cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SURGERY SEPTEMBER 2018

Re: SURGERY SEPTEMBER 2018

@Chocxsie - thinking of you today, hope oncology appointment goes well. 🤞
@kateday- if you do find that stop button,please let me know where it is!
@helenann - isn’t wine a wonder? I enjoyed a large glass of Merlot last night and it was utterly delicious. I know people who have given up wine because of BC but that would be a step too far for me. 🍷
Hi Marla13 - welcome to the September thread, it’s good to have you here. 🤗
@mrslet, @ pastastmissus and @xela - how are you ladies? Hope all is as ok as can be for you.
September seems a long time ago now that we are on the countdown to Christmas here’s to staying well and staying strong 💪💗🥊

Hi All - this is what makes this forum so fantastic - you can be feeling horrible/low and post here and within minutes there's somebody there giving you comfortaing words and making you feel so much better.

Chocxie - thanks for 'understanding' and sharing that you're feeling emotional at this stage in things as well.

I think i've probably been my own worst enemy by putting this 'strong' front on, but I've always been the strong one, the one people come to for help etc and I've tried to remain that person for as long as possible - but I'm at the point where I'm struggling dealing with my own 'issues' and i'm not able to cope with others problems and I hate it. You're so right, we both need to take a step back and start thinking of ourselves.

I'm wishing you loads of luck for tomorrow - make sure you let us know how you get on.🍀🍀🍀

Marla13 - you don't need to be a September surgery to post on this thread, please continue to follow us all - you're still on your journey and we'll all want to know how you're getting on.

I really admire you so much - you were brave enough to question what was being suggested and to examine your own feelings and instincts. I have to say after reading some of your posts I have wondered if I should have queried about what i was being told, but I didn't and now I have to get on with things as they are and I must admit I was glad to glad to get rid of the bugger out of my breast asap - so no regrets really.

Keep us posted on how you're getting on.💖

Feel a lot better now - a couple of glasses of sauvignon blanc have helped as well.🥂

Hi Helenann,

I'm not a "legit" September Surgery friend Smiley Happy but since I know you from one of your very first threads I wanted to respond! I completely get how you feel re-being on automatic pilot and feeling like it's all just coming together and finally hitting home. That makes complete sense. I honestly think that the very nature of breast cancer forces women to kick into auto-pilot mode (and attend appointments, surgery, scans, biopsies, etc) and expects us to deal with the emotional component later on. I liken it to a PTSD response. Now that things are slowing down for you treatment wise, i.e., almost at the end of your implant "fills", you've got more time to think about the events of the last several months. Appointments are (thankfully) less frequent but the downside is that the emotional stuff is now finally hitting home. 

Thank goodness you don't need chemo, but please don't feel bad for feeling bad. This process is an emotional rollercoaster ride, whatever train you're on (the chemo train, surgery train) etc. 

The reality is that friends and family probably do assume you're doing so well because you've had to, and on the surface you have appeared to be coping. Nobody other than other BC women actually know just how sad, vulnerable, angry, upset, you feel. I truly believe that unless you're going through it, you can't possibly understand. I don't think my own friends and family understand either. 

So allow yourself to cry, to feel low, and any other feelings that come...they're coming to the surface because things have finally (and thankfully) slowed down...let them be there...and know that there are lots of women on this forum who are here for you.

xxxxx

Hi Helen,
I totally understand how you are feeling, because I am feeling exactly the same way. I keep bursting into tears - the tiniest thing can set me off; the lyrics of a song, a gesture on a tv show, a lady who smiled at me in the street!

I think, like you, I've held it all in, been strong for everyone else, taken it in my stride, bounced back quickly, been told on numerous occasions how well I'm looking, but emotionally it's all just hitting me.

I know I have an important appointment tomorrow, but I think it's a lot more than that. I think we both need to take time for ourselves before we get back to normal, whatever that is 😊

Look after yourself and take it slowly and I promise to do the same too.

Love, Chocxie x

Hi September friends - I'm now 6 weeks post surgery. Still going weekly to have my tissue expander filled - thought it was the last one last week but when I seen the consultant today she thinks it needed 2 more fills. Will have about 525 mils in it when finished (don't know if this means anything to anyone - I don't know if thats usual or a lot - anyway its what she thinks is required so will go along with it).

Been a bit up and down emotionally for some reason this last week or so- feel like I've been on autopilot since my diagnosis in August and everyone tells me how great i've been dealing with the diagnosis etc- which I have been - taking every appoitnment, scan , biopsy, diagnosis and surgery 'in my stride' and suddenly I feel like someone's turned the autopilot switch off and I'm on manual - and the enormity of what's happened is only really just hitting home now.😪

I know I'm lucky - I don't have to have chemo - so I need to have a good talk to myself and pull myself together.

Sorry for 'moaning' when there's quite of few having to face chemo. Sending lots of love to you all.

Love, Helen. xxx

Hi JacqB, poor you, I hope it all clears up for you soon.

I'm 6 weeks post mx and SNLB, and I have oncology tomorrow.

Take care, C x

Hi Jacqb

You must be at your wits end woth it all now
It seems such a long time ago we all started having our surgery’s
Not that my friends or family see it that way they think it’s been really quick
I’m on the chemo train now and would like to get off but there doesn’t seem to be a stop button
Hope all you other ladies are holding up well xx

Hi all
Nine weeks post surgery and still not fully healed from the lymph node clearance. Ironically the scar on my weird square boob is perfect! If only my surgeon had bothered to make it boob shaped I’d be laughing! 😠
I still have a hole in the axillary scar and it’s leaking quite a bit, I’m so frustrated that apparently nothing can be done to hurry things along. I’m not a patient person and it’s driving me insane!
On a positive note the seroma is gone, the cording has resolved with exercise and I have full movement back in my arm and shoulder.
Things have gone a bit quiet here and I hope that’s because you are all feeling absolutely fabulous!
😊💪💕

Thanks so much Chocxie....I hope you have a lovely week-end.

xxxx

Thanks very much Helenann...I left there at 5:50PM and just arrived home-stopped off for groceriesSmiley Happy.

It's funny because I thought I was going there to tell *her* that I want to defer but she put it to me that she is telling *me* to defer (it sometimes seems that they (the authority figuresSmiley Happy want to be the ones calling the shots. That's absolutely fine with me, as long as we're on the same page. I just thought it was funny because it came across as though she thought she was advising me, when really I was there to say "I really don't want to go through with it". Anyways, I felt very supported today. She wants to see me in 3 weeks to examine me and then an MRI in 3 months to assess how the Letrozole is working. Unfortunately, the ultrasound scan is not allowing them to size my cancer because of it's lobular nature (it's scattered about as opposed to being one defined lump). 

I hope you have a lovely w/end and thanks for checking up on meSmiley Happy.

xxxx 

That's fantastic news Marla, I'm sure you're relieved. Now you can focus on your mum for a while, I hope all goes well xx

Thats great news, Marla. Well done for sticking to your guns and having the confidence to tell your surgeon how you feel. I think we can sometimes be intimidated by 'people in authority' - so you've done great.

Good luck with the scans - it's been a long old day for you if you're still there now.💖

Am still at my appointment but just to say...my consultant was more than understanding and in fact said that even if I was irritated to ahead in 2 weeks she would advise me not to because I am not 100% sure. She reiterated that being on Letrozole is more important (for me and my type of cancer) than the surgery and that I am safe to defer surgery. Am just waiting for ultrasound scan so they have a good baseline of size of cancer. Thank you for all your support. xxxxx

Thanks very much Chocxie7, and for your well wishes for my mumSmiley Happy.

It is exactly that-it's my gut. It's my instinct. It's just a feeling I cannot describe. And the fact that they are telling me I'm OK (I'm safe) provided I'm taking Letrozole allows me to get myself mentally ready for such a big step. I just hope they don't change their tune today. I do realise and appreciate I've left it late to let them know and I feel awful about that but I'm sure it's not uncommon for women in our position to change our minds and have different thoughts and feelings on different days. I'd rather defer and think things through than go ahead with it when I don't really feel ready...you know what I mean?

Thanks for sharing your own experience with your tumour size....that's very reassuring. I know that lobular cancers don't always shrink the way they need to (I have a lobular cancer as well as ductal) but I would kick myself if I didn't give it a go! 

Will update you late this afternoon...

xxx 

Thanks a million Helenann-will do.

xx

Good luck with your appointment today, Marla. Sending love. Let us know how it goes. 💖xxx

Hi Marla
So sorry you are having such a tough time, but I agree with Helenann that you need to trust your own instinct. If you're not mentally ready for surgery and you are taking the drugs and being monitored, you should be allowed to make an informed decision.
I wish your mother well for her operation and totally understand that you would want to be there for her.

Just to add, when I had my surgery, it was discovered that the tumour was a lot smaller than the scans had suggested, so trust in yourself, stay strong and I hope everything goes well at your meeting tomorrow
Xx

Thanks a million for being so supportive Helenann-it feels very validating that you understand. It *is* such a big operation, as you well know, I just don't feel I am strong enough to cope with it at the moment, nor do I want to make the decision to have the mastectomy without first giving Letrozole a go. 

I am expecting a telling off tomorrow. I am also expecting that they may try and sway me to have the surgery as planned, in 2 weeks. I am petrified. A friend has offered to come with me to my appt but I politely declined. I have insisted on going to all of my appointments on my own-I think I'm nutsSmiley Happy. I'm a firm believer that we all need an advocate, and I don't feel the BC nurse is there for me-but more for the consultant, yet I continue to attend on my own and am outnumberedSmiley Happy.  

I want to be able to be with my mum for her surgery and though she said on the phone today "please don't postpone your surgery for me"-I emphasised to her that even if she was well and not about to have her own surgery, I'd feel the same about postponing mine. I just want to feel more certain and more ready than I already do.

I really appreciate you understanding. I know you've just been through the op yourself, and am envious in the sense that you were ready to face the music. I don't think I am there yet.

xx

Oh Marla - I totally agree with you - if you're not ready to face this and you've been assured there's no urgency you must do whats best for your sanity.No body would judge you.

I have read posts on this site that have said by taking the medication the tumour can shrink to almost nothing - so as long as they keep an eye on you all should be well. Obviously if scans show the medication isn't working or things change you can always reassess your options at that stage.

You're a really strong individual who knows her own mind and has weighed up all the options and been brave enough to 'voice' your fears/concerns.

Please keep posting, though, or keep in touch through PM if you don't want to post.

We're all here for you and will help you get through whatever decision you make- and it has to be a decision YOU'RE comfortable with - sod what anyone else thinks - its your body.👍

You have the added stress of your Mum;s forthcoming operation as well - and I think you do need to be as strong as is possible mentally to get through a mastectomy and if you're worried about your Mum thats not going to help you.

Take care and sending you lots of love and hugs.

xxx

Hi Helenann,

So pleased to hear you're doing well and coping on Letrozole, and that you feel positive about your new expander. It takes time by the sounds of it but you're getting there and seeing improvements on a daily basis.

My latest post was on another thread:

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Hormone-therapy/A-decision-to-defer-or-not-to-defer-surgery... 

I'm not feeling "mentally" ready for a mastectomy (despite having bought the bras, underwear, PJ's, and my father is booked on a flight to come over, etc.) and and after an hour long call with a MacMillan nurse this AM (I talked her through my journey from diagnosis to where I am now)-she said that it sounds like I've already made up my mind but am too afraid to voice myself to my team for fear of upsetting them. She is right. She is the first professional who has actually listened to me (as opposed to talking *at* me)-my experience of this whole process has been (more or less)-"this is what you have, this is what we recommend, let's set a date". I realise you are never "ready" for something like this but I have had surgery before (another type) and I know how I *should* feel...a lot more mentally ready than I do. 

Now that I'm on Letrozole, I'm aware that surgery is not *urgent* and even my breast surgeon had said to me weeks ago (end of Sept-feels like months ago) that provided I take Letrozole, I can afford to wait and see if my cancer shrinks and I can defer surgery for 9-18 months, etc. She also said they would monitor me closely via scans. 

But until now, I hadn't really had the courage (and perhaps hadn't made my mind up) to defer surgery and I fear she will be extremely upset with me given my surgery is booked for 2 weeks from yesterday. I have asked to see her tomorrow; I have an appointment to discuss my thoughts and where my head is at. 

I'm sure I am not the first to choose to defer but I feel bad leaving it this late. The MacMillan nurse said that it sounds like I am very low risk and that if my team monitor me closely I should be OK, i.e., if a scan in 4-6 months shows the cancer is *not* shrinking, I'll know that my chances of a lumpectomy are slim. To be honest, I might decide on a mastecomy in a few months time anyways (even if given the choice) but *now* doesn't feel right for me. I'm just not ready. 

I would like to be in Canada for my mother for when she has her hip surgery and if I have my surgery in 2 weeks I probably won't be able to fly early in the new year when she may be operated on-she doesn't have a date yet. And so whilst there is no urgency for *me*, I would rather defer and give the Letrozole a chance to do it's thing. I'm curious to know if and how much it will shrink my cancer. One lady on the MacMillan forum said her cancer shrank by 50%! This is amazing. I consider a mastecomy a last resort, and until they tell me "Marla-if you don't have surgery now you are 80% at risk of it spreading" or whatever....I am in no hurry to have it removed. 

I realise I may be alone here but I'm not afraid of the cancer-it does not bother me to have it in my body. It's the surgery and recovery that concern me. The time is not right for me. As long as I am taking Letrozole and as long as my cancer is not growing (which my second opinion consultant at the Royal Marsden said it shouldn't) then I am not worried about the cancer being in me. 

Let's be honest-to have a 52 mm cancer in my boob it would have had to have been there a while-it did not grow overnight. And yet it has caused me no harm till now. I am *not* being irresponsible, in that I am not refusing treatment, *but* I *am* taking the decision to defer until I feel ready. I've been told by both consultants that whilst on Letrozole, there is no urgency to have surgery. 

xxx

Hi Pastasmissus - you're certainly going through the mill - sending you love and hugs. xxx

Hi Kateday - sorry the chemo is so horrible for you - hopefully they'll be able to give you something to help next time.xxx

Hi JacqB - happy belated birthday - glad you had a good day.xxx

Hi Chocxie - glad you're getting stronger and good luck with making the decision. xxx

Hi MrsLET - good luck on your return to work later this month. xxx

Hi Marla - hope all went well with your visit to your parents. xxx

Hi Xela - hope all is well with you. xxx

All September Ladies - sending love and best wishes to you all. xxx

My original mastectomy has nearly stopped leaking, just in time for my ANC that side and mastectomy and SNB the other side!

Hi all

Glad to see your mainly doing well
I started chemo this week with some awful nausea and vomiting
I will be speaking with the team before the next one to see if they can help any differently with this xx

Thank you Linda, I had a lovely birthday 😊

Hi my fellow September surgery friends - hope everyone is doing well.

I'm doing well - have been going to the hospital weekly getting my temporary expander filled, and I think it's going to be good.

I always feel a bit sore after the fill for a day or two (nothing awful, just tender really).

I now have 425 mls of saline in it and I think thats as much as they intend to do - I have an appointment next week with the consultant who'll confirm she thinks its enough - apparently they weigh your breast and then try to get the 'new' one as near to the same size/weight - its all very clever.

I've been taking Letrozole for nearly 3 weeks now - don't seem to be having any awful side efects - little bit achy today (but that could be the weather as much as the drug?), and I have felt nauseous (again, don't know if this is the drug or just how I'm feeling at the moment)

I'm exceptionally tired - is anyone else suffering from fatigue?

The October and November surgery threads seemed to have disappeared for a while - I've been following some whose surgey has 'spilled' over into those months - I hope people start posting on those threads again to keep us up to date (Octobers seemed to have come back but November??? Or is just me?).

Take care everyone - post a little update on how you're all getting on if you can.💖

Love

Helen

xxx

Hi Ladies
How are you all? I've been reading your posts and it's strange how this journey is taking us all in different directions.
I have oncology appointment looming now and needing to decide between rads or ANC.
Then I'll be moving on to tamoxifen.

Still doing the exercises and feeling sore, but getting stronger all the time.

Love to all xx

Happy birthday Jaqb.x

Hi jacqb

Apologies I haven’t been on to answer about the granuals , really crazy busy week at work

I have tried to find the name but with no luck at present
All though it sounds like your starting to finally heal

I hope all you others are doing well 😀

A little update
Chemo has been put on hold for three weeks which is disappointing but necessary as I know that healing just doesn’t happen on chemo. I’ve been taking high strength vitamin C for the week and, I don’t know if it’s a coincidence, but all of a sudden over the last two days, my wound has started to close and is much less leaky. It’s definitely on the mend and I’m so pleased to see light at the end of the tunnel. Also, cancelled chemo means I can enjoy a nice glass of wine on my birthday this Saturday. Hugs to you all 🤗 💗🍷💪

Oh Jacq, you’re having such a rough ride 😢. Really hoping you’re appointment is positive today x

@kateday. Yes chemo due on Thursday is booked but will all depend on the wound. I will know on Tuesday.

I have been asking about treatments to close the wound but they have very much wanted to leave it to resolve itself. I would be interested to know what the granules are called, thank you.

I just don’t want to delay the chemo so am getting quite anxious. The district nurses saw me at the ambulatory clinic on Friday so I can now get dressIngs from them. Hopefully I won’t need them for much longer. 🤞🤞🤞

That’s is just awful treatment
Do they not have district nurses who could come dress it for you
I will try and find out what granuals we use at work we had a lady with a wound and for love or money we couldn’t get it to close
We used these granuals and it heals very quickly
I would write a complaint they could not expect you to drive all that way for dressings
Is your Chemo due to start Thursday xx

Sadly still having problems with my axillary wound. It just won’t close. It’s constantly weeping fluid and I’m having to dress it a couple of times a day. I ran out of dressIngs last Thursday so popped into my GP’s to see if the nurse could dress it only to be told that they had no appointments till Monday! I ended up spending £20 in Boots on dressIngs. TBH my GP surgery have been completely useless, I’ve asked them for help twice since diagnosis in April and both times they’ve turned me away. Given that my hospital is a 50 mile round trip and I don’t drive, it’s really upsetting that they won’t even dress my scar.
Seeing the oncology team on Tuesday to assess me for chemo on Thursday. I’ve got my fingers crossed but it looks doubtful.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi and hope your all doing ok xx

And today is a better day .... I’m guessing ups and downs will continue for a while!! Work have agreed to extend full pay beyond the normal and to pay full salary on a phased return ...... Thank F for that!!!

So 6 weeks on, I’m out of pain (still stiff and feel like things are swollen), work is on side for a return mid November which will be 10 weeks at 2 hours a day from home initially (my job involves driving normally).

Things are looking up!!

Hope the rest of you are seeing some glimmers of hope and feeling ok xx

@MrsLet
FFS says it all really. How can DCIS be deemed not serious enough for a pay out? You have every right to have a moan. Hope you are having a better day today.
Jacq x

Please do - I shall be glad of the company!

Hello Willowherb,
Am in the same boat - re-exision by the end of this month. Might join you in the other thread.

I hear you loud and clear MrsLET. My excess is £500 (but my choice to go down the private route) and I'm self-employed. I had hoped to have a holiday this year (that was the plan pre-diagnosis)-my last holiday was Oct 2016, it looks like I won't be having a holiday for quite some time because as soon as I'm well, I need to go back to work. I just can't justify taking even more time off after this illness, for a break! 

We're all in this together my friend. It sucks. But it's important we manage to keep things in perspective, and like you-have had my moments. We are *entitled* to having our moments, and I do hope that perhaps in the morning, if not before, you feel a bit better. 

As my father continues to tell me, you can always make more £££. But as per our health-it's now or never (so to speak). As long as you're still fit and healthy and able to work-you'll earn the £££ back and get on top of things again.

xxxx  

Hello all, I know I shouldn’t moan as it could have been a lot worse but feeling really rubbish today. Just received payslip from work to see that they have taken me off full pay. Boss had said that after 8 weeks it was discretionary and hinted that they would continuing paying me, but it seems not. So I’m £200 down this month and need to get back to work ASAP beating in mind now that any phased return to work will not be full pay.

I’m sick of this disease, I’m lucky that they caught it early but it’s done nothing but cost me financially. Firstly because it was found through a private health assessment the journey continued down the private route and cost me just over £200 in excess. Then because it’s DCIS it’s not deemed ‘bad’ enough for a critical illness payout - I’ve lost my breast FFS, now work have decided that they’re not paying me.

I know I’m lucky to have my life,,just feeling rubbish. Was looking forward to starting swimming next week, but if I go back to work I won’t have time to do that :-(

Sorry, know many of you have it far more seriously. Not feeling very strong today

Love to all that are going through the s**t

Xx

I have Netflix
Came in handy after surgery haha
Today my hair is being cut short in prep
The kids don’t quite understand why I want to cut it short
Have explained it’s abiut me being in control
I think this part of the journey is scaring them xx
Being part of a trial is amazing well done xx

Hi Kateday

Glad to hear that they are getting on with it and not making you wait around. Our circumstances are different as I’m on the Rosco Trial which splits the chemo into four T and four FEC with surgery in the middle, so I was always down for four rounds. I don’t know if I will be having the extra radiotherapy boost. My oncologist also said that in some places, Germany for instance, eight is the standard number of treatments for everyone.

I think we just have to trust the docs and their oath do “first do no harm” they just want to kill the cancer bitch! (Yes I do see it as a monster within me).

As you are nearing the end of the month, maybe join the November thread as well, I joined May and June and I’ve found both threads to be a huge support. There is something massively comforting about knowing others are going through a similar experience.

On a practical note, fill the freezer with portioned meals, take every offer of help you are given, and download Netflix to watch anytime. You really can lose yourself in a show when concentration a book is too much.

Sending hugs and healing thoughts your way.
💪💗🤗

Xela - hope all is going well at home.

I don't know whether to leave this thread now as having a re-exision in October so may qualify for the October thread!

Anyone got any experiences of the second op to re-assure me?

Hi Jacqb
They haven’t given me exact date just within next two weeks
So either next Monday or Tuesday or the following
I have joined the October month as it stands it will start this month
You are one that also has 8 cycles most seem to have six and this was what I was originally told
Was also told three weeks radio now it’s four and a half
I presumed this was because it was triple negative. But not actually sure xx

Hi kateday
Sorry to hear you have to have chemotherapy, have they given you a start date? The monthly chemo starter threads here are great, really supportive and everyone is in the same boat. I would definitely recommend joining in. I’ve completed four rounds and about to have four more and so far I’ve been ok with the side effects. It’s very doable and you will be supported all the way. Stay strong, you’ve got this! 💪💗

Hi all
I hope your all doing as well as expected
So my plan is 8 cycles of chemo and four and half weeks of radio
Xx

You are too funny! 

xxx

Hi All
So, I've discovered the best way to summon an unexpected visitor is to ditch the bra! It seems the minute I decide that that's it for the day, and I can't wait to get the darn thing off, someone will ring the doorbell! I'll have to make sure I have a cover up to hand, I can't go around traumatising people 😂

Thanks very much Helen-I agree with XELA-you *are* a star and one of my heros! 

I'll update you once I'm on the other side. My op is scheduled for 14th Nov and am expected to be in hospital for a week (though I plan on bringing my laptop) cause I can't imagine watching TV for a weekSmiley Happy.

xx 

Thanks everyone! I hope you’re all doing great. I’ve been on codeine forever and come off it and I feel the worse I’ve ever felt so far. Isn’t that ridiculous?

Helen aren’t you’re star? replying to everyone individually- you put me to shame.

Well I’m in the clinic Thursday am. It’s a horrible feeling just stepping into that clinic, even when they’re just checking on the infection but that should be it until January. That’s when I go back for reconstruction, on the good breast xxx