cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?

Re: Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?

Hi Ramade, I've only done one cycle but almost immediately became a bit constipated. Not too bad as I tended towards diarrhorea before. Docs should read this thread. It is apparently possible with cape to have an explosion in the morning and constipation in the afternoon. They say variety is the spice of life. I've been prescribed laxido to offset the constipating effects of codeine. Seems to work.

Let's talk about the weather

love to all Bon xxx

Hi carolyn

i hope your platelets and blood spots recover before next round. Thanks for confirmation it’s not just me who spends half the day in the loo! Are you ok when on the peachy pills as for me it’s everyday on or off pills! I too eat bland food, soup, oven chips and baked potatoes, I don’t eat dairy but my OH has found lovely puddings for me made from coconut milk. They are a treat all from Sainsbury’s!

Scan booked for Monday 7.20 in the evening, I’m usually heading for bed soon after that so will be excited for a trip out in the dark.

results the 6th Feb. Hoping for stabilisation or improvement in liver as new oncologist described it as extensive liver lesions of all sizes. 

Trying to stay positive.

Good luck to all on cape. Xx

Community Champion

I have had a few explosions too with cape on the week off. Try to keep to plain foods ..I live on cuppa soup, rice pudding and ice-cream! !! It's about 2 hours after each meal I agree ..then it's a mad dash to the loo . It's a good treatment though so worth trying to keep going with it. I'm hoping my platelettes recover after Sunday when I finish the peachy pills for a week and go clinic Wednesday for blood results. The blood spots on my arm faded a bit but now over my face ...yikes not a pretty sight but it's only cosmetic.

Hi All

I've had good news my tumour markers are now down to 1600 from 2900 3 weeks ago so going in the right direction. I’m on my third cycle of cape, I’m finding it quite hard to manage, I eat and then 2 hours later I’m on the loo. Every meal!! I’ve tried the Imodium given to me by chemo nurses but this just gives me worse stomach ache. I’m not sure what to do, it really restricts what you can do, I spend the majority of my time at home because of the tummy problems, just wondered how others managed it!

i have also had my dose reduced for 3rd round from 2150 to 1650. But no change to tummy or fatigue.

any suggestions welcome! 

Good luck to all cape crusaders! 

Bel xx

hi all,well i told the onc that i had bad constipation and he said no this meds gives you diarrhoea.

well i guess that's it then. i have bought some Movicol though, on the sly!

ramade xx

Hi Ramade, if you decide to give it a go get one as natural as you can, and if you find it helps it’s very easy to make your own, trust me if I can anyone can! Kxx

Thankyou Kate i will look into Kefir

Ramade, hugs to all xx

Metoclopramide is the third anti sickness drug i have taken, (been feeling sick for over a year now and only just started cape) and it seems to work better than any of the others. Still don't feel like eating.

Hi All ,

It sounds like we all have the same SEs...tummy ache, diarrehea followed by constipation and a sickly feeling after eating. Also my fingers have started to crack and bleed. But if the pills are doing their job, I guess I'll keep on popping !

Also, thanks everyone for travel advice

Love to all..GG xxxxxx 

Hi Ramade, have you looked into taking Kefir? It certainly helped me when I had problems with infection after some dental work, which I appreciate isn’t your issue, but two friends of mine..one did have bowel problems, the other more digestive (ulcer and indigestion)..have found it has helped them, so it may be worth a try. Kate xx

Community Champion

Yes agree but hate all these things . At the moment I just feel sicky so taking Metoclopramide which hospital have issued ..not sure if it's working that much ....but I'm trying to eat something ....
Chatting with gp next Monday (no appointments ) so telephone help with all this medication .
Sympathise with constipation ..hate it ..spent an hour in loo yesterday trying to shoot the rock out! Too much info ..whoops .

thanks Carolyn, i really want to stay on it because it's working.

Ramade x

Community Champion

Ramade

I don't get on with Gaviston ..doesn't do anything for me at all. I use rennie tablets and things the hospital prescribe for the trots or constipation. Horrid side effects to deal with .....xxxxx.

Can anyone help, side effects are really sore tummy and either  constipation or diarrhoea. Does anyone take gaviscon for this?

Community Champion

Hi Lynn

I don’t have any links to the armed forces but my Dad did and I think it was through him that I found out about this policy. I still think it’s pretty reasonable even without the discount. The past couple of years I haven’t been able to travel further afield due to being on chemo so have used Eurotunnel again for European trips. As I’ve said I’ll try and update the travel insurance thread and let this thread get back to its roots!

Having said that 8 hope all Cape crusaders are coping with the side effects and any dosage reductions help, but still kick the little uggers hard.

Nicky x

Hi Nicky.  We also use Axa Ppp and have done for three years.  I have claimed once on a trip to Majorca for UTI and submitted the receipts when I returned home and received a cheque back from them within a week..

Like you say it Covers both of us = another benefit for us is that there is no age limit, a lot if insurances only cover up to 70 and my husband is 74 now.and has had a minor heart arrack.

i discussed the terminal question with my Onc and he said that he didn’t consider.secondsry as terminal, these days it is incurable but treatable and he said that he saw no reason why we shouldn’t be having the same conversation next year when it is due to be renewed again.  He did say that he can’t predict the future but then nobody can about anything.

when I rang and spoke to the insurers I mentioned this to them and the lady asked me if I had ever been told that I had less than 12 months to live, I said no and she said that wsa all she needed to know.

Do you have any connection to the military - we both served and were told that the price was discounted because of that.

have a good time Nicky, if you feel that you can do it, go girl

ramade x

Community Champion

Hi Graceland girl

Id say go especially as your oncologist has said you are fit to travel. Pace yourself as others have said. Since my secondary dx in 2008 we have gone several times to USA and also to South Africa on a couple of occasions. In fact we’re off to Miami next month as I’ve just had my most recent scan results and as I’m still stable and currently NED in my liver I have grabbed the bull by the horns! The stumbling block will be insurance. I have just taken out an annual (yes, annual!) policy with AXA PPP who will cover me and my husband for worldwide for £465 which I think is a good price. They don’t ask any questions about health although there is a question about being terminal. When I said that I had secondary BC but it was being treated and wasn’t curable they said that it was fine. They only do annual policies so if you can find a single trip one for less then maybe go with that. I will update (when I can find it!) the travel insurance thread.

Happy holidays!

Nicky x

Oh I would say go for it. Me and hubby went to Las Vegas and really enjoyed it. As said, just be sure not to overdo things and you should be fine. We upgraded to premium economy so had more legroom and space to walk about- previous dvt so had to be careful. The insurance is a pain. Finally managed £440 for the two of us for 10 days. Life is for living and no pockets in a shroud etc etc 😁