Re: Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?

Hi Moijan and Waffles, thanks for your positive responses, making me feel much better about the thought of having an operation, although things might change after MDT meeting. Consultant hadn't had much time to analyse scan but, I agree, the fact he was talking about an op is encouraging even though I felt scared, and still do, about the prospect of an operation. How is your new treatment going Waffles?
Moijan, might be asking you more questions as you have had surgery. I have read up about the procedure and know it is quite major surgery. I am at the QE in Birmingham which has a reputable liver unit, so I believe. Things are a little complicated as I have only just transfered from another hospital so they have only just received my notes, etc. Oh well, will have to wait until Friday for final decision.

Hi Nicky and George, 

I only found out 4 months ago that I have liver mets as well as one on left lung and the bone mets as well. The onc has told me one of mine on the liver is 21 mm but nothing has been said about it. I am just finishing second lot of cape and haven't been too bad.

I started on Docataxel in February but after second lot I had a perforated bowel as diverticular had burst. Not had any chemo since so hope the cape works. I don't want docataxel again as it was bad.

Hope you both get on ok.

Liz x

Community Champion

Hi George

Im exactly in the same position as you so maybe we can buddy up?! I have had liver mets for over 3 years now (and bone mets for over 8 years now). My liver mets have responded really well to the treatment I'm on (Herceptin and Perjeta) but one rogue lesion is playing up - the other 4 have now disappeared. The thought  was RFA, even though my lesion is slightly outside the parameters, but now we are talking surgery just to make sure everything is removed. My lesion is on its own in the right lobe so surgery is considered to be fairly straight forward  (if ever it can be!). I am waiting to hear back from the MDT meeting this morning but I have told my onc I will want to have surgery if it's the best option. Luckily for me our local hospital has an excellent liver surgeon and team and they perform liver surgery on secondary as well as primary liver cancer patients so I feel I would be in very capable hands. Maybe once we know what our individual plans are we can compare notes by PM or on here?

Nicky x

ps Hi to all Cape crusaders - hoping the treatment is being kind to you but killing those m

nasry little uggers off relentlessly!

Community Champion

Hi George

i had a third of my liver removed due to a pre cancerous condition...the liver does regenerate....but yes, the thought of the op is 'yikes'

however, it is less usual to do hepatectomies for bc secondaries, so if they are suggesting that....they must have confidence that it would be helpful...ask lots of questions!  So you can make a well informed choice. 

Not sure where your hospital is, or if it has a liver unit? But Kings College Hosp london has a world renowned liver unit...you may want a second opinion?

very best wishes,

moijanπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š

Hi George,
I know getting bits of your liver removed sounds really scary but the fact they think it is worth doing and your mets are so tiny is great news. Good luck with whatever treatment you choose. xxx

Forgot to say, he was talking about removing a third of my liver as I have 3 lesions, one at top of right lobe and 2 at bottom. Yikes and double yikes!

Hi Moijan

Thanks for asking. Bit of a mix up really as MDT meeting had not considered my case as scan had not been read. I had to wait 1.5 hours on Friday while radiographer read my scan and then consultant came up with a few proposals, main one being an op. I thought I could have RFA , but apparantly lesions too small, biggest one is 5mm. Good for me, but not for them. Have to go back this Friday when MDT meeting will have taken place and there should be a definite plan. However, op looks likely πŸ€•πŸ˜·πŸ˜¨. Hope all well with you

George x
Community Champion

Hi George,

how did you get on at the hospital? Hope all was well?

MoijanπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š

Highlighted

Yes, think it is as Onc always used to ask me about my hands and feet. I used to get some leg pain while on Taxol. Always best to check with your team though. Hope you are managing to get some rest. On train to hospital. Yikes😯

Think the chemo symptoms kicking in as have had tingly feet all night! Will mention to nurse tomorrow but does this sound normal for palitaxol? I'm pretty sure I got this on Fet/t too! X

Thank you Barton xxx

Thank you Bonareinsis xxx

Sending you a big hug George and all the best. Thinking of you xxxx

Thanks, Bonariensis. Trying to remain calm, but not succeeding. Can't even have a drink as due to take Cape tablets in a minute. Oh well, this time tomorrow will know. Have a good evening. Hope things going well for you

George x

Hi Abney

Glad you're home, Take it easy, easier said than done I know.

Hi George

Best of luck with your scan results tomorrow, will be thinking of you.

B xx

Get results of MRI scan tomorrow. Terrified. Doubt I will sleep tonight. Yikes 😯

Hello Abney, glad you are home safe. Hope you feel less exhausted soon - it probably is the cocktail of drugs you are on, but take it easy and rest as much as you can. Hope the new chemo works for you. 

Hugs. Barton.x

Hi Abney

Must be a relief to be back home. I bet your little boy missed you. Make sure you take it easy. Glad to hear chemo wasn't too horrible, think it is one of the 'easier' ones - if such a thing exists. Hope you have lined up lots of dvds to watch while you recover. Spoil yourself x

Hugs, George.

Hi ladies I got out of hospital yesterday after two weeks in! Just adjusting to being home again but just feels so strange! I'm so exhausted but I think the chemo this week was ok. I think it's all the other medication I'm on making me quite spaced out! Back for more chemo on Monday. Just hope it works. Still can't quite believe what happened!! Hope I can get my strength back soon but a relief not to feel as ill as I did before!! Sending lots of love and sorry for short post. Xxx ps thank you so much for all your well wishes xxxx

Hi Helen I'm not a Cape friend but I'm a friend and hope things settle down and you feel better soon. B xx