Community Champion

Re: Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?

Thanks bJr .very sensible having the port fitted ..when I had primary I had a picc line but it was so uncomfy. .think these new ones are more comfy and designed for long term use.
Think hunt the vein is the worst bit of scans etc.
Hope u doing OK with your treatment too ....xxxx

Hi All

i often read that ladies have problems with needles, bloods taken etc, , which is what I had for several years, however earlier this year I had a port a cath fitted, its brilliant and I don’t get problems at all. 

A lot of hospitals don’t offer the option unless you asked, which I did and they arranged to have fitted quite quick. (I only learnt about it from a fellow chemotherapy patient)

Contrast for scans go in, bloods out and chemo in. Once used a small plaster on and off I go.

over the summer I as able to swim etc as  all that’s visible is a small bump on my chest and no external tubes.

The last straw for me was when they had to take bloods from my feet, very painful and slow and bruises horrendous.

im sorry if you already know about this but I didn’t so thought might be worth a mention here and help someone else having similar problems that I had.

good health to all. X

Community Champion

Hello Ramade
Yes same symptoms. Apples are out. ..I do eat bananas but otherwise it's a nightmare eating with a dead face. I mainly eat cuppa soup and tinned rice pudding for ease ! I don't get headaches or any pain though. Just fuzziness and a bit confused ..can't believe I finish chemo pills Saturday again for a week. .the 2 weeks regime goes so quickly .
I'm still black and blue in my arms from hunt the vein for contrast on the ct scan last week. Hope she finds a good vein for blood test next week.
Not sure when I get scan results ...
Well think I have Xmas pressys sorted ...just a few money wallets to make up ....not much food needed as out for Xmas dinner so won't be one of the many pushing 2 trollies round Sainsburys. .do they eat all that food or does it end up in the wheely bins?

Morning all, hope you are all coping.

Carolyn, thanks for your reply i thought that might be the case with the brain. They are not talking about wbr yet but they are going to biopsy the neck lump because i have to physically hold my bottom lip down on the left in order to eat. Whole apples are out as i'm sure you've found. i think i'll have to ask my daughter to mash my food up as she does for the little ones lol. how are your twins by the way.

hugs Ramade x

I’m a week in on first round of peachy pills and apart from feeling slightly nauseous in the morning, I’ve not been too bad. Liver pain has started to ease off as oramorph kicks in. Nurse said to maintain pain relief not try too get on top of it once too bad, so at the moment that’s what I’m trying to do.

still waiting for biopsy result.

Is this normal, whatever is normal, start to cape. I’m not sure what to expect!

good luck to all and stay well. X

Community Champion

Oh Ramade
You have the same symptoms exactly as I do...obviously you haven't had the wbr treatment either.
They did say that cape takes a lot longer to work on the brain than liver and lungs .so fingers crossed that it does it magic soon.

Hi all,hope everyone is still coping and having some success with the peachy pills(Carolyn thankyou)

Cape is going ok for me so far after first few days. i have cancer in neck,brain,brachial plexus and bones.

my Face is numb all down left side and i can't open my mouth very wide so eating is difficult. i have also lost balance so can't be let out on my own. So i'm wondering does anyone know how long cape takes to work if indeed is it working on me. Trying to stay positive.

hugs to eceryone

Ramade xx

Community Champion

Hiya Melinda
Phew you have been through the mill with wbr ..they do say its tough. My oncologist says that cape works well on liver /lungs but does take longer to hit the brain ..and there is about only 20% of it doing that much . Very few chemo do break through the brain lining though.
Peachy pills crusaders ...keep taking them .

Yes,  I think I had them for a while but never had a scan on brain until they thought they saw something on my spine and then did an MRI.

I had whole brain radiotherapy,  It was a very easy procedure and very quick but I have never felt so low in my life and I really didn't know how to cope for a few weeks afterwards but thankfully with a very supportive family I came through.  I just hope that cape can help, I wasn't aware until reading your post that there are chemos that can reach the brain !  I really should ask more questions but to be honest I am so scared I just want to get out as soon as I can. I had the WBR in February this year. xx

Community Champion

Hiya Melinda
Gosh didn't realise u had brain mets too ..how long ago? And did u have treatment ? Apparently mine are quite rare. .only affect 5% ..trust me to get them.

Carolyn,  you have such a lovely sense of humour with all you have to cope with Smiley Happy.  I did have brain rads and I must admit to "going along with it" and not putting much thought into the implications.  Looking back I should probably been more questioning.  Still its done now,  I just wanted them to make it go away !!  I hope you are having a nice day and managing lots of on line shopping treats for yourself and family .

Hugs and positive thoughts as we wait our results xx

Community Champion

Hello Melinda
No I don't mind sharing the brain mets thing. The ct scan missed them in March when I started getting a numb face ..in July I had a mri brain scan and that's where they were found. I declined whole brain rads as with oncologist it was decided that it wasn't good odds. ..oncologist is hoping that cape will hold things. I got a paralysed left side of face ..no pain just hard to talk. I get a bit dizzy and balance problems but I can still keep up with conversation and online shopping !
Hope this helps
🐸🐸🐸🐸

Hi Carolyn,  it sounds like we were scan twins last night !  I still panick after a scan even after 3 years of it.  I will now be a hopeless case until results day .  I really need to keep it together so I don’t ruin Christmas for my  family, I just worry about getting stocking presents muddled up and wrong labels on parcels. I suppose it’s keeping my mind busy .  I hope you don’t mind me asking but do you get many side effects from your brain mets ?  X

Community Champion

Hello Melinda
Hope your scan went OK last night ...mine wasent too bad as I had 2 x brain and 1 x body. ..about 20 minutes once the cannula was in !
Apparently they took 1000 images. .so that's why it takes so.long for results. .aagh .
Community Champion

Well ct scan all done. 3 attempts at vein though for contrast. Results 3/4 weeks . Think I've got so used to results now ...I'm not going to fret too much!
☺☺

Sorry, meant to write Lyndy (duh)

Good luck with your scans today, Melinda and Carolyn.
Glad that Tamoxifen is working for you, Lynne; it is much easier that chemo. I would like a little break from Cape, but don't want to tempt fate by stolpong it.
Hope Cape continues to treat you all well. Have a good week everyone

George 🤗

Hi Melinda.

I was convinced my last scan would show something going on with the tissue around my ribs as I had numerous lumps that weren’t there before. I’ve no idea what they were but they didn’t show up on my ct and they’ve disappeared now.
Also, stress can play havoc with your lymph nodes and so can meds. When I had my primary diagnosis last year there were a cpl of lumps on my neck which also disappeared.
Community Champion

Melinda
Sending vibes to you tomorrow too ..agh hunt the vein for the contrast is a pain in the bum too !! Hope the radiographer is good with it.
Linda
Glad tamoxifen is being kind to you after the taxol u had to endure ...

Caroline my scan is at 6 as well.  I will be sending you positive vibes.  I really think a scan results ban should be enforced in December!,  I always get December flaky brain without this added stress.  Good luck tomorrow x