Re: Periods after chemo? Did they return and when?

Hi tors

I haven't had a period since around April time last year, just before surgery in May. My chemo finished in October and I am 40. I am seeing my ONC next month but I have a feeling he will tell me the same, that they probably won't come back now. I do remember him saying that if you are under 40 they may still come back but if you are approaching 40 or over 40 then they probably won't.

Amanda xx

Anybody else able to contribute? My periods still haven't returned, they stopped last june/july so nearly 12 months since last period. My oncologist told me they are unlikely to return after this long now, but that some do still.

Vickie, you know my story re periods... had coil removed when chemo finished and periods started almost immediately....
Just wanted to say that even if your periods stop, it does not mean that you are no longer fertile! Tamoxifen increases fertility!
Would recommend that anyone concerned speaks to their GP or Oncologist.
Marguerite

i havent even started my chemo yet but for me i carnt want for my periods to stop (painfull every month not fun ) but seeing as i want a break from them wots the betting mine wont stop

Mine continued as normal all throughout chemo (i was 30), it was only about 4 months after starting Tamoxifen that they stopped for a while, but they are back now.

xx

i had 6 x ec and 6 x tax and period just returned after 10 months. i am 41.

ive not had a period since starting FEC in Nov 2009. I am on tamox, was er + and am 43 now.
eva

Bumping up for hayles36

Hallo

Age 38, had 3 fec 3 tax, periods continued through fec. Stopped on first tax in sept and haven't had one since. Though do seem to get cyclical breast pain and mood swings. Dx

hi i'm terri i am 27 and was diagnosed in january i've had a period all the way threw my fec chemo(well i'm half way had 4 fec and am due to start the docetaxel tomorrow)i was told they would stop by my 2nd fec but i think because of my age i'm still getting them.

Hi Vickie

1. I was 41 upon dx
2. Regular periods prior to dx
3. 3FEC, 3T
4. Periods stopped post FEC2 (Aug 2010) and have not been seen since!
5. I have been on Tamoxifen since Dec 2010

My cancer was oestrogen positive; in fact, ER+ status coupled with my family history means that I am considering an oophorectomy.

Hope this helps.

Nikki x

Hi everyone
I was dx 11/2004 age 42 with a 4.5cm grade3 infiltrating ductal carcinoma which was receptor neg, I started chemo 02/2005 till 05/2005, my periods before chemo were regular. After chemo I had 1 period around December 05 then nothing that is until yesterday, I thought I was starting with a stomach bug but no at almost 49 I have started my periods again I'm just hope it's a one of

Hi Vickie
I was 36 at dx, regular periods before bc, AC and Taxotere chemo prior to surgery. Periods stopped after 2nd AC. I've been on tamox for couple of years. Have not restarted periods, but had some irregular bleeding 2 years after last period, and again 6 months after that. Having pelvic scan soon-have been told it could be periods trying to restart, could be menopause. I have recently been getting hot flushes etc which I haven't had much until now.
C x

Here are some study results (Dr P Goodwin), Vickie, from adjuvant online, the number of premenopausal women out of 100 (%), who became menopausal 1 year after dx breast cancer. Mind, this is not a very recent study and does not include taxane based chemo.
With Adjuvant Therapay

With Nothing Tamoxifen chemo chemo&Tam
30 0 0 5 10
35 0 0 15 30
40 0 2 45 70
45 5 10 80 90
50 20 40 95 95

Hi,

to answer your questions;
1 4o years old
2 regular periods
3 6x taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin(tch) neo adj followed by 18 herceptin
4 periods stopped at 1st chemo
5 tamoxifen for 12 months
6. periods returned while on tamox (heavily) 18 months after stopping so had bilat ooph and now on arimidex.

Hello Thought i would add something here.
I am 14 months post chemo and 42 years old. My periods stopped after the second cycle of chemo. I started taking tamoxifen once chemo had finished. I thought I had been lucky to have avoided the hot flushes etc for menopause and thought by now I was probably in menapause.

I have just had my back flap reconstruction and was advised to stop taking tamoxifen until at least 4 weeks after the op. I am afraid the dreaded periods came back - Tamoxifen must therefore keep it at bay. I now still have the menapause to come!!!

J01

Hi there

I had chemo ,tamoxifen and zoladex injection periods returned after about 6 months of stopping everything..... Oh and I went on to have two babies ( now 9&7) xxx I was 34 at first dx. just bin dx again in other breast bummer!!! after 14 years!!!

Hi Vickie, I had chemo to reduce the tumour before mastectomy when I was 39. I had 2 kids by then. Never had a period again but was told this would be the case before they started the chemo which was called CHOP. Hope the wee one is feeling better. Loads of viruses going around. We are all affected by it in my family, even my daughter in France! Love Val

Hi ladies,

Yes i feel (touching huge amounts of wood) really quite well thanks tina. However my three year old son has just thrown up all over so think am gonna have a fun filled few days, to build on last weeks trip to A and E with him to glue his busted forehead :-( !!!

Thanks for your replies. Anyone else able to shed some light on the periods issue?

Thanks

vickie
x

i had first cancer at 37 and had tamoxifen... then really bad periods... previously didnt have periods on cerazette

after about 9 months had a mirena coil inserted which sorted out periods and only had about 1 period each year in the august.

next cancer at 40 had chemo and then restarted tamox about 4 months after last chemo.... still had mirena in had 1 or 2 really bad periods when i started chemo then none until last aug when i had lots of bleeding which was a month before my hyst and ooph.... think this was probably them returning and was 9 months after last chemo.

Lulu x