Re: Periods after chemo? Did they return and when?

Hi Maherjan.
You have had the same type of cancer as i did. I bet our medication must be similar. When you said you felt weak. Do you mean like loss in energy or fatigue? Maybe herble remadies and vitamins and herble teas might help, but it would be olso good if you ask the doctor. Also regular exercise might help too. If you don"t mind me asking. When did your periods came back after treatment? I was 36 at time of treatment now 37. Almost one year and no periods. Thank you for sharing. Good luck and take care.

I am 38yeas, 2 years post mastectomy and chemo for triple negative breast cancer. Touchwood, things are going good except for weakness in my follow up but past few months, my menstrual cycle is getting shorter. I am getting periods every 25 days which used to be 30-35 days previously.
Need valuable syggestions and experiences please

Hi Al,
Thank you for your lovely comment. I hope every thing goes well for all of us. See you too xx
Arl

Hi Leyla,
I'm sorry about all you are having to go through, so sad about your mum, and now you, it is all so worrying time but once you get told your treatment plan, it gets a little easier, it must be so tough too especially having young baby and other children, but I'm sure they will all get you through this horrible time in your life. I have just reached my 5yrs but still
wait on result of mammogram, I could be wrong I wish someone else would come along and answer, but don't think tripple negative is linked to you having a baby, it's all early days, I can't believe now that I can talk about this, because at the very beginning was falling apart, I had to ring the breast care nurse up a few times, some of my questions looking back now, I think did I really ask or say that! I hope someone can answer this post for you, I am not that much help, I'm sorry. Please keep in touch and keep us up to date with everything.x

Hi AL, 

thank you for your reply. 

I couldn`t go to the moving forward course. i have young children. I wonder if the type tripple negative cancer is linked to pregnancy, because i had a new baby then just after a month of the bith of my latest child i lost my  mum, she was really poorly, she past away from hart failiur, but also she had a rock hardness to her left side of her breast. It wasn`t diagnose because she olsa had problems with vitle organs, her hart was very week and it resulted to the poor function in other organs like kidney and liver failiur. and swelling in the body, hardness and heavyness i the breast ( i thoght it could be cancer), then at those very same time dealing with a new baby, dealing with my mothers death i felt a lump in my breast. it wasn`t as large as it was as the time progressed. i thoght it was just a milk duct, but the only difference from my experince from milk duct from my previous babies that this was not painful, and it was a bit on the upper side of the breast. i just thoght it was a milk duckt but then it did not go infact it doubled in size. then i decided to go to the doctors as i even felt it growing and moving towards my arm pit. so every one out there, my advise is if you feel any kind of lump in your breast, pease act fast and go to your doctor. it is not a joke, if you act fast you may even save your self from a major operation like mine which is the compleat removel of your breast. you can save it if your fast, thank you. good luck to every one. i`m also worried about becoming menapousal, but i feel greatful to have lovely 4 kids. i hope everyone can be able to have their child, so good luck everyone

Arl

Hi Leyla, 

Thank you for replying back, reading all the other comments below I'm kind of assuming that everything is alright, a few woman have there periods back while on medication, it's just I got a bit worried because been hearing different stories, will wait see if come back, so far have stopped again. Sorry that you had to have a mastectomy, I had a lumpectomy and all lymph nodes removed, mines was her 2, so had a year herceptin too, I must admit the chemo was the worst for me, the 1st 3 fec was fine a few side effects, it was the doxitacel was the worst bit, but then we are all different, my biggest fear was losing my hair, I know to some people it's not a big deal, to me I have never felt so scared to look at myself, yet it didn't bother me seeing others, I just wasn't that brave at that part. Thankfully my arm is improving, but can't lift heavy things for to long, I joined a gym just over a year ago, don't overdo it, but love using it for the pool, etc. I don't know anyone that has had reconstruction I'm sorry, did you go on the moving forward course? I found that so helpful, I have just started writing on this forum, which I find so useful and people are so nice, when I got diagnosed I was scared of going on the net, but a while after noticed this forum and always read different things. I hope everything goes well for you Leyla and everyone else that is going through all this.x

Hi, Arl. Thank you for your comment. So, your period came back after 3 and a half years. Then came back, but is shorter than than normal. And then it has gone again. Maybe your body is trying to come back to normal or it might be going. I think it would be best to ask the doctor to find out whats going on. But it's up to you. I hope everything will go well for you. Best whishes. I forgot to mention about the sergery. My worst part of the treatmet was surgery. Loosing a part of your body. I have had a single mastectommy to the left side. And removal of the lymph nodes. I haven't had reconstruction yet. Did any one go through this stage? What type of recontruction do you think id good. Thank you.
Arl

Hi Leyla2,
You are sounding a bit like myself, apart mines was her2 positive and on herceptin after the chemo, My period stopped on the 4th chemo, stopped for about 3 & 1/2 years then came back, for few months before that was getting cramp feelings in stomach, but all seems to have stopped, had about 5 periods, not heavy just lasting about 3 days, now have stopped again, hoping it's a good sign now, I always thought once you started with chemo that would be the end of them, and was thinking of asking the doctor for blood tests because was starting to think I was going through the menopause, but with that happening now, might leave it for a few months to see if they come back or maybe finally have stopped, don't want to put myself through anymore worry yet! x

Hi everyone, i am new to something like this. And it's the first time i am using this. I hope everyone is doing well with their treatment and life after cancer. I had my treatment around i think June 2015 up to end of December 2015, i had tripple negative breast cancer at age 36. And my chemo treatment was three cycles of Cyclopofosfomide, and Epirubison every fortnight. Then Paclataxin every week. I had a couple of periods during my treatment, my last one was very close to another type of bleeding maybe period again and that was in November 2015, i have not had anymore periods after then. Now i am wondering have i become menaposal? Does anyone know, what type of treatment is more aggresive,and more likely to couse menapousal, the ladies who have the treatment for triple negative or ladies who have hormonal reseptive based cancer treatment? Also, i am wondering, some of you ladies have had a pausing time ( periods have stoped) in your cycle. But then periods have returned and now you know that it was temprory. How did you feel during that tme with no periods? Was there any meneposal symptoms? And did it go after your body returned back to normal? Sory if i am asking lots of silly questions. Thankyou.

Hi I was wondering if you took any estrogen because Idk if in should start it or not. It's been almost two years and my period hasn't returned

Did you take any estrogen before the spotting began?

[ Edited ]

Following BC diagnosis I received chemotherapy  treatment September- December 2014 am since on  Tamoxifen, also aged 44 and have just started a light period today. This happened once before last September and lasted a day. I hope this will be similar and a one off.

Diagnosed TNBC March 2015. 3 rounds of FEC, 3 rounds of T. Last period 5/7/15, last chemo 14/7/15. Been having period symptoms, breast tenderness, cramping etc last few days. Woke this morning to a small show, looks like the unwanted maybe returning. I'm 44 and until treatment periods were normal.

Hello,

I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 31. Started chemo and my periods stopped straight away. Chemo started mid 2013 and ended late 2014. Throughout the treatment i also had a double mastectomy and an axillary clearance. Got my first period after chemo 1.5 years after my last treatment. It seemed fairly normal. Experienced period pain for a few days before hand. Unfortunately its been 2 months since my first period and i havent had one since. Im hoping that its just my body slowly returning back to normal. Im now 34. Overly excited to even have a period as i had dealt with early menopause and the possibility of not having children. Im hoping that due to having my first period that i now have the chance to have my own family.
To all you ladies out there i wish you all the very best that life has to offer. Sending all my strength and love.
Claudia xxxx

4 years ago I ended chemo. After my first treatment my periods stopped. Now I'm a little nervous because they seem to be back, not not normal like a "real" period. Very brownish and clotty. I am experiencing the cramping like a period, and a month ago to the DATE I had spotting. I'm assuming it's back. I'm 47 years old. I'm shocked that it's back now after being gone for so long.

Hello ladies

I'm 36, have been through FEC-T (with Heceptin) and surgery (starting radiotherapy on Monday). I had my last period in December (at that point around the 4th or 5th chemo session), then they stopped. I started again last week and it's been extremely heavy. Extremely. It's now also in it's ninth day. I spoke to one of the Breast Cancer Care workers the other day and she said that the first period back can be heavy, but - as it's Saturday! - was wondering if anyone has experienced the same, before I can get the GP on Monday?

Had breast surgery april 15 2014 the periods stopped and started to spot last month and now again this month  more , started to freak out so it is nice to have a place to chat !!! a year and a 1/2 was nice and im 54 !!! this should be done, well i was hoping !!!

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2012 (january) started immediately on chemo. Periods stopped in March of 2012. I woke up this morning and noticed I was bleeding after going to the restroom. I'm assuming I started my period again. It's been so nice not to have this to worry about for four years. I never thought I would have my period again. It's been almost exactly four years since it stopped. Anyone else out there who's had this? AND I"M 50!

Thank u for sharing your beautiful story.

i did recieve a cycle afterwards. after i stopped chemo my period came once every 3-5 months. after 2 years it became regular (28 day cycle). i did a video on my journey please check it out:  https://youtu.be/d13g9Wky4us