cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ablation vs Liver Resection

88 REPLIES

Re: Ablation vs Liver Resection

Hi Nicky,

live just realised you had your liver resection ages ago....I was thinking it was in December, so scrub the irrelevant comments about recovery! Chemo brain today.....

I’m still chuffed about your scan results though 😁

xxx

Nicky, that’s great news! I’m so glad for you. Hope you can see small increments of recovery in your activity, energy levels etc but don’t rush it, your body’s been through a lot. 

Hi to everyone else and hoping you’re all in a good place today. It’s beautiful sunshine and blue skies here in Hertfordshire so I’m feeling sunny, despite having Kadcyla  yesterday.

Jx

Soooo happy for you Nicky, really made my day.

great to hear Faslodex working I’m waiting to have my first scan since being on this treatment so it gives me hope it might be working for me too. 

Xxx

Hi Nicky

What great news. Least all the pain and suffering when you had the operation was worth while.

Shame the treatment you are on is not available at all hospitals.

Linda
Community Champion

Red riding hood

Know you pop into this thread so hope you are doing OK after your surgery ....I have pm you a couple of times ..

Xxxxx Carolyn
Highlighted
Community Champion

Oh Nicky
What good news for you ..the op was big but you have mastered it ..take good care of yourself now ..know lots going on with the loss of your dad too.
Enjoy being Stable Mabel ...💟💟💟💟💟

Great news Nicky! Worth waiting for.

Community Champion

Well, eventually the day arrived for me to get my CT results and, hooray, all things are stable.  There are no visible mets in the liver and just a small lymph node (elsewhere) that has increased by a millimetre or 2. I had to wait nearly a month for my results as the scan was just before Christmas and my oncology appointment was put back 2 weeks (probably to allow the scan to be fully reported, the actual scan is always uploaded immediately). I was happy to wait, ignorance can be bliss sometimes, but did want to know obviously to know if I'd be changing treatments. Glad to say I'm continuing on fulvesteant and all the post-op recovery has been well worth it as my liver is still NED (even if the crafty little uggers are hiding and too small to be seen yet!)

Good luck with all of you having surgery or other procedures such as RFA. Would love to know how you are all doing.

Nicky xx

Hi Mo,

You have been on my mind, hope your RFA procedure went well and you are feeling ok.

xxx

Community Champion

Hi mo

Thanks for the update and great news that the ablation is now taking place.  I know what you mean about delays in getting more scans done to determine what is needed and then running out of time to get a procedure done.  I wish you a quick and speedy recovery - at least you are only in overnight and I'm sure won't be in too much discomfort after the procedure.  

Holding your hand and sending you strength. Would love an update once it's over and done with.

Nicky xx

ps Echoing mo's thoughts and sending Seasons Greetings to all xx

Good luck for Thursday Mo. Sounds a good treatment for liver mets. Shame it is not available at all hospitals might avoid many of us having to go through chemo.

Can I ask did you ask to be put forward for the treatment or did they suggest it to you?

Let us know how you get on.

Linda

Good luck on Thursday Mo

Your long wait is over which must be good.Take all the support that your friends offer.

Bon xxx

Community Champion

Good luck with tomortow ..it's a very scary to face but u seem to be ready to go for it ..you do have good friends as support so hopefully they will be doing their bit. .don't be too proud though Mo.accept anything that will make life easy .
Xxxxx❤❤❤❤

Hello Mo,

Good luck for Thursday, really pleased you are finally getting the RFA. I’m sure all will be fine and please let us know how it went as soon as you are able.

love Debs

Dear everyone,

first of all dear Nicky, I hope you and your family have coped with your recent loss. I lost my mum and dad just a few years ago and I do understand. Still miss them every day. There is so much to do when one feels least like doing it.

I am posting today just to say that my ablation op has finally arrived and I go to the Churchill in Oxford on Thursday. It has been a long journey to get here.........my onc referred me back in July!........but there we go. The mri that oxford asked for in August ran out of time but they decided not to have another in the end because so much time had already slipped past. I had a ct on Saturday instead and met the radiographers who will be there on Thursday. I am nervous........but have no choice, so will go forward with hope. The radiologist said I have 4 spots he is targeting. I think 2 may be small and uncertain but he said he wants to make the most of the opportunity. I will have to stay overnight......ugh......because of the general anaesthetic, then home alone, although I have good friends.

Anyway I thought I Would update in case anyone in the threads is looking for liver info. Ablation certainly sounds a good way forward although as we know there are awkward restrictions. I think I am lucky that I have been able to wait so long.........my liver mets seem to have behaved, with at least no reduced liver function, and I still feel fine. It is not done at every hospital so that means radiologists are under pressure I suppose. My plan is to come back here to report about my experience and recovery!

take care everybody, and Seasons Greetings!

mo.          x

Sorry to read that your dad has died Nicky. I can’t imagine the difficulties of sorting out everything when he died abroad. It’s a dreadful thing to have to do anyway. Xx
I don’t post on this thread but do follow as I’d love to be able to have the option of ablation or resection in the future. I’ve got everything crossed that the palbociclib is working for me. Stable would be fantastic but a reduction would be even better and hopefully open up more options.
Community Champion

Hi Anne

Keyhole surgery, that’s good! Your recovery time will be so much quicker than mine and also the scar won’t be as big! It must also mean that your liver lesion isn’t too big so they are able to access it all without opening you up so to speak. Yes, do update us all, shared knowledge is a really good thing especially when it’s first hand rather than reading about it in some medical pamphlet as many of the less mainstream treatments don’t get so much information written about them.

Hi to all other liver mets ladies, hope you are doing well. I’m still a bit overwhelmed by the paperwork associated with my Dads recent death (mainly due to it happening whilst he was abroad on holiday) so am not on here as much as I usually am. I hope that can change quite soon and I can get back to some normality - whatever that might be!

Nicky x

Thank you Nicky that's really helpful. I have just heard they will do laperscopic surgery within 4 weeks. I'm so relieved not to need chemo. I'll keep you posted xxx

Community Champion

Hi Anne, I’ll try to help!

My largest liver met was in the right lobe and therefore very accessible. It had been biopsied on 2 separate occasions so I knew they could get to it! I had 2 smaller mets show up on a pre op MRI (they were too small to show up on a CT) and these were all removed in the op.

I had to go into hospital the night before to be ready for the following morning, I was first on the list. The op it self I think only took an hour or so, maybe a bit longer. I came around in ICU and stayed there overnight before being sent up to the post surgical ward. You are fitted with lots of tubes to deliver pain killers, some of which allow you to dispense extra pain relief and also drains to get rid of fluids. I was able to eat once I’d come round sufficiently and in general you stay in ICU to make sure there are no complications.  On the post surgical ward I was also kept under close observation, right by the nurses station. Gradually tubes were removed and pain relief reduced. I was encouraged get out of bed and sit in the chair on that 2nd day and you have to do deep breathing excercises to protect against pneumonia. That day, or the next (I can’t remember which) my catheter was removed which was a nuisance as I now had to walk to the loo! Luckily the 2 bed ward had an en suite. I was discharged from hospital on day 5 which was a bit of a shock as I suddenly had to rely on tablet pain relief. That was the worst bit, going home and managing on pretty low level pain relief. I’m sure I could have got something stronger but wasn’t prescribed it (unfortunately). You are encouraged to walk and not just sit around, either in hospital or after discharge at home. My stitches were removed about a week or so after the op, leaving a very long scar which healed well. I wasn’t able to drive until 4 weeks after the op, although that is down to your insurance company rather than a directive from the consultant. I think that’s about it but ask any other questions and I’ll try to answer although I’m not on the forum so much at the moment due to a family bereavement which is taking up a lot of my time at present. My op was done at the North Hants Hosptial in Basingstoke where there is an excellent surgeon, look on their website for more info as it is a centre of excellence for abdominal cancer surgery so I knew I was in the best hands.

Nicky xx

Hi to all other liver mets ladies, I have been reading but not had much time to log on, hope you are all doing well. Xx

Hi ladies

I always read this thread as I like to know what is being offered for liver mets. I have had liver mets since 2014 - first lot of docetaxel got rid of them but they came back in late 2016. Unfortunately the largest one is in the most difficult place in the liver it could be (typical!) ie right under my diaphragm. I have been on kadcyla, eribulin & currently on paclitaxel since Oct 2016 & it just keeps increasing a couple of millimetres between scans. Originally I was told that ablation/resection was not an option & was actually on the table ready for a liver biopsy when they changed their minds & said it was too dangerous to do the biopsy. It all gets very frustrating!

All the best to everyone with their treatments. Hope to see you soon Nicky.

Helen x