cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Periods after chemo? Did they return and when?

Re: Periods after chemo? Did they return and when?

hi dear

hope everything going well on your side just want to ask you that

are you still having your period? i am curious because i have the similar stroy going , but i am 34 years old 

doctor told me it looks my menopuse started , havent had my period for 2 months , worring sso muchSmiley Sad

chemo also finished 2 moths ago

wish you well

So after 2.5 yrs ofnot having a period, mine returned today. Is this normal? Should I be concerned after it being so long? Im not sure what to think about this. I thought I was done. My doctor did tell me that it may or may not return.

Hi.

I was 35 when diagnosed 36 when I finished 3 x fec and 3 x docetaxel

My periods came back today, 7 months after my last docetaxel and probably approx 6 months after the chemo left my system. My periods stopped half way through chemo just after the start of docetaxel.

FYI I saw a fertility doc and she said that immature eggs stored deep in your ovaries take 6-9 months to develop and mature at which point they get to the surface of your ovaries. Then they are released, and soon after that you will have a period. She said the developing ones are likely to get damaged by the chemo. Therefore, if all of the developing ones are damaged, it will take 6-9 months after the chemo drugs are out of your system (at least) before any new ones develop and come to the surface. She was exactly right in my case.

Hi
I'm 44, I was diagnosed February 2012, had mx, recon and 6 x FEC. Periods stopped after 2nd chemo, had a period last month which was very heavy and have now had another one again very heavy. Anyone else experienced this? Should I be worried?
Gillian xx

Awwww what lovely news! Huge congratulations to you! Keep is posted on the little bump xx

Hi All, following my earlier post, I can now announce that I am happily pregnant. Please, anyone in a similar position who may have fears about chemo affecting their fertility, know that this is not always the case, and that there is hope for fertility after aggressive treatment and chemo for breast cancer. Best wishes to you all, :-)

Hi chewbecca,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies, I have put for you below links to some of BCC's publications you might find helpful. Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/fertility-issues-breast-canc...

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/about-breast-cancer-care/support-younger-women-brea...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi All.  I was diagnosed with aggressive non-hormonal breast cancer in Jan 2005, aged 29.  Had lumpectomy, followed by 6 cycles of FEC chemotherapy, then daily radiotherapy concluding in November 2005.  I had Zoladex implant to temporarily shut down my ovaries, to protect my fertility during chemo.  When my treatment finished, my periods came back within four weeks of the Zoladex implant wearing off, in 2005.  Fast forward to December 2013, and I have been trying to conceive since having my coil taken out in Jan 2012 (implanted 2008).  I am starting to wonder if the chemotherapy may have some way damaged my ovarian reserve, or the quality of my eggs.  I have had an ultrasound scan of my uterus and ovaries in August 2012 and all was normal.  The sonographer said a follicle on my left ovary was enlarged and about to release an egg, but no good news to date.  Any advice?  Does me having periods mean I am fertile?  I am producing viable eggs?  I have a regular cycle, average 27 days...  Thanks, Smiley Happy

Hello MJ

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I'm not sure that this is the best forum for you but as you are looking for support from other ladies who have been through chemo I have set your post live.

I would suggest that you maybe look at the Macmillan Website as the support from them my be more tailored to your present needs, here is a link to their site. http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/LymphomaHodgkin/Hodgkinlymphoma.aspx

With best wishes

June, moderator

MJ

Hello,

I happened upon your post. I am a survivor of Hodgkin's Lymphoma and am desperately searching the web for a relative story.

I was diagnosed Stage III in Oct 08 at the age of 31. I did 3 different forms of Chemotherapy to get Remission in Nov 09. I was told after the 2nd Chemo that I was in Ovarian Failure. I underwent a Stem Cell Transplant in Dec 09, followed with 4 months of Radiation. Almost immediately went through menopause symptoms and was later told I was Post Menopausal. This was 3 years ago....

8 months ago I started HRT because I was just so miserable and I have to say that it really has helped. 2 weeks ago I got a menstrual cycle - almost 7 days long. I have no idea what it means and whether I will ever have one again. I was just curious if you have continued to have a cycle?....

I appreciate story. It is nice to have someone to relate to. 

I was 42 when had my chemo (FAC 6x), for 2 years I was on zoladex and for 5 years will be on tamoxifen (2,5 years left to have tamoxifen) My periods never stoped. Now I am 45. Everybody is very different.

Hi diagnosed at 45
periods regular till then
5 rounds of FEC-T
Periods stopped after 2 Chemos (along with hair)
After chemo, hormone tested and was told I was in menopause
Taking arimidex
No sign of periods (been 2.5 years now) but get stabbing ovary pain occasionally and remaining breast achy feeling sometimes
Was told my periods would not come back

Bumping up for Mandy x

1. Diagnosed aged 29
2. Periods were very regular before, always got very bad period pain the first day or two, fairly heavy, but nothing out of the ordinary.
3. 6 rounds of FEC-T chemo (3x FEC and 3xTaxotere). Cancer was triple neg, so no hormone treatments or continuing drugs.
4. Periods became irregular during FEC and stopped completely after first Taxotere.
5. No hormone treatments or injections.
6. I'm now five and a half moneths post-chemo and no periods yet. I was getting quite a lot of hot flushes and night sweats, but they seem to be subsiding a bit. Whether this means my periods will come back, I don't know. My GP said to wait 6 months after chemo and if I've still not had a period they will do some fertility tests.
I feel lucky that I've never wanted to have children, because the fact that chemo could make me infertile was never mentioned to me prior to treatment. It wasn't until I read through the info sheet that I found out and brought it up with them. They also said it wasn't standard procedute to offer egg harvesting or IVF before starting chemo. I was very shocked that none of this was even mentioned to me, considering my very young age (29) and the fact I didn't have any children yet. Like I said, I'm just glad that even if it has made me infertile it wouldn't affect my plans. I really feel for those who are childless and want babies, or were planning on adding to their families. Like we need any more heartbreak after everything we go through!

1. How old you were at dx?
-->47
2. Were your periods regular or not before?
-->irregular and often fairly heavy
3. What chemo you had, if any?
-->6 x Docetaxel and Herceptin (May to September 2012) currently on Herceptin and Zometa
4. If/when your periods stopped?
-->Last one was before starting chemo
5. If you had hormone therapy and/or the injections to keep your periods away?
-->No, hormone treatment contraindicated and cancer only weakly sensitive anyway.
6. If/ when your periods came back, and if they are regular now?
-->Not returned as yet (5 months post chemo). Lots of hot flushes & night sweats instead.

I'm 33 and my periods didn't stop during chemo. I realise this is not normal, has this happened to anyone else?

1. How old you were at dx? I was 33
2. Were your periods regular or not before? Very regular and very heavy
3. What chemo you had, if any? FEC T for 5 months and now on Herceptin (and radiotherapy)
4. If/when your periods stopped? As soon as I started chemo periods stopped
5. If you had hormone therapy and/or the injections to keep your periods away? I am HER2+ and ER- so hormone does not help me.
6. If/ when your periods came back, and if they are regular now? Periods have not come back and its been 11 months now.

I also get terrible hot flushes which I feel sometimes are ruining my life, I have been put on a maximum dose of venlafaxin for this and they have more than halfed, instead of getting about 50 hot flushes a day I only get about 20.
I really hope my periods come back because I really want to have children. I just got married 3 weeks ago.
All the best to all of you lovely ladies xxx

Hi,
im replying to an earlier discussion tha
im replying to an earlier discussion about having pms and stabbing n twinge pains in survivg breast. I also am experiencing that and had a mastectomy 6 weeks ago and i wanted to know if the pains in surviving breast were from the pms ? I know ive been feeling like my body is prepared to get my period and all the pms but nothing is happening.

Thanks for continuing to post your own experiences ladies. This is such a useful resource and I'm so pleased to see that it isn't slipping not the abyss of threads that fade......

Bumping itmup today for Hazza81. Hope the wealth of experiences on here helps you Hazza

Vickie
Xxx

Just to add my experience:

Yes, they were regular.

6 x FEC-T

Periods stopped halfway through chemo.

I am on tamoxifen, started at the same time as RT.

I got a period just over four months after I finished chemo and they have been heavy and regular (had three so far). I didn't miss them but at the same time it feels like my body might be returning to some normality, which is nice.

1- 42
2- yes
3- 4 cycles of AC
4- stopped immediately when chemo 14 years ago think I had probably only had one in first few months
5- no hormone therapy am TN
6- never returned

Wendy x x

Hi

Update to mine
-->46
-->random and heavy due to fibroids, sort of controlled by contraceptive pill
6 FEC-T May - Aug 2012 currently still on Herceptin
-->Stopped as soon as I started chemo
-->No hormone as cancer not hormone sensitive.
-->First one just over 4 months since last chemo, no idea whether regular yet.

Squeakymouse xx

Hi! I've never posted but have been stalking the site for the 17 months since my diagnosis. I found all of the variations on this thread reassuring, so I thought I'd add my experience to the list for readers who follow Smiley Happy
-->Practically 38 (37 + 50 weeks)
-->Had an irregular cycle my whole life, with 4-10 weeks between periods, but pretty predictable symptoms before & during. The first day was always a bit heavy and uncomfortable.
-->FEC-T x8 from September 2011-February 2012 (then surgery, radiation & a bit of Herceptin)
-->Periods carried on through the 4 FEC and stopped during first T (docetaxel)
-->I had 7 shots of Herceptin from February to June, then stopped.
-->Once in mid-November and again in mid-December I had a couple of days of very light spotting. Yesterday (mid-January 2013, so about 11 months after my last chemo) my period came back with a vengeance! Heavy heavy heavy flow + normal abdominal pain. Sorry if this is TMI but when I say heavy I mean filling a mooncup or a mega-size tampon every 1.5 hours + big clots.
I'll try to remember to come back and update you on how it unfolds - whether it settles into some routine or stops or whatever - as I think it'd be useful to know not just IF it came back for people but how it's been as time goes on.

Hi all,
I am confused about my fertility now because i am having a period after being told in April 2012 that i had gone through menopause! Doc said i'd never have kids (i dont have any either)after i had 2 blood tests a few weeks apart to confirm.My eostrogen levels were in my boots and so i have had to accept that i am through menopause and will never have kids but how come i am having a period now? The pain as well is like the worst periods i got as a teenager and i feel like hell.
I was 36yrs diagnosed with triple neg invasive duc cascinoma in 2009. Had chemo,masctectomy and radio. Periods stopped after first FEC. About a year after treatment i had signs of periods coming back and little bleeding and then nothing until April last year, i insisted on blood tests as i had migraines for 16days in one month when i usually get them 2-3 times a year! I knew it was hormone related which is why i insisted on the blood tests which then confirmed post menopausal state.
It is all so confusing. Periods are the eggs that have not been fertilised but if i have no eggs left how come the period?!!!
I don't know how to get the best information about this or where?
I totally empathise with you all.
mx

Diagnosed in Feb 2007 aged 43.
Periods were regular pre diagnosis.
Chemo 3 FEC 3 Tax
Zoladex injections
Hercepton
5 years on Tamoxifen
Periods stopped after first chemo and have only just returned 4 months after stopping Tamoxifen. Flushes have stopped and I am now frantic worrying about oestrogen production as i was Her2+.
Will call GP after holidays to ask to be referred back to Oncology.

diagnosed at 35 just ha d second docetaxel (5/6) and at the end of my third period since chemo started. cycle has been a couple of days longer and the period lasts longer than it used to. but basically quite 'normal' periods. a great deal more clots than normal, but i think the clotting i had beforehand was abnormal anyway.scans i have had since dx have shown bulky uterus and fluid in endometrial cavity, but no discussion of what this mught mean. i have intense hot flushes and my onc said this was because of the effect of the treatment on my oestrogen, but as far as i can tell, my oestrogen levels must be quite normal? but i had less frequent flushing prior to dx anyway (which i linkef to CFS/ME?).

i am ER+ (5/8 i think), but worried that my periods havent stopped.

i have always been worried about the effects of hormones on my mind and body and had issues with postnatal and pms symptoms in the past. i requested a hormone test a couple of years ago snd my oestrogen levels were quite high. i alSo have melasma which can be linked to oestrogen. so im worried about all this, and how i will cope with hormone management regimes Smiley Sad.
no idea about hormonal therapy later, but ive been told its likely, and perhsps ovarian ablation?

Thank you tors this is all very interesting. Bumping for Jen

Bumping for fonduegirl

Just bumping up for some new ladies who wanted to read it. X

Hi
I was diagnosed in April 2010 at 38 ( nearly 39) and before periods were very regular. I had 3 FEC and 3 Tax then a year of Herceptin. Periods stopped after first chemo and have not yet returned. Have been on Tamoxifen just over 2 years.
xx

Hi ,
My dx was July 2010 at age 46. I was previously having regular periods. I had mx and FEC T Chemo for 6 cycles and after my first Chemo I have never had another period. I currently take Tamoxifen . When I last saw my Onc she says she will change me to Arimidex next June 2013 when I will have been post meno pausal for over 2 years. I hope my periods do not return in the meantime as I am desperate to come off Tamoxifen as it makes me feel so strange. I am 49 in November so I am keeoing my fingers crossed .
Love Tracy xxx

Erratic (i have PCOS)
6 cycles FEC-T (3 of each, 3 weeks apart)
4. If/when your periods stopped? They stopped just after cycle 5

Nope. I will be having hormone therapy as i am ER+ve. I will have zoladex and letrazole
They have come back 11 weeks after chemo finished. VERY heavy. My Onc now wants be on hormone treatment asap.

Regular

FEC x6

Mid way through chemo

2 years zoladex and tamoxifen

4 months after ending tamoxifen and zoladex.

Just bumping up to enable anybody new to put their story on here ie. What happened with your periods before, during and after treatment, what that treatment was and how old you were. This info is a good resource for ladies who are struggling to find any info out about what to expect or what is "normal" ( clue: there seems to be no normal!)

Bump

Bumping for tazzie

Hi, I was dx at age 43 I had regular periods, had 6 chemo, 3 fec and 3 tax. My periods lasted into the 3rd chemo then stopped, they came back in April this year, 10 months after chemo finished and 7 months after rads. xxxxxxxx

Bump

Bumping up for El Kat x

Hi
1. How old you were at dx? 46

2. Were your periods regular or not before? Crazy random heavy periods before, sort of controlled by Mercilon, thought it was premenopause but turned out to be fibroids

3. What chemo you had, if any? 3 x FEC about to start 3 x Docetaxol and 12 months Herceptin.

4. If/when your periods stopped? Stopped before chemo not had one since

5. If you had hormone therapy and/or the injections to keep your periods away? No hormones as cancer not hormonse sensitive. Stopped taking Mercilon before starting chemo.

6. If/ when your periods came back, and if they are regular now? Haven't come back

Squeakymouse

Hello All

It's been a while since I have been on here. A quick question. I was diagnosed at 45 (now 47) back in 2005. Had a lumpectomy, chemo, rads and now on tamoxifen. Periods stopped after 2nd chemo but have just returned today. I'm worried that my oestrogen levels are high again. Are there any other ladies out there whose periods have started again nearly two years after treatment? I was quite happy to have finished having periods as they were very painful, so I am dismayed that they have come back.

I am having my mammogram results meeting with my surgeon on Monday so maybe it is a question to ask him.

Thanks

Just wanted to say that I am 4/6 through FEC chemo - TN so no hormone issues and have family sorted so not worried about fertility issues - hubby had vasectomy years ago - but since my first FEC in Jan I have had three periods - no sign of them stopping - arriving as normal - I am 38 and my mum went through menopause at this age so I am quite surprised that they haven't stopped - they must not stop in everyone?

Bumping up for Emily

Hi ladies thought about this thread this week.I finished my EC chemo on oct 27th and had my last period (if you can call it that )the day after. When i started my rads i started hot sweats and sleeplessness and continued to have no periods. This week 6 months later my periods returned. Im 43 and hormone negative .
Sharon xx

Hi Raechi

My friend had chemo twice & had zoladex to protect her ovaries & now has a little boy to show for it so I'd say go for it x

Twinky x

Hi All,
I am so glad i found this thread. I am just embarking on my chemo journey (i start tomrrow) having been diagnosed 6 weeks ago at 36. I've not had any children yet and do want some and i have been offered Zoladex during chemo - and i really dont know what to do.
Its nice to see so many ladies on here where there periods have come back. It gives me some hope - but i am in a proprer dilemma as to what to do re: Zoladex.
Why did my onc only tell me today when i need to decided tomorrow. Grrrr.
i am ER7, so i dont know how they will treat me in the future considering i do want to have little ones. Will wait and see, but seeing some of the posts on here i am glad to see my chance of being a mum may not be gone forever.
Rae
x

Hi I think I'm a little different here.
2006 DX:35yrs
Periods were very irregular prior to treatment, had gone as much as 8mths between periods( I had polycystic ovaries syndrome).
Had 3 fec and 3 tax + radio.
My tumour was aggressive and hormone sensitive.
I had no treatment to protect my ovaries from treatment.
Periods returned after last chemo and have been every 4 weeks like clockwork since then.I wasn't expecting to go through the puberty I should have had 20yrs before, and I have to say my mood swings were fairly spectacular.
I noticed a a big change all round in terms of my periods and all that goes with them.
In April 2010 I came off tamoxifen in order to have my second child, 5mths later I was pregnant without any assistance. I was taken off the tamoxifen because of the possible damage to a foetus. It can be so radically different for each of us that whilst the docs can take an educated guess there is no hard and fast rule (I was told I would go through a menopause and my periods may never return).
I hope things settle for you and that the responses you've had from us all are of some use or comfort.
Nicci x

Hi there

Tors - Not great timing is it!

I was about to turn 46 when diagnosed and pre-menopausal. I'd had a hysterectomy so no periods but had had blood test prior to diagnosis for other health reasons to check hormone levels.

Post chemo I was definitely menopausal for a whole 18 months. My surgeon was convinced that was it and that I should be switched from tamoxifen to an aromotase inhibitor. My Mum didn't have menopause until late fifties so I had a sneaking suspicion that my ovaries might kick back in. My Onc also didn't see it as clear cut and so they agreed I could have bloods checked every 6 months.

Sure enough 18 months later showed that my ovaries had once again kicked in - oestrogen levels had risen and FSH etc not indicating menopause at all anymore.

Here I am now at 48 and still not in menopause and still on tamoxifen. My oestrogen levels aren't that high though now so probably more like peri menopausal which I think can go on for years before actual menopause.

My tumour was 8/8 ER+ and 8/8 PR+ and I did query the need for zoladex or oophrectomy and told that tamoxifen was sufficient.

Elinda x

Ha, that's so typical! Mine returned unexpectedly the morning I was going into my children's school to make 80 pancakes!

My oncologist said he doesn't want me to have zoladex injections now as I am just 2 years out from initial dx, plus only vaguely oestrogen positive at 4/8, so the risks would outweigh the benefits. I think it would have been more of a discussion and grey area if I'd have been more oestrogen positive or they had come back more quickly after my treatment.

I have a tip for getting periods to return - book a romantic weekend away!! My Periods stopped in July, mid chemo, no hint of one since. Got up last month to go on my first break away since diagnosis last April to discover my period had started- lasted 3 days , the duration of my romantic break then stopped - wonderful!!
I am also only vaguely hormone positive, 4/8 I think, and was expecting oncologist to suggest the zolidex but he was happy to leave them because I'm only a bit hormone positive and he didnt think it was worth the possible side effects of the zolidex. I was quite happy with that as didnt fancy taking anything else, already on the tamoxifen.