cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you had or are going to have a mastectomy

Re: If you had or are going to have a mastectomy

Susie - hope you had a useful and productive meeting with your surgeon today. 

Evie xx

Susie - sorry I missed these earlier, I have just replied to your PM. Hope that helps and sorry I have repeated some of the advice I already put on this thread. I'll watch out and answer any more questions you have. Evie xx

I’d really appreciate a fast response as I’m seeing my surgeon in the morning and will be expected to make my decision xxxx thanks all and big hugs
I’m really struggling with this decision

Hi Evie-S I’m due to have s mastectomy on 14th November. I’m really struggling as my surgeon has tried to guide me into having a delayed reconstruction as I’m possibly going to have to have radiotherapy. I don’t think I can psychologically cope with going flat even if it just for a year. I have asked for an immediate reconstruction and have an appointment tomorrow to discuss this / I’d really appreciate your advice and your personal experiences since you’ve had your reconstructive surgery - thanks big hugs Susie

Hi Evie-S I’m due to have s mastectomy on 14th November. I’m really struggling as my surgeon has tried to guide me into having a delayed reconstruction as I’m possibly going to have to have radiotherapy. I don’t think I can psychologically cope with going flat even if it just for a year. I have asked for an immediate reconstruction and have an appointment tomorrow to discuss this / I’d really appreciate your advice and your personal experiences since you’ve had your reconstructive surgery - thanks big hugs Susie

Wow Jane, thanks for sharing that post - it made me cry too. There are indeed some lovely people out there.

Evie xx

Thank you for your good wishes, Evie.

Also, Carol Lina, I should add that the knitted knockers are completely free! I only emailed them about ten days ago ( as I only found out about the mastectomy on 18/10) and they rushed through the order as urgent so they arrived a week later, well in time for the surgery. I also order an aqua knocker, which you can use for swimming. 
The knockers arrived in a lovely bag, with a knitted heart, and a lovely card from the knitting volunteer, which made me cry, as she wrote that it was a privilege to knit them for me, and she would happily knit more. There are some truly lovely people around, who are trying to make this ordeal more bearable

Best wishes

Jane xxx

Hi Carol Lina

First of all big hugs to you. It's all a horrible shock and a lot to take in.

I had a mastectomy about 18 months ago, I had an immediate recon with an implant at the same time and then I had radiotherapy after that. I was warned about the risks but my team felt the implant option I went for (pre-pectoral) was fine to go ahead with before radiotherapy.

My boobs don't now match and I haven't got round to looking into nipple reconstruction yet, but I am used to my "new normal" and happy with them. I felt relieved to get rid of the cancer.

Janie123 makes good points about the "knitted knockers". And you can also use a prosthesis that your BCN can help arrange.

Please feel free to ask me any more questions on here or private message if that's easier.

Janie123 - hugs and get well wishes to you too.

Evie xx

Hi Carol Lina

I had a mastectomy yesterday. I had chemotherapy beforehand which resolved the invasive tumour, but my dcis was so large they said mastectomy was the only option and I asked for nipple preservation but this wasn't possible.

I only had two weeks to come to terms with this and I was devastated and traumatised. I asked for a temporary implant at the time of surgery, but this was not possible because I will probably need post-operative radiotherapy and this has a one in four chance of causing complications.

So, at the moment, I would say I am in just a little pain, more soreness than anything. Remember this is only temporary. Apparently the nipple reconstructions can look amazing. Long term, reconstruction can be either flap surgery from your back, stomach,, inner thigh or bottom. Otherwise implants are often possible ( though I have been told it could be tricky to have implant as skin doesn't stretch so easily after radiotherapy).

I can highly recommend you contact ' Knitted Knockers'. They do fabulous lightweight prostheses, with or without a nipple. I chose the latter, and I have put a soft sports type bra on with the knitted knocker in place and you wouldn't know I had had a mastectomy,. I can't quite bring myself to look at the surgical site ( even though there is a dressing on it). But, compared to how I was feeling before surgery, I feel more upbeat today. I think it's a case of adjusting and thinking it won't look like this forever.

Best of luck to you

Jane xxx

Hi Carol Lina

Sorry you are going through this and really sorry you are feeling this way.
I had a mastectomy without reconstruction at the end of September mainly because if you have rads as part of your treatment, it's considered better to wait.
My scar has healed well and is quite thin and I am pleased with how it looks, very grateful that the cancer is gone.
I still have the option to have a reconstruction at a later date, there is no time limit that you have to decide to have one. There are two types of reconstruction, either using an implant or using your own body tissue from elsewhere, from your tummy or back usually.
I hope you find the information you're looking for.
Sending hugs xx

If you had or are going to have a mastectomy

Hey, girls

My doctor alread tolm I'm going to take a mastectomy  and the nipple can't be preserved. I am looking for all kinf of information to try talk to him without tears so... did you have a mastectomy and reconstruction? Which kind of reconstruction? Did you have nipple reconstruction? I don't know which kind there are here in UK. I am glad that reconstruction do exist, but having only a tatoo as a nipple still makes me cry. Even though it is better than nothing, it is still so fake that I am afraid it's not going to stop thinking about what cancer stolen from me and feeling drepressed about that.

Hope you all are feeling as positive as possible today.