Re: Tightness around chest after bi lateral mastectomy ??

Hi Rosie, looks like our mx was the same time then, July 14.  Have you asked ur nurse about this tightness? U r right, it is a bit like a bp machine feeling!  I hope my nurse is wrong in that it may never go now.....

Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Hi ladies!
I am so glad to find some others going through what I am! It is 13 months since my db mx and the feeling I have had since the beginning is tightness a bit like a blood pressure machine blowing up.and squeezing! I first thought it was the stitches pulling, bit they were removed and I still had the feeling. So I put it down to the tissue expanders. I had to have one removed in Jan due to repeated infection. But I still had the feeling. Two months ago I had the silicone implants put in but guess what ? .... I still have the same awful feeling!😒 I use bio oil each day!

Hi Lolly ,

So sorry to hear that you are still in so much pain after so long , that is really horrid . 

My first mx was in Jan 2015 , and my second was only in June 2015  , so both fairly recent . I haven't even worn a bra since my second .....and like you can't turn over in bed , can only sleep on my back as both sides hurt too much to put any pressure on them !!! I have also had two WLE on my first scar due to recurrence , so that puts extra tension on my skin in that area, pulling and feeling tight etc . 

I am just getting round to thinking about a bra and prosthesis , but haven't felt I could cope with the rubbing before now .

Hope things improve for us all in time ...

Hugs,

Jill

Hi Jill, can I ask when u had most recent mx?

I had mine 13 months ago and the tightness and pain is still so bad I cant be without a bra, even in bed. I find the bra relieves it in some way. I cant really massage as ribs etc too tender to touch, due to rads I had 7 years ago when I had wle. Still cant turn over in bed. Hoping for improvement but my nurse says it may never go......

Thanks Ash , good to hear that I am not the only one with this sensation .

I too have not had recon . mine were done in two stages , first in Jan and second in June , plus two WLE for recurrence in scar since then , latest only in July ...so my scars are still quite fresh . I have tried Bio oil and also used Dermol lotion/cream  on them , plus the more gentle exercises on the leaflet . Hopefully in time it will all improve .

Hugs,

Jill xx

Hi Jill

I had bilateral mx (no recon) in April. Straight after I felt fine with no pain or discomfort but that didn't last. Soon I felt like I was wearing a bra a few sizes too small. It will probably be the scar tissue building up. I found the best thing is to do the exercises they give you and also to massage the scars and scar tissue. I used bio oil until I developed a rash to it so switched to e45 or sudocrem.

Persevere. It does get better. I'm almost pain free apart from on one side which is more due to a prominent rib. Unfortunately its the side I always used to sleep on and I can't get comfortable now as I've lost my padding.

Luv x

Tightness around chest after bi lateral mastectomy ??

After having two mastectomies  , one radical and one not ... i find that I have a constant tight band type feeling around my chest . Discomfort rather than pain ...and it could also sometimes be described as feeling as if I have a plank of wood pressing on my chest . 

Is this common , and does it improve with time ? Anybody got any ideas or suggestions .

Hugs,

Jill xxx