Thank you Duffer56 xx All went well , so glad it's over!! xx

Re: What to take into hospital?

Hi Sue

I have sent it over to you

Good luck for Monday

Carol

SUE

Hi Duffer56, I am having a double DIEP reconstruction on Monday, could you send your blog to me please?
sueburge@hotmail.com
Thank you x

This is such a useful thread - I'm so glad I've found it.

My bag at the moment looks very haphazard so now I'm inspired to change it!

I had DIEP surgery on 19th Sep'17 and I bought a couple of Drain Dollies bags to carry the drain bottles around with me. Be careful when walking around with them - take care that the tubes don't get caught on door handles or other such objects! A couple of days after surgery I was expected to get out of bed and shower (under supervision of a nurse), so I had soap, a flannel and a dressing gown too. 

Community Champion

I'd say button up cotton pyjamas better than nightie if you end up with drains.

I had DIEP surgery 3 weeks ago and the best thing I did was take a separate cosmetics bag with what I needed on the first night. It was invaluable as I couldn't get out of bed to rummage in my main bag (was told to pack for a 10 night stay!)

So my little bag contained;
Mouth freshener spray (or toothbrush)
Hand / face wipes
Ear plugs
Eye mask
Antiseptic throat spray (sore throat from tubes during op)
Safety pins to hook the blinking drains to the side of the bed!
Lip balm

And a separate small canvas tote bag (doubles as a drain carrier over your shoulder) containing entertainment:
Phone
iPod/MP3
Magazine
Book
Chargers
Glasses!

So once I was on the ward and awake I asked the nurse to put these 2 small bags on the table for me. First 24 hours sorted!
Community Champion

Hi sciathos (love the name - Greek island!)

Only just seen your question so sorry for late reply. My op was way back in December and all absolutely fine, rads over and done with months ago and just on a tablet once a day for 5 years. Where are you in your treatment plan? x

Thanks for such a detailed posting, really useful to read about your experience.  how is it going now?

Community Champion

Hi  Pecan

overnight was semi-optional. I went down to theatre very late in the afternoon, so by the time I'd come round it was into evening and apparently my blood pressure was a bit low. I told them it's always low, which is true. Anyway, as I live alone I had the choice to staying put overnight or finding someone to cart me off home quite late in the evening and then stay with me. I opted for the comfortable and lazy choice. You are slightly right about the cuppa. I requested a cuppa almost as soon as my eyes were open (well, it's a long day with no food or drink before your late afternoon op....) but they said "oh no, not yet, you can't sit up just yet". Half  hour later I persuaded them to let me sit up, and they only let me have water first. More time passed and they finally let me have a cuppa, seeing as i was right as rain and only suffering from tea deficiency.

Optimissy, Oh you did make me laugh!

Why did you need to stay overnight?  (Weighing up probabilities here)

I've seen other posts saying said cuppa didn't appear, so to take water.

My op is on Wednesday.  I would be on the line to my NBC (Oh dear, I am forgetting all the acronyms now) to ask all these questions, but I'm starting to hate weekends.  I do have my Kindle, and I have ordered a Killer Sudoku book, just in case I can rearrange some brain cells.

Community Champion

Pecan, I took an overnight bag, posh jamies that I had never worn as I sleep nude at home, wash bag, Kindle, slippers etc etc and only needed the slippers,  flannel and the toothbrush! By the time you wake up you are in a hospital gown, and even if you are in overnight (I was) you can't really be arsed to change into jammies as you are snuggled down with said Kindle and a cuppa, and they keep coming in to check blood pressure etc, so I stayed in the gown and could really have got what I needed in my, admittedly large, handbag.I didn't have a drain - don't think you usually have one for WLE and node removal but maybe some people have. When is your op? xx

I have been ploughing through this thread, and when the list of items I needed to take with me became necessary to invest in a trunk, I thought I'd start again and ask for advice.  I am only going in for a day op, not for overnight (I hope) and was wondering how much is actually necessary.

I have not found pyjamas that open in the front, but I have found some super stretchy ones that will slip on easily.  I am a rather large, so buying clothes is not very easy.  And up until now I have avoided button up tops as they have never accommodated my breasts!

Am I going to need all the other things - wetwipes, etc?  I will pack an extra bag for if I have to stay in overnight, but I feel embarrassed packing for a week if all I need is to dress and go home.

I am assuming that I will have drains, as they are doing the NBS too.  NBS? Node Biopsy something-or-other.

Cathy

Oh - I already know my operation will be the first one on the afternoon shift.

Hi Sam

DIEP is a reconstruction technique using tissue from your stomach area.

DIEP is one of the breast reconstruction ops, I always get mixed up with the actual names, I just Google everything! Hope this helps x

What's DIEP please?
Community Champion

Hi Ann, all front fastening is much the best, including going in for your op. Big shirt and pull on pants for ease afterwards. The staff need to get to you, so the front fastening is helpful. Asda have some nice cotton pj's, and to be honest I've more or less replaced my nightwear as the silky stuff is hopeless, and the thick cotton is hot and now feels itchy. Same with sweaters, so I've had to buy a couple of cottony ones while my skin is so sensitive . I'm 10 weeks post op, and into chemo, so that could be a factor. Bras are a hot discussion topic , and there is a whole thread on it. Wishing You all the best for your op. X

Yes to front fastening bras- there is a new one developed called RecoBra if you are having reconstruction that looks worth googling. I found lovely front button pyjamas from Asda that made me feel quite glam! I've seen they have a new version for summer. However I'm not sure any clothes would have kept me cool, it was so warm on the ward. I found over head tops impossible for about two weeks post op. Good luck! 

I have been recently diagnosed with BC and have had sentinel node biopsies before my appointment next week when a decision will be reached about surgery options. I am finding the information on this forum so useful in terms of options and what questions to be asking. Have been feeling mostly positive except for a couple of really low tearful days when I have not wanted to burden family - this forum has been wonderful in the middle of the night when all seems so difficult. Emotionally draining and so difficult to sleep at night when my mind is workIng overtime. Brings me to the question I had - where have you found nightwear that will be comfortable, accessible and cool for post surgery. Is it easier to go for front fastening bras and nightwear or can you manage to put on tops over head ?

Hi, i was told to take in Bridget Jones knickers and I was really scared about putting them on after such a surgery - especially with drains still in. As it turned out they were wonderful! They hold bits in nicely and I was able to walk upright after only 2 days. They were such a bonus for silly things like sneezing and coughing too. I needed to get a size larger as I underestimated the amount my tummy would be swollen. I also found it difficult to pull them on unaided but the nurses were great helping me and my husband helped when I went home.

My DIEP was 4 years ago and I did a 'sort of' blog at the time which I still have somewhere if you wanted to take a look. The worst thing for me was not knowing what to expect.

Hi all,
Am due mastectomy with DIEP in a few weeks and finding all your posts really helpful with what to expect from surgery and recovery. I know someone mentioned a V pillow being helpful- just wondering if the small breastfeeding support type ones are best or if you mean the really big ones that can support your whole body? Also were you provided with binders in the hospital or do i need to get them myself? Thanks x