cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery December 2018

148 REPLIES

Re: Surgery December 2018

Hi Reddi

It's not cording, I've had physio for that and all is good with it now. I've phoned my bn and waiting for her to call back.

B xx

@Beckett Usually cording occurs along the arm, from what I understand, but that is something to be on the watch for, too. Your BCN or GP might be able to refer you to a physiotherapist, who would be able to assess you and suggest targeted exercises, if they might help. I know some of my June chemo folks found physio super useful for cording and other stuff that didn't seem to be resolving. 

Thanks ladies. Will start to do more exercises. Not sure about swimming as I've not had reconstruction yet. 

B xx

Hi Beckett,

I had my mastectomy in October and still experiencing pains if I stop exercising, started to experience some horrfic pains and discomfort when chemo started, I'd also rang the emergency nurse and BC nurse then realised that I felt much better when I'd been able to go swimming before chemo and had been my exercises. I think my arm was also starting to cord xx

@Beckett I found that I was getting shoulder aches, and I think it was from hunching forward a bit after surgery, without even realizing it. Hopefully, it's something like that for you, too. I found doing the post-surgery exercises more regularly and (gently) pushing myself to stretch more each day, as well as watching my posture, has helped quite a bit. 

Yay to no drains! That must be such a relief! I had my mastectomy New Years Eve and all good but I've started with a real ache in my right shoulder blade (right side mastectomy). 

Has anyone else had this? I'll admit I'm worried that it's the start of something nasty. 

B xx

Just wanted to pop on and say .... what a record MrsG1962 ...it must be bliss without it. Enjoy your 13days without appointments.

Reddi ...  👍 ☘️ and everything crossed for your radiotherapy .... hope it’s not as bad as you seem to expect because of your penchant for burning. I’ve not had rads just know that most places say to moisturise moisturise moisturise ... and keep hydrated.

J xx

@MrsG1962 Hurrah! I was thinking of you last night and came on the site specifically to see if you'd had your drains out. You must be beyond thrilled. And a record-setter, gah.

Sorry to be so slow in seeing your happy news -- I either didn't get a notification or missed it.

I'm on my way to day 3 of radiotherapy for my left breast. Only twinges of pain thus far, but given how easily I burn in the sun, I am expecting some burning. Just one more step on the journey...

After 61 days my drain is finally out !

Mags v sorry to do this as a reply but I really can’t get to grips with the new format and wanted to post in our December surgery group. Saw my consultant today and she finally removed my drain. It was still drawing too much fluid really but she was getting concerned I could get an infection, the exit site was quite angry and to be honest I was fed up with it being there. If I get a build up of fluid she’s going to aspirate it using ultrasound but hopefully won’t come to that.

The previous record at the hospital was 6 weeks but I’ve smashed that with my 8 weeks 5 days although it’s a record I’d rather not have ! 

Appointment tomorrow to get a prosthetic nipple for my reconcstruction /implant and then I have a 13 day break with no appointments - bliss.

Hope all you December ladies are doing ok xx Melanie 

Ah, of course! I just have an empty cavity! Ha. Thanks for your well wishes ❤. That is such a long time with drains! Really hope you can take it out soon! Xx

Hi Beckett, I think it’s my implant that concerns them if they have to aspirate as they can’t puncture it.

Thats good you don’t have to see him for 6 months and fabulous news about your hair.

My drain is still in, now been 6 weeks and 2 days and it was still 50ml this morning. It’s showering I miss most, my allergy to waterproof dressings rules that out. I’m sure when I finally get in that shower i’ll Be in there all day 😂😂😂. Great to hear from you, hope the radiotherapy passes uneventfully, take care, stay strong and keep that chin firmly up . You really are getting somewhere now and I for one am chuffed to bits for you xx Melanie 

Mrs G
I've had mine drained twice since my drains were removed 6 days after surgery and it was very quick and easy. A fine needle aspiration but no ultrasound needed. It was just done during my check up.
This Friday's check up I was told he wouldn't have to see me for 6 months.
Being referred back to the oncologist for radiotherapy now. Arm still stiff though so meeting the physio on Tuesday.
My hair is growing back quite quickly too!
Feel like I'm getting somewhere now
B xx

Reddi that’s not a bad idea. I’m sure I’ve now forgotten how to sleep on my side, shower and  dress in anything other than leggings 😂😂😂. 

I “suggested” today it should just come out but apparently that would involved having fluid drawn off by a needle guided by ultrasound everyday so I guess it there better option to keep it in.

As you might imagine the exit site is sore and angry so they came up with a new way of coiling it today and taping it down only it was taped so low I couldn’t even get my knickers up 😊 needless to say I’ve “adjusted” the tapes ! 

Im just resigned to it always being with me now and I am an expert at shifting stuff through it, clearing blockages, air bubbles etc. It’s like having a new hobby 😁 xx Melanie 

@MrsG1962 Your lingering drain is still in! Unbelievable. Maybe you should try naming it -- with the idea that getting 'attached' to it (emotionally/figuratively, in addition to physically/literally) will jinx it in some way, and suddenly the output will fall and you'll be rid of it. 🤞 for you. xoxo

@Magsv Great news! 🍾[edited to add 🎉🎉🎉🎉 as that 'popping cork' emoji is hard to make out when this small]

I'll be starting AI tabs in 4 weeks, once I'm officially in medically-induced menopause (I had my first Zoladex injection today, which should do the trick). It sounds like you've found them manageable -- nice to hear.

Mags v that’s fabulous news. We definitely mirror each other I saw my consultant today too. Scar nearly healed now so haven’t got to see her for 2 weeks but still have that drain in ! Still drawing 80ml per day and been in now for 40 days - has to be some kind of record.

Your Mastectomy was definitely the right way to go and the annual check ups will keep a close eye.

take care, stay strong and keep your chin up xx Melanie 

Got results today. All good. There was another 2mm high grade DCIS still in there. Small - but glad it's gone so mastectomy was small price to pay.
Back to annual check-ups for next 5 years. Starting July as still keeping a lookout for cancer recurrence in remaining affected invasive cancer breast.
Also still advised to keep going with letrozole tabs. Been taking them for 3 years now so may need to continue for another 5.
Small price to pay 👍🥂😍

@Pulapula That sounds like a very good plan. Are you on the Rosco trial? That is, will your next set of chemo be with a taxane, or will you be receiving more FEC? Either way, fingers crossed for no cancer in the nipple sample and few side effects! xo r.

Congratulations Beckett that’s great news!

I got my results on Wednesday. A bit complicated. They found some previously undetected pre-cancerous cells (DCIS) in the margins so I was back in yesterday for a cavity shave and to remove tissue from behind my nipple to test - nipple will need removing later if necessary as I wasn’t ready to lose it now. The tumour they removed was about 10cm (reduced from 30cm after FEC chemo) so I have to start chemo again next week or the week after and then rads. The other option was chemo now and mx after but as my recon is pretty good it seems a shame. My surgeon didn’t want to sway my decision but afterwards said it was what he would have recommended so that was reassuring. So although I’m probably cancer free (no node involvement, tumour out) they are being safe by removing the dcis and doing more chemo.
Highlighted

@Beckett Congratulations! What lovely news.