Re: Surgery May 2018

So glad you are progressing well Kip, keep it up!

May I ask if being emotional is common after surgery? As someone who very rarely cries, I feel I am a jibbering idiot every time I think about the bolshy surgeon who made my life hell ... Several times I woke in the night to see his face inches from mine as he continuously repeated (at least 7 times) the same statement that I was not the only patient in the hospital. My response was the same each time, that I appreciated that & realise that emergencies occur but I did expect what I was told would happen, would happen most of the time, but before I could say more he interrupted with another rant, all the time with his face right in front of me. I felt so threatened I just wanted to walk... He had told me 1. I would be first on the list so I could get home to my husband 2. That he & the MDT had decided the best course of treatment & implied I had the audacity to challenge that & 3. That his colleague would be operating. Now, at 08.45am the plan was to try to do me in the afternoon & that he would be operating. As he made me feel so threatened there was no way I could accept that I decided to decline the surgery. Bolshy said they would have a meeting & left. When he returned he said they could fit me in for morning surgery & as I had said I did not want him operating, his colleague would do it. “Yes, thanks for that!” he added. His colleague looked embarrassed, the nurse & my friend looked stunned. 

Everybody else had been so kind & supportive I could not & still can’t understand why he disliked me so much. All the way to theatre I kept thinking, what if he changes his mind again & decides to lead the surgery? 

It was a nightmare that keeps repeating in my head.

I did get home that evening but was last to leave the ward as I felt very shaky & vulnerable, but I don’t think that was the surgery, because it still keeps sweeping over me, I think it is caused my my crazy emotions.

My apologies for ranting to you lovely people, this is where I feel safest to express myself right now, so thank you so much for being here. I hope some of this makes sense!

Kip

Well done Bridget you did it!  Glad you're home too and not feeling too bad?  I had a better night's sleep, 7 solid hours so feeling better today.  Went on trip to Tesco today although I stayed in the car but was good to get out.  Found it really helps to walk around, I find my back gets stiff otherwise. Still got my drain but hopefully out tomorrow, but scared of that,but taking heart from the others who said it was ok.  Have a good rest ladies XX 

ktk

Glad to hear from you Bridget and so sorry about your bolshy surgeon. He sounds like a throwback from a past era and not what we expect nowadays. Anyway rest up and concentrate on your recovery. Gentle hugs Kx

Glad you are home Bridget. What an awful experience with the bolshy surgeon. Your opinion is of utmost importance and should always be taken into consideration! Not surprised you’re feeling furious. Good thing it was his colleague who did the actual op. Look after yourself and get plenty of rest. Thinking of you xx

I should have added that surgery was performed by bolshy doctor’s colleague, who explained everything & with whom I felt confident!

Am home thankfully! Feeling good about wounds, etc. feeling furious with bolshy surgeon who was annoyed with me for talking over the problems he gave me at my results appointment. Apparently, the op was all about how it affected him & I offended him by asking for help, I should have realised ‘he knows best’!
The support on this page had enlightened me that as it is my body, I am entitled to an opinion & so was able to assure myself that I was doing what was best for me.
I am probably rambling as I am a little wobbly ... but ... I have come through with only reasonable discomfort, so best foot forward tomorrow!
Kip

Thanks for the sleep tips... Watch this space!   My district nurse said I could remove the stockings today as I was up and about thank goodness that wasn't a good look! One boob, white stockings and a drain whatever next!!!!

Oh Kip I so empathise over the lack of sleep/waking early. I’ve always had trouble with insomnia and I hate sleeping on my back. Over the last couple of days I’ve been taking a muscle relaxant that has helped me and also raised the top of my mattress (shoving sofa cushions underneath). I’ve also been sleeping on a v shaped pillow. Other things that have helped in the past are listening to relaxation music on YouTube - (have had to try a few as some are just plain strange!) and drinking Celestial Sleepytime tea. Is it the worry keeping you awake more than being uncomfortable? I do so hope you find something that helps and banishes those worry gremlins. I know it’s really hard. Take care xxx ps oh meant to say I've been wearing my stockings for 6 days now following my surgery but I think I’ll give them a miss tomorrow as I’m much more mobile now.

Hi ktk thanks for the sensible advice.  Sorry you had a bad day after such a good week.  I think I’ve learnt my lesson and tried to pace myself better today.  I did end up feeling bored and did some light laundry and later took a short walk to collect my daughter from her after school choir.  I felt like that was enough of an achievement for the day!  I’ve started getting itchy. Not sure how I’m going to tolerate another week with these dressings.   Really want to take them all off and scratch!  Oh well - I’m having to exert Great self-control!! 

Kip

Hi, well day 1 going ok, can lift arm to shoulder height although quite numbat the back of shoulder.  Am wearing my softie prothesis today and looks pretty good.  KTk .I will get outside tomorrow hopefully getting drain out and can go for little walk.  Here's to a restful sleep for all tonight.

ktk

Hi Kip. I have been taking something to help me sleep, but I still wake very early. It is normal to remove several nodes, so don’t letworry about that. I kept the stockings on while I was mainly in bed, while the drains were in. Once they came out and I was able to dress and go out for a walk I took them off. So 3 or 4 days. If the weather is nice, sit outside and get some fresh air. DO NOT GOOGLE! Catch up with friends and family. I have found writing to people has kept me busy. It is a lost art. Look after yourself! Kxx
Kip

Hi everyone, well after being so tired last night wen5 to bed earlier and couldn’t sleep at all, no pain just wide awake and fed up laying on my back, finallly got up and read at 2am,!  Oh well can sleep today.  Does anyon3 know how long u keep these stockings on for as I forgot to ask ?  I think I lay awake worrying ove4 th3 results and wondering why they took 3 nodes instead of just snb one, even tho bcn said not to read anything into it as they were just close by.  Mustn’t panic and jump to conclusions I guess,  bloody worry gremlins

ktk

CDC never compare yourself to other people! This forum is great for mutual support and it is interesting to hear everyone’s progress but we are all different. I had a bad day yesterday after a brilliant week. Take it easy and look after yourself! Well done for getting checked out too. I am really bad at that and just struggle through. I am terrible at excepting I need help. Bloody cancer!!! Much love Kx

Bridget we are all rooting for you! Good luck for tomorrow. Xxx

Your post did make me smile Gill! Sometimes we just have to find the humour in our situations. Best of luck with the radiotherapy. Xx

Wow!  That is absolutely amazing Kip. So glad surgery went well and you got to go home.  I’ve also found the arm exercises very helpful.  I have a much bigger range of movements six days on from my surgery and I think it’s because I’ve been doing them religiously.  BUT do take it easy.  After resting up for the past few days I felt really good yesterday morning and I went out to do my usual volunteering and think I must have overdone it.  Felt really groggy by the afternoon and pretty grim this morning.  I ended up needing a check up at the hospital today because I was light headed and my pulse was racing at 134bpm! Thankfully it came down after resting.  I was also checked for a wound infection but all looks ok.  The nurse just put on extra dressing.  I think I was worried other people seemed to be making better progress in their recovery than me but as my nurse said everyone is different.  Each body has to heal itself in its own time.  

Look after yourself or even better get everyone else to look after you!  Sending gentle hugs and good wishes. Xx

ktk

And good luck to you Bridget. Think calming thoughts and take some angels in your pocket. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Big hugs Kx
ktk

Kip so pleased to hear from you. It is amazing how you are able to go home so soon. Take it easy now. Big gentle hugs. Kx
Highlighted

One other thing - blue boob. Still there and 5 weeks on my surgeon said with some it fades and disappears others it there for life. Have a feeling mine is the latter. But now have four black tattoo dots ready for rads to go with the blue so it’s dot to dot and finish at the blue dot 😂

Hi kip. Just jumped in from April surgery and being nosey as us ladies do. Glad surgery went well and yes I agree nothing as bad as was expecting. Excersise are really important so keep doing them. I am still doing mine 3/4 times a day and I am 5 weeks post op and waiting g to start rads in June so a few weeks of feeling normalish. By week 3 I could do as much with my left arm as I could my right however I didn’t have a mastectomy but lumpectomy and snb. All fully healed and clean albeit boob is still tender and healing still. Well done and just rest and do the excercise.