cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery May 2018

Re: Surgery May 2018

Go, Clare! You are a champion.

I really do feel reassured that I made the right decision Linda.  I am a D on the bi-rad scale as I have extremely dense tissue.  I’m extremely pleased to hear you asked to see your mammogram and find out your density.  The more people that ask, the more it will become the norm to tell people. I would certainly consider a private ultrasound if I was in your position though it’s good to know that the mammogram was effective in picking up your tumour.  I’ve been told that it can’t be ruled out that I’ll ever get BC again but the chances are small and I will notice something amiss immediately as the only place it could occur is directly under the skin.  I’m considering going for a private ultrasound of my chest area each year anyway. My private ultrasound was the best money I ever spent - under £200 for both.  My sonographer said there were suspicious areas on both sides- it was the NHS radiographer that initially said I just had a cyst on the left.  Thank goodness the consultant sent me for an MRI anyway.  It picked up my bilateral BC. I’d recommend to anyone (who hasn’t had a double MX) to get their breast density checked and if it shows a C or D rating go for a private ultrasound if not offered one on the NHS. I believe private MRIs are expensive but worth considering too.  I should be starting my work with the Cancer Collaborative soon looking at alternative ‘pathways’ for those for whom mammograms are ineffective including people with very dense tissue and/or significant family history but no BRCA or PALb mutations.  (MRIs are only currently offered by the NHS  to those with a known mutation) I’ll let you know how I get on.  There is a big push in the medical community this year on overhauling screening for all cancers and finding ways to ensure earlier diagnosis. Xx

Clare I am pleased that you got good results and they found the further cancers. It must be reassuring to know you did the right thing. I can't believe they didn't know about it. Would it have been picked up from an MRI? Makes me worry I may have more undetected cancer but hopefully the MRI would have picked it up. I asked about my dense breast tissue to see if I need an MRI or anything else. I am B or possibly C on the Bi_rads scale. They looked at my mammogram and said they could see the cancer. C means small areas may go undetected though. I was told that a mammogram would be ok but if I wanted I could get an MRI done privately.

Grrrrr. I wasn't done writing that. Anyhoo, thanks for the invitation to crash, and the good wishes. Love hearing about your trips and treks, and gives me heart that a trio to the wilds of Virginia will be doable cine April. (I haven't seen my parents in person for more than a year now.) Have a wonderful time, both. xoxo Robin

Aw, thanks Michelle & Jean! I feel as though I know all the May surgery folks (even though I am a December surgery person, because I've been lurking off and on to keep up-to-date with everyone on the June chemo thread.

Kip

Hi Michelle, thanks for the advise about the glutes.   I have been looking at hamstring tendonitis on line and it matches me completely.  Im doing the gentle stretches and build up exercises to see if they help.   Stupid me though... did the exercises this morning.. have been working for a while and got up to walk around and thought "hey the pain in the top of the leg/butt joint has gone.. only twinging higher up"... instead of taking joy in that I thought "wonder if it still hurts if I bend down"... duh... "yes it does" is the answer and now its aches again... when will I learn!! 

Rather frosty start here in Suffolk, -3 this morning but beautiful and sunny.. no more snow though.. yet!

Kip

xx

Hello all!
Great to hear from you Claire and great news about your results, I’m pleased and relieved for you. All the awful stuff is coming to an end! It’s interesting you day you trusted your intuition and it proved right as I feel I have lost faith and confidence in my intuition, I didn’t know I had this until it was tender. Your Tamoxifen experiment sounds interesting let us know the results!
Kip your butt cheek problem sounds like your glutes. I have a weak left glute which causes the problem in my hip flexor when I run. I’m like you when I get up from sitting I’m like a 90year old but once I’m moving I’m fine. If you know of a good physio it’s worth going to see one as they can work wonders to rid you of the pain and give you exercises which strengthen the right are. I have to do lunges and leg raises, I try to remember to do them everyday but you know what it’s like!
Jean thanks for the advice for the plane and the jungle formula repellent, it’s in my case! I’m also picking up some anti-b’s today. The doctor was a bit shirty about it suggesting it should be private not NHS which was annoying and if I’d been expecting her comments I would have argued my case but you know what it’s like, never thinknof these things at the time! What date do you go? We fly on 9th. You must be excited to see your OH and family, willnit be relaxing or will you be on the go all the time?
OH’s b’day was quiet after the fundraiser but very enjoyable. As he was off on Monday we went for a training walk in the Brecon Beacons. If I was more computer savvy I would post a picture as it was beautiful and another 12 hilly miles under our belt. I seem to just be coming out of the tiredness from rads and feeling more myself again which is great.
OH and I went on a BCC Friends and Fsmiky session last night. It was ok, a lot of talk about mindfulness. If I’m honest I probably would have enjoyed listening to everyone there and their stories of how they have coped and coping rather than a led talk but hey ho! One thing which might be of interest as there is always a lot of underwear talk here, BCC hold lingerie evenings with big companies ie John Lewis, m & s, Debenhams etc they measure you up and bring samples. Might be worth having a look to see if they go on in your areas?
Now my energy levels have returned I am determined to get stuff done in the daytime, so I have started the mother of all lists and it is doing the job and getting me focused! Best be off got jobs to do. Hope you are all well!
Ps Reddi you can crash anytime! Xx

No snow here ... frozen pond and frosty but sunny 🌞 

Getting back to swimming sounds good Kip. I’ve been looking at Asda tankini top and some stingray gear.... I’ve got a swimming KK but yet to decide if I want to use it if I get back to swimming. I’d like to find a ruched top, no formed cups, which would be good to use flat. 

Xx

Kip

Hi everyone,

CDC - so good to hear you are healing well and that you got the best news from your results...wondeful.   Sounds like you are healing quickly too which is lovely.   Hopefully no rads for you, but if they do suggest it, I am sure it will be the least problematic treatment after everything else you've been through.   Be good to be finished with active treatment though.   Keep me up to date with whether the aches and pains resume once Tamoxifen starts again, that will be a good marker for what may be causing mine.  My knees and feet are improving, the ache first thing in teh morning and if I sit still for too long but once up and about they get going, its the butt muscle pull which is still problematic but that could be nothing to do with any of this cancer business.  I wonder if I have over used an already tight muscle/joint/tendon and am paying the price, its fine when standing still or laying down, doesn't wake me at night just painful if I sit for a length of time or bend down to my toes, then I feel a pull. 

feenix - I am still doing my stretches twice a day and I think it does help, must remember that the old body isn't as nimble as before and needs some love and attention before exercise.  I am hoping to collect my swimming knocker from my Mum this week and then hopefully get sign off from radiotherapy on Tuesday and can start swimming.  Will be lovely to feel weightless for once!!

Its been snowing here in the night, just a light dusting but very icy this morning.  Anyone else got any?

Kip

xx

Reddi .... hope you’re recovering well post op. Hope you get through your rads without too much trouble.

xx

Pleased you’re doing so well Clare  ... I can imagine your abdo wound would twang a bit bending/picking things up but it can only improve. Fab news about your results so definitely the right choice. Such a relief for you. It would be good if active hospital treatment was at an end ... fingers crossed for your appointment with oncologist. I’m sure they’ll suggest the best for you. Here’s to a continued good recovery 🍾 🎆 😊 

Yes, OH is away and I’m going over next month... got my deet  50% jungle formula packed already... it was the first thing on my list. 

Hugs xx

@cdc - Crashing May surgery very quickly to say how lovely it is to hear you're doing so well -- and so pleased to hear your results. Wonderful news. Fingers crossed that rads is off the table for  you, post bi-Mx -- would be nice to have one less treatment, right? (I start my rads for left breast on 7 Feb, eons away.)

Michelle
So impressed with your fundraising. It’s always so sad hearing of others going through tough times too. Sending hugs xxx

Hi all
Sorry for delay in posting- I’m up and about and doing really well. Thanks for your lovely comments with regards to the FB photo Kip.
I had my results appointment today and WOOHOO! They removed all the cancer so I’m officially cancer free. Soooo happy! They did actually find further cancer in both breasts only a 4mm of DCIS in the left and 2mm of invasive cancer in the right which the consultant said they hadn’t expected to find but I’m so glad I trusted my instincts and went for the double mastectomy and he agreed it was the right decision. Just thought- does that mean even the chemo didn’t kill it all??? I have to see the clinical oncologist to discuss radiotherapy on the right as the guidelines advise it for any tumours over 5cm and mine was 5.4cm but they may say I don’t need it. I’m also healing really well and have to keep reminding myself not to lift things or bend too much- I forget as I feel so well and then end up in pain! Mainly my abdomen. I was still getting a lot of aches before surgery but they’ve eased off and I’m wondering if they are Tamoxifen related as I had to stop taking it for a few weeks. Start again tonight so will be interesting to see if the aches return. I’ll let you know Kip.

Sorry I’m not up to date with everyone’s news but I believe your OH is in India Jean and you will be joining him. Is that right?? If so how exciting!

How are the wedding plans going Lisa?

Reddi When do you start rads?

Take care and hugs to all xxx

Keep on with the stretches Kip. I have a stretching regime of OH’s , just basics, but it’s the one thing I don’t do and it doesn’t take long. I’ve done about 20-30 mins wii fit ... aerobics, yoga and spot jogging. I don’t have any plans to be out and about today ...it’s a bit chilly outside as pond is still frozen.

I’m eyeballing politics at the moment !!! 

Pleased Clare is looking ok. Big op to recover from but I’m sure she’ll do well.... one determined lady. She’s back waiting for results too which we know is hard.

J xx

Kip

Hi Feenix, you are completely right.. I wasn't doing any stretches or warm ups before exercising but I have found some gentle exercise for high hamstring tendonitis and am doing those morning and evening and they do seem to help.. trouble is I keep poking, prodding and bending down to see if it still hurts and then it does!   Must try harder!!!

I saw a lovely photo CDC on her Facebook page the other day and she looked really well.

Kip

x

Kip .. a day of no butt pain ...great. Reappearing ...not so great. It does sound hamstringish ... that’s definitely not a proper word !!! Do you do stretches of calf/hamstrings ... what you would do to warm up before exercise in general? Just a thought. Hope your late brekkie was good... more like brunch though. I’ve bought a chocolate eclair 😈 

Wonder how Clare is doing.

Michelle ... hope your trek prep is going ok.

Jxx

Kip

How funny Feenix.. i was wondering what an "unpaid" bra looked like.  Well you are certainly the expert on where to go for good bras aren't you.   Let us know if H&M do them.. hadn't thought of looking there.

I haven't hooped today, stiff butt cheek again, Saturday it was fabulous, first day without any pain.. then yesterday.. it began getting achy again...especially when bending down it pulls from let upwards... grrrr.. must remember to bend my knees.   I've just realised I haven't had any breakfast.. no wonder I am hungry.. must get something healthy before that biscuit tin calls me...

Kip

x

Bit of gobbledygook in there... wearing Asda bra and hoping for them to make unpadded no lace bra. 😂 

Morning ladies

Hope you’ve all had a good weekend.

I mainly caught up with the ironing and tv series I’ve not seen....but did start doing some hooping. I only did a short walk yesterday as it was quite chilly out. I also did my hour watching birds for the RSPB birdwatch. I’ve finished off the last biscuit so now have to think of something I can nibble on without piling on the pounds ... which I’ve now got to make the effort and lose. I know I can do it just by cutting out the rubbish. Although stress was involved last year I remind myself that I can drop at least a stone and a half quite quickly 😂 I’m having virginal tea at the moment (no biscuits) before I go out to the shops and return a bra to m&s. It was one recommended, white zip up at the front. I did like it but the straps couldn’t be adjusted... it was like a crop top in shape. Hey ho another one bites the dust. In Asda at the mo... can wear them with or without foob. Hoping they do some unpaid Ed ones without the lace. I’ve yet to try Amoena. Might look ar H&M as I’m sure I’ve seen it mentioned somewhere they do them ... might have been on FF.

J xx