Re: SURGERY SEPTEMBER 2018

👍👍👍😘😘😘

Maria13,

You are absolutely right. It is so easy to compare, not only in terms of treatment, but also regarding our prognosis. We are all individuals and we must have faith that our oncologists are going to try their very best to go for a full cure, and carry out treatment that they believe is in our best interests.

I wish you well 

Jane xx

[ Edited ]

Awwww...thanks very much Jane for the 👍. xxx

To put a different slant on the above...I'm only too aware that the nature of BC is such that it is very easy to get competitive...not necessarily with the *intent* of wanting to see oneself or another's situation as better or worse, but the very fact that we all share our own diagnoses, stories, experiences, treatment plans...lends itself to comparing notes, even when it's unhelpful. And it has become very obvious to me that different teams/surgeons/oncologists work differently and therefore make different recommendations, and we mustn't get into the habit of thinking "mine is right and yours is wrong" (or vice-versa). What is right for one, may not be right, or may not work, for someone else.

We should all be using this forum to inform ourselves, and to help us make better choices-the right choices for *us*. Not to compete, or put doubts into someone else's mind as to whether their team knows what they are doing, etc. (I've digressed slightly-sorry) Smiley Happy

xxx 

Dear Maria13

Just had to comment on what a fantastic post. What wise words.That post is going to help so many people.

Thank you

Jane xx

Hi Alex,

Wow-it sounds like you've had your hands full with mum's health and your housemove, on top of your own health issues! Never ever say or think "others have it worse" (or others had to go through a lot worse)-you know why? Because it will make you feel bad for feeling bad. Everyone's problems and situation are as important as another's and the truth is that there will always be somebody who has it a lot worse, but also others who don't. We all matter. We are all important and we are all suffering in our own waySmiley Happy

So pleased to hear that you've got support for your depression. 

Good good luck with your house move tomorrow and I hope your first night sleep in your new home is a positive experience.

xxx

Hi Everyone. Well it’s been a whirlwind. Mum really knocked me for six when she broke her hip. Then,
that’s when everything hit me. Was warned by the nurse that it would.

Feel v guilty as a lot of ladies have had to go through a lot more than me! Also a lady I had surgery with, has to have Rads and Chemo. But I think you get through everything on adrenaline and when everything settles down - Pow!

I suffer terribly from depressiob so it’s been a very tough road. I’m getting the help I need. But moving house tomorrow doesn’t help. So once I’m in, I can enjoy.

It’s been great reading up on your progressions. Alex xx

[ Edited ]

Hi Helenann,

I'm so thrilled to hear you are doing well and had your last fill of your tissue expander-hurray! 

I'm so behind in replies on here-I've just come back from 2 weeks in the Canary Islands...a well needed break but was sick from Day 3 of 14 and am still congested! 

I, too, am struggling with low mood on the Letrozole but am trying to apply my own therapeutic tools on myseldSmiley Happy "therapist heal thyself"Smiley Happy. My NY resolution is to DO LESS. I realised whilst on holiday just how much pressure I put myself under at work, and at home (keeping up with chores, tasks) and I do think it has been killing me. 

Like you Helenann, I've been off work since Oct. and admittedly I have felt slightly a "fraud" given I never had surgery in the end, but the whole emotional trauma of this diagnosis, and "you're having surgery" to "I'm not ready for surgery" has really thrown me. I thought I'd be able to take my 2 weeks away and just process the last 3 months but truthfully I think I was in avoidant mode whilst away (though am trying to be forgiving of myself because I *was* so poorly). So this Christmas is going to be a quiet one...not having family visit and not visiting family (they are abroad)-it's my choice, and I feel good about it. I just want some "me-time" and time to think, and plan, etc. I am also hoping to move house (if I find one I like) next year so that's also a priority and a time consuming oneSmiley Happy.

I love hearing how you are doing, and if we weren't all so spread out across the country I'd suggest a get together over Christmas....would be lovely to meet some of you in person. Perhaps we can organise something well in advance so those of us who need accomodation can arrange it. 

Sending lots of love....

xxx

Pastamissus,

Wishing you luck with your chemo. Just wanted to let you know that I used the cold cap throughout my chemo and I kept about 60% of my hair. If you decide to give the cold cap a try, then I would advise that you take painkillers half an hour before, and try to withstand it for the first ten minutes. After that, it becomes more bearable. 

My hair was thinner but remained just below my chin. I finished my last chemo on 10th October and my hair is growing back at a rate of knots! I had it cut into a short bob today, and everyone says you can't tell I have even had chemo, as it now looks much thicker as the more 'wispy' longer hair has been removed.  I have been using ' mane and tail shampoo' which you can get from Amazon or Boots etc and it is meant to promote hair growth.

My radiotherapy starts on 18th December. Like you, I feel it's a pain before Christmas and I was ready to start it earlier but they hadn't got any availability. But it's another thing to tick off.

Best wishes with your continuing treatment.

Jane xx

Hi
I have five more to go as have four EC then four T
Will have a pic line fitted before the next one
Pastamissus
You have come so far
I cut mine short then shaved when it started to fall out
Day six post chemo three and starting woth a cold
Keeping eye on temp every two hours
Paranoid as other half in x mas do and he deserves a good night out xx

start chemo 20 December!!!

Glad to get started, but it's a pain it's before Christmas. But rather then than wait until 7 Jan. Saw the oncologist today, having a think about whether to do 3 FEC then 3 FEC-T or just to stick to FEC.

Appointment with hairdresser for Wednesday to get my long hair cut very short!

Kateday - so sorry its so horrible for you 😪- how many more 'sessions' do you have to have? I agree about getting loads of sleep -will do you the world of good, and also I agree in lots of ways time seems to stand still yet flies by at the same time. I find myself wishing my life away some times waiting for the next appointment so I can move forward a little more.xxx

Pastasmissus - You've been through the mill for sure - glad all the surgery is done. Good luck for tomorrow 🍀- be sure to let us know how it goes. xxx

Having had the original mastectomy in Sptember, they then found cancer in the other breast on MRI and biopsy. So ended up having another mastectomy with ANC of the original side in November. Go to see oncologist tomorrow to talk about chemo and radio. At least that's the surgery finally finished with!

I won’t lie , it is not great , I have had a reduced dose this time to see if it reduces the side effects , fingers crossed
Pretty much been asleep since 6 last night which isn’t a bad thing as when asleep well you don’t feel ill
Good to see you getting on ok
It will be feb before I get the gene results but time in some sense stands still but flys so will be here before I know it xx

Hi Kateday, Marla and all you lovely September ladies.

I'm doing well - have had my last fill of my tissue expander - now just waiting to get it replaced with a permanent one, which will be Feb or March next year. 

I'm still off work but am looking to go back early in the New year.

Kateday - hope you're 'coping' with the chemo and good luck for the genetis results - be sure and let us know.

Marla - how are you doing on the Letrozole? Have you had the DEXA scan yet?

Keep in touch everyone when you can. xxx

Fingered crossed for you Kate that the genetics test comes back negative, and well done to you for progressing through chemo....all of you chemo ladies are my heros!!!
xxxxxx

Hi ladies
Just wanted to pop in and see how you are all doing now
Time is going quickley even though it doesn’t feel like it
Cycle three of chemo for me tomorrow
Had my genetics test last week but that’s about an 8 week wait for results
I’m praying with all I have it’s negative , not because the prospect of more surgery but for my girls xx

Hi Alex - so sorry to hear about your Mum - you've been put through the mill, for sure. Hope she's on the mend - and hope you're doing OK as well. 

Keep in touch when you can.

Sending love and hugs.💖😘💖

Hugs to you and your mum Xela-so sorry to hear about her hip. I hope she is being well looked after by her own doctor and hope she makes a full recovery.

xxxx

Hi Guys, so sorry i’m Catching up. My mum broke her hip and it was in front of me. It made everything I went through look like nothing. She’s 77 and I lost my dad 18mths ago so it hit her hard and me. It’s been such a crazy horrible 6 months. So that put me back a bit as I was dealing with everything well. I hope everything is going great with all the ladies. I’m catching up right now xxx

Thanks you’ve helped me work through any nagging doubts I had.
Wishing you a lovely weekend too xxxx