Re: Surgery December 2018

Hi crochet addict, So good you don't have to wait another week, the waiting was the worst part for me I think.   I was in hospital for two nights and I found my pack of baby wipes most useful, also a 'Take a Break' magazine, cheesy, but the little puzzles were just enough to keep the fuzzy brain cells occupied!  

I had my drain removed today, by the district nurse! wow! ouch!!!

Now I am bathed, dressed,  got my softie in place and starting to feel more like my old self! 

Hi, Mrs G,  Hope all is well with you and you don't have to have the drains for much longer, mine was really hurting where it went in, such a relief to have it gone!

Crochet addict That’s great news, I’m so pleased for you. To be honest I took far too much in with me, all I really needed was my slippers, my phone charger and power pack and a few toiletries as I was in overnight. The one thing I wish I’d had was a boiled sweet to suck ! My throat was quite sore from being intubated.
Been back to see my breast care nurse and surgeon today and doing so well I’m really chuffed. I have very sensitive skin and had unfortunately developed four hefty blisters under the strapping. They’ve removed the strapping and cleaned the blisters so feeling grand now. Very used to my drains now and wouldn’t be without my heart shaped pillow under my arm ( especially when I’m asleep ). With no strapping on now and my only dressing covering my drain site I feel really free and so much easier to move. Seeing surgeon again tomorrow but I’m managing everything fine.
Will be thinking of you on Thursday. Take care xx Melanie

[ Edited ]

@crochet addict Congratulations on the new date!

@Reddi thoughts are with you with the op, hope everything goes well. xx

essexgirly2 & MrsG1962 hope you are both recovering well. xx

I have just had a phone call from the hospital they have a cancellation for this thursday, I am over the moon only tomorrow to get through as apposed to another week. I'm only in for the day and my hospital letter might not arrive, apart from taking the obvious slippers, dressing gown can anyone recommend anything else to take. xxx

@crochet addict What a drag! Will you get to meet your new surgeon this week? I hope so.

@Magsv You're welcome!

@MrsG1962 A second thank-you for the Cancer Research pointer -- I suspect I won't finish hand-stitching my eye mask by Wednesday (can't find the elastic I bought for the strap!), so bought a plush back-up. Worst case, I find the elastic and sew up a storm and my OH gets it in his stocking.

@essexgirly2 & MrsG1962 Hope you're both cosily resting and recuperating.

I'm really glad all December ops have gone well so far 👍.
Thank you as well for the the info 're websites reddi and Melanie.
I've just ordered pillows from Jen's friends. l don't have a paypal account but messaged them and was able to donate via bank transfer.
I've also ordered a few items from the cancer research shop. What a great find - can buy really useful things (and not just for hospital stays) 😍.

Essexgirly2
Glad to hear your op went well and you are home now. Wishing you a speedy recovery xxx

MrsG
Glad to hear all went well, wishing you a speedy recovery xxx

Hi Reddi

I hope everything goes well for you, will be thinking of you xx

My consultant meeting went ok but my operation has been put back to the 19th now. I'm anxious as i am to have a new surgeon and the consultant couldn't pronounce his name ! I'm sure all will go well it's just having another week of anxiety and trying to keep positive thoughts in my head.

Essex Girlie fabulous to hear you’re home now relax and allow others to look after you for a while xx Melanie

@essexgirly2 Welcome home! I know you were worried about being discharged too soon, but you sound so much better now that you are home -- I am happy for you.

OH will adjust to the bed -- my OH and I had to do a similar swap midway through my chemo, and now I fear I won't ever get "my" side of the bed back!
Highlighted

Just a quickie before I drag myself to bed!  I think I'll have the drain for a few more days, still oozing and very sore where it goes in on my left side.  I think it is just the drain that is giving me grief.

Journey home was bumpy, husband did his best but the potholes round here! OMG!  We have changed sides of the bed so I can sleep on my good side and can get out to the loo easier ... I don't know how he will sleep on the 'wrong' side! lol..

Best wishes to all... X

Essex girlie I had the same problem with blood pressure, mines always low so ironically when they thought it was normal it was actually high for me but they didn’t seem to understand that.
Hope they get on top of your pain. It’s the drains I find uncomfortable they are just by my navel so catch every time I stand, sit or lie down. Have now sussed out how to lie on my good side in bed which helps. Also using an old fashioned wooden towel rail next to my bed for the drain bag. Loop the bag round the top a few times and I’m able to pull it really close so I can have more drain in the bed.
Only forgotten the drains twice but me and the drains survived 😂😂😂. Struggled going to the loo too until I moved the bag to hang round my neck so the drains are in front and dangle between my knees ( too much info I know but god it made a difference ).
My consultant is amazing she hugged me, hugged my husband and my brother and really made us feel like she cares. Hope you’re getting the same support. Take care and take everything at your own pace only you know how much you cannot can’t do xx Melanie

Mags, Essex girlie and Reddi thank you all so much for thinking of me it has really touched me finding your messages.
Op went well, I had to go to the hospital for 7:15 and was met by the night nurses who wanted to introduce themselves as they would be looking after me that night. Anaesthetist then arrived swiftly followed by breast care nurse then my consultant and I’d barely had time to blink before I was on my way to theatre.
Consultant and anaesthetist came back to see me later that afternoon and both were really pleased how I’m doing
I’ve had the right side mastectomy, sentinel node removed and implant so have two drains in place.
Consultant came back Saturday morning and was pleased with how I was doing as was physio. Came home late Saturday afternoon, feel much better being at home. I’m so lucky I’ve no pain ( Essex girlie I’m heart broken for you the discomfort and tightness is enough without pain so dread to think how it is for you).
Can’t shower as I can’t use waterproof dressings but had a good wash down and had my hair washed so that made me feel better.
Stayed in pjjamas today as they are really comfy. Taking care of my own drains, both vacuum and really easy to change so all went well with that this morning.
Have been very nauseous but think it’s the anaesthetic, hope it’s not the antibiotics as I am allergic to most of those too. Not eating much at all, must be very naive as I hadn’t anticipated feeling unwell ! Nuts or what.
On paracetamol and ibuprofen and antibiotics but that’s it.
Seeing consultant Wednesday and breast care nurse Friday so going to have a couple of lazy days.
Before I went in I purchased a gift set from cancer research online specifically for mastectomies. Have a velvet heart shape cushion, a black cord drain bag, cushion to protect me from sestbelt and eye mask they’ve been a godsend.
Thinking of all of you who still have your surgery to come, stay strong ladies you are so much stronger than you think xx

Oh dear Essexgirly 👎😪. I really hope you're feeling a bit better today and that the car journey is bearable. I think some staff just seem to have a better bedside manner than others - although I'm sure they all mean well 🤞. I'm the opposite to you and have high blood pressure - I'd be really upset if it was implied that I could somehow control it myself. Hopefully they'll give you some strong painkillers to take home? It doesn't sound like the usual over the counter stuff will be enough. I'm really hoping I don't have a drain. I'm not sure why they're used but when I mentioned it to the BCN she said they weren't used routinely in my hospital. I'll find out soon. It was difficult enough showering / washing hair after last 2 lumpectomies for the few days following surgery. Must be a nightmare with drains. Fingers crossed the district nurse removes yours when she visits?🤞
Big hugs - and I'll be thinking about you today. If you get a chance let us know how things are ❤xxx

Hi Mags, Friday i was scared but the hospital staff were great, especially in recovery.  I was in a great deal of pain and had a big dose of morphine - i felt wonderful.  Today (Saturday) is a different story.  I have been nagged by nursing staff for low blood pressure! Not a lot i can do, it's always been like that!  Going home tomorrow. And will have ditrict nurses come in as i still have a drain. Very sore and had scant attention. They wantedme gone today but i could not stand the drive, every movementis painful and i am dreading getting in the car. I won'tget results till after Christmas. Feeling very low. Wish i could have a shower or even a wash. Excuse awful typing/grammar.  

@MrsG1962 and @essexgirly2 Seconding what @Magsv said -- and I hope you are recovering well today! I also hope any pre-surgery jitters have settled. I know I certainly wouldn't have signed up for this particular life event, and I'm feeling nervous, too. I think that's totally natural with such a major surgery -- major, no matter how much tissue is removed, because of the underlying reason for it as well as the effects the surgery has on both mind and body.

@crochetaddict How did your meeting with your consultant go? I hope you got all your questions answered. It seems we'll be the two in this thread having surgery this week -- though, of course, some late-comers might join our party. I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday. 

@Pulapula Our journeys seem to have been somewhat similar, with neoadjuvant chemo, then some choice between a very wide WLE and a Mx. And I, too, work for myself from home, and recovery was a factor -- though for me, it was more a factor in considering whether to go for immediate or delayed reconstruction. I just felt I'd like to try immediate, since I knew I wanted reconstruction and I'd prefer one big surgery to two. We'll see if my body agrees to that plan!

Apologies for being so quiet this week -- I've been busy consenting to surgery and going through pre-surgery assessment, with this coming week no better, with more pre-surgery bloodwork, Herceptin injection (first post-chemo), follow-up with oncology, and check-up with ophthalmology (for an inflammation in one eye that seems to be a side effect of chemo) squashed into Monday through Wednesday. So I may be quiet again til I'm discharged home next weekend. I'll be thinking of all of you and eager to hear reports when/if you're ready.

As to me, I've signed on the dotted line for the lumpectomy on the left and the mastectomy on the right with immediate reconstruction using a prepectoral implant. Fingers crossed, the implant will take and my margins will be clear, and at most I'll need a little lipo top-up surgery to balance things up in late 2019 or 2020. At this point, though, I'm prepared (as much as I can be) for any turn of events. 

@Magsv Thanks for your packing list. I think I've now got my list sorted, but I'll have to pare back a bit in order to fit it into a suitable bag: button-front PJs, thick nonslip socks (cold feet!), front-closing sports bra (probably not required in my case), drain dolly, earplugs, eye mask, toothbrush & toothpaste & hand sanitizer & moisturizer (for my post-chemo care regime), throat lozenges, dandelion tea bags, book, mobile phone & charger & extra battery & headphones, and thank-you card for the nurses on the ward (my mother was a nurse, which is why I do this). I'm hoping to wear in what I wear out, but if my shirt doesn't fit over the swelling and bandages, my stretchy jersey PJ top should.

I got some post-mastectomy pillows from the fabulous Jen's Friends (if you're having surgery, I highly recommend them -- they were great after my sentinel lymph node biopsies in the summer). However, I don't know that I can fit them in my bag, so either my OH half will need to bring them to me in the ward after surgery, or I'll just leave them at home. (I have to report at 7:30am, so I'm going in on my own -- my OH is not a morning person.)

One nice early present: I found out that I'll only have drains on the mastectomy side, and I'm being given a type that I don't empty myself: they're vacuum-sealed, so if they get full, I have to go into the hospital to have them emptied. I'm going to have to be sure I know what to do if they need attending to on the holidays, especially as both my surgeon and my breast care nurse will be on annual leave. Tis the most wonderful time of the year!

Thinking of you both today Melanie and essexgirly Heart

I hope your ops went ok? :-)

Mags xxx

Thanks jane. I think I will have mx and recon as it just feels like I’m reducing the risk of recurrence. It will be a longer recovery but I work for myself from home so I can hopefully work when I feel ok and rest when I don’t.

Hi Pulapula,

Welcome to the forum. I send my best wishes to you, and can empathise with your dilemma as to the best option. I had a triple positive tumour, but, although it completely resolved with chemo, I had a large area of dcis, so a mastectomy ended up being my only option. I still need radiotherapy to prevent recurrence, so I wasn't able to have an immediate implant. Although I wasn't happy about having a mastectomy, I did feel pleased to think that I am cancer free, as my nodes were negative too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jane xx