61139members
322323posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any service evaluations from Trusts to support dedicated SBC nurse service?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Any service evaluations from Trusts to support dedicated SBC nurse service?

Hi Glenda

Hopefully someone in Clinical Practice (rather than me) will reply soon.  I'm trying to think who might help you best - I'll have a think and email you.

Catherine

Any service evaluations from Trusts to support dedicated SBC nurse service?

Dear All

Last week after asking for over a year we had a meeting with a Nurse consultant from the Health and Social Care Board/Public Health Authority here in Northern Ireland. They commission and fund the national health service here in NI.

We completed the Secondary Pledge last year.
At the meeting I presented the Improvement goals from our pledge and clearly highlighted patients and health professionals  needs and wishes for a dedicated SBC Nurse in our Trust.

She said they may consider looking at this regionally but she is requesting more information.

She has said that she has been told 'that many Trusts in mainland UK who introduced dedicated SBC nurses have said with hindsight they would do it differently if doing it all again'  and would employ more BCN's/CNS's to cover the whole diagnosis/treatment trajectory rather than having specific nurses for specific stages.

I was wondering if any of you have particular evidence from your own Trusts to either support or refute this option.  I know there is plenty of evidence from Breast Cancer Care but she is requesting information from hospital Trusts.

She is prepared to bring an evidence paper to the Commissioners to at least start the conversation....a starting point but a very long way to go.

If you've made it to the end of this email - Thank You!

Kind regards,

Glenda