cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery May 2018

Re: Surgery May 2018

Kip ... I’ve made cheese scones and rock cakes... probably not good as I’ll have to do lots more exercise to work off the calories.

Michelle ... definitely sounds a stressful morning. Hope your flight is good. I’ve got a week and a bit to go before I set off ... yes I’ll be online while away.

Xx

Sorry forgot to say Reddi I hope your OH is healing ok and that rads go well for you xx

So sorry to hear you have an infection Claire, as if you haven’t been through enough. I hope it gets sorted soon and you feel better. 

Kip, lemon drizzle and chocolate orange muffins, what are you doing to me?!!! They sound delicious. 

Jean I hope you packing runs more smoothly than ours and that you have a lovely trip with you OH and family. Will you be able to get online at all whilst away? If not speak when you get back.

We are en route to the airport after a stressful morning, realised our cases were too small and forgot to drop cat at cattery! Will be glad to get to the airport and check in, I can relax then! 

Thanks to you all for your good wishes, speak in a week xx 

Kip

Good luck Michelle xxx

Cdc... Sorry to hear you're feeling blurgh... Hope it gets better soon.. X  Sending virtual cake... 🍰🍰🍰

Feenix.... Did u make the scones

Reddi... Hi there hope hubbys ok

Clare ....good to hear from you .... hope you feel less grotty really soon. 

Kip ... I didn’t get the scones made yesterday but today will be the day...I can smell them as I type 😂 

Michelle ... today is the day ... safe travels ... enjoy 😊 ✈️ 🏔 🚶‍♀️ 

Reddi ... congrats on getting your project shipped.  Try cling film on the plaster cast !!! 🤔 😂 

xx

I’ve been laid low with an infection and my previous posts have disappeared so I’m going to have to keep this short but I really wanted to wish you safe travels Michelle and good luck with the trek. 

I hope your OH is not in too much pain Reddi.   Sounds like a particularly nasty fracture,

Kip I could really do with some of your lovely cakes- just been feeling so rotten.  I need some comfort food.

Jean,  hope your travel preparations are going well.  Hope you and your OH have a lovely reunion. 

Hugs to everyone.

C xxx

This will be my third attempt at replying to everyone!  My other posts seem to have disappeared into the ether.  Hoping this works! 

@Michelle21 Swift errands and safe travels. (I hope the winds of Erik don't cause any delays.) As others have already said, I suspect it will be an emotional and immensely rewarding journey (and trek) -- and I hope there is as much joy and wonder and pride and happy exhaustion as everything else you'll experience on the way. I can't wait to hear about it when you're back. ☸️💜  xoxo 

Everybody else - stay dry and warm and sheltered! Though I really, really want to get out for a walk or two this weekend, after all of last weekend was spent working on a deadline (project shipped late last night, hurrah!) or OH's A&E visit. Trying to figure out how we can cover his cast so it doesn't get too, too wet. 🌧️🌬️ Erik is a blighter. 🌧️🌬️ 

Kip

Hi Feenix,

Cheese scones... another of my favourites...now I fancy one of those.. ooh dripping in butter.....Smiley Very Happy

Its pretty miserable here, grey and damp and looking fairly windy.   Hope you find your bag,  sounds like the type I'm looking for.  I got a lovely designer one in a charity shop a while back but its the type you have to put over your arm and its soooo annoying, I like to be hands free!

Take care.. and good will power on the 1 square of chocolate... I only manage 1 bar!

Kip

x

Burning bras Kip ... very retro .... but significant. Id thrown my old ones out just before diagnosis as I planned a clean sweep... luckily I’d not bought a whole bunch of new ones. My travel bag is half packed but I’ve most things at hand to finish it off. I just need a light roomy cross body travel handbag as I threw my old one out. That’s my mission this weekend around the local shops.

The lemon drizzle cake and the chocolate orange muffins .... mmmm. I’m doing cheese scones today. I’ve not bought any biscuits for a while and I’ve stuck to a square or 2 of dark chocolate a day. 

Ill be interested in what you think about the Hope course as I’m considering whether I should do it.

I do hope the physio works.

Very windy here with some rain .. hoping it’s not too bad this afternoon so I can get out for a walk.

hope you’re all doing ok

xx

Kip

Hi ladies, 

Michelle,  sounds like you've had quite a day,  the trying on of bras would be a difficult one for all of us..  I still can't bring myself to throw out my old bras from pre mx.  They sit under my bed as a reminder of the old me and reduce me to tears to see them but I can't part with them.  I think I should have a ceremonial burning of the bras! At least you found some nice ones.  I think you will find your trek hugely emotional but hopefully a great way to mark the end of this roller coaster.  It's amaziing and you'll be very proud of yourself and so will we!!  Hope you get your packing done in time..

Jean,  great you are packed and ready to go... Must be exciting.  I made the mistake of baking lemon drizzle cake and choc orange muffins today and now can't resist. I also got my start date for Hope course so looking forward to that.  And physio booked too, hope they sort me out.

Hope everyone else is ok

Kip

Well done on getting 3 bras Michelle. Yikes... that’s leaving your packing last minute but you’ve obviously got everything ready anyway. I’m laughing at myself packing my hand luggage bag already and I’ve got a couple of weeks to go 😂 

xx

Thanks Jean I really appreciate your support, it helps so much knowing I am not alone going through this.

I did manage to finish shopping and actually bought 3 bra’s. One of the assistants came up to me and asked if she could help and after a few more tears I pulled myself together and she measured me and helped me get 3 comfortable and pretty bras, who knew they could be both! 

I’m hoping the trek will help me along. I have this romantic idea I walking away all of the bad things that happened last year. 

I havent started packing yet and tomorrow I have to drive down to drop the dog off with my mum so I might have to pack on Saturday morning before we go! 

Thanks again for your support xx

Michelle ... Emotions can hit you at any time, without warning...just needs that little trigger and today for you it’s trying on a bra. What an appropriate symbol of the rollercoaster that was 2018. The driving force behind your trek. I think the trek will ‘help you along’.

I hope you managed more shopping.

How’s the packing going?

hugs

jean xx

Thanks Jean, emotions are strange things aren’t they? I thought I was feeling ok about everything but I’ve just started crying in M & S changing room! I was trying on bras so I guess it’s not that surprising.

Maybe I feel more stressed than I thought about the trek, it has been a great focus but maybe it’s stopped me thinking about other stuff that I need to process? Who knows?  I think you are right there is an element of not letting ourselves look forward to things because of the fear of being knocked back. Oh well, pull myself together and get back to shopping xx

Michelle ... when I think about it this trip is maybe the first real test of the ‘new’ you so it may feel a bit daunting in a way...switching off a bit and concentrating on the practical things could be a coping mechanism. Maybe we are hesitant to really let ourselves go and really open up and fully enjoying something just in case we get knocked back !!??! 🤔.....We could debate this for some time !!!  It will get better though.  Main thing is that you are going on your trek, that which has kept you going, gave you focus... and it’s going to be great. 

Kip ... hope you’re good today... you too Clare.

xx

I’m sure you’re right Jean, once I get there I will be excited! It’s great that you are getting back to doing your normal trips away. You are so right with ‘it’ catching your thoughts, processing it and then carrying on with your day, and I’m sure (hope) that this will become easier as time goes by.  Well done on your walk and your HIIT exercises, it all helps. 

Claire how are you feeling now? Hope you are  doing well. 

Have a good day all xx

Definitely got to keep a sense of humour Kip ... it’s one of my coping mechanisms. Try and tweak your appointment to either March or May next year and avoid it being around OH Birthday.... just say you’re going away !!!! I definitely need to shed the weight .. only doing a bit of hooping, a couple of minutes at most but I try and pick hoop up twice a day. I’ve started doing some hiit exercises too. I’ve walked 4.67 miles around Lincoln today. I was like a snail going up Steep Hill .... so slow. My muscles were protesting going up...my knees on the way down. 

J x

Kip

Morning!

Thanks Feenix Glucosamine and Chondrin thats the other thing the nurse said to try, I couldn't remember its name.. I may give it a go and see but I get what you mean about not wanting more tablets.  I struggle to remember to take the 3 I do take on a daily basis!  

Have to admit I had a little giggle when I read you were travelling a little bit lighter this time around... I thought to myself.. "yes one boob less"... thats what I always think about myself.. . I should weight less coz I'm one down!   Been back hooping today, need to shed some weight.. I've fallen off the band wagon AGAIN...grrrr.   Oh well pick myself up and back on it.

It is strange how the hospitals differ about when you should have your first appointment isn't it.   Although I am glad mine is April it does mean that every year I will have a the awful wait over hubby's birthday and Easter.  We had an awful Easter last year so just hoping I can reign in the fear and have a better one this time round.  Also OH and son are going away to French battle in school Easte holidays so I will be home alone with my daughter so may end up fretting!  Oh well it is what it is.

Reddi - ask any questions when you have more energy.

Hope the squirrels are behaving.. they are rodents... but so cute.

Kip

x

Reddi ... they’ll be happy in the roof space where it’s warm ... let’s hope they just store nuts there.

@Kip What a comprehensive final appointment. I have questions -- but will post tomorrow, when I'm less tired!

My poor American kindred, the grey squirrels. I don't think either of us has the heart to have them killed, no matter what damage they do.

reddi ... great your sister can help you out with flight. Can see that you will have a lot of juggling with finishing rads and injections to fit a flight in. What are airline blackout periods ... ? Hope you find this year more manageable regarding work. Crikey ... what a time for your OH to fracture his hand but accidents will happen at the most inconvenient times ... hope he’s comfy in his cast.

My neighbours had squirrels in roof space .. they got traps off the council as they (grey squirrels) are classed as pests here, in the same class as rats so I was told. 

Michelle ... I think we are all in the early days stage but I get what you mean about it being surreal. I felt that way more last year ... it used to stop me in my tracks and I’d think what the **** ... then I’d process stuff, think yeah this is the new me, and then get back to what I was doing. Once you get packing, are on the flight and then get to your destination you’ll feel ok with it I’m sure. Looking forward to hearing about it.. and pics too ?  For me this flight is the old normal, just that I’ve had a break for a year and a half. I’m flying ‘lighter’ this time ... not by much though 😂 

Kip ... sounds like you had a really positive sign off appointment with an understanding nurse. Very reassuring. Really good you’ve got your mammogram appointment and onc one but I know you’ll worry until you’re told all is ok.... we will all be like that I’m sure. My mammogram will probably be April/May I’ve been told... my first op was the end of April. Once I’ve had my mammogram I’ll be transferred formally to the follow on team of nurses. Got my diagnosis March 21st. My onc appointment is in September and I should be seeing surgeon August. It might be worth while trying glucosamine.  It seems to be a common recommendation. I tried that and chondroiton some years ago. I’ve not got any at present as I really don’t want to take more tablets. I may change my mind 🤔

Popping to Lincoln tomorrow for some retail therapy and a good walk. I usually do a good few miles when there. The weather doesn’t seem too bad ... better than Thursday it would appear, according to the forecast.

xx

Wow Kip sounds like you had a very reassuring  appt. It’s interesting your 1 year check Is from diagnosis, mine is from surgery which will be August. I’m actually a bit envious of you having a mammogram sooner, I was diagnosed 29th March, but I guess I will have to trust the system and be patient! Incidentally it’s my daughters birthday on 11th April! 

Whatever you do with the squirrels I would get rid of them fast! They may look cute but like Kip says they can do some damage! X

Kip

Hi All,

Well Reddi I'm glad I wasn't the only one having posts going missing.  I posted a lengthy one twice!   What is happening?

Sorry to hear abour your OH, sounds painful and not at an ideal time too.  Good news about the eyebrows though, I wonder if the Lush soap is the key... who cares.. at long as eyebrows are coming in hey! And as for squirrels... blimey.. woulnd't know where to start with removing them... I think you can get squirrel traps.. not sure if they are humane or not though.  Squirrels can do a lot of damage though, they chew through wires and things... eeek.

Michelle - sounds like you will soon be off... I can imagine it feels quite surreal after everything that has happened over the last year... I sometimes look back and it just blows my mind.

I had my "sign off" from radiotherapy today.  It was really good to talk things over with the nurse.  She is lovely.   They are happy with my skin etc and now have appointment for my first annual mammogram... 11th April (1 year to the day of diagnosis.. and the day before OH's birthday)... fingers crossed he doesn't get another rubbish birthday.  Then a couple of weeks later (the good old 2 week wait) I have onc appt for a check up.   Trying not to worry about all that yet...but am sure it will lurk inthe depths of mind during the night.   They were very positive, said that everything looks good, good clear margins and that MX was definately the right option for me as there were some calcifications around the tumour which may have been difficult to capture with a lumpectomy.   I also questioned the size of my tumour, as its been worrying me.  When diagnosed I was told it was 22mm in size but after MX they said 55mm and I have always worried about how much it had grown.  She looked back at all my records and read them to me and explained that the tumour was still 22mm after surgery but that they measure from the widest part of the calcifications which totalled 55mm.  She was very reassuring that the lump hadn't grown at all and that they got it all.    I also asked about my aches and pains and butt ache and she said she would be very suprised if I didn't have any aches and pains and they would expect it due to chemo, rads and Tamoxifen and that she doesn't think the aches are anything significant but has recommended I self refer to physio to see if they can help but I can always ring them to request a scan if it will put my mind at rest... so feeling a bit relieved now.  She said chemo plays havoc with joints.. don't we know it!!  So all in all not a bad appointment... just got to move forward a bit now and try to regain some normality.  She also recommended taking glucosamine for the joints too.

Take care all

Kip

xx

@Michelle21 My nose won't stop running! I also get some leg fatigue in the 2-3 days after each Herceptin injection (taking a long country walk is a abit tough), but then it's gone. My last Herceptin injection will be mid September.

I wish I could take full credit for the cleverness -- my parents should get it all, as my initials are actually RED. My one grandmother always called me Robin red-breast, which made me cringe and blush as a preteen. I appended my OH's initials and liked how I sounded: 'ready'.

Now trying to decide: how to deal with the 2 squirrels that seem to be making a nest in the roof of our block of flats (pretty much right above our flat, as it happens)? They woke us in the middle of the night --  ugh, 2 nights in a row without much sleep -- and my OH has confirmed it is squirrels, and at least 2 of them, by watching the tree out back until he saw them leaping to and fro with materials. Better than a rat, I suppose. I don't want them to be exterminated (i.e., killed), but I do want them to be quiet, little scratchy paws. And the more they explore, the more worried I become that they're going to come through a pipe hole in the kitchen.

Kip, how did your end of treatment appt go? Hopefully it went well and is another step forward. Glad the butt is getting better too! I had a sports massage on my legs yesterday in preparation for next week! I can’t believe it is next week, you’re right Jean where did that time go? I haven’t started packing yet but things are accumulating in the spare room. I feel quite indifferent about the trip it’s odd. I’m not excited and I’m not nervous. I know this is going to sound really weird but I feel a bit similar to how I felt going through treatment, just getting on with it and not thinking of it too much. Obviously once I get there it’s going to be much better than treatment! Maybe because the last 10 months have been surreal this also feels surreal! 

Reddi I love your that your handle is a play on your name, it made me smile. Sorry to hear of your partners mishap, just what you need with rads coming up. I know everyone reacts differently to rads but you don’t know how you will react until you’re in it and my reaction was quite harsh. I finished mid November and only started to feel back to my normal energy levels a couple of weeks ago so it might be worth bearing that in mind when you book your trip home. Lucky that your sister can help with the flight, I bet you can’t wait to see everyone. When do you finish Herceptin? I’m on it until 20th May. I don’t have many se’s from it although have a funny taste that I’m hoping will go when I finish and also have a very runny nose! 

Claire I hope you are feeling better each day and pleased with the results of your surgery.

Have a good day all xx

@Kip I don't know if I should be frustrated or relieved that a long, whingey post I wrote earlier got eaten by the new site set-up. (Really? You time out log-ins after I've typed something up and hit post?)

Short(er) version: Haven't booked a flight to the US yet as I can't afford to, literally, because of having to turn down so many freelance projects over the past year because of treatment schedules and side effects. My sister is buying the ticket for me using frequent flyer miles, but the ideal time, near Easter, is colliding with the airline's blackout periods. I have to be post-RT (last session 7 March, if all goes to plan), and fit between Herceptin injections (every 21 days) and Zoladex injections (every 28 days). It's proving difficult. However, I have priced travel insurance for the US, and happy to say it won't bankrupt us. I was really worried it would be over a thousand pounds -- though I guess about £250 for 2 weeks isn't exactly cheap.

Separately, my OH has joined @cdc's daughter as a fracture clinic patient! (@cdc, how is your daughter getting on?) He mashed his hand on a railing when the bus he was on stopped abruptly, and ended up with a bad spiral fracture in the hand bone connected to his small finger. Thankfully, the ortho he saw today said he can get away without surgery to insert a pin, though his finger won't ever align quite like it used to. Still, he needs a cast for 3 weeks, then, if the bone is healing okay, he'll switch to a hand splint for 3-6 weeks. I'm not sure how we're going to manage the launderette while I'm having RT. Supermarket shopping for us as well as his mum is also going to require some rearranging. Oh, well.

Also (though this belongs more in the chemo thread): @Kip, I've tried using the Lush New soap on my eyebrow area, like you said you did, and my eyebrows are coming in! It may just be coincidence, and they're only halfbrows right now, but it is super exciting. So thank you for mentioning that you did this!

@Michelle21 & @Feenix -- You must be on the wing very soon!

Hi Kip

Pleased you’re not prodding and poking ... so much !!

Sunny here and quite nice out.

A ‘sign off treatment’ appointment is good...another step forward.

Ive got another couple of weeks to go so this week I need to get everything together so I’m not leaving stuff til the last minute.... I’ve got a list or two on the go. Michelle will be off at the weekend ... yikes, where did that time go to. Just remembered Kip ..have you been to the wedding you were invited to?

I hope you’re nearly fully packed Michelle ... it’ll be such a great experience .. steady away.

Clare ... how are you doing? I can’t remember whether you said but presuming you don’t need rads.

Definitely hope you’re planning your trip Reddi.

It looks so good out I might do some washing 

hope you all have a good day

xx

Kip

Morning all,  the little amount of snow we did get here has well and truly gone now.  just a miserable and wet grey Monday.   Hope you are all well, CDC hope the recovery is going to plan and you are making leaps and bounds, let me know if the aches and pains return once Tamoxifen is back in your system.   I still have the achy butt cheek and leg but am trying not to prod and poke it (sort of!!)..

I have an appointment with radiotherapy team tomorrow - the letter states "Breast Care End Treatment Clinic".. not sure what that is but hoping its just a sign off.  It always sends me down the gremlin road when an appointment is due.  Just reminding myself I haven't had any tests done so no results to be had tomorrow.  

Jean - when do you go away, its very soon isn't it?

Michelle - you are off too aren't you.... wishing you all the best of luck for that... you are amazing.

Reddi - have you booked your trip yet?

KTK - how are you doing?

Anyone else I have forgotten... hope  everying is progressing nicely!

Kip

xx

Ha .. spoke too soon...have snow, but only a smattering 😊 

I’ll know what it’s like out and about when I feed the birds ... then out to shops but think I’ll wait a while. Cup of ☕️ beckons.

I hope the snow isn’t too bad where you are.

J xx

Hi all

Pleased to say there’s been no snow here. Warmer today compared to last two. 

Michelle ... I’ll be ‘there’  in 3 weeks. I’ve started to sort bag out already and I only take hand luggage !!!  Got my Jungle formula. Your doc was definitely a bit off about a/b’s yet it’s the advice we get. If I need anything I’ll just buy over the pharmacy counter. You’ll have a lot of kit to take 👀.  See you and OH are doing good preparing... 12 miles 😊 🚶‍♀️ You’ll be getting excited I’m sure as not long to go. Pleased you’re getting your energy back ... and making BIG lists.

What a fab pic Kip ... filters sound interesting.  Hope your butt isn’t too bad .. and that you can resist prodding. Yes .. the flat side should be much easier to keep an eye on compared to the uniboob... anything I’m not happy with I’ll be beating a path back to the clinic. As everything was occult on mammogram I do wonder about future follow up...didn’t ask about density but as I’m no spring chicken I doubt I have dense tissue ... but I will ask just so I know. 

Clare .. keep up the good work...when you get back to it. I do hope you continue to make steady progress recovering. 

Reddi ..Robin... get yourself booked up for Virginia. It’ll be fab for you to see your parents .. and for them to see you. If you’re not ready to book ... plan... makes lists 😊 

Ooo... a joint get together.

I hibernated for a couple of days but been out and about today... no probs with car I’m pleased to say. 

I see we have to prove we are not a robot now... on numerous occasions for me because I’m typing one fingered on iPad 😂 

Clare I asked about density and they looked at my mammogram. I saw my mammogram and mri at the Marsden. I was wondering what to do so thanks for the advice. I hope your recovery continues to go well. I may be able to claim on an insurance policy through work which covers some tests and a consultation up to £200 called BHSF so will check that out.

Snow was bad here but made it in to our Taunton office today as the other office was closed in the Blacktown Hills. It did say not to travel on local radio unless necessary so my OH took me in and picked me up. Ahh.x

Kip

Ha ha ... believe me I don't look like that in real life... add some bags and plenty of wrinkles and thats me.. but thought.. hell why not make myself look a bit better if even for virtual viewing!  

WOW KIP! You are looking fantastic! I must speak to my girls about putting filters on some of my pics, I need all the help I can get! 😂

Kip

Good Morning everyone,

Well not much more snow here but very cold and ominous looking.. and the car wouldn't start this morning.. grrr... good job I work from home!  Daughter had to get on the bus but thats no biggie!

Clare - thanks for all the information about the breast density... so glad you are on our thread!   I am going to ask what my density was when I next go.  I know they said they couldn't make out what it was from the mammogram so I had an ultrasound, I also had an MRI before surgery too.   As least my one flat side should be easy to spot anything suspicious... just have to keep red alert for the poor remaining one.  

Michelle - I promise I'll try not to prod.. but ooh the temptation.

Big News.... I had my first hair cut last night.  It was so good to be doing something normal again.  I say haircut.. more of a snip really.  She took of the fluffy ends to even it out.  She said its like a baby getting hair and it could change texture and colour even at this stage.   She says she does a few post-chemo ladies and their hair has changed over time too.   I think I had forgotten all about using products, conditioner etc... as I just use the Lush New bar and don't do much else... looked so much better when she blow dried it and put product in... I'll attach the photo if I can.. although it is my new profile pic if you can see it.   Oh and by the way... I don't look this good really... amazing what a couple of filters do... the joys of having teenagers who know all the tricks...

IMG_20190131_183444_479.jpg

Claire I love that you are so passionate about breast density. I will ask my breast density at my next mammogram. Mine was seen on a mammogram but I had an ultra sound too. I haven’t had a breast MRI at all. I can imagine having this to focus on is helping you too, I know fundraising and training is helping me. I feel I have a bit of direction at a time when I really need it. I’m not very good at going with the flow, I’m not laid back enough! 

Reddi I’m August surgery and April chemo so I’m a ‘crasher’ here too! Must say i couldn’t have done without the support of this thread the last few months. Have you booked to go to Virginia? You must be so looking forward to seeing your parents. 

Maybe we should have a joint get together of June chemo and  May surgery as there is an overlap? 

Kip stop prodding that injury! 😂 I’m exactly the same “does it hurt if I do this...!’ 

Jean how are you doing? Have you started packing? All of our stuff is in the spare room which is looking a mess now! 

We have snow here today although not as much as they predicted. I’m stranded for now as we live up a country lane and my car is rear wheel drive. It looks pretty but hopefully the sun will melt it away today! 

Have a good day all x

Go, Clare! You are a champion.

I really do feel reassured that I made the right decision Linda.  I am a D on the bi-rad scale as I have extremely dense tissue.  I’m extremely pleased to hear you asked to see your mammogram and find out your density.  The more people that ask, the more it will become the norm to tell people. I would certainly consider a private ultrasound if I was in your position though it’s good to know that the mammogram was effective in picking up your tumour.  I’ve been told that it can’t be ruled out that I’ll ever get BC again but the chances are small and I will notice something amiss immediately as the only place it could occur is directly under the skin.  I’m considering going for a private ultrasound of my chest area each year anyway. My private ultrasound was the best money I ever spent - under £200 for both.  My sonographer said there were suspicious areas on both sides- it was the NHS radiographer that initially said I just had a cyst on the left.  Thank goodness the consultant sent me for an MRI anyway.  It picked up my bilateral BC. I’d recommend to anyone (who hasn’t had a double MX) to get their breast density checked and if it shows a C or D rating go for a private ultrasound if not offered one on the NHS. I believe private MRIs are expensive but worth considering too.  I should be starting my work with the Cancer Collaborative soon looking at alternative ‘pathways’ for those for whom mammograms are ineffective including people with very dense tissue and/or significant family history but no BRCA or PALb mutations.  (MRIs are only currently offered by the NHS  to those with a known mutation) I’ll let you know how I get on.  There is a big push in the medical community this year on overhauling screening for all cancers and finding ways to ensure earlier diagnosis. Xx

Clare I am pleased that you got good results and they found the further cancers. It must be reassuring to know you did the right thing. I can't believe they didn't know about it. Would it have been picked up from an MRI? Makes me worry I may have more undetected cancer but hopefully the MRI would have picked it up. I asked about my dense breast tissue to see if I need an MRI or anything else. I am B or possibly C on the Bi_rads scale. They looked at my mammogram and said they could see the cancer. C means small areas may go undetected though. I was told that a mammogram would be ok but if I wanted I could get an MRI done privately.

Grrrrr. I wasn't done writing that. Anyhoo, thanks for the invitation to crash, and the good wishes. Love hearing about your trips and treks, and gives me heart that a trio to the wilds of Virginia will be doable cine April. (I haven't seen my parents in person for more than a year now.) Have a wonderful time, both. xoxo Robin

Aw, thanks Michelle & Jean! I feel as though I know all the May surgery folks (even though I am a December surgery person, because I've been lurking off and on to keep up-to-date with everyone on the June chemo thread.

Kip

Hi Michelle, thanks for the advise about the glutes.   I have been looking at hamstring tendonitis on line and it matches me completely.  Im doing the gentle stretches and build up exercises to see if they help.   Stupid me though... did the exercises this morning.. have been working for a while and got up to walk around and thought "hey the pain in the top of the leg/butt joint has gone.. only twinging higher up"... instead of taking joy in that I thought "wonder if it still hurts if I bend down"... duh... "yes it does" is the answer and now its aches again... when will I learn!! 

Rather frosty start here in Suffolk, -3 this morning but beautiful and sunny.. no more snow though.. yet!

Kip

xx

Hello all!
Great to hear from you Claire and great news about your results, I’m pleased and relieved for you. All the awful stuff is coming to an end! It’s interesting you day you trusted your intuition and it proved right as I feel I have lost faith and confidence in my intuition, I didn’t know I had this until it was tender. Your Tamoxifen experiment sounds interesting let us know the results!
Kip your butt cheek problem sounds like your glutes. I have a weak left glute which causes the problem in my hip flexor when I run. I’m like you when I get up from sitting I’m like a 90year old but once I’m moving I’m fine. If you know of a good physio it’s worth going to see one as they can work wonders to rid you of the pain and give you exercises which strengthen the right are. I have to do lunges and leg raises, I try to remember to do them everyday but you know what it’s like!
Jean thanks for the advice for the plane and the jungle formula repellent, it’s in my case! I’m also picking up some anti-b’s today. The doctor was a bit shirty about it suggesting it should be private not NHS which was annoying and if I’d been expecting her comments I would have argued my case but you know what it’s like, never thinknof these things at the time! What date do you go? We fly on 9th. You must be excited to see your OH and family, willnit be relaxing or will you be on the go all the time?
OH’s b’day was quiet after the fundraiser but very enjoyable. As he was off on Monday we went for a training walk in the Brecon Beacons. If I was more computer savvy I would post a picture as it was beautiful and another 12 hilly miles under our belt. I seem to just be coming out of the tiredness from rads and feeling more myself again which is great.
OH and I went on a BCC Friends and Fsmiky session last night. It was ok, a lot of talk about mindfulness. If I’m honest I probably would have enjoyed listening to everyone there and their stories of how they have coped and coping rather than a led talk but hey ho! One thing which might be of interest as there is always a lot of underwear talk here, BCC hold lingerie evenings with big companies ie John Lewis, m & s, Debenhams etc they measure you up and bring samples. Might be worth having a look to see if they go on in your areas?
Now my energy levels have returned I am determined to get stuff done in the daytime, so I have started the mother of all lists and it is doing the job and getting me focused! Best be off got jobs to do. Hope you are all well!
Ps Reddi you can crash anytime! Xx

No snow here ... frozen pond and frosty but sunny 🌞 

Getting back to swimming sounds good Kip. I’ve been looking at Asda tankini top and some stingray gear.... I’ve got a swimming KK but yet to decide if I want to use it if I get back to swimming. I’d like to find a ruched top, no formed cups, which would be good to use flat. 

Xx

Kip

Hi everyone,

CDC - so good to hear you are healing well and that you got the best news from your results...wondeful.   Sounds like you are healing quickly too which is lovely.   Hopefully no rads for you, but if they do suggest it, I am sure it will be the least problematic treatment after everything else you've been through.   Be good to be finished with active treatment though.   Keep me up to date with whether the aches and pains resume once Tamoxifen starts again, that will be a good marker for what may be causing mine.  My knees and feet are improving, the ache first thing in teh morning and if I sit still for too long but once up and about they get going, its the butt muscle pull which is still problematic but that could be nothing to do with any of this cancer business.  I wonder if I have over used an already tight muscle/joint/tendon and am paying the price, its fine when standing still or laying down, doesn't wake me at night just painful if I sit for a length of time or bend down to my toes, then I feel a pull. 

feenix - I am still doing my stretches twice a day and I think it does help, must remember that the old body isn't as nimble as before and needs some love and attention before exercise.  I am hoping to collect my swimming knocker from my Mum this week and then hopefully get sign off from radiotherapy on Tuesday and can start swimming.  Will be lovely to feel weightless for once!!

Its been snowing here in the night, just a light dusting but very icy this morning.  Anyone else got any?

Kip

xx

Reddi .... hope you’re recovering well post op. Hope you get through your rads without too much trouble.

xx

Pleased you’re doing so well Clare  ... I can imagine your abdo wound would twang a bit bending/picking things up but it can only improve. Fab news about your results so definitely the right choice. Such a relief for you. It would be good if active hospital treatment was at an end ... fingers crossed for your appointment with oncologist. I’m sure they’ll suggest the best for you. Here’s to a continued good recovery 🍾 🎆 😊 

Yes, OH is away and I’m going over next month... got my deet  50% jungle formula packed already... it was the first thing on my list. 

Hugs xx

@cdc - Crashing May surgery very quickly to say how lovely it is to hear you're doing so well -- and so pleased to hear your results. Wonderful news. Fingers crossed that rads is off the table for  you, post bi-Mx -- would be nice to have one less treatment, right? (I start my rads for left breast on 7 Feb, eons away.)

Michelle
So impressed with your fundraising. It’s always so sad hearing of others going through tough times too. Sending hugs xxx