319591posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wound healing delaying radiotherapy

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Poor wound healing delaying radiotherapy

Hi I’m new to this posting thin n can’t seem to get the hang of it so if Ive already replied I apologise, posted something on Saturday don’t know if you saw it but mines been going on for 8 weeks now and I’m just ready to give up, I’ve cried and cried , done everything the bc nurse has said and it’s still oozing! Worried now if it doesn’t heal soon and I miss my treatment it’s gonna come back

Thanks,

yeah diet is relatively healthy enough. Might increase the protein like you say. It’s still early days but I’m just feeling so frustrated as I thought the post op period would be the easy bit but didn’t expect so many complications. I think I took a lumpectomy for granted and saw it as pretty minor surgery. How wrong was I.

anyway, I’ll just have to content myself and let nature take its course.

D x

Hi Denzel,

I can't answer your q about time to heal, but just wanted to check you are eating protein regularly through the day since it helps build cells. I appreciate you may already have been doing this, know there are loads and loads of factors affecting healing and you've had a complication. I found the high protein approach helped me (unless it was something else) since thankfully I healed really quickly from all 3 of my op's and took the same approach each time.  Also getting enough rest (since that helps healing), and being active at times during the day to keep everything (lymph and blood) pumping around. 

I hope another forum member can help re your q about time to heal and really hope it starts healing soon.  Did/could your breast care nurse give any advice on healing after the haematoma?

Be kind to yourself and keep doing the post op exercises. 

Sending virtual hugs

Seabreeze 

Highlighted

Poor wound healing delaying radiotherapy

I had a lumpectomy on June 10th for DCIS. I developed a large haematoma a week later which was aspirated with needle and syringe. Two days later it filled up again and they used suction to aspirate it. I have been left with a hole in the wound the size of small five pence. It is now constantly draining yellow fluid. And I can’t see the wound closing together any time soon. I had the wound sutures together in clinic last week as a temporary measure to bring the ends together but it is still oozing through the wound. Radiotherapy has all been planned but I obviously can’t start this until the wound heals well. Has anyone else had this problem. And if so how long did it take to heal?