I’m new to the forum, and have a question about ANC. I’m back from hospital today after 2nd lumpectomy and ANC. I have a question about the drain. I’ve asked my nurses about wearing my surgery bra over the drain and I’ve had differing advice. I can’t have the drain outside the bra as the drain tube is pointing down, but with the bra on, I’m worried that it might constrict the tube. I like my bra on as my breasts are large, even the lumpectomy one. Ive loosened the bra as much as I can. I’m thinking about taking it off to sleep.
i hope you’re doing well now, Bluetit and Evie.
Thanks for any advice.
My third op will be January 10th for full node clearance and rereexcision. At least I have a couple of weeks of normality. Bless your little girl Bluetit with her satsuma. How are you getting on?
No I dont mind you asking. Its probably quite therapeutic to start from beginning. In the summer I was laying on a sunbed at the bottom of the garden as it was the coolest place. One of my dogs jumped on top of me and a few days later I noticed a swelling on my right boob. I waited and waited and it didnt go down and then I noticed what I thought was dimpling. Had mammogram and core biopsy but the surgeon told me there and then that it was bad but early. Had therapeutic mammoplasty and snb at the end of October. The invasive tumour was 21mm but they found areas of DCIS in 3 of the margins which my surgeon was really shocked about and also one out of two lymph nodes were positive. It was graded as Stage 2b grade 2 but the staging could well change. Went in again at the end of Nov for anc and margins but they didnt do anc due to pressures of work and an admin error. Now just one lateral margin was not big enough by 1mm. Surgeon said I have to have anc and guidelines state mx but they offered me the choice one last time which I am telling them tomorrow I will take otherwise I have been through everything so far for nothing. If this is not clear then I will definitely have to had a mx. I want to keep my boob as it is still a decent size. I am absolutely gutted to be having my third surgery and also the anc as I am so terrified of lymphodema but I am just praying that my breast can be saved. In a way I am thinking that if they hadnt omitted the anc last time I wouldnt have been given the choice so I am trying to think fate has a part to play. The surgeon still tells me it is early but in my mind it cant be that early as it has already spread to at least one lymph node but he says it is graded by the size of the tumour. So thats where I am but I am having so many nasty thoughts that I just cant get them out of my head. I am thinking that it is a lot worse than they think, that it has spread everywhere and I cant take much more and this is meant to the be easy bit. Maybe I will feel better tomorrow once I have spoken to surgeon again ... What about you, what is your story? Oh and forgot to say the tumour was ER pos and HER neg so I will have hormone treatment eventually and also prob radiotherapy and not sure about chemo yet
Hi Bluetit, how you doing? havent got a date yet but may find out tomorrow when I see surgeon again to sign consent forms. They were talking first week of Jan. My bcn did mention there was a list on NYE but wouldnt be fair on my support network as someone has to stay at my house to look after my animals. Am really not looking forward to it but we have agreed I am not ready emotionally for a mx yet so I will have the re reexcision as well as the anc. Will let you know when I know xx
Bluetit - I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling great, that was a really positive post for anyone else to read. Keep doing those arm exercises is my only advice now! And rest and let others take care of you for a while.
Daisydi - big hugs and strength coming your way too for you operations. I've had mx and full clearance so happy to chat if that helps at all.
So Bluetit I will be joining you fo a full node clearance not sure if it will be Dec or the first week of Jan. I am also having a third re excision as one of my margins was 1mm short. I really didnt want this either. I also have the option of total mx but dont think I can deal with this as well. Let me know how you get on
Bluetit - I meant to add the contact details for Lymphoedema Support Network: www.lymphoedema.org, 020 7351 4480, I found them on a Breast Cancer Care leaflet.
Hi Bluetit - really sorry to hear your news, but I wish you all the best for the next surgery and a quick recovery. As Daisydi says, you can do it and we are all here to support you. Please do feel free to ask any questions and I will try to reassure you - I tried everything not to have a clearance but I've since learned what to avoid to decrease my risks of lymphoedema. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there and in particular the Macmillan leaflets can scare you. I contacted the lymphoedema society and they were very reassuring.
There is never a great time for surgery, but try to focus on the fact that you will be cancer free by Christmas - you probably already are if they have taken away 4 nodes. I remember a lovely nurse saying to me that I owed it to myself to throw everything I could at my tumours to get rid of them - this was as I was considering doing a runner from hospital!!
Please come back and let us know how you are after surgery.
Hugs, Evie xx
Good for you bluetit! That's a step to far by way of "just in case" considering they have the means to check your nodes before doing an ANC , it may well be that you do need one but so far everything is pointing towards you not! Worries me that consultants think they can go ahead and do these things and not everyone would question it 🤔
Im glad you asked us and we've all given you reason enough to question it, of course we all want rid of our cancer and would do whatever is nessecary but no one wants to go through a procedure they don't need, all the best with your op and I hope you get the best outcome Xx Jo