Re: To reconstruct or not?

Hi Liz

I had a mx in Feb with no reconstruction, I needed to know it had all gone, but have been told I have the option to reconstruct at a later date - probably won’t. I had very little pain, more like discomfort and the scar healed very well. I did develop a seroma which was weird but it was drained just the once thankfully, although I’m still not completely flat..really not sure what I should be expecting! I’m happy with what it is though. 

I bought crop tops from Sainsburys, seamless and slightly padded, very stretchy for when I wanted something other than a soft vest top. I put them on from the feet up! They have worked very well and when I had my seroma I wore them at night too. I’m happy with my softee’s so haven’t rushed to get a fitting for a proper one. Am just finishing rads so will probably wait until my skin has settled. 

Regarding exercises, I thought there was no way I’d ever be able to complete the full range, but I’m 11 weeks on and just this week have achieved it! Perseverance does pay off! I’ve been told to keep doing them for a minimum of 2 years after rads, as stopping too soon can cause stiffness and require physio, so I shall do as I’m told! 

Good luck with your decision, your gut feel is probably the right one, as a BCN once said to me. Xx

jtb

Hi KitKat....that's good to hear...and agree it's an individual choice. I don't think it's for me and feel I would cope better with the whole issue. Good luck with your fitting! Let me know how you get on as I will be interested to hear. My boobs are a bit bigger and hope that won't hinder me haha!

Hi Liz

No reconstruction for me either. It’s definately a very individual choice. But I couldn’t face any more surgery (I’m second time round like you) .
I’m a 34A so to be honest even with no softy it’s not really that noticeable.
That said I have got an appt for a prothethis fitting at 6 weeks post surgery.

Whatever you choose I wish you all the very best!

X x
jtb

Hi Sally...thanks for all that info - it's really helpful. I think I might be looking for food as well lol. I am working at the moment and hope to get back after recovery. I had BC 18 years ago and stayed off work for a year and I def don't want to go down that route again. I'm gonna go out next week and look for a bra and was hoping there was a good 'comfortable' choice! Please don't stop ''rabbiting' on....it's so helpful and I hope you are doing well, Liz xx
jtb

Hi Jane...thanx for letting me know about the group on facebook I'll def have a look at that. As the morning goes on I am becoming even more certain I don't want reconstruction and as you say I can always have that option further down the line if I change my mind. It's also good to hear you weren't too uncomfortable after the op. I hope you are doing well and will keep you posted once I have my scans and op. Liz xx

Morning.

I did initially opt for reconstruction when told I needed a mastectomy but unfortunately 2 days before the operation was told the option was off the tablets to the cancer being more advanced and the skin being involved. The op itself and recovery without reconstruction was very straightforward, pain-free and easy. Upon waking up after my first thought was of food, not pain or discomfort. If you have a drain it's a bit uncomfortable but not painful. I'm also diabetic and the mastectomy wound healed brilliantly well (not so much when they opened it up the 2nd time but that's a different story). My recovery went so well with doing the exercises that I had a full range of movement back pretty quickly and was back at work less than 3 weeks later.

Regards clothing it's a bit more difficult. I found all the post surgery bras I brought uncomfortable if wearing for more than a couple of hours and couldn't get them off quick enough. I'm fairly small chested at the best of times so on colder days can get away with a vest top and jumper. I don't bother most of the time with the softee I was given cos even with a bra on it doesn't look natural. On the hot days I have a few tops with a ruffle round the chest area that means I can go bra-less because they hide that there's anything missing.

Gawd, don't I rabbit on!

Sally
Highlighted

Good morning. I was 60 at diagnosis and my gut instinct was also not to go for reconstruction mainly because I was anxious about the length of the operation and recovery time.  Three years on I am still happy with my decision and have no regrets.  I wear a prosthesis and dressed look absolutely fine.  When I go for my annual check up the surgeon always offers me reconstruction so you can change your mind any time.  There is a good facebook page, Flat Friends, which offers lots of support and advice to people who don't have reconstruction and is a good place for people to share their feelings.  After the mastectomy I think the best thing is just to take things very gently and do your post surgery exercises so you get full range of movement back in your shoulder and arm.  I was dreading surgery but I woke up from the anaesthetic feeling fine just relieved that it was over.  Good luck with everything and do let us know how you go.  All the best x

Jane

jtb

To reconstruct or not?

Good Morning...ok I was told yesterday that I need a Mastectomy but can't decide whether to have reconstruction or not.  My gut instinct is NOT.  I am a 'young' 62 year old and also diabetic.  My Oncologist has told me to go home and think about it.  Just looking to hear about anyone's experiences and all advice greatly received.......now off to read-up on the Mastectomy itself - any advice or tips for when I come home from hospital to help me cope?  I am feeling strong and positive and have all my friends and family around me and have nicknamed us #teamstrong