325388posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary expander implant

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Temporary expander implant

Hello babes not sure if my message sent but I will write it again. 

glad you are finally getting there! I had mine exchanged also in July I too have puckering which is slightly getting better, she also did a reduction and lift on the other side so they look ok! Still getting discomfort from the implant low down under the breast bone I’m going to get her to make me a nipple for the fake boob she just uses the skin all ready from the boob! Then I will get a pretty little tattoo to cover the scar! Xxx

Hello hon glad you have finally had you expander out! I couldn’t wait to get mine out luckily I went private I’m in Australia things happen very fast so I had mine done in July! I also had the other one reduced and lifted! They look ok actually! I am also having a nipple made in September as it looks odd without it! I was going to just put a pretty tattoo over it which I still will but with the nipple! My friend who was the one to get me to have a mammogram as it’s from 40 over here! Well she has just found out she has invasive cancer so she has had a mastectomy and having to have chemo and radiation 😔 make sure you look after yourself and your new boobie! Xxx

Hi - How's things?

I had the exchange surgery last Monday - so I ended up waiting over 6 months for the op!

It was such a relief to get rid of the tissue expander - it was so hard and felt and looked like I had a bowling ball stuck under my skin.🎳

The new silicone implant is smaller and softer and so much more comfortable - sleeping is a lot better as well.

I still have the puckering from the original surgery and a dent in it - I go back to see the consultant on 26th Sept - so will see if they think there's anything can be done - but I'm not as bothered about it as I was before - sort of getting used to it all now I think. Still thinking of getting the other one uplifted or something for symmetry, again will see what the consultant says next month.

Where are you up to with yours? Hope you're well.

Love

Helen

xxx

Hello hon hoping you get a slot soon, I have had one fill and due again this coming week she is doing them every three weeks I will find out Wednesday how many more as I want to go to ac and not an E like the other boob! Hoping for a reduction on the other side to match the implant then she will make me a nipple! Are you having skin removed elsewhere for the reconstruction I’m not! I’m still feeling really uncomfortable with the expander and my physio is going to start massaging it tomorrow yuck 🤢 xx

Hi - hope all is going well for you.

I was only in hospital overnight and sent home with 1 drain in - which was managed by visits from a breast care nurse.

How many 'fills' have you had done - mine were weekly, but don't know if everywhere does them weekly or fortnightly?

I had my pre op assessment and so I'm ready 'to go' once a slot comes available on my surgeons list - hopefully I'll not have to wait too long - as I feel i'm in limbo at the moment waiting for the next stage in this 'journey'. The operation to exchange the implant is not classed as urgent to the professions - but it is to me as I can't wait to get a softer more natural silicone implant in, and to feel like I'm progressing and moving forward. (at a standstill at the moment).

Take care. xxx

Hello hon! 

Mom ok feeling down at the moment about my boobie gone it looks so weird! My expander is hurting now all down the armpit side! My scar looking ok thou! Can’t wait for new boobs! You are having the same as me just different side! 🤣 I never came hone with drains she doesn’t let any of her patients out of hospital with them hence why I was in a week! I’m hoping to have a new nipple to! How do they make them 🤔

Hi - so glad it wasn't anything to worry about - maybe a little reaction to the dressing rather an infection. 👍

I am hoping to have my left breast lifted and if necessary reduced.

I'm also hoping at some stage to get a new nipple😜

They can't do anything about my left breast until I have had the temporary expander exchanged as they need my right breast to 'settle' down after the exchange to see what they need to match my left to.

I've got my pre op assessment next Wednesday (same day you have your first fill 😊)- so am hopeful for a date not too far into the future to have the exchange done.

So, still feel in limbo at the moment and feel I can't properly move forward with all this still hanging over me.

But it is what it is , as they say.🤦‍♀️

Hope you're still doing well.

Love, helen. xxx

Hope you're doing OK, Do you have any drains in?

Hay Helen how you doing! 

The itchy and redness has gone thank god we took the dressing off they relieved it dramatically! My surgeon wasn’t worried and said itchy is good means healing! Are you having your other breast made smaller and lifted? 

Thank hon will do x

Hi Sam. I'm really glad your results were good. Very like mine - I didn't have to have chemo or radiotherapy either.

As regards the redness and pain you're experiencing- I wouldn't ignore it. I didn't have those symptoms. My surgeon started me on a 5 day course of anti biotics straight after surgery as a precaution against infection. So if I were you I'd contact your breast care nurse straight away. 

It could be the start of an infection and maybe they'll give you a course of anti biotics to nip it in the bud.

Let me know how you get on.

Take care, love Helen xxx

Hay Helen did you have any hot pain around your armpit and expander I didn’t get a wink of sleep last night! 

@helenann wrote:

Hi - I had a right mastectomy on 24th September and have a temporary tissue expander in place at the moment.

They had put a small amount of saline into the expander at the operation so I wasn't completely flat and then I went weekly for about 7 or 8 weeks to have more saline added and gradually expand the skin.

Each time I had the expander filled it felt uncomfortable - but a couple of paracetamol done the trick to help.

I had my last 'fill' in November then had to leave it for 3 months to ensure the skin remains stretched.

I went back for a check up in February and have been given the go ahead to have the temporary expander replaced with a permanent silicone one - I am on a list now waiting for the operation. It should have been this month but I was told due to Easter and some urgent cases I wouldn't be getting it done in April now. 

I have my pre op assessment on 8th May so that as soon as a slot becomes available I will be 'good to go'.

I really can't wait - the temporary expander feels quite hard and a bit bumpy and I can see and feel the port they use for injecting the saline into it. I've been told by the surgeon that the permanent implant will feel much softer and rounder, so I'm not 'stressing' about it.

I don't know if you've had a 'fill' yet - if not don't worry about it - its completely painless (and very clever), although you might feel a little discomfort afterwards due the the skin being stretched - but as I said a couple of paracetamol will help. Good luck and let me know how you get on and if you want any further info about this topic, as I'm quite a bit ahead of you, I'll be more than happy to help.

Love, Helen. xxx

Hi Helen thanks again that’s really helpful! I went for results today and I can’t believe that I was diagnosed three weeks ago and they told me today I’m in remission so no chemo, no radiation just heal, fill and reconstruction! I found out thou the cancer was 11cm long! Nearly as long as my boob was wow! She didn’t fil today as I’m still very sore so I have my first fill on the 8th May! We now live in Australia have been for 7 years but the forum are not as good for this! How are you going?

Hi Sam - you're welcome. When I went for my biopsy results, after surgery, I was given a sheet of paper with all the results and size's etc - so hopefully you'll get the same so you can look it over at your leisure when you're home - it's hard to take everything in when you're sitting there listening to a consultant. I only found out that I had DCIS as well and the IDC when I read the report later. I did have my first fill then and there at that first appointment - I guess it will depend on how you're healing.

As I said it's nothing to worry about - they have a little magnet that they pass over your breast that locates exactly where the port is like magic, they make a little mark so they know where to put the syringe. It might look a bit scarey as its seems quite a large syringe - but the needle itself isn't - and its absolutely painless. Then I had weekly visits for the further fills - most of which were done a BCN rather than the consultant.

I'm based in Liverpool, so not sure if it will be the same for you, but I'm sure they all use the same methods more or less.

I'll keep you informed of my progress - and it there's anything at all I can help with in the meantime do contact me.

Love, Helen. xxx

Thanks Helen thank you so much for you info! 

Not had an in fill yet I see my surgeon on Wednesday to find out my biopsy results from the breast tissue and lymph nodes they took I’m hoping all is clear so I miss having to have the radiation 🤞 not sure if she will fill me that day? She will probably take the dressing off I hope she does they are starting to itch. Keep me up dated on your journey hon thanks again Sam x

Hi - I had a right mastectomy on 24th September and have a temporary tissue expander in place at the moment.

They had put a small amount of saline into the expander at the operation so I wasn't completely flat and then I went weekly for about 7 or 8 weeks to have more saline added and gradually expand the skin.

Each time I had the expander filled it felt uncomfortable - but a couple of paracetamol done the trick to help.

I had my last 'fill' in November then had to leave it for 3 months to ensure the skin remains stretched.

I went back for a check up in February and have been given the go ahead to have the temporary expander replaced with a permanent silicone one - I am on a list now waiting for the operation. It should have been this month but I was told due to Easter and some urgent cases I wouldn't be getting it done in April now. 

I have my pre op assessment on 8th May so that as soon as a slot becomes available I will be 'good to go'.

I really can't wait - the temporary expander feels quite hard and a bit bumpy and I can see and feel the port they use for injecting the saline into it. I've been told by the surgeon that the permanent implant will feel much softer and rounder, so I'm not 'stressing' about it.

I don't know if you've had a 'fill' yet - if not don't worry about it - its completely painless (and very clever), although you might feel a little discomfort afterwards due the the skin being stretched - but as I said a couple of paracetamol will help. Good luck and let me know how you get on and if you want any further info about this topic, as I'm quite a bit ahead of you, I'll be more than happy to help.

Love, Helen. xxx

Temporary expander implant

Hello ladies I my mastectomy on Thursday last week and I have a temporary Expander implant that gets filled up with saline over the weeks has any of you had pain from it as it feels so hard and alien. Also Im fighting with how I should be feeling as I had just  a week to digest I had cancer then a week later cancer free 😔😔😔😔😔😔😔