Re: Surgery May 2018

Michelle .. quarter of a way through is great ... your game to relieve the boredom is good memory training 🤔 

Kip ... hope you have a good night... 

Clare ... keep eating the biscuits.. be prepared 😊  It’s not helpful when the Marsden surgeon was giving conflicting info but if he would want his female relative to have bilateral mx that’s very telling. Goodness knows which country he was thinking of but he should have been giving you advice based on treatment guidelines based in the uk, your circumstances now and your family history..surely?. Ultimately it’s your decision. You have time to deliberate on your surgical treatment and get some insight from your original surgeon. Your numb toes sound quite debilitating. How’s your cousin and brother ... have they had their results? It’s good that your sisters are going to be seen at the high risk clinics and be checked out. Hope your sisters mri will be ok. You’ve got such a lot going on, to think about. 

Hope you had a good dinner and a biscuit or 5.

After a marathon fence painting afternoon yesterday, and feeling extremely tired last night I felt really good this morning... thought I would be hobbling. I’ve got a foob fitting tomorrow. I was hoping to be like a spelk by now.. obviously not after the amount of biscuits I’ve had. I need salad. My bcn emailed me yesterday...she’s been off sick for 5weeks so that’s why I’ve not heard back from her. 

J xx

I’m so happy this thread is back!! So great to hear your news that all went smoothly with your Kip! Very impressed you were in the theatre at 9 and got back home by 2.30! Sending gentle hugs! Hope you have a good sleep tonight. Xxx

I’m doing ok today after my strange appointment at the Marsden yesterday left me feeling out of sorts, I’ll be seeing the surgeon who did my original TM at Barts next week to see what her take is- the consultant at at the Marsden kept repeating that in another country I wouldn’t be having a mastectomy as they’re not so worried about margins. My treatment would be considered ‘done’. However, when my OH asked him what he’d recommend if he was seeing a female relative in my position he replied ‘A bilateral mastectomy’. So confused! His manner was so unsympathetic. Not sure what to do now as I have such differing opinions. Oh well at least my surgeon at Barts had a wonderful manner. Also my former BCN was covering in clinic today and sent me a message saying how good the vascular surgeons are at the Royal London where I’d have my reconstruction if I stay with my current hospital. Oh well- I’ve got an oncology appointment on Thursday and the consultant at Marsden said there’s no hurry to do more surgery so maybe I should just focus on getting through chemo. Still have real problems with lack of feeling in my toes on the right. I can usually ignore it but from time to time today I found it very odd walking on feet that feel like they’re frozen!
1/4 of the way through with rads Michelle - it does sound monotonous butreat you’ve thought of a game to while away the time!,
Jean interesting to read you haven’t been given a stage. I have mine printed at the top of all the copies of my letters but not sure how relevant it is. No one has given me a predicted survival rate due to having two tumours but I also did the Nottingham test - not that great but Predict seems to show a much better prognosis thank goodness! I also need to think about diet but consultant yesterday didn't feel I’d be a suitable candidate for implants but I don’t have enough of a tummy if I want two reconstructed breasts! I think my belly is huge so not sure what size he’s expecting me to be afterwards!! Oh well did make me think I’d better eat some more biscuits then!!
I’m feeling much better in myself having a bit of a break from the chemo and my hair is definitely growing back but I do just want to get on with it now so I can get on with the next part of treatment - if I need any??? I’m also 8/8 so whatever happens will need hormone therapy. Interestingly my younger sister saw a Breast surgeon today to discuss her latest mammogram, It looks ok but she was told she needs an MRI scan due to dense tissue. He has also referred her urgently to the very high familial risk BC clinic near her im Surrey and told her our older sister needs to do the same in her area. Hearing this makes me think I want to go for more radical surgery. Oh well seems to be a different approach depending on who you see.

Well take care everyone. I’m going to put my poor feet up for the rest of the evening. Just got to persuade my OH to get me some dinner-or some biscuits!!
C xxx

Back home already Kip, that’s great! Pleased all went well. Hopefully you won’t have the drain in for too long.
Rads going ok Thanks Jean. I’m playing a little game with myself, counting the number of radiologists that see me topless, I’m up to 10 so far! It’s going to get harder each day as I try to remember if I’ve seen them before.
Yes I think that sums up how monotonous rads is, still almost 1/4 way through!
Hope everything is good with you x

Great news Kip. It makes such a difference being first on list. Hope you are comfy and drain not too much of a nuisance. Positive vibes coming your way xx

Michelle .. hope rads going ok.

Kip

We are back....  Yippee.

Well I'm home and already had cake!  Op went well and was first on list...  In theatre at 9 and baxk jn recovery at 10.30. And home by 2.30 so very happy.  Surgeon was nice he did level 2 clearance and said it shouldnt make too much difference to next treatment as chemo should have done its stuff so will trh to think positively.

Thanks for all your kind wishes it makes all the difference.  

Kip

Xx

Hooray! We are back! I wrote such a long post yesterday and lost it!
Hope today goes well Kip, let us know x

Kip ... your OH is right, at least we have found our nastie and it’s being dealt with giving us many many years at the biscuit tin 😀 

Hope you haven’t long to wait before getting down to theatre. 

Clare ... how are you today?

Michelle... hope rads are going ok 

Sally ... hope you’re enjoying your break

Xx

Highlighted
Kip

[ Edited ]

Feenix,  yes you are right I think ,sometimes too much information can blow your mind, I've not asked or been given any prediction as to outcome, not sure I can handle that either.   But actually you reminded me that at my last appointment with my surgeon when we discussed me not having rads to my armpit area (they are only doing breast wall and collar bone, she said that way I can keep Rads to the axillary area as a back up for the future if needed, so you are right, you have some weapons in your artillery should you ever need them, fingers crossed we never need them but they are there.  As my OH tried to tell me this monring, we should, in a way, be grateful that we are the ones being monitored for any other nasties, the rest of the people out there could be carrying something they haven't found yet... I guess he's right.. still scary though.

I am 8/8 oestrogen positive too, so should avoid that biscuit tin...but its soo hard isn't it.  Just found a bag of haribos....now eating those.. oh dear!  Oh well can't eat after midnight to night.. so better stock up now.

Kip

xx

Morning Kip

Been thinking how you were doing as op tomorrow. Just caught up with your chemo thread and you’ve had good info from your bcn which seems logical and very reassuring. Definitely miraculous that you got her straight away. Stress and the what ifs, wondering, definitely affect sleep. Just part of trying to cope with everything and a reminder of your first op and waiting for results.

I was never given a stage, only grade, and only looked in the bcc booklet to see what I would be but I’ve not looked into that since. I’ve never had percentages re survival either, and I’ve never asked although I did do the old predict in the beginning as wasn’t impressed with my Nottingham score on my first histology report.... that’s old hat these days so I discounted it. I think that in depth information isn’t helpful in some instances as it can have a negative affect. Statistics etc are more for the MDT who have to decide what is the best treatment/s to give. I sometimes wonder at ‘just’ having surgery. I did have a micromet of miniscule proportions but that’s classed as negative but it does creep into my mind that my axilla didn’t even warrant a quick zap. I comfort myself with the thought if anything crops up in that area I can have surgery and rads ... and that the other 3 nodes and intermammary gland were negative (2 extra looked at after mx). If anything has gone walkabout just hope letrozole does a good job. I have to laugh at what I find a comfort these days. As I’m 8/8 oestrogen positive I need to reduce my body fat ... the biscuits really should go but have had a couple already but should burn the calories off as I’m fence painting this morning. 

Ill be thinking of you ... hopefully they won’t have you hanging around too long pre op tomorrow.

Clare ... hope you’ve got your feet up. How’s the fatigue?

Michelle ... have you had a break from rads over the weekend? 

Xx

Kip

Morning Feenix, Michelle and the gang...

Hope you all had a good weekend?   I have been getting very stressed about the surgery tomorrow but have just had a nice chat with the BCN who has answered some questions for me and put my mind at rest on some issues, so trying to calm myself down.   Didn't sleep well last night and guessing I'll have little tonight, have to be at hospital for 7.30 so a very early start too.  Just want to get it done and home again.  Unfortuantely she did say I'll have a drain again... thought I had seen the last of those blighters, but hey ho, it wasn't too bad I guess just a pain having to carry that lovely floral bag around with me.. so here we go again!

Might just have to have more biscuits to see me through!

Kip

xx

Chocolate biscuits and twirls sound good 😋 

Kip

Well done Michelle, another one crossed off.   Enjoy that Twirl...

Today was much quicker, in and out in 20mins! Even time under the machine was quicker, which was a relief as yesterday my arm seemed to be up for ages it was really quite uncomfortable.
So back home now, not sure what to do with myself. Think I’ll have a cup of tea and a Twirl or two whilst deciding, have to confess to buying a pack of 4 on my way home.
Well if I can’t eat treats now then when can I? X
Kip

Hi Feenix, not sure how the menopause will pan out, can't work out if the hot flushes are chemo induced or hormones or both.. its a guessing game alright.

I am just about to hit the biscuit tin... those digestives keep calling to me.  Also have a large bar of chocolate which is just begging to be eaten.. oh when will I be able to stop.. you are right carrots and cucumber...blurghghg!

Love that you name the parts giving you gyp... how long do those se’s last or is that a daft question, like asking how long is a piece of string.

Kip  ... sounds right saying  your lad is coping his own way with his own support mechanisms kicking in...pleased you’re ‘sorted’. You’d certainly shock his mates with your drain.

It sounds like menopausal symptoms are a big negative. Will they be worse because the menopause is induced? I didn’t have a bad time with the menopause, in fact I had more problems when I was thyrotoxic. 

Back is ok just now and then I have a twinge... probably got osteoarthritis... aging 😂 

Clare ... hope you’re getting your feet up after your hectic week re daughters birthday celebrations. Sometimes a slice of fresh toast hits the spot. I’ve just eaten the last two 🍪 🍪 biscuits. I’m now trying to think of something else to eat instead...carrots and cucumber don’t have the same appeal however I must do something about my spare tyre !!!

Hope P goes ok today ... another crossed off ... 3rd of the way through

Michelle ... 2 down after today...and counting. 

Xx

Kip

So Numble and TIngle it is!   Tingle doesn't get cold but the flippin pins and needles are annoying.  Im still aching a lot too, hoping that goes off soon otherwise I will be doubly stiff after the op on Tuesday.  I think you are right that my son just tries to do normal things to keep the BC stuff out of his head, he is very apologetic about upsetting me yesterday and for losing his ticket!   I did give myself a stiff talking to and thought about how it must be for them to go through this too, they do need their friends and we have sorted everything out now.   At the end of the day, it doesn't matter too much in the scheme of things... if his friends annoy me I will show them my drain... that  will shock them!

Kip

xx

Aww! Just catching up on all the posts. Michelle this forum really has been a godsend and I love you all too and value your openness and the way we can share our experiences and offer each other support. Just can’t get that with people who aren’t going through it, Glad rad1 is done and dusted and I hope you’ve enjoyed your choir rehearsal.

Hope your back is feeling better Jean. Great you’ve got your confirmation for the moving on course, I think I’ll do something similar once the treatment is over. It’s been such a huge part of my life and my days revolve around appointments or dealing with side effects. I imagine there will be a period of readjustment. Also I wonder if the course covers worrying about recurrence or secondaries? I think it’s inevitable that those thoughts will play on our minds from time to time,

I’m having real issues with menopausal symptoms I didn’t realise but stress can also exacerbate these and the BCC helpline suggested relaxation techniques may help. Also, I feel like I’ve run a marathon over the past week - trying to get through all my daughter's birthday celebrations whilst feeling shattered. I felt bad that by the time it got to her actual birthday I was completely done in and, to be frank, glad once it was all over!

Kip so sorry you’ve had such a low day. Sending huge hugs. Hope you are not feeling so achy now. I can totally understand why you had a row with your son, what was he thinking inviting his friends round on the day of you op??? Having said that I was 20 when my Mum first had BC and I think I was in total denial so just carried on as though nothing was happening, Do you think it might be his way of coping? I’d be furious about the lost bus pass too. All that wasted money!
I get anxious when The Stand Up to Cancer ads come on especially if my daughter is around, I understand it’s all about raising money but I feel like it’s a constant reminder that I have BC and draws her attention to that too.

I love the name ‘Numble’ for my toe! It’s bizarre but whilst My head feels like it’s stuck in a desert when I’m having a hot flush, my toes feel like they’ve been traipsing in thick snow! ☀️ ❄️

Hi Helena. Wonderful to hear you’ve celebrated your two year post op anniversary. Wishing you all the best for your hysterectomy.Keep us posted with how you’re getting on.

Just reading about all the treats we seem to be craving. I remember my original BCN telling me at the start of my diagnosis ‘Now is not the time to stop yourself eating that cake’ when I told her I was comfort eating, I like the idea of starting up a fat friends slimming forum in the New Year Michelle! Till then I think we should allow ourselves to eat what ever we want ...and with that I’m off to make some toast with lashings of butter even tho it’s10 o clock at night!

Take care everyone xxx

Kip ... 😂 .. biscuits rule ok 👍 

Michelle ... my tiredness only lasts an hour or two ... tbh it’s probably exacerbated by age 😂 You're  right about stress; and the affects of that may last longer than we think ... probably creeps up when we least expect it. I’ve had a bit of a twang in my back and of course one always has a moment of wondering about secondaries. Perhaps it’s been playing on my mind more than I think it has. I do try to knock such thoughts on the head...with a big hammer 🔨 

Ive got my confirmation about the Moving On course 👍 

So pleased you’ve got your first rad out of the way ...  fingers crossed it’s quicker tomorrow. Enjoy your choir 

xx

Thanks Jean, I’m sorry to hear you’re getting tired on the letrozole. I think the stress of it all tires us out too.
Rad 1 all done, 19 to go! Ala in all it was ok but was asked to get there 1/2 hour early for no reason and they were running late, I’d been there 2 hours before i went in! Hopefully it will be quicker tomorrow!
Have a good evening everyone, I’m off to choir! X
Kip

Thanks Feenix... They are all soothed somewhat by a digestive or 10