61270members
323050posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery May 2018

Re: Surgery May 2018

Sorry for the waiting Kip and Michelle - nightmare for you both.

I have amazingly received a letter for a nuclear meds bone scan on Monday, so I am greatly impressed by the speed (although after losing me that other week, I always have a bit of doubt now!)  It will be the injection and hanging about with book and in the coffee shop until it's time for a laydown and photos . . . . Sending hurry-up wishes to Kip and Michelle's hospitals. . . . x

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh Michelle... isn't this just about the worst kind of rollercoaster ride ever!!   I feel sick and want to get off...Smiley Frustrated

Still no results, just rang hospital and was told although they say 10 days it can sometimes take 4 WEEKS!!!!!! The secretary is going to try and chase up and call me back. I’m feeling much the same as Kip. X

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Morning all, thanks for your lovely messages of support, feeling a bit better today, just resigned to the waiting game.   I did manage to avoid the chocolate (well a tiny piece may have passed my lips but not too much).   Even got the hoola hoop out in the garden in the sunshine to work of some annoyance.  

CDC - very frustrating the whole density issue, just wish they'd all sing from the same hymn sheet hey.   Sorry to hear you are suffering with the tamoxifen too, is the flushes that are bad for you?   Mine aren't too bad now, a couple in the night and maybe one in the daytime but pretty manageable, for me its the aches and pains.  I have to say, fingers crossed, that they seem to be getting slightly better, either that or I am just getting used to it.  Still very stiff if I sit still for too long but I can manage to walk it off a bit.   Not sure if its the supplements helping, the same brand of Teva for a while or what but as long as it continues. She did suggest trying the same brand every month so she definitely sees  a link between the different brands causing problems.   The nurse did say that its best to try to keep moving as much as possible as the joints are lacking in their "fluid" from the Tamoxifen and that's why they hurt.   Although she did then add that the more you move you will probably feel more tiredness.. so a double edged sword really.     Are you taking any supplements?  With the aspirin and tamoxifen I am also taking another 4 pills and rubbing on emu oil....She said that 90% of the problems she sees in her clinic are all "menopause" related issues from treatments...she is trying to get a "menopause clinic" up and running not just for patients but for staff too because she said that the vast majority of female staff in the oncology area are of a menopausal age and are all suffering too and it would be good to have a place to offer different areas of help with things.   Bring it on I say!  Sure it will never happen though as her boss is a man!! 

I've also just bought a Fitbit type watch..(only a cheap version) just to record steps and sleep etc.. quite interesting to see..It also beeps if I sit still for over 15 minutes to encourage me to stand and straighten my joints...helps I work at home otherwise the office would think I was mad!!

Hope everyone is doing ok.. any news from Michelle and her results yet?

Kip

xx

Oh Kip

So sorry you’ve had such a difficult day especially after psyching yourself up for the results.  I do hope you get them soon. I’m glad the nurse was understanding but it must be so hard when you just want reassurance that everything is ok.  How are you feeling this evening? A bit brighter I hope.  Did you manage to keep averting your eyes from the chocs?  Any attempts at self-restraint have gone out of the window on my part! However,  I did manage to offload a whole tub full of Easter eggs at the Memory Cafe where I volunteer this morning.  Still have two shelves full of them in the fridge though! 

I’m interested to hear that your diagnosis stated dense tissue yet the lady you saw previously thought it was something you only heard about in the US!  I was offered tamoxifen as a chemoprevention in 2017.  I knew nothing about dense breast tissue possibly masking tumours or that it could reduce breast density then.  I was reluctant to take it as my GP had never heard of it being used in a preventative measure,  I now know studies show it reduces density so alongside preventing recurrence in ER+ BC I suppose that’s another positive but I’m also struggling with the side effects of the Tamoxifen. 😪 

It’s interesting to hear what you’ve been told re checking the MX side.  I’ve been told I will just know as it will be obvious!  I really don’t find that helpful at all.  Not heard about the purple pustules that aren’t pustules??? I will obviously be keeping a close look out for any changes.  I’m pleased to say that with massaging the fat necrosis on my left side has lessened.  It was freaking me out as it felt like the original tumour so I’m relieved not to have that reminder.  

Aww sorry for that lack of results Kip.  Hope the next day or so brings you the phone call to put your mind at rest.  The waiting game is so stressful. xx

Kip, such a let down when you were so hopeful of getting your results today. It’s not surprising you’ve been tearful. It’s good to have a rant on here. Fingers crossed your results will be on the system this week. Checking mx side I tend to feel along scar when massaging and also look in a mirror. I was thinking whether it would be a good idea to take a pic of the area and keep that as a baseline for future reference.... can store it in a private folder on phone ?? I forgot about looking for skin changes... that’s a timely reminder. 

OH has holiday insurance through bank account and it covers me too. OH phoned them and updated my info re BC which didn’t incur a charge as I’m not on active treatment ... the letrozole is preventative so that was ok. 

Michelle ... hope your results are available soon.

Clare ... hope your perseverance with acupuncture yields results.

Happy St George’s Day

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi ladies,  just back from hospital and feeling so fed up... Still no results available.  Nurse said she'll look out for them and ring me if she sees then in the next few days.  She blamed Easter for the delay!   Don't know why but can't stop crying.. just had psyched myself up for today and actually didn't get anywhere.   I really wanted the results to be able to draw a line under this for a few months and now feel on edge just waiting again.   The nurse was lovely and said she understood but that is"just the way it works".. doesn't help when you are the one hanging on for results though.  

We discussed the aches and pains, she feels they are due to the Tamoxifen and menopause.  I had taken all my supplements to show her to (a) check they are ok with Tamoxifen and (b) to get an opinion.  She said that they were all fine and that taking magnesium, Vit D and glucosamine was a good idea as the chemo affects the amount of magnesium in your joints and lack of Vit D causes aches and pains too.  Also showed her the Emu oil with glucosamine and she ok'd that too.   Unfortunately she said the SEs are just something that some ladies get but that the overall results from taking the Tamoxifen should outway the bad.. so basically put up and shut up I guess.  

Breast Density:  I took along the letter you sent Clare, with the photos of the grades of density and asked her about mine, explaining that at mammogram was told it wasn't something they could do at Ipswich hospital.   Interestingly she looked up my diagnosis from last year and it clearly states "dense breast tissue" although doesn't state which grade.  She then said that they don't grade them but that as I am on Tamoxifen and had chemo my remaining breast should be less dense now.  She has said once the report comes through from this mammogram they should be able to compare and see if it differs.  So having been told they can't tell density at Ipswich.. apparently they can and do but just don't say.  She tried to tell me that last year, although my tissue was dense, they could still see the lump.. duh I could see the lump too.. I was actually talking about the remaining breast and its density now.   So I'll wait for these results and then see if I can find out what the report says.. if it says dense then it needs further investigation I would have thought. 

Checks on the MX side:  I asked how/what do I do to check the MX side, was hoping she would take a look.. nope.. she said any skin mets would look like "purple pustules which arent pustules" and look quite distinct.. not sure what that means..but just got to keep an eye out for any changes.

So although a nice chat.. not much out of it.really. just got to wait for results, if they are ok, then I get another check up with her in 6 months time.  Not sure what I expected really, just feel quite flat by it all (pardon the pun!).

On a different note she did give me some information about getting holiday insurance post cancer … anyone had any difficulties with this?

Michelle - had any joy with your results?

Sorry for the boring old rant.. needed to get that all out.. stomping around at home feeling furious and fed up...and trying not to look at chocolate...

Kip

xx

Thanks Michelle

That's really helpful.  Going to order one now!

Clare X

Thanks Paulus x

Clare I have a chillow and love it! I have it by my bed every night and usually use it whilst reading before I go to sleep. Then I put it on the floor next to my bed. Sometimes I use it if I wake up in the night but it’s so cold I don’t tend to sleep on it. I find it really gives me a bit of relief from the flush. X

I do so hope you get your results very soon and all is well.  It's a stressful time so the worries are understandable but hope you've been able to put them to the back of your mind whilst enjoying the sunshine.  My knees have been aching badly but I think it's down to Tamoxifen and age. Interesting to hear that wheat may be an issue.  Let us know what they say tomorrow Kip.  My main side effects from the hormone therapy are hot flushes and night sweats.  My research consultant suggested getting a 'chill'ow. Anyone tried one?  She also said to cut out chocolate and coffee - I don't drink the latter and I'm feeling sick of chocolate as I've had so much over the Easter weekend so maybe I'll take a break from it over the next month or so and see if it has any effects!!  Hopefully if I lose some weight my joint pain will lesson.  I've had two sessions of accupuncture as it's the first thing that they try at the Marsden for hormone therapy issues.  As yet it doesn't really seem to be helping but I'm willing to keep going with it.   I have another 4 sessions to go and if I see an improvement I will be shown how to 'self- needle'!  

Take Care everyone and hope you've had a lovely Easter bank holiday

Clare X

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks ladies...

Michelle... Mine said 2-3 weeks so hoping they have them tomorrow or I'll still be waiting. Fingers crossed for u too 🤞

I have lots of questions to ask tomorrow .. Might mention wheat... Certainly worth trying ..

Lovibg the sunshine tho... Just pottering in the garden... Aches allowing . And Feenix you are right.. I slouch terribly when reading and have been sitting reading for hours at a time lately with neck down... Must try harder not too 

KIP

Michelle - wishing you all the best with results. Fingers and paws crossed xx

Kip ... you’ve got the triple whammy  of chemo, rads and tamoxifen on board so not surprised you’ve got major aches as from what is written about others experiences it is common and can last for some time. However, I get that you’re worried and that is our normal reaction now. I was thinking I had brain mets the other week ... that was my first thought when I had an odd pain but I realised that I was stressed and I do tend to tense my shoulders, neck and jaw so hence that affects the head. When reading try holding your book up to minimise bending your neck too much and putting strain on it. I have to remember to do that when on iPad, phone, reading etc .... even now I’m adjusting my posture... good reminder to myself. I’m a terrible slouch and have to consciously correct myself.... feel better when I do. Anyway it was a thought that came to mind that might help. You’ll  be able to voice your worries tomorrow at your appointment... hope all goes well and you find yourself out of the place asap. 

Lovely sunny day again...off for a walk soon ... the coast beckons.... then it’s car cleaning, well OH will be doing that. 

Xx

I hope tomorrow ‘s appointment goes well Kip. I’m not feeling great at the moment either with worry. I was supposed to get results within 10 days but Easter seems to have messed that up because it is now 10 days and I haven’t heard. Of course no post today so still waiting, it’s so frustrating. Fingers crossed we both get good results tomorrow. Did you read my message about wheat causing aches and pains? Might be worth a go cutting it out for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. I know its odd but it has worked for A couple of ladies I had chemo with. 

The garden work has been tiring but got loads done. I’m loving this weather, apart from it makes me think of last summer when I was having chemo!! There is no escape. Hopefully get results tomorrow andnit I don’t I’m going to phone up. Enjoy Easter Monday all xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Paulus... Thanks for reply.   My mum does suffer with arthritic hands and has a stiff neck but she's 75 and I'm stiffer than her.. So unfair.  Pretty sure it's the Tamoxifen that's done it for me but it still scares the daylights out of me.  I did some light weeding yesterday and ached like crazy..  Even looking down at a book makes my neck seize.  

All the very best for tomorrow Kip.  Everything crossed - sorry for your aches and pains worries too - after my years of watering can duty up and down our garden, Himself finally got an outside tap fitted so I have a hose to water the garden? Even that job left me with an aching  back yesterday, which is just nuts !!  My sister has recently had hip replacement (she's 70) and is struggling with just being able to get across the room, let alone out of the house!!  Who do we complain to about this getting older, 'wear and tear' !!! Is there any back/arthritis type stuff in the family Kip, because my dad seemed to always be aching (manual labourer though) and I am wondering if some of it is just genetic.  Again, will be thinking of you tomorrow.x

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Morning ladies,  thanks for the code Feenix.  I've woken up today feeling the worry demons really badly... Haven't felt this way since last year... I know its ahead of tomorrow's appt.. So worried.  Doesn't help I have had a stiff neck n shoulder for a few days and of course am thinking  the worst.  These aches n pains really get me down sometimes... Jyst The constant reminder of it all..

Sorryfor the whinge.

KIP

Amoena  has 15% off until mn  23rd April, tomorrow. Use code EASTER15 on full price items. There are some bras on offer too, in certain colours.

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Happy Easter to you too.. 🐰

Happy Easter 🌞

Hi Feenix

Thanks for your information, makes a lot of sense. I appreciate you sharing your story and glad you got sorted in the end and managed to avoid chemo. Enjoy the rest of this lovely weekend xx

Hope everyone is enjoying this great weather. Finally got some gardening done and have had days out and about. Hope you’re not too tired doing your garden project Michelle.

Planning to have a bit of a lie in tomorrow for a change although Ill probably be up at the usual time.

xx

Hi DiKat.... I’ve not had chemo but did start off having WLE after diagnosis last March. At that time I had a mammogram which was reported as normal, the same as my routine one the year before .... so ... nothing showed up, all was occult. The USS showed up something at my initial appointment where the small lump was and the MRI I had did too, although I’d had my biopsy results before then and knew my diagnosis. After my WLE I had a further excision as histology picked up widespread DCIS (intermediate). Although MDT was happy for me to have rads I was given the choice of further excision by my surgeon.as the dcis was occult and unexpected. Only one of my margins was less than optimal for dcis...ok for the IDC. After much research by myself and OH I decided to have the excision but  more dcis was found and no clear margins this time. I knew that I would need a mastectomy if more dcis was found. Post mastectomy did show more dcis on histology.  I chose not to have recon. I don’t regret my decisions and I would say, after much reading/research beforehand and knowing the results after my decisions, I am relieved I had a mastectomy as opposed to WLE/rads. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

We are all different, unique, and we make our decisions according to the information we have at any given time ..... and our gut feelings.

I’ve had my first year mammogram. I have asked about uss as I had occult initial mammograms but I will be having mammogram yearly. Anything else will be done if symptomatic. The routine screening programme does say that we need to be body aware as mammograms don’t pick up all cancers and it’s the same for post op screening .... know what is your new normal after WLE and the same for scars post mastectomy ...plus your ‘good’ / remaining breast.  I’m well past the menopause so don’t expect to have dense breast tissue although I’ve not asked.

There has been debate about the screening programme over the years, different trains of thought. Perhaps in the future screening will be more individual with a personal plan given according to the first mammogram result, age, family history etc.

I do hope you get your answers at your next appointment and it helps with your decision making. It’s certainly a stressful time.

Xx

Thanks Clare, that form looks very helpful, I will use it when I get my results. X

If it’s any consolation my eyelashes have grown back longer and eyebrows are now in urgent need of threading! My hair has grown back curly and I’ve had more compliments since finishing chemo than I’ve ever had in my life because everyone says my hair looks good short! 

It took around four months before I felt I didn’t look like someone who’d been having treatment.

Kip I’m astounded by your radiologist’s lack of knowledge!  Dense tissue is referenced in the guidelines on imaging from NICE and Publid Health England so it’s just not true to say it’s something that is only some in  the US.  I could get Cheryl Cruwys from Breast Density Matters to send the hospital some information with the links to the latest scientific research into increased risks of BC in those with dense tissue and best ways of imaging if your happy to to share your recent experience.  

Clare x

Thanks for your reply Kip. It really does seem this density thing is an issue. I’m pleased I asked you all, can now add another question to my list for the consultant. Your hair looks fab, btw. I can remember seeing you on one of the earlier forums when you had fuzz like I’ve got now. My eyebrows and lashes have just about gone with this last T. I’m finding that harder than the head hair loss. It’s that C patient look! Thanks again, have a lovely weekend xx

Hoping this might be helpful to some of you. Xx

34C08434-F58F-4F53-9F54-A8A64E45AF95.jpeg

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Ditkat,  I had a 22mm idc with areas of calcification around it in right breast,  when I had the initial mammogram I was told tissue was dense so needed an ultrasound  (I could clearly feel a lump anyway).  I couldn't have a lumpectomy as the speckles of cells made it impossible as I have only got A cups.  I had already decided I wanted to lose the breast, just a personal choice, and elected for no recon, again personal choice.  At ultrasound I was told lymph glands clear but after mx told sentinel and 1 other contained small amounts.  I've since had ANC and remaining nodes clear.  I had my 1st yearly mammo last week and, armed with good advice from Cdc and others, asked about my density... To be looked at like a horse with 2 heads and the lady said "never been asked that before, why do u want to know" . She had to ask her "boss" and then told me they aren't able to tell me that as they don't have the equipment... Its only something done in USA". I didn't argue with her as I have an onc appt Tues and am going armed with questions then.  She did mention that Tamoxifen will make my remaining breast less sense.

It's so hard dealing with all this without having to fight battles along the way isn't it.  I only get a mammo on remaining boob.. No scan on the flattie

Kip

Cdc1811

Thanks for sharing your story and the information you have given. I find it really odd that women are not told at the time of routine mammograms that it’s not reliable as tissue is too dense. You receive your letter in the post stating “there’s no evidence of breast cancer at this time” or something similar and go on your merry way. Something definitely needs to change. If in my case, if there was something on the mammogram that wasn’t seen, what was the point in bringing the screening down to age 47. I don’t know if it’s just down to the population of ladies that use these forums but more women seem to be getting bc in their 40’s. Lowering the age of mammograms isn’t going to be sufficient as many will not have gone through the menopause so breasts will be dense. Thanks again and best wishes xx

Hi everyone

I can only speak for myself and I know many of you will know my story already,  but for those that don’t, I had bilateral breast cancer, both Grade 2 IDC tumours which were 2.5 cm in total on the left and over 5.2cm on the right.  I only had micromets in the sentinel node on the right and this is not classed as lymph node involvement.   My original hospital told me nothing was visible on the mammogram and follow up ultrasound I’d had 9 months before I found an area of thickening in my breast tissue.  I now know I have category C/D (very/extremely) dense breast tissue and the hospital told me I am amomgst the ‘unlicky 10% whose are mammogrpahically occult.’  (Their words exactly)  They also told me that the grading of tumours isn’t always the only indicator for growth rate and maybe the tumours had grown in the nine months between screening .  They also said maybe the tumours had been there for much longer but were masked on mammogram by the dense tissue.   I am waiting to see if the Parliamentary Ombudsman will accept my request to have all imaging reviewed by and independent panel but even they may not be able to tell me how long the tumours took to grow.   I was told that even though the surgeon removed the tumour completely on the left during my breast preserving surgery, it might be better to have the left breast removed as they didn’t know how they would screen me in the future.  I had to have the right one removed because more cancer cells were discovered below he nipple despite a re-excision. Ultimately, I felt happier having both breasts removed.  I had my op at a different hospital and when the pathology results came back it showed I’d still had cancer cells in both breasts despite my previous surgeries and six months of chemo so I’m very relieved I opted for a double mastectomy.  As I no longer have any breast tissue the view is there is no need to scan either by mammogram, ultrasound or MRI  but I am planning on continuing with yearly private ultrasounds (I have a five percent chance of breast cancer returning in the skin as I had skin sparing mastectomies) for peace of mind.  

If I’d had a lumpectomy I would absolutely insist on yearly ultrasounds at least as part of my follow ups.

Thanks for your replies Michelle21 and Linda Corinne

I think things will be clearer for me once I have seen the breast surgeon next week. I will ask for  ultrasound scans alongside mammograms if I go for lumpectomy as feel I would need that reassurance. The Macmillan nurse told me that the chemo forced menopause results from a reduction in Oestrogen which in turn results in less dense breasts. I just need to stop my mind from running away with itself but guess that’s going to be an ongoing issue. Thanks again and all the best to both of you xx

Won't you have an ultrasound every year now or every 3 years after 5 years and you can check yourself weekly too like I do now. I think ultrasounds need doing yearly now for me but am in discussions with my surgeon who I went to for a second opinion re this as I can't believe that in 21 months I had a 2 inch area of tumours and calcification that didn't show up in June 2016. I had a therepeutic mammoplasty but initially was being considered for an immediiate DIEP. So glad I got a second opinion. I am now in the process of having a mastopexy on the other boob or a lift which I am hoping to have on 20th May. My margin was only 0.5 mm but my surgeon was happy. I had rads with a boost and I do worry but don't burn your bridges is what my surgeon said to me! Anyway good luck whatever you decide. x

Hi DiKat

Good to hear from you! I can only speak from my own experience, I was diagnosed Mar 18 with Her2 pos and grade 3, 2 tumours 2.8 and 1.8 approx with at least one lymph node infected. Like you I had chemo before surgery. I had 3xfec 3xdoctaxol with perjeta and herceptin. I had a mammogram at the end of chemo and the surgeon said it looked so good that he decided to do a lumpectomy  which had to be wire guided using my initial mammogram to locate and ANC. The post surgery results showed I had a complete response to chemo. I am happy with having a lumpectomy but do understand the point you are making re dense tissue and mammograms. I am 48 and just hoping my tissue gets less dense as I get older, I have been told it’s not especially dense now. Also they have my original mammogram to compare with and my post chemo one to see if there are any changes. Other than this I am also keeping my fingers crossed tightly! All the best to you in making your decision xx

Hi ladies 

Sorry to gatecrash your group. I am from the Dec 2018 chemo thread and was wondering if I could draw on your experience with you being a year ahead before I attend my breast surgeon appointment next week. I finished my chemo 10th April. I had 6 cycles 3 Fec, 3Thp. It has been challenging to say the least and I’ve suffered lots of side effects but I’ve got there, largely thanks to the support on these forums. From diagnosis in November, the team said the plan was  chemo, surgery - lumpectomy and whatever was required for lymph nodes followed by radiotherapy. My knee jerk reaction at the time was to say I would probably want a double Mx and the surgeon said we could discuss that after chemo. I am 49 and diagnosis was 26mm lump in left breast, grade 3 IDC, Her2 pos with multiple lymph nodes involved. I had an MRI after chemo 5 and report states good response to treatment, carcinoma reduced to 8mm and lymphadenopathy has resolved with benign appearing lymph nodes visible. It also mentions benign changes in my right breast. So after receiving this positive news and seeing the Oncologist, I was wavering back to the idea of a lumpectomy and whatever lymph node surgery is necessary. I asked his opinion and he stated he would choose this option. Now many of you ladies are a year on, I was wondering how you felt about the choices you have made. I think one of my issues is the reliability of future mammograms if I opt for WLE. When I  found this lump initially, the mammogram showed no changes to the mammogram I’d had the previous year (my gp practice starts at 47) it was only discovered on ultrasound. Had I really been clear the previous year, does it only take 1 year to develop to stage 3 and spread to lymph nodes or was it missed due to dense tissue?? I will ask these questions to BC Surgeon but guessing she won’t have the definitive answer. I know this has to be my decision ultimately but would be interested to hear any of your thoughts. Hope you are all doing well ladies, I know the anxieties can be difficult to deal with. Apologies for the novel! Sending much love 💕 

I’m pleased you have good results from your mammogram Paulus. 

Kip I thought you might be interested in a conversation I’ve recently had with the lot I had chemo with in April last year. There were 5 of us who kept in contact and 3 of them say since chemo they have developed a wheat allergy that causes them aches and pains. One of them hadnt realised but went on a diet and cut out bread and when she went back to it the achey joints came back. Thought I’d let you know might be worth giving it a go? X 

Jean i hope you b’day cards get to their recipients ok! Easily done! 

I haven’t heard from the hospital so unless it turns up on Saturday it looks like I’ll hear next week. My 10 days is up on 22nd and I will be hassling them if I don’t hear!

I hope everyone has lots of lovely things planned for this Easter weekend which actually looks like it’s going to be a sunny one!  We have a garden project to do, converting an area into a meadow and vegetable garden, it’s going to be a tiring weekend! X

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Paulus that is fantastic news about the mammo... Sigh of relief hey.   I'm wondering whether I should push for a bone scan coz of my aches and pains... I'm. A bit scared to be honest but it would put my mind at rest I guess.  I'll defimately be mentioning my aches next week.

Kio

Those cakes look good Kip .... and I do like crunchy nut cornflakes Michelle. Hope your letters arrive ASAP. 

Good  mammo result Paulus ... pleased you got to your appt in spite of the protestors. Age is just a number and I have the same one as you 😊 Reprieves are good, seize the day and enjoy. 

Posted a birthday card yesterday...posting another today and just realised I’ve put the wrong stamp on yesterday’s card.... a 1p one instead of 1st class.. oops.

xx

Hello ladies!  Set off ultra-early this morning, just in case the climate-change protesters decided to glue themselves to the underground somehow . . . . so, my mammo is okay, the consultant tells me.  Nothing to report, and he gave me a physical check too.  He is fine with referring me for a bone scan, in view of my recent lower back problems, and sees it the same as the chiropractor ' in view of medical history, and no recent accident/incident ' it's a sensible move.

So today I breathe out - funnily enough though, I can't quite shake off the doubt-monster, and all I can say is that any reprieve makes me want to squeeze the most out of life and living that I can?  The arrival of BC into my life last year was such a bolt from the blue, I think it does take awhile to get used to living with. . . . . .don't mean to sound negative, but as I am much older than most of you ladies (64) , and it had never intruded into our family before me . . . . .  

The consultant/surgeon who today saw his handiwork for the first time since last May was a happy bunny  -  I have to say that he did a remarkable job, and having had 20 R/T zaps too, my right boob is a tribute to the NHS, hahaha.  So much so, that they asked if I'd sign the consent form for photos ( no ladies, I can not be identified!! no head shots !! ) - so that it can be of some help to others coming along this path?  So full frontal and side views !!! I tell you, I have never had so much appreciation of my little boobs since the whole team crowded round my bed last year after the op, to gaze admiringly at their craft. 

Hugs aplenty. 

Yes I’m the same when the postman arrives, I want the letter ASAP but only if it’s good news! 

I’m  a bit all or nothing when it comes to choc/treats so I’m trying to wean myself off, so far today has gone well but it is only 12pm! X

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, yes I know it was a lovely treat for my daughter and I.  Back to the diet today,  carrot and coriander soup on the hob at present.. I miss the sweet treats too, but try to allow myself something every now and then otherwise I would crack up!

Still now news on the mammo results...I know its early days and with Easter in the middle won't be for a while..even so every time that letter box jangles...eeeeeek..

Kip

x

Oh Kip that looks delicious! You can’t go out for afternoon tea and not indulge! Is is back to the diet today? I’m still trying but I did have two bowls of crunchy nut cornflakes last night after dinner! It’s the sweet treat I am craving! X

oooh yum !!  Cakes are my passion, never have a problem polishing off a multipack of cakes !  How lovely x

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

IMG_20190416_133717.jpg

That's just the cake layer of my afternoon tea... 5 cakes EACH and scones and sandwiches... 

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Paul's  you put it so well... I'd forgotten all about that folder .. I've stowed it away as it brings back bad memories.  Be thinking of u tomorrow . Let us know what's what.

Michelle I love choc buttons...if u stand up and eat them then there's no calories... My reasoning anyway.  My diet was going OK til today .. I've been out for afternoon tea... Bloomin delicious but so stuffed 

Thanks for your kind words Jean. That is a good way of looking at things Year one getting on with treatment and then trying to get emotionally balanced. I guess it makes sense to expect lows as well as highs but the doesn’t make it easier does it?

Its good to know I am not alone with my feelings and that you are feeling the same Kip, although obviously I’m not wishing it on you! 

Good luck with your results tomorrow Paulus, let us know how you get on. 

I’ve been to the 2nd session of Moving Forward today. It was on Lymphodema and complementary therapies. It was interesting but mostly because it was good to hear others stories.

My diet started yesterday (again) only for my daughter to return home with a present for me, a large packet of giant choc buttons! I shared them with my OH do they still count?! I have stopped buying the large bar of dairy milk that I was in a habit of buying, I realised it was 1000 calls!!! That is a lot of running to burn off! I am determined, it might take a while but the weight has got to go!! X

Good morning lovely ladies - well results appointment for me tomorrow ( the new system sends a text now, I have the proof, hahaha, that I exist in the system! ) . . . . it is a strange time - maybe it's the reminder of how our world suddenly got turned upside down, and that the Tuesday that followed Monday was going to be pretty much like any other? And suddenly we were thrown into thinking completely differently, and the outside world looked kind of different, and we walked into a hospital in one frame of mind - probably half-convinced we would not be that statistic that got the cancer result - and came out reeling. . . . those memories stick - I went alone, because that is how I work, and it was a long morning of mammos and a biopsy, and seeming to be the first arrival and last to leave that busy clinic - all the time thinking that actually I shouldn't be here, this was surely a waste of everyone's time, and maybe I should just go - I burst into tears out of the blue when the consultant told me, I think even he was a bit shocked by the calm-to-sobs person in front of him - and then off I finally went with My Folder, and went and sat in Starbucks in a daze. . . . . By the time I got home, I had absorbed it a bit, and I didn't tell ANYONE for quite a few weeks - again, because I needed to deal with it  -  anyway, those memories stick don't they because they are tied up with a HUGE SHOCK.  But we're all still here and today the sun shines in London, and because of my back troubles I haven't been walking so much, and the bathroom scales have just said STOP EATING HOT X BUNS haha . . . .take care lovelies xxx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Well Michelle,  I can honestly say I'm feeling the same as you.  Suddenly positivity is out the window.  The worry gremlin is n my shoulder again... Found myself googling yesterday.. Never good.  Its a depressing thought sometimes that this is us for the next few years hey.   I ache a lot too at the moment and that's setting my mind worrying.  Waiting for results is just 💩