cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to wear after operation and what to take to hospital

8 REPLIES

Re: What to wear after operation and what to take to hospital

I'm surprised your cancer nurse said you would be able to wear a wired bra. I've just had a lumpectomy, on Tuesday, and, like others have said, I was advised to wear a front fastening or sports bra. A lovely bra fitter at M&S advised one of their Super Soft bras. Slightly padded with rear fastening. First couple of days Hubby fastened it for me but now I fasten it round the front before turning it round to put on. Hardly notice it, even in bed. I also bought a short sleeved button through top and a long sleeved shirt both can be warn with cardigans. I'm finding this cancer expensive 😅

Morning all

I had breast conserving surgery and nodes removed a week Wednesday just gone and was told No underwire bra but a sports bra (😂😂🙈) preferable front fastening. I have a bust so this was not an easy ask, so many of them are so flimsy, that my bust would fall out the bottom well my daughters and I did have some fun. On a serious note buy bigger as they are not generous in sizing I ended up with a fantastic little number from M & S (on line) the have a great selection for breast Surgery ladies I paid 20.80 instead of 25 because you don’t pay the VAT., plus it’s one you can wear when healed , it washes great and drys quickly so you can get it back 🙌🙌.
I was only in for the day so only had to take a bra . Speedy recovery to you all 💕💕

After my lumpectomy I was told to wear a front fastening sports bra and to wear it in bed as well for a fortnight. I did switch to wearing a soft pull on bra in bed but I didn't have any problems with raising my arms above my head, which could be a problem for some.

ktk

Hi Floss after my TM I wore a M&S sports bra. The BCN came round and gave me an expander so I could do it up at the back. This was great until the swelling went down then I wore s front fastener which was more supportive. Kx

Thanks all,

ive since found out during chemo today that the breast unit has a room full of bras and prosthetics etc etc. I think the nurse I spoke to was either filling in or very new !!!! 

Im following the advice of you ladies and certainly won’t be wearing a wired bra at least  initially!!!

Adsa also do some nice buttoned front PJs in the Ticklet Pink campaign. 

Keep uo tye goid work girks - the inky way is up 

Hi Floss

I also wore a soft front fastening bra after my surgery, mine was from M&S but was a bit more expensive than Jacq's at £20 and I'm also still wearing mine 8 weeks post op.  You may be given a bra while you are in hospital as I was but this might depend on what surgery you have done, I had a mx and LD recon.  I also agree with Jacq about front fastening clothes, I took front fastening pyjamas into hospital to wear after I ditched the lovely NHS gown!

Good luck with your surgery xx

Hi Floss
I had a WLE and axillary clearance and found the best post surgery.bra was a soft cotton front fastening bra from eBay. I think they cost about £7 each. They are very comfortable and I’m still wearing them now 7 weeks post op. I can not wear an underwire as it would rub the axillary scar. Also anything pull on was a no no for me as I couldn’t raise my arms initially. I also wore button through baggy shirts to accommodate the drain.
Jacq x

What to wear after operation and what to take to hospital

Having asked what I needed to take to hospital for my breast op. My breast cancer nurse told me I could wear a wired bra to go home, so nothing special to buy!!! I now have very little faith in her !!!
I’m thinking of a soft cotton pull on bra.
What have any of you used and where is the best place to buy them from.
Any advice would be much appreciated.