Re: November 2018 Surgery...

Best of luck for 12th November Jmag81! 

I'm away from tomorrow till 28th Oct but will be back then-feel free to connect with other November surgery women here and I'll be sure to wish you lots of luck again nearer the 12th. Till then, try and do nice things for you!

xxx

Highlighted

Hi ladies, my surgery is booked for 12th November, not as extensive as some of yours, I'm having a lumpectomy and SNB, so no reconstruction needed, hope not left too 'deformed' x

Hi Wahini-I'm so relieved for you that your CT scan came back clear. I know we've "met" on another thread but my memory is failing me and I can't recall your story....please remind me....when did it all re-start for you and what is your current diagnosis/treatment plan? 

xxx

Hi Wahini

Glad your CT was clear. It's such a relief, isn't it! All the best for your surgery

Hi Maria

Good luck for your surgery too

Hi Marla, I will have surgery the day after you as my CT scan came back clear. Phew! The first positive test result in a line of several bad news test results since it all (re-)started. I will have mastectomy of right breast with immediate reconstruction with an implant and mesh, and lymph node clearance. 

Hi Pastamissus,

Thanks very much for clarifying. I'm learning something new every single day. OK-that all makes sense to me now. I empathise with your situation-they couldn't feel my breast cancer either-it only showed up on the mammogram but it has lobular features which is what makes it a bit more "interesting" as my surgeon said. I think the lobular nature of it means it is all over the place (in the breast) rather than confined to one lump. I have Invasive Ductal with lobular features. I find out on Friday whether I will need chemo. I have *everything* crossed-if you know what I meanSmiley Happy

xx

If the SNB shows up lymph nodes with definite cancer (which mine did) then they do an axillary clearance, which is removal of all the lymph nodes in the armpit on that side. If the SNB only shows what they call micrometastases (odd cancer cells) then I think they tend to leave them without surgery and go for radiotherapy. With mine, they removed something from quite high up in the breast, it was either a lymph node which had been taken over by cancer, or a second cancer, or spread from the main cancer which was quite a way away (lobular). So basically, they want to throw everything at it. Then the MRI showed I had a cancer in the other breast, which no-one can feel, even when they know where it is!

Hi Pastamissus,

I'm sorry to hear you need a second mastecomy. Can I just ask: if the SNB isn't clear-what further op will they do? I thought the idea of a mastectomy was that it removes all the cancer from the breast? Where will they operate if the SNB isn't clear....in the armpit area? (apologies if I'm asking the obvious-this is all new to me).

My fingers are crossed for you that all will be clear for you on 8th November.

xxxx

Hi Jacqui,

Welcome to the November "gang"-not a gang we really want to be part of, but hey ho! I'm really pleased you feel fine on Letrozole. I, too, am on Letrozole-just a week though, and am feeling OK on it except for 'weak' knees. I can live with it, as it is now...I just hope it doesn't progressively get worse. I'm going to discuss having the bone scan when I see my oncologist on Friday just to be sure I am not vulnerable to developing any bone-related issues.

It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone in thinking they've made a mistake with the biopsy results! Me too-no symptoms, no lump. Invasive Ductal Carcinoma with lobular features. We're nearly twinsSmiley Happy

As for tips: I've found a lot of useful information on the following thread:

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Surgery/DIEP-recovery-queries/m-p/1240550/highlight/true#M5...

I'm in the same position as you are-just waiting for my surgery so I don't feel best placed to offer tips just yet but hope that I will be able to once I'm on the other side of my surgery.

I've actually been out all afternoon shopping for elasticated stretchy trousers-so that when I am well enough to venture out (even with swollen belly) I look half decentSmiley Happy. I found some leopard and other animal print stuff at Zara today...I find animal print is a great way to conceal any extra lumps and bumpsSmiley Happy.

Your surgery is 9 days before mine. Some useful tips I've gathered include having your refridgerator stocked with your favourite things so that you don't have to cook when you get home from hospital.

I am going to make an on-line food order from my hospital bed, once I know my discharge date because (I live alone) and there are certain foods that will just go off if I buy them too far in advance (and my freezer is small so I can't freeze *everything*). 

I'm around till Friday and then off for a week, but if I get any notifications while I'm away I'll do my best to reply.

xxx

Good luck on the 8th November. I'll be thinking of you xx

Hi Marla13
I've posted and inadvertently made another thread for November Surgery- ooops!
So repeating myself here as want to 'join your gang'.
I'm due my right breast mastectomy and DIEP Recon. on 5/11. I've been waiting months for this op but now that is getting nearer, I'm feeling really anxious.
Like you, I keep thinking that they may have made a mistake, but I think its because I can't feel anything, which apparently is common with lobular BC.
I do feel really well cared for so far, everyone from the BCN to the breast surgeon and the plastic surgeon, have been frank and honest and I do trust them. As the op has been long awaited (first diagnosed 2/7) my Breast surgeon has put me on Letrozole already, as he said I'll have to take it post-surgery anyway.
I've been taking it for 2mths and so far I feel fine. Also taking VitD and Calcium.
Getting my bag ready for hospital stay, any tips greatly appreciated.
Have a lovely trip xx

Due surgery 8 Nov - second mastectomy with SNB and axillary clearance the other side (initial mastectomy 30 Aug). No reconstruction - going flat. Really hope the SNB is clear, otherwise I'm going to need yet another op and it delays the radio and chemo even more.

November 2018 Surgery...

[ Edited ]

Hi Ladies,

I'm going to be taking a short break from the forum while I get myself (and my home) ready for my upcoming surgery-I'm also flying abroad this week-end to visit my parents for a week before my surgery date (14th Nov) but before I disappear for a few days, I thought to start a November surgery thread because I'm sure I am not the only one who's date is in November. I will be having a skin sparing mastectomy with sentinel node mapping (left breast only) with immediate DIEP reconstruction. I've been fortunate enough to have "met" some incredible women on here who have had the same op and who have recovered, or are recovering well, and though I had a meltdown a week or so ago, I'm feeling much more optimistic about the op (providing the diagnosis is accurate)-yes, there is still a part of me that is thinking "are you sure the biopsy results were *mine* and not someone else's". I'm only too aware that mistakes do happen and the thought of having my boob removed for no reason at all (i.e., in error) sends shivers up my spine. I'm sure I am not the only one who has questioned the reliability of their biopsy results! That aside...

I welcome any other November surgery gals to join me here and share with us what upcoming surgery you will be having, and whether you're having immediate, delayed, or no reconstruction. 

As I typed the above sentence, it does remind me of ordering a drink at Starbucks....there are many different permutations and combinations of treatments, reconstructions, etc. and no two "cases" are the same. 

xxxx