10-02-2018 05:58 PM
Hi Shocked - I'm glad to read your great news that you are now cancer free and that your scans are clear. I hope all goes as smoothly as possible with chemo and rads. Have you found the monthly chemo groups for those going through chemo at the same time as you?
08-02-2018 03:44 PM
Thanks Evie just shaved off my hair and I'm ready for chemo round 2 on Tuesday - time is flying so it'll all be over and can get on with life. The rads side does concern me a little with the recon but the Consultant Oncologist and the Surgeon were both pretty confident about it - I trust the team who are all amazing. I was told yesterday that I can consider myself cancer free the surgery got it (I could have kissed the consultant I am so used to bad news) all my bone and CT scans have come back clear so the chemo and rads are being done to try and stop it coming back. I can see the end in sight.
Hope all goes smoothly for you xx
07-02-2018 02:17 PM
Shocked - just wanted to wish you all the best for your chemo and radiotherapy, and that your implant won't be affected. It's good that your oncologist is saying it won't be affected, that is reassuring to me too.
07-02-2018 01:55 PM
I've had similar surgery to Evie with the braxon implant but at the time it was though I would not be having radiotherapy however since then it's been decided that I needed chemo followed by radiotherapy though the oncologist has said he feels that the implant won't be affected by the radiotherapy - I certainly hope not as I really want to avoid more surgery if I can help it. K
07-02-2018 09:19 AM
I totally get how you are feeling. There seem to be all kinds of decisions to make, not much time to make them and confusing info. So I'll tell you a bit about my story and hope that helps a bit.
I had a mastectomy and node clearance last May, and an immediate recon using a pre-pectoral silicone implant. I had chemo before surgery and radiotherapy after. This implant goes in front of the chest muscle rather than underneath and is supported in a mesh, think it's called Braxon. There is a risk to the implant if you are having radiotherapy afterwards because it can cause capsular contracture, so some surgeons won't do implants before radiotherapy. My plastic surgeon discussed the risks with me and we decided to go ahead because this type of implant I believe carries a smaller risk. Touch wood so far mine has been fine and I haven't needed more surgery.
You are raising very good questions and your team should be able to answer your concerns and explain the risks. Please feel free to ask me any further questions on here or via private message if that helps.
I wish you all the very best with whatever decision you make.
06-02-2018 11:48 PM
Hi I was told I would having a lumpectomy but now after my MRI scan (I have had 5 months of Chemotherapy) its been decided that I need a mastectomy.
This new decision has been a bit of shock but I am being offered a silcone breast reconstruction at the same time. Which I am confused about having done as I will need Radiotherapy after my mastectomy.
I have been told this means that the implant will get ruined and I will need surgery again. So I am thinking then whats the point into rushing into this as I have only been given 1 week to decide.
I feel like I am being pushed into a corner by my surgeon and nurse into getting this done.
Has anyone recently been through this? And what are your thoughts of getting a breast implant done first? Then getting another reconstruction done after Radiotherapy?
Can anyone tell me of their experience of this please, I am very confused and anxious now as I need to make my decision soon.