cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemo Buddy Needed - Anyone Currently on Eribulin?

Community Champion

Re: Chemo Buddy Needed - Anyone Currently on Eribulin?

Thank you everyone. Chemo tomorrow yippee ( not) 😎
Moijsnx

Me, too, Moijan! Hope everything went well! xo

hope tomorro goes smoothly for you Moijan

xx

Community Champion

Hi again, Lori

I am ok thank you. Have been a little tied up.....two hospital visits today.....all together, I attend 4 different OPDs which is a lot!

have blod test again tomoro and week 2 day 8 on Thursday.

yes...I too hope you have a good run on Eribulin...my last mri has a bit of a query on it...so will know more after my next one. But ive been on it for almost a year.

Hello there! :-)

Funny enough, I just ordered nice eyelashes for a wedding in July. Maybe mine will be grown in by then! 

I suppose everything is going well! There are definitely challenges, but I'm pretty thankful for where I'm at. Feeling optimistic, but cautiously so...Like I mentioned in another post...the Abraxane was supposed to work for a good long time and ended up stopping after about 2. Fingers crossed the Eribulin keeps going!  

How about you? How is everything going with you? 

Thanks for passing along her message, Carolyn! Hope you are doing well!
Lori

Hello there! I'm so happy to hear you are doing well on the Eribulin! That is fantastic! I am currently heading into my 3rd cycle tomorrow. I tolerate it pretty well...aside from being exhausted! I also get Faslodex shots once a month.

It is encouraging to hear people's hair has stopped falling out! I've been dealing with breast cancer since 2008...it's been metastatic since 2012. It's been a hell of a roller coaster, for sure. As it's been for most, I'm sure! I don't want to get my hopes up about Eribulin...I think it's working well so far, but the Abraxane was working well for 2 months then...nothing. So...fingers crossed! 

Thanks so much for your quick response! 

Lori 

❤️

❤️

❤️

Community Champion

image.jpeg

Thank you Carolyn, buddy, very kind.xx

Lori....welcome, what more can I offer, I guess we are all different...Losing my haiir seemed my worst fear as had lost it twice before, but had grown to enjoy having it back again. As Carolyn said, I lost it ( quite fast) on Eribuln, not all, but a bit friar tuckish and then that stopped and later maybe 4/5 months ago it started returning, but its still very fluffy and sparse and I cover it with hairpieces, wigs and scarves.

You got me thinking..l.my eyebrows are not really back....just downy sparse again and no eyelashes at all.

have been on Erib since last June. I wash it very rarely, dont rub or heat dry it.-see how you go xx

Moijan💚💚💚

Community Champion

Hiya Lori
Moijan who is the queen of this chemo has been on it for 11 months with very good results.
She hasent got access to WiFi to reply and asked me to post for her ...she said she lost all her hair but it grew back after 4/5 months.
As soon as she gets beamed up again ..she will reply with some good advice no doubt .
There is a lot of info here further back on this thread which might help.
Xxxc

hi there Lori,

I lost lashes and brows, and my hair went thinner after my second Erib cycle and then everything started to grow back with a vengance as soon as I had a break, so luck lucky you that Erib has given you a hair growth spurt!
I missed my lashes more than anything!

How is everything else going?

Hi ladies, 

My name is Lori and I've just joined the group. I was wondering if there is anyone who lost their hair, eyebrows and eyelashes from other chemo then, once they started Eribulin, everything started growing back. I will start my third cycle on Tuesday and I have so much fuzz on my head and it seems to just keep growing. What is even MORE exciting is finding my eyelashes are starting to grow back!! I think I've missed my eyelashes and eyebrows more than my hair (and, if I do say so myself, I had great hair!).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! 

Hope everyone is hanging in there!!

Thanks so much!

Lori 

He's great thanks Moijan,

although not happy about having his sleep disturbed last night with the tremendous thunder storm!

Have a lovely w.e to you and everyone

xx

Community Champion

How is your horse doing?  This is a donkey grinning duh oh and he needs a shavexximage.jpeg

Glad your day went well Moijan,

I hope the upside of the heat was that it helped your veins. This is certainly difficult weather for wigs.

Its such a nervewracking time waiting for scans/results, like being on a constant rollercoaster.

Keep cool today,

all love xx

Community Champion

Hello spongebobs

tms are down further still, so awaiting my day of scans to see if im to change therapis.

feeling well....day 1 was today(thurs) apart from the heat in my wig...ugh.

take care now,

Moijan💚💚💚

Community Champion

Golly.....sounds exciting that you are both retiring....and you still a mere slip of a girl! Helen!

im awaiting a day of scans in June to see if im remainng on Eribulin......(this Thursday will be my last day 1, if not, so I will feed back to you in about three weeks)

hope all goes well for all you soggy ladies! And it has worked well for me...im the first one ive heard of who has gone 10 months of successful progress ( i dread to think what the next step for me might be........perhaps off a cliff?) anyway will feed back when I know.

moijan💚💚🙄

Marnster, that looks amazing, hope you had a great time.

One Spongebobber reporting in - I have 5 days left of work before I retire at 49, not quite what I envisaged in life before SBC, but here goes, I am determined to enjoy myself and do what I want to do inbetween chemo. My OH is also leaving the school where we both work at the end of July so I am busy planning a summer of fun! It's a beautiful sunny morning here on the Isle of Wight so hope to get out for a good walk later. Smiley Happy

How are you fellow Spongebobbers doing today? I hope that you're managing the the eribulin as best as possible and it is working magic on you.

Sending lots of ((((((((((((cyber))))))))))))) hugs.

Love Helen x

oh that blue sky. . .I'm not jealous honest!

xx

I have just come back from a week's holiday in Victoria visiting Melbourne, the Mornington Peninsula and Phillip Islamd. It was a lovely break with beautiful beaches, spectacular scenery and got to see Little Penguims and seals. 

Back to chemo on Tuesday for round 3 of carboplatin/gemcitabine. Then a scan on 12 June to see if it is working. Am also trying to plan my next trip away!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

all fine and dandy here Moijan,

I have lyphodema in my left boob, or rather in the boob-shaped bit surrounding the implant so alas, a bikini is not for me on this holiday. . .but if I wear the beachball on the other side at least I'll have a matching pair!

Good scan report this week has lifted spirits considerably. Liver tumour stabilised so have eight weeks off chemo with blood tests to check TMs, scan again beginning of July.

Hope everyone else is as well as can be.

Will send postcards asap

xx

Community Champion

Carolyn! I realise this will be as big a big shock to you as it is to me.....but rumour has it, a very large airbus marked 'Spongebobbers Explorers - Off on World Tour' was seen getting airbourne at Gatwick Airport....

late last night!

so I guess Withasmile, Kay, Marnster, Lizzie5, Atters,Helen, Nicky and Uncle Tom Cobley, have all vamoosed with their overnight bags and beach balls!

aah, Such is life, 

Moijan💙💙💙

Community Champion

Xxx
Community Champion

Will drop in later to catch up!💚💚💚

Community Champion

Hello ladies! Oh Dear! Its the 20th May already! Wasnt expecting it this earlyxx

" Has this thread gone Dead"?

or are they in Bed!

this is the weekender - 

so time for a Bender!

so how are the 'bobs'

all feeling like blobs?

or - if in the garden?

I do beg your pardon!

So lets shake a leg, 💃🏼

and put on our shoes 👠, 

theres some of us here, 🎎🎎🎎🎎

lets all share our news ✏️🎈📞🏖

Community Champion

Thank you Bon xx

How are you ?

Mx💚

Hi Moijan, I'm sorry to hear your news is not so good, as usual you are sharing your wide knowledge and wisdom with everyone else and for that we are very grateful.

Big hugs for the scans and all the waiting that goes with them, B xx

Community Champion

Hi Lizzie5, Welcome,

Have been on Eribulin for about 16 cycles...it has had a big impact but now there are queries about wether its beginning to fail.

Have had so many uti's, have lost count. I am now resisting Cipro because it can cause tendon damage....tendons can suddenly snap without any warning even years afterwards, there is a black box warning about this drug in the USA ...and a few court cases - the drug actually changes the cells which the tendon is made of.see link below.

Posted a summary re my experience on Eribulin a week ago, but this is the gist of it.:

have now been on this drug for 10 months....it has been a bit of a miracle drug for me....and im grateful as it killed the bc in my liver and that site has not regrown...........however, I understand there are  a few very tiny
new growths in my liver that can now be seen on an MRI.

Currently im still on this drug, but am due for a plethora of scans after 6 weeks......and then....not sure just yet what the plan is.

New ladies, take heart. This is a kind chemo, a very short time on the needle...I have had very few side effects at all, though, week 3  I am always very moody and latterly a little depressed. 

HAIR.

I tried the cold cap but it lengthened the treatment time from 20 minutes, to nearly two hours, so gave that up..
lost lots of it, and its now regrowing...get yourself a wig or other asap, unless the tufty look suits you!

NUTRAPENIA

This drug does affect white and red cells, So I requested filfgrastim at the outset and have not had problems...I actually think it has helped me remain well and less tired.

URINE INFECTIONS

have had so many of these, ive lost count! They are listed as a side effect and so drink loads, wipe from front to back and pee after any other activity down there!...dont get constipated as the overcrowding down there causes stasis in the urine drainage and can allow bugs to grow, which wouldnt normally if pee is flushing regularly......drink bucket loads of water...especially after chemo for a few days. I often drink out of glass measuring jugs to see how much ive had.

SORE MOUTH

only had this during my first cycle, but I mouthwashed with sodium bicarb..which sorted it.

i had no diarrhoea, no sickness, my nails keep splitting tho...so

NAIL SPLITTING

I add a coat of clear nail polish to fingers and toes as neccessary.....

the instructions say. "Avoid alcohol" I sometimes  have broken that rule, but never went overboard. 

LASTLY

this is purely my own opinion, but this drug is the third one that has been very useful in controlling my bc....
each of the three has failled pretty quickly after I had a break...this time, I only took oneweek off and bingo, the mri showed new growth....I personally think its not a coincidence.....obviously you must make your own choices, but believe me...next time I find a wonder drug......I wont risk a break......it happened after two weeks off during Cape and after I stopped Letrozole, following 6 successful years on that...

the other thing I did recently was have much more sugar than I should have and so, im going to address that too.....after the horse has bolted....but no matter.

I really wish you all the very best results on this drug, love and hugs

Moijanxxx💚💚💚

https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a688016.html

[Ciprofloxacin may cause swelling or tearing of a tendon, especially if you are over 60, if you take steroid medication, or if you have had a kidney, heart, or lung transplant.
You may not be able to use ciprofloxacin if you have a muscle disorder. Tell your doctor if you have a history of myasthenia gravis.
You should not use this medication if you are also taking tizanidine.
Stop taking this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have sudden pain, swelling, bruising, tenderness, stiffness, or movement problems in any of your joints. Rest the joint until you receive medical care or instructions.]

I should add that I've had 2 UTI's since being on Eribulin! Not the usual symptoms either. Shaking chills and fever of 102 both times. I keep Cipro on hand.

This cartoon typifies my worst side effect of eribulin 😱

Started my 4th cycle today and was warned it's a tough drug! But for me it's the first IV chemo that has worked for any length of time. My ca27-29 markers have dropped dramatically and my liver studies are normal for the first time in a long time. Hard to figure out that one. Were the cysts on my liver which have been stable for 4 years really not cysts? Did the other IV chemos ( Taxol and Doxil) cause them to rise so high? Or did the numerous CT scans miss something?

I had already lost my hair on Taxol which only worked for 2 months and it had started to grow back. I see no further loss on Eribulin. To prevent mouth sores, the nurses suggest you eat a popsicle when the chemo is actually given.( after the anti nausea drug and the dexamethasone.) It has worked for me.

My main side effects are leg and back pain and the fatigue which has increased over the past year with all these drugs. I had a good run on Femara which was the first drug I took after my stage 4 diagnosis of mets to all bones in 2013. Otherwise failed all subsequent AI's. 

In 2014 I was diagnosed with ILC to the peritoneum which slows bowel motility so can't take as many opiates as I should. Laxatives nightly. Ugh! 

Sorry for the jumbled story. My first time on this forum!

I should add that I had 15 good years without mets after lobular cancer in 1998!

Community Champion

Hi everyone,

yes, its the werkend again!

have a great one xxx

Moijanxx

Hi Spongebobs

Just checking in to see how everyone is getting on - hope you are all coping with the eribulin at the moment.

Have a good weekend, let's hope we get some sunshine Smiley Happy

Love Helen x

Community Champion

Hi ladies, hope things are going well with you allxx

image.jpegJust nipped in to see if Nicky was about.....as id pmd her.

by the way, i dont quite look like this, not just yetxx

from https://secure.herbs-hands-healing.co.uk

I thought this this recent link might be of interest to some of you.

I've found some herbs, teas and certain foods very beneficial in supporting Eribulin and previous chemos....of course check with your onco if unsure. I'm lucky, mine is very open to complimentary help.

"Herbs chosen to specifically help the nervous system need to be able to orchestrate recovery as speedily as possible because the longer the body remains in a flight or fright response, the more long-term damage can be done. So, therefore, plants that are able to nurture the adrenal glands, balance and calm circulatory and heart activity, soothe pain, relax spasms, reduce inflammation and generally tranquillize, whilst keeping clarity are important.

Many of you will be familiar with ‘Chamomile & Vervain’ Formula which has been used for decades to support the nervous system for a wide range of situations. Indeed it was the focus of a 6-month placebo-controlled trial at the Hammersmith Hospital London in their cancer centre on chemotherapy patients, over 20 years ago. It showed that this formula helped those normally fearful, anxious, introverted and withdrawn during chemotherapy time-frames to become more sociable, confident and relaxed. Certainly, the herbs proved themselves to be reliable over and over again.

Foods to choose

Oats - contain a nervine call Avinine – an alkaloid which restores the nervous system, short and long term. They are best eaten in the morning for the day ahead, hence muesli in the summer and porridge in the winter. (Gluten free oats are available) Buy steel cut oats or whole oat groats and soak them overnight or cook them in a slow cooker. Don’t buy brands that have been processed under a lot of hot steam, which destroys this precious alkaloid-even if they are organic!

Botanical Algae like Spirulina and Blue-Green Algae are rich in B Vitamins as are sea vegetables which are rich in minerals. Both feed and sustains the nerves.

Don’t forget fresh & dried nerve teas

Chamomile – so calming and the more bitter tasting, the more restorative to the nervous system.

Lavender – a fantastically calming herb proven to help with anxiety in recent trials.

Rosemary – It helps build and repair the nervous system making stress easier to handle. Make a fresh cup if you have plants. Use the leaves fresh with boiling water.

if you do facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/HerbsHandsHealing/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Yeah I get sensitive teeth two found sensitive tooth paste helps. X
Community Champion

Hi ladies, lovely to have some updates from so many. I am now coming up to my second cycle, after a very drawn out first cycle. Hoping bloods will be OK for the fist dose and them I'm on the filgrastim injections for 5 days between that and the second dose. I'm waiting to see what happens with my hair. It fell out massively just after dose 2 but seems to have slowed down now, very thin on top so I'm sporting a nice Bobby Charlton look at the moment! I've bought a wide hair band to cover it up which looks Ok so a decision will be made depending on how much falls out after/during the next cycle as to whether I keep it, shave it off or have it cut slightly to get more shape in what I do have.  As to other side effects I do get a change in taste buds initially but this seems to wear off so I am eating more or less what I used to. My eyes water like crazy, even worse than when on Herceptin which was bad enough and I do get a bit constipated especially for the days after chemo, I have to remember to eat some dried fruit which seems to help so haven't resorted to any medications and also get a bit of acid reflux but, again, not taking any particular meds, just anti acid tablets as and when I need them.

Moijan, hope all goes well with the scans and either you stay on this regime or another, equally kind one, is sorted for you.

Helen, good to hear from you and we must have another Hants meet up, especially if I can now get into a routine which has been all over the place the last few months.

Take care all and have a good weekend whateve you are up to.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Actually, I do seem to recall someone on Eribulin getting a painful jaw.... have a rummage through the other Eribulin threads
I get sensitive teeth, but dentist thinks I grind them in my sleep

Thank you Withasmile, 

I am going to give that a try stewed fruit and custard. Yummy. 

Hugs

Shirley. Xx

hi Shirley

I can't say I've had a painful jaw after having Eribulin but I do get tense and clamp my teeth with tension on chemo day and tighten everything in my neck which aches the following day.

Fresh fruit loses all taste (along with many other things) so I've been stewing mine with cinnamon and some fresh grated ginger and am now seriously addicted to stewed fruit and custard!

I also don't much fancy meat.

xx

hi Helen

I hope your MRI shows good results, I must confess forty minutes of Carpenters would give me worse SEs than the chemo! Smiley Wink

Lovely that your hair has stabilised and you're happy with your short cut after growing it after past treatments.

I reckon we all get different side effects because once our immune systems are compromised it hits our individual weakest points?

ta for the hugs,

xx

Hi again

Does anyone get a painful jaw after having Eribulin? After each time treatment I have had really bad pain in my jaw. The pain killers work and it is only the first day after treatment. Just wondered if anyone has had the same thing. 

Hugs

Shirley xx

Hi all, 

My eating is terrible. I hardly eat anything but what I do eat is usually sweet. I went through a time when all I would eat was muller rice pots, but my taste buds changed and they didn't taste the same, but now I am eating bread and butter pudding with custard. I don't fancy any meat, I use to love fruit and veg but it doesn't taste of much so I don't bother. Bad I know, but it is keeping me going. 

Hugs to all

Shirley x

Hi everyone

Really useful recap from Moijan - thank you. I have had a few UTIs recently so drinking loads of water. My hair has definitely thinned since 1st cycle (23 Feb) however it has settled into a nice short style and I keep my fingers crossed, don't wash it too often & use Batiste brunette dry shampoo to freshen it up.

Had an MRI this morning - looking at the bone mets this time. Went in early, 40 mnutes listening to the Carpenters with my eyes shut & done!

Hope you are all getting on ok & managing the side effects as best you can. I often wonder why these drugs affect us all so differently, strange isn't it?

Big ((((((cyber)))))) hugs,

Love Helen x

Community Champion

Hi withasmile,

im convinced that as cancer cells have at least 29 sugar receptors on their cell wall.......that loads of sugar is not ideal  i have had more recently, but am definitely cutting out as much as I can......

its a toughie because sugar is comforting...but for me now, it has to change, also my teeth arent brilliantxxx

moijanxx

Community Champion

Hi Atter

I dont know what treatment is next...im thinking it may not even change......depending on my scan result.

very best wishes for you on Eribulin....

hugs,

Moijanx

Morning Moijan, 

I also found your re-act helpful. Like you I have had UTI's which I have lose count of. Some of them have stormy treatment. I get very fatigued. I lost all my hair very quickly, but it is growing back now. I had a sore mouth after the first cycle which landed me in hospital. 

Can I ask you what your age is? I am 55 and seem to have been dealing with the same things you have. 

Do you know what treatment they will give you now? 

Warmest regards and hugs, 

Shirley. X

a great re-cap Moijan, really helpful. Lovely to hear from you.

I've had no urinary infections no diahorrea or sickness but have struggled with fatigue.

I was advised to use dark nail polish to block the light getting on nails, and that worked well for me except big toenails split off halfway up and then regrew strong.

I've been reading some very interesting research on sugar and cancer and another opinion is that lowering sugar can help PREVENT cancer in those who do not have it, but it makes little difference for those already diagnosed and for whom a pattern has formed.

I like to think 'everything in moderation' is the best way.

Like you, I'm uncertain what the next stage of treatment is- I have my scan next week.

Love and hugs to you xx

Community Champion

Hi Ladies,

have now been on this drug for 10 months....it has been a bit of a miracle drug for me....and im grateful as it killed the bc in my liver and that site has not regrown...........however, I understand there are  a few very tiny

new growths in my liver that can now be seen on an MRI.

Currently im still on this drug, but am due for a plethora of scans after 6 weeks......and then....not sure just yet what the plan is.

New ladies, take heart. This is a kind chemo, a very short time on the needle...I have had very few side effects at all, though, week 3  I am always very moody and latterly a little depressed. 

HAIR.

I tried the cold cap but it lengthened the treatment time from 20 minutes, to nearly two hours, so gave that up..

lost lots of it, and its now regrowing...get yourself a wig or other asap, unless the tufty look suits you!

NUTRAPENIA

This drug does affect white and red cells, So I requested filfgrastim at the outset and have not had problems...I actually think it has helped me remain well and less tired.

URINE INFECTIONS

have had so many of these, ive lost count! They are listed as a side effect and so drink loads, wipe from front to back and pee after any other activity down there!...dont get constipated as the overcrowding down there causes stasis in the urine drainage and can allow bugs to grow, which wouldnt normally if pee is flushing regularly......drink bucket loads of water...especially after chemo for a few days. I often drink out of glass measuring jugs to see how much ive had.

SORE MOUTH

only had this during my first cycle, but I mouthwashed with sodium bicarb..which sorted it.

i had no diarrhoea, no sickness, my nails keep splitting tho...so

NAIL SPLITTING

I add a coat of clear nail polish to fingers and toes as neccessary.....

the instructions say. "Avoid alcohol" I sometimes  have broken that rule, but never went overboard. 

LASTLY

this is purely my own opinion, but this drug is the third one that has been very useful in controlling my bc....

each of the three has failled pretty quickly after I had a break...this time, I only took one week off and bingo, the mri showed new growth....I personally think its not a coincidence.....obviously you must make your own choices, but believe me...next time I find a wonder drug......I wont risk a break......it happened after two weeks off during Cape and after I stopped Letrozole, following 6 successful years on that...

the other thing I did recently was have much more sugar than I should have and so, im going to address that too.....after the horse has bolted....but no matter.

I really wish you all the very best results on this drug, love and hugs

Moijanxx

Eribulin was a walk in the park for me, 50% hair lose but grew back quite quickly, if i rested the day after treatment i was fine the rest of the time. Gutted to say it didn't work for me, massive progression on it after 5 months, back to taxol. Good luck everyone on it, wished it had worked for me!

Hi Moijan, 

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. My father died so had other things on my mind. 

No one has said anything about my markers so I don't know if they are measuring them or not. I have just had a CT scan so will know if anything has worked or not. I am due to have more chemo next Wednesday, bloods all being well. 

Hope you are doing well along with all here. 

Warmest regards

Shirley xx

hi Sarah,

I hope all goes smoothly on Friday and you can continue ok with the reduced dose.

I'm glad the dexamethasone helped and hope you're eating again.

Good luck

xx