Re: Wound Issues

Hi Cathy

Hope your DN visit went OK and that you didn't have to fumigate the house too much afterwards lol!!!!!

I am doing OK.  I did have a red hospital band on when I went in for my initial surgery due to my skin sensitivity but it is a difficult one as I can't tell them which dressings make me react and which don't so I just cause havoc especially as different hospitals/surgeries use different types/brands so it is trial and error which is frustrating.  I had my letter through yesterday for my radiotherapy planning appointment at the Hospital which is Wednesday 4 October so making progress.  The Radiotherapy Department at the Hospital has an open evening twice a month when you can go and have a look round the unit so my partner and I are planning to go on Thursday this week so we have an idea where we are going in a couple of weeks time

Hope the wound is doing good.......

x Fiona   

Hi Fiona.  The wound... well... not much to say really.  The DN is coming today, so we'll see it naked.

I am allergic to most dressings (stiky ones) and am having a reactions round the edges of the Pico dressing too.  I have an allergy sticker on my file at the hospital relating to the dressings.  I wasn't sure they'd take my dressing allergy seriously, but it seems common enough for them to do so now.

How are you doing?

Hi Cathy

I hope you have a good weekend and the wound didn't cause you any problems.

I too am worried about the implications of radiotherpay as I have very sensitive skin.  I've already had an allergic reaction to one of the dressing used and now have patches of broken skin around the wound from using micropore so often.  My Dad was a rehead and I have his skin type - loads of freckels and burn easliy in the sun - just didn't get the red hair lol!!!  I did mention my skin sensitivity when I was at my appointment last week and they said they will keep an eye on my skin and it will be checked on a daily basis so I am putting my trust in them.   

x Fiona

I'm on my third Pico, now.  The first one was a novelty, and allowed me to move around more, with not much bussing.  The second one buzzed a LOT with the first dressing, so when they did the second dressing they closed the edges a bit better.  The freuent buzzing drove me nuts and stopped me sleeping, and because it was disturbing my husband too I'd go downstairs and watch tv between 2am and 6.  It was so random, though, as there were times it didn't buzz, and then hours when it would, just spaced apart enough to be akin to Chinese water torture.

Yours sounds pretty awful, bottyboo.  I am glad I don't have to have chemo to complicate it more.  I am concerned (very) about the implcations of the radiotherapy, as I have ridiculously sensitive redhead skin.  I did try arguing against it, but not very wholeheartedly.  Smiley Happy

Community Champion

Hi lovely ladies. I had the same issue after a therapeutic mammoplasty. In hindsight I kept bleeding on the ward the day of surgery and they just kept sticking pressure dressings on, I wish I had asked more questions then. However mine was a little different in that it was failure of blood vessels at the incision sight and so the skin died. Eventually after trying iodine and silver dressing I had 2 Pico dressings. One on each part. I had the surgery on 29/2/16 And had chemo delayed until the end of the 12 week window of maximum effectiveness. I started chemo on 12/5/16 And still had an open wound. I developed cellulitis after my first cycle and was in hospital for a week. They changed the chemo regime and I had my last one on 7/8/16. Radiotherapy was then delayed until the wound had fully healed so didn't start until Christmas 😯. Have just had my matching surgery and had a Prevena on which is the same but has a canister for the removed fluids to go into. No problem at all this time. In total it was 9 months healing but had 2 months of remaining the same whilst on chemo. Hang in there it does get better. Has the Pico alarmed a lot? Xx

Hi Cathy

Before I had my surgery I was told that I had to wear a bra 24/7 for 4-6 weeks after the operation with an hour off a day which we said was for good behaviour lol!!!!!  I have been doing this religiously and when I got my stitches taken out after the debridement I asked the Consultant how much longer I had to wear my bra and he said it should really be for 2 months after the operation – which would be 19 September.  I was quite surprised about this but did as I was told.  I’m not huge in the chest department but not small either but at times I needed the support particularly when lying on my side in bed.  I must say it took a while to get used to and was quite uncomfortable at some times during the day due to the warm weather.  I am doing as I am told again - it is so nice and the wound seems to be doing OK so just waiting again.

Hope you have something nice to look forward to at the weekend.

X Fiona

I can understand that but at least it is progress.  We are both playing the waiting game again - it will be interesting to see who gets to start Radiotherapy first lol!!!!

x Fiona

Right.... no chemo, radiation for I can't remember how many weeks, but delayed for another number of weeks for the wound to heal.  And Letrozole.  Why do I not feel like jumping for joy?

Gosh, Fiona, what are the implications of the bra?  I wasn't told anything about bras, to wear or not to wear.  My breasts are very big, and I found myself unable to put on the soft bra I bought for post surgery, so went straight into the softest of my old bras, with help fastening them.  I found I couldn't sleep in it, as it cut straight across the wound when I lay down.  With the new dressings, though, I am so well bound up I find I can even spend some time without a bra, and minimal hand support going up and down stairs.

Enough about that.  DN has just been and it's time for coffee.  Report back tonight.

Highlighted

Hi Cathy

Glad to hear that your wound is getting smaller and I hope the appointment goes OK today and that you don't get the runaround again.  I can totally go with the smell of smoking and I don't think you are OCD - I just don't think it is very professional in the case of the DN and I hope they wash their hands before they start to go anywhere near you.  I know I am probably saying the wrong thing but having worked in the Hospitality Industry for over 10 years in the 90's and usually being the only non-smoker in the kitchen I can totally get where you are coming from. 

I am  not diabetic so that is one thing I don't have to wrorry about.  I had my first Onc appointment on Tuesday this week and my wound is about 3 weeks away from being fully healed.  The Dr was a bit concerned that I was still wearing a bra 24/7 and thinks that may have been slowing down the healing process so I have now been released from it which is lovely when I get home form work - hurrah!!!!!!!!   Once it is fully healed I will attend my planning appointment and then hopefully two or so weeks after that I will then start my treatment - so about 5/6 weeks to go I think.  Because it is my left breast I have to start practicing a breathing technique which involves holding my breath for 20 seconds at a time.  It does have a posh name but I can't remember what it is at the moment so must keep that going - I can manage about 15 secs so far.  

Think we are racing each other to the finish line.

Hope to hear how you got on later.

x Fiona 

Ahhh.... it's been a whole week, hasn't it?  When I went on Thursday I got the runaround again, with the onc appt being cancelled and just BCNs to look at wound.  They did make an appt with the surgeon for me, which was yesterday.  But when the DN came on Monday to change dressings I could see the hole was getting smaller, and it was drawing more pus from another pus pocket (which I kept telling them was there).    The surgeon went into a whole lot of reasons why they couldn't open up and clean it out, and I have to agree it's too late now.  And I can't set back the clock.  It's very frustrating.  I think it should have been done 3 weeks ago.

Onc appt now been set for tomorrow, so we'll see what this does to my treatment.

Part of the whole irritation surrounding this wound is the DN situation.  The first one who came was very efficient, shocked at the extent of the infection (which was gratifying) and did some follow up work with the hospital.  That was the first day.  Since then when she has been, while she has been good at the work, she brings with her the smell of cigarettes, and I have to have my doors open for ages after she has left, to get rid of the smell.  As if she has been standing outside smoking a last cig before coming in.  And then the next nurse smelt the same.

Now I don't know if you smoke, and it's not my business, and I do apologise if I cause offence.  And I don't know if I'm unusual, or OCD, or something, but I detest that smell, and when I know that the last thing those hands touched before touching me was a cigarette... I don't have the words.

On another note:  are you diabetic?  How is your wound now?  I was told to stop taking the antibiotics, even though the breast is still hot and pink (Hmmm... sounds sexy, somehow), because he said they would no longer help.  And how was your onc appt? 

Is your wound healed yet?

Are you having chemo or rads, or both, and when will they start?  Was this the first onc appt, or have you seen him/her before?

Will this be a race to the finish line?  Smiley Happy

Hi

How did you get on Cathy?

x Fiona

Would help if I checked to see when you replied lol!!!!!!

I didn't have much choice over the cleaning surgery  - I didn't even think about saying no because of the anaesthetic and did as I was told.  The smell was the worst thing and think I may have had a reaction to the glue as well  which didn't help hence the stitches on the second surgery.  I would possibly ask if you could have debridement surgery - it can't hurt - and then at least things might speed along for you.

x Fiona

I'm glad to hear yours is improving.  My appointment is tomorrow.  I'll give you feedback once I'm home.

I'm now even more envious of your having the cleaning surgery.  I didn't want another anaesthetic, but sometimes these things are necessary.  My wound is 7cm deep, and 80% of the original incision is now a gaping hole.  I wish I had the confidence to ask for a second opinion, although it may now be too late anyway.

Cathy

Thanks Helena - just all a bit frustrating.........

Hi Pecan

Thanks for your helpful response.  When I went for my cleaning surgery I was given a Pico Vacuum assisted dressing to take into the operating theatre with me but when they cleaned it out they decided it wasn't required - perhaps not the right decison in hindsight lol!!!!!!!!  The wound looks a lot better today and wasn't leaking when my partner changed the dressing first thing this morning and I've only been taking the antibiotics since Monday afternoon so going to give it a chance to heal itself rather than pestering the staff at the hospital.  I wasn't sure where to post my issue because as you say most people are moving on and it was difficult to find the right forum.  I hope your appointment goes well today and please let me know how you get on x

Fiona,  You are not alone.  I had my lumpectomy on the 9th of August, 8 days later told it was doing well.  On the 20th I found some leakage, and went to the hospital the following day.  I was given antibiotics and sent home.  I kind of wish they had done the cleaning you had done.  On the 22nd I had a fever, and on the 23rd there was lots of pus.  On the 24th they doubled the antibiotics, and on the 25th the district nurse visited and she removed a huge volume of liquid and pus.  Long story short, I now have a Pico Vacuum assisted dressing, with dressing changes twice weekly.  It's more comfortable, but I have been told that this will take MONTHS to heal, and my onc appointment is tomorrow.  The only positive is that it has taken my mind off the cancer.

Effectively, the Pico dressing keeps the wound open while sucking the gunk up from the bottom.  Marginally more pain in the wound site, but much more movement in my body as I no longer worry about the wound opening and leaking.  I have heard that they don't do rads on unhealed surgeries, but will have more info tomorrow.  I don't know if I am having chemo at this stage, as I get that decision tomorrow, too. 

It is quite isolating, as everyone else is moving on, and I (we) seem to have been left behind! 

Community Champion

Fiona

Hello and welcome.

I am not able to help you with regard to your wound problems, but I wanted to make sure that your post was acknowledged.

As part of yoru appointment your oncologist will want to check out your breast in terms of the healing process prior to rads starting.  Sounds like you are doing everything you can to help the healing process having been to the GP and got antibiotics.

Helena xxx

Wound Issues

Good Morning All

I had a lumpectomy on my leaft breast on 19 July with reconstruction.  At first follow-up appointment on 15 August I found there was no spread to lymph nodes which was fantastic but they found the wound had opened up and infected so had to be taken back into hospital straight away for debridement surgery.  I was stitched up with stich removal on 25 August.   I was allergic to the dressing they used so had to get medication for that but went to the GP yesterday as was worried as one area under my breast is still not healed and leaking.  Thet said the the wound is probably infected so on antibiotics but really don't want to get to the stage where I have to have furher cleaning out surgery.  I have returned to work today (and am already pooped) and have Oncologist appointment a week today to discuss the next stage which will be Radiotherapy but really worried treatment won't start anytime soon because of issues with the wound.  Anyone else had this problem and any advice on how to make my wound behave itself and heal properly!!!!!!!!!!