Community Champion

Re: Ablation vs Liver Resection

Hi mo

Thanks for the update and great news that the ablation is now taking place.  I know what you mean about delays in getting more scans done to determine what is needed and then running out of time to get a procedure done.  I wish you a quick and speedy recovery - at least you are only in overnight and I'm sure won't be in too much discomfort after the procedure.  

Holding your hand and sending you strength. Would love an update once it's over and done with.

Nicky xx

ps Echoing mo's thoughts and sending Seasons Greetings to all xx

Good luck for Thursday Mo. Sounds a good treatment for liver mets. Shame it is not available at all hospitals might avoid many of us having to go through chemo.

Can I ask did you ask to be put forward for the treatment or did they suggest it to you?

Let us know how you get on.

Linda

[ Edited ]

Good luck on Thursday Mo

Your long wait is over which must be good.Take all the support that your friends offer.

Bon xxx

Community Champion

Good luck with tomortow ..it's a very scary to face but u seem to be ready to go for it ..you do have good friends as support so hopefully they will be doing their bit. .don't be too proud though Mo.accept anything that will make life easy .
Xxxxx❤❤❤❤

Hello Mo,

Good luck for Thursday, really pleased you are finally getting the RFA. I’m sure all will be fine and please let us know how it went as soon as you are able.

love Debs

Dear everyone,

first of all dear Nicky, I hope you and your family have coped with your recent loss. I lost my mum and dad just a few years ago and I do understand. Still miss them every day. There is so much to do when one feels least like doing it.

I am posting today just to say that my ablation op has finally arrived and I go to the Churchill in Oxford on Thursday. It has been a long journey to get here.........my onc referred me back in July!........but there we go. The mri that oxford asked for in August ran out of time but they decided not to have another in the end because so much time had already slipped past. I had a ct on Saturday instead and met the radiographers who will be there on Thursday. I am nervous........but have no choice, so will go forward with hope. The radiologist said I have 4 spots he is targeting. I think 2 may be small and uncertain but he said he wants to make the most of the opportunity. I will have to stay overnight......ugh......because of the general anaesthetic, then home alone, although I have good friends.

Anyway I thought I Would update in case anyone in the threads is looking for liver info. Ablation certainly sounds a good way forward although as we know there are awkward restrictions. I think I am lucky that I have been able to wait so long.........my liver mets seem to have behaved, with at least no reduced liver function, and I still feel fine. It is not done at every hospital so that means radiologists are under pressure I suppose. My plan is to come back here to report about my experience and recovery!

take care everybody, and Seasons Greetings!

mo.          x

Sorry to read that your dad has died Nicky. I can’t imagine the difficulties of sorting out everything when he died abroad. It’s a dreadful thing to have to do anyway. Xx
I don’t post on this thread but do follow as I’d love to be able to have the option of ablation or resection in the future. I’ve got everything crossed that the palbociclib is working for me. Stable would be fantastic but a reduction would be even better and hopefully open up more options.
Community Champion

Hi Anne

Keyhole surgery, that’s good! Your recovery time will be so much quicker than mine and also the scar won’t be as big! It must also mean that your liver lesion isn’t too big so they are able to access it all without opening you up so to speak. Yes, do update us all, shared knowledge is a really good thing especially when it’s first hand rather than reading about it in some medical pamphlet as many of the less mainstream treatments don’t get so much information written about them.

Hi to all other liver mets ladies, hope you are doing well. I’m still a bit overwhelmed by the paperwork associated with my Dads recent death (mainly due to it happening whilst he was abroad on holiday) so am not on here as much as I usually am. I hope that can change quite soon and I can get back to some normality - whatever that might be!

Nicky x

Thank you Nicky that's really helpful. I have just heard they will do laperscopic surgery within 4 weeks. I'm so relieved not to need chemo. I'll keep you posted xxx

Community Champion

Hi Anne, I’ll try to help!

My largest liver met was in the right lobe and therefore very accessible. It had been biopsied on 2 separate occasions so I knew they could get to it! I had 2 smaller mets show up on a pre op MRI (they were too small to show up on a CT) and these were all removed in the op.

I had to go into hospital the night before to be ready for the following morning, I was first on the list. The op it self I think only took an hour or so, maybe a bit longer. I came around in ICU and stayed there overnight before being sent up to the post surgical ward. You are fitted with lots of tubes to deliver pain killers, some of which allow you to dispense extra pain relief and also drains to get rid of fluids. I was able to eat once I’d come round sufficiently and in general you stay in ICU to make sure there are no complications.  On the post surgical ward I was also kept under close observation, right by the nurses station. Gradually tubes were removed and pain relief reduced. I was encouraged get out of bed and sit in the chair on that 2nd day and you have to do deep breathing excercises to protect against pneumonia. That day, or the next (I can’t remember which) my catheter was removed which was a nuisance as I now had to walk to the loo! Luckily the 2 bed ward had an en suite. I was discharged from hospital on day 5 which was a bit of a shock as I suddenly had to rely on tablet pain relief. That was the worst bit, going home and managing on pretty low level pain relief. I’m sure I could have got something stronger but wasn’t prescribed it (unfortunately). You are encouraged to walk and not just sit around, either in hospital or after discharge at home. My stitches were removed about a week or so after the op, leaving a very long scar which healed well. I wasn’t able to drive until 4 weeks after the op, although that is down to your insurance company rather than a directive from the consultant. I think that’s about it but ask any other questions and I’ll try to answer although I’m not on the forum so much at the moment due to a family bereavement which is taking up a lot of my time at present. My op was done at the North Hants Hosptial in Basingstoke where there is an excellent surgeon, look on their website for more info as it is a centre of excellence for abdominal cancer surgery so I knew I was in the best hands.

Nicky xx

Hi to all other liver mets ladies, I have been reading but not had much time to log on, hope you are all doing well. Xx

Hi ladies

I always read this thread as I like to know what is being offered for liver mets. I have had liver mets since 2014 - first lot of docetaxel got rid of them but they came back in late 2016. Unfortunately the largest one is in the most difficult place in the liver it could be (typical!) ie right under my diaphragm. I have been on kadcyla, eribulin & currently on paclitaxel since Oct 2016 & it just keeps increasing a couple of millimetres between scans. Originally I was told that ablation/resection was not an option & was actually on the table ready for a liver biopsy when they changed their minds & said it was too dangerous to do the biopsy. It all gets very frustrating!

All the best to everyone with their treatments. Hope to see you soon Nicky.

Helen x

Hi Nicky 

I have just been told that a liver met of around 2.5 cm has reappeared in my liver. The last time was 2 mets in 2015 which were ablated. The MRI shows a difficult position so RFA not an option this time. I've been given an outpatient appointment to see Professor Heaton head of liver at Kings on Monday. The nurse said on the phone that he will see if surgery is possible. I think the met is in the right side of my liver. I was looking on the forum for women who have had this treatment an d found you! I've got lots of questions that will obviously be answered Monday but in the meantime can you tell me more about the surgery/ hospital stay/ recovery time etc. Also what will happen if he decides he can't operate? I'm dreading the thought of another round of chemo.

thanks in advance

Anne

Hi Mo,

Well  at least you are a step further to ablation. We seem like performing seals having to jump through hoops to get what we want. I didn’t realise you had to hav a failed treatment to get RFA just thought you had to be stable! I continue to learn. 

Keep in touch and yes stay warm xxx

Thanks for letting us know, Debs, about  your biopsy result. Mine too confirmed that the liver spot is a secondary. No surprises there really. My onc says if he refers anyone again for ablation he will book them an mri and a biopsy beforehand, to save time! It has been 3 months since his referral at the beginning of August. Anyway, your result seems to mean you will continue with faslodex which has the very nice advantage of being an easy treatment for you! Aching bones behind you! For me the result should now mean having the ablation, and I wait for a phonecall from the churchill team. They can't possibly want any more tests! Also my biopsy came back HER2-ve, so I will probably come off the herceptin, although he has put off that decision for now. Seems to have been a pointless year on it, plus docetaxel, but I needed to have one failed treatment to have the ablation, so not entirely wasted!

Love to Nicky while I'm here.........you might drop by to catch up. We are still thinking of  you at this difficult time.

Love to everyone else! keep warm! The short days are a bit of a shock.

mo                x

Hi Girls,

Just a quick update. My liver biopsy confirmed it is metastases and the receptor ER positive 8/8 and PR positive 8/8. This is interesting as my bone mets are Er positive 8/8 but PR negative proving that the receptors can change.  So I am continuing on Faslodex which I am finding such an easy treatment and am hoping to respond well. Having come off Exemestane I didn’t realise how much that made my bones ache, I always presumed it was the bone mets aching.

Hope you are all doing ok

xxx

Community Champion

Thank you ladies for your kind thoughts. It is tough dealing with this on top of everything else we have to deal with having SBC. I am not getting much ‘me’ time as you can I again, which is how I normally re charge my batteries so I need to get that back in place soon or I will get very run down, and we all know how that doesn’t help us!

Take care

Nicky x

Dear Nicky,

im so sorry to hear about your Dad. Such a difficult thing to have to deal with on top of everything else. Sending you hugs and hoping you find comfort in the love and closeness of your family

Jacksy xx

Hi Nicky

So sorry to read you have lost your dad unexpectedly. It is awful when you loose someone close to you suddenly.

Sending love and support to you and your family.

Linda

Dear Nicky, thinking about you and your family xx