cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery May 2018

Re: Surgery May 2018

Hi all
Sorry for delay in posting- I’m up and about and doing really well. Thanks for your lovely comments with regards to the FB photo Kip.
I had my results appointment today and WOOHOO! They removed all the cancer so I’m officially cancer free. Soooo happy! They did actually find further cancer in both breasts only a 4mm of DCIS in the left and 2mm of invasive cancer in the right which the consultant said they hadn’t expected to find but I’m so glad I trusted my instincts and went for the double mastectomy and he agreed it was the right decision. Just thought- does that mean even the chemo didn’t kill it all??? I have to see the clinical oncologist to discuss radiotherapy on the right as the guidelines advise it for any tumours over 5cm and mine was 5.4cm but they may say I don’t need it. I’m also healing really well and have to keep reminding myself not to lift things or bend too much- I forget as I feel so well and then end up in pain! Mainly my abdomen. I was still getting a lot of aches before surgery but they’ve eased off and I’m wondering if they are Tamoxifen related as I had to stop taking it for a few weeks. Start again tonight so will be interesting to see if the aches return. I’ll let you know Kip.

Sorry I’m not up to date with everyone’s news but I believe your OH is in India Jean and you will be joining him. Is that right?? If so how exciting!

How are the wedding plans going Lisa?

Reddi When do you start rads?

Take care and hugs to all xxx

Keep on with the stretches Kip. I have a stretching regime of OH’s , just basics, but it’s the one thing I don’t do and it doesn’t take long. I’ve done about 20-30 mins wii fit ... aerobics, yoga and spot jogging. I don’t have any plans to be out and about today ...it’s a bit chilly outside as pond is still frozen.

I’m eyeballing politics at the moment !!! 

Pleased Clare is looking ok. Big op to recover from but I’m sure she’ll do well.... one determined lady. She’s back waiting for results too which we know is hard.

J xx

Kip

Hi Feenix, you are completely right.. I wasn't doing any stretches or warm ups before exercising but I have found some gentle exercise for high hamstring tendonitis and am doing those morning and evening and they do seem to help.. trouble is I keep poking, prodding and bending down to see if it still hurts and then it does!   Must try harder!!!

I saw a lovely photo CDC on her Facebook page the other day and she looked really well.

Kip

x

Kip .. a day of no butt pain ...great. Reappearing ...not so great. It does sound hamstringish ... that’s definitely not a proper word !!! Do you do stretches of calf/hamstrings ... what you would do to warm up before exercise in general? Just a thought. Hope your late brekkie was good... more like brunch though. I’ve bought a chocolate eclair 😈 

Wonder how Clare is doing.

Michelle ... hope your trek prep is going ok.

Jxx

Kip

How funny Feenix.. i was wondering what an "unpaid" bra looked like.  Well you are certainly the expert on where to go for good bras aren't you.   Let us know if H&M do them.. hadn't thought of looking there.

I haven't hooped today, stiff butt cheek again, Saturday it was fabulous, first day without any pain.. then yesterday.. it began getting achy again...especially when bending down it pulls from let upwards... grrrr.. must remember to bend my knees.   I've just realised I haven't had any breakfast.. no wonder I am hungry.. must get something healthy before that biscuit tin calls me...

Kip

x

Bit of gobbledygook in there... wearing Asda bra and hoping for them to make unpadded no lace bra. 😂 

Morning ladies

Hope you’ve all had a good weekend.

I mainly caught up with the ironing and tv series I’ve not seen....but did start doing some hooping. I only did a short walk yesterday as it was quite chilly out. I also did my hour watching birds for the RSPB birdwatch. I’ve finished off the last biscuit so now have to think of something I can nibble on without piling on the pounds ... which I’ve now got to make the effort and lose. I know I can do it just by cutting out the rubbish. Although stress was involved last year I remind myself that I can drop at least a stone and a half quite quickly 😂 I’m having virginal tea at the moment (no biscuits) before I go out to the shops and return a bra to m&s. It was one recommended, white zip up at the front. I did like it but the straps couldn’t be adjusted... it was like a crop top in shape. Hey ho another one bites the dust. In Asda at the mo... can wear them with or without foob. Hoping they do some unpaid Ed ones without the lace. I’ve yet to try Amoena. Might look ar H&M as I’m sure I’ve seen it mentioned somewhere they do them ... might have been on FF.

J xx

Enjoy celebrating your OH’s Birthday Michelle.

Remember we need to use insect repellent at home too.

I got munched on by mossies  at a garden party one year, right through my clothes too. Left me with a lump on my neck which my friend noticed and I had to have it biopsied  but it was an enlarged lymph node.

Clare .. hope your recovery is going to plan. You’re back waiting for results which we know isn’t easy... this will be the last lot though .. 😊 

I imagine you’ve been hooping already Kip.

Washing in, having cuppa and dare I mention a choc digestive... or more. However, I have planned a healthy main meal ... spicy cabbage, dhal and rice with mango to follow.

jean xx

Thank you both so much for your replies, wise words to set me back on the right course. Yes we are still early on with all of this and I’m sure you are right Jean as time goes by we will be less wobbled by things. Kip your husband sounds like he has a good perspective on things which is exactly what is needed at times like these. I also read that article recently, it’s so accurate with many things and yes I like the speeding bus analogy and also the rollercoaster analogy for diagnosis.
Well it’s my OH ‘s ‘big day’ today and he’s just woken up so I’d better get on with things! Thanks for the insect repellent recommendation Jean xx

Drat ... upside down ... hey ho

F756027E-354A-46FC-A66B-E4A717DDB196.jpeg

Well done on your fund raising night Michelle ... keep that in mind.

It’s sad Michelle, and scary at the same time, hearing about others who are going through BC but we are all different. One of the volunteers on the moving forward course was in her 30’s when diagnosed, the other not much older but they are doing so great. They say volunteering has helped.

There are always reminders around aren’t there. The other night I switched tv to watch the programme about the Liverpool women’s hospital and a young woman with stage 4 bc was in the hospital and pregnant but still having adjusted chemo ...she had a lovely little girl. The night before that I watched Dr Kevin Fong’s programme. I found both programmes interesting. Must be the ex nurse in me but I’ve also experienced family/relatives with different cancers and also friends. As a nurse it was inevitable in my working life. There are many women out there who have had treatment for BC, even living with BC, and are still going strong after many years, decades even.

Remember we are still early days really, not even had our first mammogram so we are hypersensitive to everything. We will probably have those crap days in the future but hopefully less frequently as time goes by. As Kip says, we will pick ourselves up, mentally dust ourselves off and get on with life. Sometimes it’s easier said than done. 

Kip ... your hubby sounds a gem... I like him and his wise words because that is my and my hubbys approach. I remember you posting somewhere that he said “life is terminal” ... got to confess I use that phrase of his. 😂  Yes, I have a glitchy time now and then but that’s par for the course, a work in progress. That article is good .. must read it again.

Positive vibes ladies

ps... got Deet 50% Jungle formula 

Kip

Hi Michelle,  I feel for you.  As you know a lady I know found out she has lung mets now and she is only 41.. it really throws you doesn't it.  You feel like you are bobbing along nicely and then wham.. something happens or you see something on the news and it can set you back.   Hope you daughter is ok too.  Like you say you don't know the whole picture, best not to sometimes.  This new world is a scary one... my husband always tells me to remember that before this whole thing happened we never knew what was around the corner and everyone else never knows what may happen either... but it still doesn't stop you panicking when you've been in this place does it.   I read the "After the treatment ends" article the other day and he hit it on the head, he said..."when people say I may get hit by a bus" its different for somebody who has had a cancer diagnosis.. as we've seen the bus coming and don't know whether it will stop"... I thought that was so apt.  All we can do is try to take it a day at a time and pick ourselves up when we get down and keep on trucking!   Oh if only I believed my own hype somedays!!  

Take care

Big hugs... focus on the fab evening you had..

Life’s ups and downs are so tough nownarent they? We had the fundraiser last night and it was brilliant. There were 160’people there and so many people said how great that we are doing this. I woke up feeling so supported and optimistic for the future. Fast forward 5 hours my youngest daughter who is home for the weekend tells me about one of her flat mates mum has breast cancer, I asked how she’s doing and she tells me she has stage 4 in her spine. This has really upset me. I didn’t show it in front of my daughter but I wonder what affect it has had on her too. Not to mention the poor lady who is going through all of this. I try to keep perspective, I don’t know what stage it was found at or whether she was HER2 + etc. Life has changed for us now hasn’t it and that is really hard to live with sometimes.
I hope your husband arrived safely and you got to your tai chi Jean. I also keep thinking about starting yoga but thinking about it as far as I’ve got! Interesting that it can help with lymphodema Kio. X
Ps Jean what brand of Insect repellent do you use? X
Kip

No clean knickers Feenix... what a dilema Smiley Very Happy

Tai Chi is good Kip ... gentle stretching and movement. I didn’t get this morning as discovered the outside drain was blocked ...Dyno  Rod to the rescue. We might have tree roots again. Anyway ... I should be lucky now so will get a lottery ticket tonight 😂. After doing hubbys washing this week I totally forgot about mine so found I was without clean knickers this morning. After washing and drying all is now present and correct. I need to get more as I’ve not been replacing the ones I’ve thrown out ... too much focus on bras !!! Yoga is supposed to be good. I’m looking forward to giving it a go. I’ve got a swimming KK.... just havent got swimming gear. I’ll go to Tai Chi beginning of next week as it’s on different days at various venues. I really need to increase my weight bearing activities as well just to give my bones a ‘leg up’. Hubby arrived ok, good flight and enjoying better temperatures .. and sun. I’ll have to get myself sorted for travelling.

Well, going to hoof it round the shops and get out for a walk afterwards

Jean xx

Kip

Ooh After Eights... I love them.  Feenix you always make me want chocolate!   Sounds like you are very busy at the moment, how is Tai Chi?  Never tried that?   I am hoping to start Yoga though, the lymphodeam nurse said there is a lot of research into how much Yoga helps with lymphodema reduction and prevention, just don't want to stretch the butt muscles too much at present so waiting a while (thats my excuse anyway!!).   I also want to try swimming too, just got to get my self in gear to actually go!   Also need a swimming knocker.. must get on to mother.   Hope you hubby arrived ok, its exciting that you get to go too soon... very exciting.

Kip

xx

Michelle ... pleased you got through your scan, eventually, and have been checked over by your onc. All helps with putting your mind at rest. We all want things to be straightforward but when there’s a glitch, and of course back at the hospital, it is understandable that emotions will be triggered. My goodness, you’re certainly putting the miles in. I’m happy with 3, if I’m lucky.... I’m going to play the age card 😂 Hope your final fundraiser goes well and you have a Fab celebration for your OH 50th.  Two and a half weeks will fly by ... you’ll have a great time, a good experience,  I’m sure... steady away. I’m looking forward to some pics. 

Kip ... sounds like a plan to ask about your achey butt and leg at your next appointment... put your mind at rest. Sounds ‘muscular’ as you get relief from a heat pad. You and Michelle are starting a new trend in diets I feel 🍫 🥚 

Im not so bad... feet up at the mo sampling after 8 mints !!!! OH on his way to see family ... I’ll catch up with him next month, hopefully with a bit of weight loss to show.... no more choc boxes after today and an increase in activity from tomorrow (I’ll be too busy tracking his flight today .... I feel better when I know he’s arrived ). I will go out for a short walk to village pharmacy this afternoon. Thinking Tai Chi tomorrow. Still awaiting yoga assessment and referral to local leisure centre exercise/activity programme. See it’s going to be quite balmy for a couple of days from tomorrow ... lovely.

xx

Oooo I love chocolate orange! Definitely one of your 5 a day! Chocolate orange and mini egg diet! Xxx
Kip

Thanks Michelle, I had a bone scan and CT scan before chemo in June and was all clear, so hanging on to that too.  I think it may be a problem with my hamstring tendon as I have the classic symptoms (from Dr Google anyway) so will keep that in my head for now.  I have an appt with radiotherapy team on 5 Feb so will mention to them what I need to do next. I know I need to bite the bullet and get scanned probably for peace of mind.   Sitting on a heating pad relieves it so perched on one now.   I think you have so done the right thing by giving yourself something concrete to focus on, I definatley need to set some goals and face forwards.  I am liking the sound of the mini egg diet.. well they say eggs are good for us don't they!!  My health eating is going ok, slow progress but trying hard, difficult when not doing much exercise though but anything has to help I guess.  I was wondering if a chocolate orange counted as one of my five a day!Smiley Tongue

Thanks Kip. You’re right, sometimes rest is the best thing to do. When I was first diagnosed I had it in my head that my hip problem was down to ‘you know what’ but I stopped running during chemo and it went away and the second I ran again it started. During chemo I was terrified that I was riddled so my onc referred me for a CT scan, it was worrying waiting for results but all clear thank heavens. Have you had a scan? I realise things could have developed since then but I put those thoughts out of my mind. I’m sure you will be fine Kip, our bodies have been through so much in the last 10months it’s no surprise there are aches and pains. Rest up and if you are still worried speak to someone.
How’s the weight loss going? I’ve lost 2lbs now but feel I should have lost more with all the exercise, perhaps the mini egg diet isn’t helping! It’s my husbands 50th on Saturday so i won’t be dieting this weekend!!
Claire I hope you are getting plenty of rest and being looked after.
How are you doing Jean? X
Kip

Hi Michelle, it is a new look isn't it,, quite confusing to be honest.

You sound like you are doing so well, wonderful mileage under your belt ready for the big one and lovely that the Onc checked you over for peace of mind.  Annoying about the scan, I've had a MUGA scan before with the injection and can understand why you felt emotional.. I always get emotional when back at hospital, it just opens old wounds I find.  I'm still having the achy butt cheek and legs but resting it and now walking seems to help so, although I hate not doing stuff, I am going to rest up for a while and see what happens.  If not I will have to brave the hospital for peace of mind I guess.

Hope everyone is doing ok and can find our threads on here!

Kip

xx

Hi everyone
My! This is a new look!
Sorry you are nothing sufferingnwith joint pain. I’ve been lucky and don’t seem to be suffering physicallybthat much now. I have a running injury with my hip that means when I stand up I am stiff for the first few steps but I’ve had that for ages and it doesn’t stop me doing anything.
I’ve had a busy few days. At the weekend we walked 17.3 miles and 6.7 miles. I felt so pleased and happy, although very tired! It felt as if I’d achieved something, then on Monday I had my heart scan. It’s a MUGA scan so lucky me I get to have two injections with it. They’re not content with the amount of stuff they’ve put through my veins these last few months! You have to wait between injections and then a twenty minute scan. At the end they said the pictures weren’t clear so I had to wait half hour and do it again but for 40 minutes! It was frustrating, not the worst thing in the world but I got really upset about it. I don’t really know why when I think about it rationally.
On Tuesday I had an appt with my oncologist. She asked how I was doing on Tamoxifen, and since rads. I asked her to examine me aswell just for my piece of mind and all was good. I told her I’m scared of something reappearing and me not noticing so she said she’ll fit another appt in for me 6 months after my mammogram so I don’t feel totally left on my own.
I feel less emotional today, thankfully.
Thanks for the info on flight exercises Jean, I might have to start an exercise class up with all that I’ll be doing!!
Friday nights fundraiser went really well. Everyone seemed to enjoy the night and were very supportive of me and OH. We have our final big fundraiser on Thursday. OH wants me to say a few words but I’m still thinking on that! The trip is only 2 1/2 weeks away now, I’m getting nervous! Xxx

The site has changed its look ...  🤔 

Kip .. sounds as though your exercise dvd is very helpful. I do my exercises at least twice a day. When Im cooking I do a few in the kitchen, just a few extra stretches. Halve the distance you walk ... do things little and often and gradually build up. It does appear that joint/muscle twanging are the norm.My right hip and knee were giving me a bit gyp a couple of days ago but seem ok today. It might have been because I was out in the cold for some hours at the weekend.... it is my dodgy hip though from walking over Great Shunner fell many years ago. I’ve noticed my joints are slightly sore in general .. a combination of age, letrozole and cold weather. However my joints, in general, have been on the blink for some years. 

Michelle and Clare  ... how are you doing?

I may put my best foot forward and go out ... 

xx

Kip

Morning Feenix,

No snow here either, lovely and bright though but cold..

I still do my exercises too, I have now got some more for lymphodema, but similar things and also the DVD so trying to do a few from them each day.  The lymphodema ones are supposed to be done twice a day so I try to do them when I get up and before bed, they are quick and easy, very gentle and can be done sitting done.  I've just done a couple of sections from the DVD too and some hooping.  Still have this pain in my butt and back, its worrying me a lot but over the weekend it was ok without doing any walking then I went out for about 3 miles on Monday and its back again, might have to knock the walking on the head for while or cut down the distance and see what happens.  Glad you ribs are improving, its slow progress all this isn't it.

Kip

x

Looking forward to warmer weather Kip. Apparently there’s been a bit of snow elsewhere in the area this evening .. none where I am but going to be a cold night. I’ve just been around the shops today, done a bit of housework and wii tennis and that’s it for exercise. Might go to Tai Chi on Friday .. the gentle stretching will be good. Just when I think my ribs are ok they twang just to keep me on my toes.... nearly there though. Pre fall I still had some tightness  which felt better after exercising.  I still do my post op exercises daily. Do you? How are you doing with your sleeve?

xx

Kip

Hi Feenix, sounds like you had a nice day albeit a bit cold.  Its definately a bit milder down here today, no frost this morning and nice and bright.. roll on the summer hey.

Kip

x

1/2 pound is better than nothing Kip. Sounds as though you’ve twanged something... so easily done. Hope it settles.

I had the thermals on yesterday ... had a nice train journey for a look out with OH. Only round the shops this morning.

I was up at 5 am but it was overcast here for seeing the blood moon. Saw one years ago when I was on nights.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend

xx

Kip

Welcome Home Clare ... I saw you lovely photo on FB relaxing in your chair... you look great!

Optimisticmz - my arm is 9% bigger to so as you say its only minor but best to keep on top of it before it gets bigger.  I am wearing my sleeve whilst at home working and its ok, keeps my arm warm this weather.

Feenix - Only lost 1/2 llb this week.. haven't been out walking much though as its been cold and my stiff butt was playing up.. I decided to rest it a bit and I think its helped.  It feels like I have pulled a tendon (perhaps the hamstring looking online) and its pulling in my butt cheek, it doesn't hurt when resting but after walking or bending with straight legs.. boy it hurts.   Ive done some hooping this morning and that doesn't hurt it though, so hoping the rest will be sending it on its way.  Still having stiff kneews and ankles in the night though but that seems to be par for the course for some on Tamoxifen... its bearable though so Ill carry on in the hope it fades with time.

Did anyone see the blood moon last night?  Beautiful pink glow this morning..

Kip

xx

Great you’re home Clare. Here’s to an uneventful recovery ... rest, steady away.

hugs

jean xx

Just a quickie to say I’m finally home- exhausted but happy! Will catch up properly once i’m More with it xxx

CDC I am glad that it went well now you are on the ward. The TV is fab isn't it? I was offered a dressing gown too but took my own new one. I have a cold so am taking it easy now my treatment has finished. I think I relaxed as reached the light at the end of the tunnel so was more prone to germs at work.x

Michelle .. wise to take antibiotics with you , just in case. If I need anything A/b’s can be bought over the pharmacy counter. OH always has a BNF with him..medic... so he’d just get me the most appropriate. Hope you’ve got your 50% deet and travel socks.

Flying ... I was told to avoid having affected side on the aisle as people can knock you lots... and fall on you 😂.  If you sit next to the window, with affected arm next to it, keep a cover over to keep arm warm. Do  exercises regularly ... can’t remember how often but I’ll do them at least hourly. She told me  the following.... 1. with your arm down, make a fist and then relax it, slowly, and repeat a number of times 2. as before, make a fist and flex your arm up, slowly... as though you’re doing bicep curls... then down and repeat. They can easily be done while sitting.. half hourly comes to mind !!??  You can easily do some of the BC exercises as well if you’re up and about... keep your shoulders loose and do some stretches. I’m usually up and down like a yo-yo, drink lots of water and keep off alcohol as it dehydrates. I guess these exercises apply to long train/car journeys ... anywhere you’re static for hours. Enjoy your fund raiser evening. 

Kip .... how are you this evening? How’s the weight loss going? I think mine will be going up the way I’m dipping into the kitkats.  I picked up a few more Asda bras for £6, total.

Clare .. see you’ve escaped CCU ... home will be beckoning soon.

xx

Hi Kip. Your dominant arm could be up to 5% bigger than the other naturally. Mine is 9% so quite light. The manual lymphatic drainage involves encouraging the fluid to drain away. I can feel the fluid sitting at my elbow and I use kinesiology tape on this area. My therapist starts by clearing the lymph nodes in my neck then working on my arm and breast and finally moving down to my groin. It's quite an intense massage but I can feel the benefits straight away. Michele

Kip I thought the same as you re massage. Every day I do it starting at the wrist and working up! So I’ll have to change that then! I have a friend who is a reflexologist and apparently there is a lot of evidence throwing that can help with lymphodema. Even it it doesn’t help it’s nice having someone massage your feet for an hour!
I’ve been like you Jean, obsessing about my arm at various times. I’m taking antibiotics to Nepal, just in case. What exercises have you been told to do on long haul flights? I’m stopping Tamoxifen a week before I fly because of the DT risk. I’m sure I’d be fine but it’s just something else to panic about! I’m glad your cording is better I’m sorry that it too you taking a tumble for it to improve!
I am out tonight at a fundraiser organised by my husbands work. It should be a good night but I feel so tired from my cold and life!
I hope everyone has a good weekend. Claire I hope you are feeling a little better every day. Xx

Thanks so much for your advice Kip.  I will get stroking!  I would have done if from the wrist too which is how I do my moisturiser.  Maybe I should start at the top with that too.  Glad they've caught it early so hopefully you will not suffer too much x

Kip ... I do the stroking and always when I shower, same way for moisturising. I sometimes think my arm is slightly bigger than the other but was it that way before ... can’t remember 😂 I’m sure I’ll be having someone eyeballing it one day soon , just to make sure it’s just my normal flab but also to catch things early if it’s lymphoedema. My thick cording seems improved since I head dived out of the car and whacked my ribs/chest. Im wear a wrist splint at night now as thought I’d kicked off carpal tunnel syndrome falling on my hand !!! Seems to have helped. If it’s not one thing it’s another. It would seem Tamoxifen has a lot to answer for. Keep on with the exercises ... reminds me I need to do some.... and a bit of hooping. 

xx

Kip

Thanks Optimisticmz... that sounds interesting.. what does that involve?   I don't have much swelling at the moment so hopefully things will stay that way. 

Kip

x

Kip

Hi all,

DaisyDi - thanks for the message and glad you've been following my progress.  Don't panic the lymphodema is nothing much.  I had some cording after my ANC clearance which was why i was referred to the clinic, to get their advise.  I have been massaging that and its pretty much gone.   But the nurse took measurements of my arm and the affected side is on 8% bigger than the other, you can't really tell but she wanted to get on top of it before it got worse (if it does at all).   Its not painful or anything.  I have a sleeve to wear as and when and exercises to do.  Best thing to do is to keep up the exercises everyday..I know after surgery it can be painful, but take it easy and do them religiously.   She said exercise is the best thing.  I have good movement as I have been doing them all the time.  Gentle stroking starting at the top of you arm and stroking upwards, then moving down a little bit and stroking upwards and slowly work your way down to the wrist.  Don't start at the wrist and work upwards (which is what I thought you had to do).  You should do it gently just enough that the skin creases.  Look after your arm, sun cream, wear gloves in the garden and washing up and if in doubt ask the nurses.   I am sure you will be fine Daisy, its just another thing to worry about but, actually I'm glad they are sorting it now and keeping and eye on it.  I have a friend who wears a sleeve every day and she is fine, compared to cancer and chemo a sleeve is nothing much.

Feenix - wow I didn't know you could get covers... how cool is that.  Thankfully I only need to wear it when I exercise or go for a walk.  I've been wearing it for a few hours today to see how it feels and actually its fine.  I'll make sure I keep up the exercises and hopefully it will keep it at bay.  At least its taken my mind off the aches and pains, the lymph nurse reckoned they are caused by the Tamoxifen!

Kip

xx

Hi Kip. I have followed your story too. I am ahead of you as I had surgery October 2017. I have lymphoedema in my hand, arm and breast and was fitted with a sleeve in May 2018. I am currently receiving manual lymphatic drainage from a McMillan trained nurse (6 sessions being paid for by a charity) and find I benefit greatly from this. I also find kinesio tape useful. So far the swelling is all under control. If you would like to know more than just message me. Michele

Hi Kip. Good your cording has gone. Well done on your range of movement. Sorry about the lymphoedema though.  Good to ‘catch it’ in its early stage. I like that you try to find something positive out of this. You can get bonny  sleeve covers, some which will make it look as though you’ve got a full sleeve tattoo. Hope you join your OH and son doing yoga. 

I was always worrying about my arm, and was quite obsessed at one time, as I was thinking I would be more prone to developing it having had cording and 3 surgeries, even though none of them was ANC. I did feel more at ease after the lymph nurse spoke to us just realising how manageable it is. If I develop it then I’ll just manage it. I’m pleased I now know the correct way to apply moisturiser and she did tell me exercises to do when on long haul. 

Hugs

jean xx

Hi Kip I have been following your story and was so pleased for you when you finished your treatment.  The pic of you and your children brough tears to my eyes and I now find myself teary eyed again having just read that you have lymphodema.  I am a week post op anc and that was my worst nightmare although I dont have all my results yet so no treatment plan and things may get worse for me.  I also had a 3rd reexcision to get one more clear margin but my journey has been going on since October.  Did you have swelling to your arm?  I am keen to do as much as I can to avoid lymphodema but dont really know what to do for the best.  I am still sore and numb at the moment so finding exercises a bit difficult.

Kip

Hi Michelle, apparently when exercising that it when your blood and lymph is flowing more so its important to wear the sleeve to stop it building up.   I would imagine that if you don't have lymphodema there its good to exercise to keep it flowing but the sleeve just helps stop a build up... I think!!  She did say exercise is very good, especially yoga.

Oh Kip I’m so sorry to hear you have developed Lymphodema , but it is good that they have caught it early and you now know what to do to help it. I’m intrigued why you wear it when exercising, I thought exercise was good for it? I love that you're looking for the silver lining with no bingo wings! Xx
Kip

Hi everyone,

Just been to lymphodema clinic... good news is my cording is gone... bad news is.... I have mild lymphodema... now sporting a lovely support sleeve.  I don't have to wear it all the time just when exercising, walking or housework/gardening.   She wants to stop it progressing so has told me some more exercises to do and dos and don'ts and have to go back in 3 months.  She was impressed with the movement i have though.  Actually felt quite teary when I left the clinic, seems I always go in positive and come out with something else but in teh scheme of things.. a sleeve is nothing... and another positive... no bingo wing on that side when wearing it.. lovely toned arm!  Might wear the spare on the other side...Smiley Very Happy

Claire so lovely to hear from you, what a shame about your low bp but as Kip says it’s hopefully just a blip and you get home soon. I hope you are feeling ok in yourself and I’m looking forward to your next update x

Clare ... pleased all went well... hope your BP behaves itself ASAP and you get out of CCU.

Jean xxx

Kip

Ahhh CDC.. so good to hear from you.  Glad all went well, just a minor blip with the old BP... you don't like to take things the easy route though do you.... I'm sure you'll be out of that unit pretty sharpish... sending love

Kip

xx

So sorry about your friend Kip

. I just want to send a very quick update. Unfortunately I’m spending another night in Critical Care. There have been some issues with low blood pressure since my op on Monday. Everything looks great but they need to get me off the drugs I currently need to keep myBP stable. I’ll send an update tomorrow xxx