cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you had or are going to have a mastectomy

Re: If you had or are going to have a mastectomy

Hi Trixielady Thankyou for your message. My surgery went well. I’ll be honest though I I didn’t expect to feel so rough afterwards 😢 However, I’m improving each day & remain positive. The implant isn’t quite what I expected but of course it isn’t inflated yet, I have to give it time, my problem is that I’m a little impatient. How are you?
Xxx

Oh Helen, I'd like to give you a hug! Please, don't feel scared about the cough, many people are like that lately. It has been so cold! I'm sure it's just a flu and you'll be fine. 😃 When will you get your x-ray result?

Thanks for your tip. I finally got my letter today and my next appointment will be in two weeks. I'm just a bit nervous because my husband will have training at work during the week of my appointment, so I'll be there on my own since my family doesn't speak English 😅

I don't think I'll start rads this month so I'll enjoy this time visiting some cities before my sister goes back in the end of January. My mother, fortunately, can stay until end of February 😃

I'm happy you had a great end of the year and hope everything goes well at work when you go back. Do you have any idea when you will have your implant changed?

I really wanted to give you a real and big hug, so you won't cry anymore. As I can't, I send you good thoughts and love 😃

Take care,

Carol

Hi Jane, I'm happy that you haven't any side effects neither with rads nor herceptin! :-). They suggested me tamoxifen for ten years! I hope I won't have side effects too.

Yes, having my family with me makes me able to smile again and think in other things. I was unsure if I wanted they to come due to the expenses of an overseas trip and because of their jobs, but their bosses were so nice and allowed them to stay for long. I realised it was the best decision, I really needed them here(not that they had asked me. They just came ASAP lol) :-)

Really happy for you to be ending your treatment!

Take care😊

Hi Carol

Good to 'hear' from you - Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year.  It's great you have your family here for a while - how long are they here for?

I think it's bad that you haven't had your follow up appointment - it's such an anxious time and if you had a date it would be easier for you i'm sure - it would be even better if your family were still here to support you -whatever the outcome. If the BCN is not replying to e-mails do you have a phone number for your consultant's secretary - I'd be phoning them I think.

I had a good Christmas and New Year but I've developed a really bad cough which is getting worse each day. I ended up going to my doctor and he has sent me for a chest x-ray - which I had today. I just hope nothing 'bad' shows up on it now. I'm sure it's my mind going into overdrive and imagining every ache and pain is something serious.

I know what you mean about feeling 'weepy' - I did end up crying at the doctors yesterday - no idea why.

I'm hoping to go back to work the week after next on 14th Jan - thats the plan anyway - although I will have to have more time off to have the implant exchanged etc.

Take care and keep in touch

Love

Helen

xxx

Hi Stargazer1 , hope this finds you recovering well from your operation , hopefully the new year can set us all off with positive attitudes , sending love and hugs x

Hi Carol Lina

Happy New Year! It is so nice to read your post, and you sound so much happier. The family being with you must give you such a boost!

I went back to work on Wednesday, mornings only until my radiotherapy finishes on 10th January. I am not working today though. 

I have had ten radiotherapy sessions and I have found them really easy. No tiredness or soreness. I can't wait to ring that bell. I still have to have Herceptin injections, three weekly, til June, but there have been no side-effects, so I will feel that next Thursday is really the end of treatment ( until my reconstruction !).

Good luck with the rest of your treatment

Love Jane xx

Hey ladies, how was Christmas time and New Year eve? I hope you all have enjoyed it despite the circumstances. I have been very happy since my family is finally here. I couldn't help but dried a lot when I saw them at the airport (I had never been emotional but nowadays everything makes me cry haha). Now I'm a bit anxious again because I haven't received a letter yet for my next appointment before radiotherapy and my BC nurse doesn't reply my emails anymore so I have no idea about the next step of my treatment. I also had a nightmare yesterday that I hadn't got clear margins and clear sentinel biopsy(that made more anxious) but my family being here are great to cheer me up again.

It would be great to hear from you all. I have been thinking how you are and wishing strongly that you're all fine and happy 😊

Jane, are you back to work? How is it going?

Wish you all a great weekend!

Carol xx
Cel

Hi Evie

Thank you, I'm really pleased for you. i think its important that we hear the positive outcomes as well as the risks. I will continue to do my research, so thank you for the link.  Problem with research is I have hundreds of questions now in my head (LOl) 

Thank you all again.  Cel

Hi Cel

Touch wood the radiotherapy didn’t affect my implant - I don’t know if it can impact further down the line, I’m 18 months post surgery so hoping all is stable now. Google “pre pectoral implant with Braxon” if you would like more info on the implant I had.

It’s always tough weighing up the options especially when different surgeons are prepared to offer different options. All the best and I’m happy to answer any more questions any time.

Evie xx

Stargazer , all the best for whatever 2019 holds onwards and upwards positive thoughts sending love & hugs , I smiling today I've just had 50 MLS of saline solution inflating my boobie today , it was pain free xx
Cel

Hi Stargazer

Thank you for your reply. From my own research one of the issues with radiotherapy first is that some reconstruction surgeons are concerned with the quality of the skin post radiotherapy and this can reduce their options or what they can do afterwards - so this seem a risk also to me to wait post radiotherapy. I want to see both surgeons before i finalise my decision - if I'm given an option - and be able to have all the information to hand. its the only way i know personally that i will be comfortable with what i finally have to proceed with.

I do hope your reconstruction goes excellently - good luck and if you feel up to it keep me and other forum members posted?

Cel

Thank you that is really helpful, especially to know that your consultants were prepared to go with the immediate reconstruction. I may have to have an implant subject to another surgeon reviewing me this week about the autologous option - so yes it would be nice to hear how your radiotherapy has impacted - if at all. Please do let me know.

Whilst  they tell you the risk - e.g. with implant approx 26-28% of capsulisation or other skin tightening issues , they don't say that this mean 72% of women were fine.

Hi Maxi63

Welcome to the forum, where you will find lots of support and understanding. You may want to find the chats with ladies who didn’t have a reconstruction, as they will be able to answer all your questions. Try searching on here for an appropriate thread or call the helpline.

If you have concerns about the fluid do give your BCN a call as she will be able to reassure you. Itching around the sites is very normal, but again do speak to your BCN if anything at all is worrying you.

Big hugs to you

Evie xx

Hi Stargazer1

I wanted to wish you all the best for your operation on 2 Jan. Sorry to hear that you are going through it again. Your first post was very positive, but it’s totally understandable to have a wobble while in M&S. You will wear nice underwear again. You’ve already had lots of good info from other ladies, so I’ll just second what they have said. The drain bag was really useful - I got mine from Drain Dollies, but for anyone reading this who can’t get hold of one in time you can definitely make some sort of device yourself so that you can walk around and not worry about the drains. Also front opening clothes are a must, it took me a long time to be able to get clothes over my head and my arms in that way (I also had node clearance).

Evie xx

Hi Cel

I’ve just read your post asking about immediate reconstruction and just want to offer my own experience. I had a mastectomy about 18 months ago with immediate recon using an implant. I then went on to have radiotherapy after that. I too was advised about the risks but I had a “pre pectoral” (on top of the muscles) implant held inside a Braxon mesh which I was told reduced the risks of radiotherapy damaging it. I think though that you would prefer a recon using your own tissue. I’m happy to answer any questions if you decide to go for an implant. All the very best to you for your operation and recovery, and deciding which option to go for.

Evie xx

Trixiady I know I feel the same. I’ve never used a forum before but have found it comforting and informative. I like being in control & organised and this has helped me to be like that if only a little bit. I’m still struggling with the ‘why me?’ Am I a bad person? Have I done something wrong? but I guess that’s natural. I hope you get your dates soon, and then can plan the rest of the year, it feels like life’s on hold doesn’t it, I’ve just had to cancel a holiday in Feb but there’ll be others 😄 Stay positive and Thankyou xx

Hi Cal Sorry to heat you have to go through another operation. I’m not in a situation like you but I have previously had radiotherapy on the same breast as I’m having reconstruction on. My surgeon says there are risks as the skin may have changed but she seems confident. I am having a mastectomy & a permanent expander on Wednesday xx
Cel

Hi I have just had a lumpectomy and unfortunately they found the lump was twice the size the MRI scan showed. therefore my surgeon has advised i now move to a full mastectomy. I want to have  immediate reconstruction, but my surgeon is reluctant stating that radiotherapy may impact quality of it - i have undertaken my own research and understand the risks, but immediate reconstruction ( autologous) not implant is my preference, and this appears to carry less risk of being impacted by radiotherapy than an implant also.

Can any of you ladies who have had immediate reconstruction advise if you have had follow up radiotherapy and how that went?

Thanks C

Hopefully your feeling more settled now and we will wear all that lovely underwear once treatment is over and we're back on track positive thoughts really help ,I'm not brilliant using these forums but try my best , as i find them a comfort , I'm waiting for my booking appointment , it feels strange I want it to start so it will finish and hopefully life will return to normal xx

Hi Melanie Thankyou so much for your reply. You sound so positive. I’ve been really good so far but have had ‘a wobble’ whilst walking through the lingerie in M&S today, wondering if I’ll ever wear nice underwear again! I bought some non wired bras, a support cami & some button front pjs. I guess it’s the time of year as well. I’m not very good with medical things ie drains, and i think I’ve left it too late to get a bag for them, I’ll have a look in Matalan as Trixiladybsuggested.. Thankyou for the tip about a pillow I’ll definately get that. Xx