Re: Palbociclib

Hi Mags, sorry you’ve had to join this side of the forum, and hope your treatment goes well for you. It’s no secret on here that I’m firmly in the no processed sugar camp, and firmly believe in omitting it, or cutting down as much as possible. While it’s true, all carbs will be converted to sugar, the type of sugar is important because it affects the speed it’s released into your blood, and this is greatly increased with processed sugar as opposed to natural sugars, where absorption is slowed down. Fibre is very important here as it greatly slows down absorption, making most natural sugars slow release, therefore insulin is released more slowly into the blood and the “insulin spikes” are lower or avoided. Whereas insulin is instantly released with most processed sugar, which has nothing in it to slow it down. These spikes generally put extra work loads on other organs, which are usually having to cope with the added pressure of treatments and medications, so probably need all the help they can get! I’ve always said I don’t think lifestyle changes will cure me but I do believe they help to keep you in a better position to deal with whatever this disease throws at us! I agree there are many people who have followed really healthy diets who still get cancer, but diet is only one of many factors involved but is one we can help. To be fair, where do you ever read processed sugar is good for you, or fruit and vegetables are bad?!! So yes, I believe sugar does help cancer to party! Kxx

Welcome to the forum nobody wants to have to join mags. Great that you seem to be coping so well with the meds. I hope they’re doing their job for you. 🤞

The sugar thing is a tough one. I think all cells good or bad feed off glucose. If you stop eating normal surgery things then apparently the cells will get it anyway by converting it from other things like bread.
Some ladies on here swear that avoiding sweet things is one of the keys to starving cancer. Others who have been living for many years with secondaries say they haven’t avoided sugar and are doing very well.
Even scientists disagree with each other on this one. So who knows. I certainly don’t. It’s a very sticky subject on here.

Good luck with your treatment. Xxx

Hi feelthefear,I'm a newbie to the forum. I've found it really helpful & supportive reading the posts. I'm on letrozole & palbociclib, just finished my 6th cycle. No problems as yet, also I'm on calcium injection & tablets since the breast cancer came back to party in my bones in my spine. All bloods normal apart from marker going up slightly, which my great oncologist said not to worry about. Does sugar help cancer to party? I never knew.🙄

Morning Annie.
I haven’t been told to avoid anything yet. My nuets have already dropped to 1.5 following my first cycle.
I feel absolutely fine though. Apart from the letrozole aches and pains.
I think we have to be able to enjoy our lives while we’re going through treatments so embracing tiny snotty noses should be mandatory. 😀
Excellent news about the lung mets. How long was it before you had shrinkage? I’m really hoping for the same with my liver mets but have convinced myself I can feel them. Xxx
Community Champion

Hi ladies, I feel as though I'm hanging in by the skin of my teeth! The Palbo is crashing my neutrophils and I'm not recovering very quickly. I started in November on 125 mcg and had a two week hospital stay, and the dosage has had to be reduced twice, so I am currently on 75 mcgs. Also the rest  'week' has been extended. Starting today we( me) are trying two weeks on and two weeks rest. Neutrophils have managed to creep up to 1, so I am not very confident about the outcome. I'm sticking it out, though, as all four of my lung lumpies have shrunk. My energy levels are recovering, but I am advised not to swim, gym or anything where I am open to infection. Does that include four loving grandkids?!  Love to all. X

Hi. I started to shed hair within week 1 of palbociclib. So I shouldn't' worry. My hair was really thick, now much thinner but wig not needed. Keep smiling.

Thanks for the reply riversidedawn. Here’s hoping I’m the same.
I really love my hair and it’s just starting to get to a decent length as I had it cut very short for chemo.
I’m really mourning for my lost boob lately knowing that reconstruction is now not an option so to lose my hair as well might tip me over the edge. 🙄 x
Community Champion

I'm on my 8th cycle of palbociclib with letrazol and can report zero hair loss. I also cold capped through 14 rounds of fec-t and kept most of it.

Hi Chris.

I’ve just had my initial two week blood test results. My wbc is slightly low, though I been told it’s normal and nothing to worry about.
How has yours been?

Hi Chris.

I’m only two weeks in to palbociclib but all well so far.
Apparently sugar feeds cancer. Saying that I’ve just been on holiday for a week and ate desserts every day so I’m not doing to well at avoiding it at the minute. 🙄
When did you start shedding hair? I’m really hoping not to. I cold capped on chemo last year and managed to keep most of it. The tiny bit I did lose is just getting to a decent length.

Best wishes to you too.

Hi feelthefear

How's it going with Palbociclib? .........well I hope. 

I noticed you were avoiding sugar, what is the thinking behind this?

Going through 2nd cycle now, all well apart from shedding a lot of hair.

Good Wishes.

Hi feelthefear

How's it going with Palbociclib? .........well I hope. 

I noticed you were avoiding sugar, what is the thinking behind this?

Going through 2nd cycle now, all well apart from shedding a lot of hair.

Good Wishes.

Yeah moijan, I think in an age where there’s less and less money being spent on proper journalism, it’s always important to fact check stories wherever you can.

It’s a lot cheaper to twist something out of a bit of research and make a headline grabbing story than to actually investigate and research one.

I’m just relieved I don’t have to give up bread. 👍
Community Champion

Hi ftf that article was very informative and sounds more relevant than the telegraph, glad you posted the link...it explains clearly why we shouldn’t worry...and people on Ibrance May well be worried about this.

hugs

Moijan

Thanks for the dates tip kate. And almond butter 🤔 well I love almonds and love butter so I’ll have to seek that out.

Hoping you both have a great weekend. We’re having a bbq tomorrow and it’s forcecast to rain. 🙄

Hi, Thanks for info. Just been on the Inspire site and got a more balanced view. Jury out I think.

Take Care.x

[ Edited ]

FeeltheFear and Christine, thank you both for your kind replies. Medjoul dates are the way to go if you want something sweet! The high fibre content makes the sugars slow release and dates are very good for you, as I’m sure you know. I sometimes put some almond butter where the stone was and it really does taste like fudgey caramel! I’m sure the odd sweet wouldn’t hurt at all, my problem is one or two wouldn’t do the trick, I’d want the full bag, no half measures! Enjoy the sunshine and vitamin d while it lasts. Kate xx

Hi Kate21.

Thankyou, found your comments really encouraging. I like you believe that diet can possibly improve the outcome of any treatment given. Hope it continues well for you.x

Kate, how awful that cancer got your Mam and now you find yourself in your own battle.

It’s fantastic that you were NED so soon after diagnosis. Long may it continue.
I am avoiding refined sugar, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss it now and again and I didn’t even eat that much. I did enjoy the odd jelly or boiled sweet though. X

Morning Chris.

I hope you can get back to fell walking soon. I can imagine how you miss it. We love walking in the lakes.

Re diet; there is an article on the American site inspire.com on the secondary breast cancer forum where an oncology researcher discusses the research that was printed in the telegraph.

It’s worth a read. He says there’s absolutely no evidence to support what the story states. I tried to post a link but it won’t allow me.

If you google ‘soy genistein and ibrance study inspire.com’ you will find it.
Can’t see the point in having to give up bread too if there’s no need.

Ibrance is the American name for palbociclib. It’s worth signing up to inspire as there’s an absolute wealth of info regarding these drugs on there. The American’s have been trialing them for years.

I do try to avoid refined sugar.
I can’t wait for Monday to arrive so I can just start the palbociclib. I did really well on fec-t last year and apparently it’s nowhere near as bad as that, so I’m really hoping this is the case.
I cold capped on chemo and kept 99% of my hair. I really hope I don’t lose it now. 🤞 x