cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery December 2018

Re: Surgery December 2018

OMG Got moved to a side room and thought I'd get a delightful night's sleep. But then a disruptive patient got moved a couple doors down. The shouting! All night! Haven't got a wink. Knackered. Sod's Nod's law.

Great to hear reddi, so pleased it all went well. Take care and have a good nights sleep xx Melanie

My op went well -- moved to ward around 2pm and now that OH has headed home, I'm settling in to drink some tea, read a book, and rest up.

I hope you're recovering well, @crochet addict!

@essexgirly2 Waiting for results is hard, and harder still at this time of the year. I try to find little bits of joy in each day, and then suddenly the time has passed -- but it's not always easy. I have found talking to a therapist to be immensely helpful, too; and while talking to someone about this may not come naturally, it could be a great way to release your frustration about the wait for results. And it's a bit like posting here -- but in person. I hope today is a little bit easier.

@crochet addict Godspeed today!

Mrs G,. I am seeing nurse on 21st just to take the dressing off. I don't see surgeon until 28th to get my results. So merry Christmas to me .. not! So pleased you have had good news and are doing so well. I am trying hard not to get upset but sobbing is my default mode right now.. !

Crochet addict will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending you huge virtual hugs and love.
At least once it’s done every day you’ll feel a bit better and be mending. Take care, hope you get some sleep tonight and let us know when you can how you’re doing xx Melanie

Essex girly I’m so sorry you’re having a bad day hope the blow dry has helped lift your spirits. It’s my right arm that’s out of action and I’m right handed so really hadn’t realised I naturally hold my hairdryer in my left hand and brush in my right. My hair is no where near as well coiffed as normal but I had it cut so I could just blast it and fortunately it’s ok.
Can’t believe you have to wait until 21st, had my initial results today and all looks good. The tumours were scattered throughout the breast and total 3cm but it looks like they’ve got everything. Sentinel node was clear. Definitely no radiotherapy and 99% sure I won’t need chemotherapy either. Starting on Tamoxifen tomorrow. Consultant /surgeon is on holiday from tomorrow so she’d asked for the results to be rushed through. The MDT meeting is tomorrow so if they do decide I need chemo they’ll take me back off Tamoxifen but she doesn’t think it will be necessary.
Drains are still drawing a lot of fluid so think they will be in place for a while but I’m getting quite adept at changing them and recording the output ! All these new skills 😂😂😂. Had a huge hug from the surgeon today, she’s incredible, and so pleased with how my implant looks even though it’s much smaller. Not seeing her again until 9 Jan so it’s just me and the breast care nurse for the next few weeks.
Chin up, we are strong and we’ve got this xx

Hi Crochet addict

My WLE/SNB was day case and all I took was (on the advice of my bcn as a just incase) - nightie, clean nicks and a toothrush in case an emergency  overnight stay was needed.

Never used of course! - so I had my kindle and my phone. Didn't bother with dressing gown and slippers as most of the time in own clothes until gowned and soxed ready for op and as all ladies together didn't need a dressing gown for the odd trip to the loo and used shoes as slipper substitute.  A cardie might be useful just to slip on top if a bit chilly

Didn't spend much time in gown after op as was up and dressed and out the door  in a couple of hours

You may need a bra you can get on easily for afterwards - I couldn't wear a normal bra for a couple of months till the snb scar settled so lived in crop tops which I could pull up from floor if necessary

HTH  and best of luck

Big hugs brave girls x
Community Champion

essexgirl

I am sorry that you are having a bad day today, a lot of it can probably be put down to the aneasthetic which stays in your system for a while and can cause you to feel low and tearful.  You may find, in your own time, that counselling will help you to come to terms with what has happened, it can help to talk to someone who is not connected to you in any way so you do not have to worry about upsetting anyone.

Just wanted to send you a nice gentle hug

Helena xxx

Having a bad day today, lots and lots of tears.   Going to see nurse on 21st to have dressing off, I don't see surgeon for results till 28th(which is hard to bear) and appointment for prothesis on 25th January.   Got a blow dry booked at hairdresser this afternoon as I can't cope with the hairdryer.  Feeling very low, keep being told to have counselling but the last thing I can do is talk about it, or look at it.

Hi all,
Good to hear that you seem to feel better quite rapidly after surgery.
Had my preop on Monday so just need to get my Christmas shopping finished and wait for 31st for my op.
I feel a bit detached from it all at the moment.
Becks xx

Hi crochet addict, So good you don't have to wait another week, the waiting was the worst part for me I think.   I was in hospital for two nights and I found my pack of baby wipes most useful, also a 'Take a Break' magazine, cheesy, but the little puzzles were just enough to keep the fuzzy brain cells occupied!  

I had my drain removed today, by the district nurse! wow! ouch!!!

Now I am bathed, dressed,  got my softie in place and starting to feel more like my old self! 

Hi, Mrs G,  Hope all is well with you and you don't have to have the drains for much longer, mine was really hurting where it went in, such a relief to have it gone!

Crochet addict That’s great news, I’m so pleased for you. To be honest I took far too much in with me, all I really needed was my slippers, my phone charger and power pack and a few toiletries as I was in overnight. The one thing I wish I’d had was a boiled sweet to suck ! My throat was quite sore from being intubated.
Been back to see my breast care nurse and surgeon today and doing so well I’m really chuffed. I have very sensitive skin and had unfortunately developed four hefty blisters under the strapping. They’ve removed the strapping and cleaned the blisters so feeling grand now. Very used to my drains now and wouldn’t be without my heart shaped pillow under my arm ( especially when I’m asleep ). With no strapping on now and my only dressing covering my drain site I feel really free and so much easier to move. Seeing surgeon again tomorrow but I’m managing everything fine.
Will be thinking of you on Thursday. Take care xx Melanie

@crochet addict Congratulations on the new date!

@Reddi thoughts are with you with the op, hope everything goes well. xx

essexgirly2 & MrsG1962 hope you are both recovering well. xx

I have just had a phone call from the hospital they have a cancellation for this thursday, I am over the moon only tomorrow to get through as apposed to another week. I'm only in for the day and my hospital letter might not arrive, apart from taking the obvious slippers, dressing gown can anyone recommend anything else to take. xxx

@crochet addict What a drag! Will you get to meet your new surgeon this week? I hope so.

@Magsv You're welcome!

@MrsG1962 A second thank-you for the Cancer Research pointer -- I suspect I won't finish hand-stitching my eye mask by Wednesday (can't find the elastic I bought for the strap!), so bought a plush back-up. Worst case, I find the elastic and sew up a storm and my OH gets it in his stocking.

@essexgirly2 & MrsG1962 Hope you're both cosily resting and recuperating.

I'm really glad all December ops have gone well so far 👍.
Thank you as well for the the info 're websites reddi and Melanie.
I've just ordered pillows from Jen's friends. l don't have a paypal account but messaged them and was able to donate via bank transfer.
I've also ordered a few items from the cancer research shop. What a great find - can buy really useful things (and not just for hospital stays) 😍.

Essexgirly2
Glad to hear your op went well and you are home now. Wishing you a speedy recovery xxx

MrsG
Glad to hear all went well, wishing you a speedy recovery xxx