What does your durgeon and bcn think?
My surgeon seemed keen to go with surgery 3 so I took his advice. I was asked if I would look back and regret that I did not make an effort to keep my breast. Though I did get the impression that surgery 4 would be mx.
I did wonder though whether I should have spared myself the uncertainty and another GA and just get the whole thing sorted for good. 3 in the morning is a helluva time for worrying
So sorry to hear youi have to have ANC as well
I don't thiing there is a right or wrong decision. Whatever you choose the nasties will be gone in the end .
It's so nice to be moving on. I felt like the odd one out for so long... everyone else I ever met moved on leaving me still with more surgery to get through.
Now to get to the chemist with the presciption . Just hope I don't get the nasty side-effects
Hope you get the HER results soon -please let us know. 5 weeks to results -agony
fingers crossed for you xx
Willowherb think you have just made my mind up for me. Just been for my results from my second surgery and one lateral margin was not clear by 1mm. I have to go in for anc anyway and I think I am going for third time lucky too otherwise it will be mx but I feel that I should give it one more go. Glad that all your surgery is over with. Ive got a week to make up my mind ...
Great news Willowherb, so pleased for you!
After what seemed like the longest 5 weeks I saw my consultant today, and yay like you the re-excision worked. Clear margins, and nothing in the sentinel lymph node either. Hurray!
So like you I will therefore be moving onwards, but the only fly in the ointment is that they still don’t have a HER2 outcome for me - first sample was ‘technically’ a failure, so sent off again and this time came back inconclusive, so off it’s gone for a third time. Results either this Friday or next. Really hoping that it comes back HER2 neg not positive so that I don’t have to make the decision re chemo or not.
Well it was 3rd time lucky for me
All the DCIS is cleared and no more surgery needed.- thank goodness as not sure I could face another re-excision
Will now graduate to the radiotherapy and hormone treatment threads - yey!
Thanks for your best wishes and hugs... Will let you know when I get the next results
Gotta stay positive about this!
Just wanted to wish you the very best for OP Nr 3. I also hope that the wound is going to heal as quickly as possible afterwards. I so feel with you - re hugs and fears of being bumped into by strangers, and trying to get used to looking different, again. I cross all fingers and toes for the best possible outcome for you this time round.
All the best, xxx
Thanks so much for your warm words - I'm sorry to hear you're facing such a long wait. Fingers crossed you'll get the best possible news when results come.
Glad to hear you're keeping busy and that you're going back to work. A change of focus is such a healthy thing!
I'm now waiting for the Oncotype test results, have a fertility clinic appointment coming up tomorrow, and still don't know whether Chemo will be recommended/beneficial or not, but I've decided to make the most of the 'waiting time', will try to work more again (I'm self-employed) and keep myself busy with whatever seems 'normal' or helpful in the short and/or the long run.
Wishing you all the best,
Coco - so sorry you have to wait so long for results of #2, I hope to be getting my #3 by then and I haven't had the op yet. It's the waiting that really gets to you...
Op soon and then another 3 weeks of nightly crop top wearing, bracing myself for removing the dressings after 1 week and seeing how changed I am again... and even more weeks of no real hugs and being stressed in crowds about getting bumped...
If it gets rid of it it will be worth it... though at the back of my mind at 5am is still the what if?
Thank you all for the virtual hugs!!
Hi Rapunzel glad to hear your re-excision results were good and you can move on to the next stage.
Willowherb so sorry your news wasn’t as positive. I hope your new surgery date isn’t too long. I’m one week on from my re-excision and won’t get a results clinic till 12 Dec so that’s going to be a very anxious wait. Part of me is thinking yep, it’s all out so delay not a problem and another part is going but what if .....
Coping by getting lots of jobs done off the “things to do sometime” list, and I’m going back to work on Thursday for a complete change of focus. Just two days a week basic admin job non stress ... if I was still teaching I wouldn’t be going back lol!
Hugs to all on this thread.
I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope that you'll get clear margins this time round. Is the surgery soon (to avoid further delays)?
Sending you big hugs,
Great news re your clear margins.
WIllowherb I’m sorry you’re having to go in for another op. So hope that this time your surgeon manages to get everything. Good luck xxx
You must be so pleased to be clear...
Afarid I am not and my surgeon is going in for a tthird time
What a pest this all is!
Thank you! Thankfully, the margins were clear the second time round. Now I'm waiting for the appointment with the oncologist to discuss further steps. The surgeon and breast cancer nurse mentioned that an Oncotype test may be suggested. That might delay finalizing a treatment plan. Well, we'll see. It is still a bit of a waiting game at the moment, but just now I'm happy I don't have to go back for surgery a third time round.
Just wanted to send my besdt wishes to you for a good outcome today and that they are ablet o finalise your treatment plan
Getting results today re re-excision. Can't deny I'm rather nervous. Let's hope they got it all this time round, and that we can move on and discuss/set up a treatment plan now. Please keep fingers crossed, everyone! Thanks!
PS: I found an article that looked at women with several re-excisions. Four was the maximum recorded in this study (and very rare), I believe.
How are you doing? I hope well. The waiting (and everything else ;-) is getting on my nerves, too.
I should get my results this Wednesday. Fingers crossed margins will be clear this time. Yes, fishing in the dark - that's what it feels like.
I wouldn't want reconstruction either, to begin with, but let's just hope for both of us that we can keep our somewhat smaller breasts.
Wishing you all the best,
Hi Rapunzel - glad to see you were done with no problems - how long do you have to wait for results?
The info I have is that the pre-cancer is only visible in the lab so 'fishing in the dark' is how I would describe my experience.
If there was a reasonable chance then I think I would go for a lumpectomy again, though I did notice today that my boob is noticeably smaller now than the other.
I don't fancy reconstruction if I have to have a mx (even though the tummy tuck sounds useful) . But I don't want to lose it at all really.
It's just all the waiting, and recovery time , over and over....
I'm also back from the second round of anesthesia land. Apparently it all went smoothly (that's what the surgeon said) - fingers crossed I don't have to go for a third round. I was also less nervous the second time round, and I have the feeling that because it was a shorter operation, recovery might also be a little swifter. Anesthesia was different for me, too (different doctor - different drugs, I wish they would tell us more about what we're being given).
Willowherb: I've been told that some ladies need three operations (not sure about more, though). If the margin is not clear this time, I'll have to have a good think about what to do next - and a good, long talk with the surgeon. I'd probably go for a third operation, but I'm beginning to wonder whether there might be ways of checking how big this thing really is. I haven't had an MRI so far, for instance, but I'm not sure it would show up on that.
Anyone any experience, ideas with regard to this?