Highlighted

Re: Are you happy with your reconstruction?

I had a radical mastectomy done Sept 2016, followed by reconstruction.  I have had nothing but pain and problems.  I have had a total of 8 surgeries, replacement of the exspander, removal of the expander and breast implant placement.  It was replaced a second time, I developed large amounts of scar tissue, that was cut away and finally leaving the implant out.  However, I developed chronic seroma that had to be constantly drained.  I have so much pain to my left chest, left armpit and also scapula region. Its been over 2 years.

Re: Tightness around chest after bi lateral mastectomy ??

I had a bilateral mastectomy last September and I still get the tightness in the chest and under arm.

First thing in the morning and later in the evening are the worse times for me.

Exercise really does help together with daily moisturising the areas with E45.

No short term answer - on researching it would appear it can go on for 3/5 years.... x

I too had a had bilateral mastectomy about ten weeks ago, and would recommend you try and get some more physiotherapy? I am still having regular sessions, and it does help a lot as she massages the scars which definitely reduces the tightness. I am massaging them myself using bio oil, but I don't think that helps as much. I also do the recommended exercises at least three times a day, I find first thing in the morning my chest scars feel pretty tight but stretching e.g by raising my arms as high as they can go, reduces the tightness. 

I wonder how how long other people carry on with the exercises post mastectomy? Any advice from anyone?

I am two months post bilateral mastectomy.  Tightness in chest and underarm area is quite severe and very uncomfortable.  Had physical therapy which did wonders for my arm but did not help the tight feeling.  Wish I had better news and would appreciate any info on this.  Oh, I had previously had radiation on the same Breast albeit 19 years ago.

I am two months post bilateral mastectomy.  Tightness in chest and underarm area is quite severe and very uncomfortable.  Had physical therapy which did wonders for my arm but did not help the tight feeling.

Hello Sandra

Thank you for your reply.

I had my original implant removed and had a more natural implant inserted on 5th June (not an expander as per original implant)

Very smooth op, no pain only tenderness, final stitches out this Friday.

So far, I am glad I took that desicion to have it done, more natural look although my other boob probably needs a lift now, but that can be sorted out with bras  .Smiley Very Happy  Only time will tell I guess if all OK and do not get any infection for it to be rejected.

Kind regards

Lisa

Hi Lisa, 

Just seen your question, what did you opt for in the end?.

I had the expander in 2015 however a week later it rejected leaving no option but to remove it leaving a hefty hole which took 3 months to heal. 

I have no intention of having another implant. But life as a solo boober isn't as bad as what some may think. I know age and size of boobage is a factor. 

Hope all is well. 

Sandra

Are you happy with your reconstruction?

[ Edited ]

Hello All

I had a mastectomy in July 2016 followed by an immediate reconstruction of a BECKER™ Expander/Breast Implant, however, after finishing chemo and radiation my implant is hard and uncomfortable.

I have discussed this with my breast cons. over the months and due to have symptoms of a Capsular contracture http://www.aurora-clinics.co.uk/breast/capsular-contracture-after-breast-enlargement-what-is-it-and-...  my cons. is going to do a reconstruction putting in a more natural implant in the next month.  

My only concern is that should an infection occur than the implant would be removed and I would have no breast until a time when using my own tissue could be implanted. So should I have it done or just put up with it as it is?

Has anyone else had issues with their reconstruction and had it redone.

Would really appreciate feedback, thank you

Lisa

Hi Loubylou
Interested to hear about silicone gel sheets. I don’t know anything about them and how they work? My tightness is still there, and not getting any better really. I’m seeing physio regularly and she does soft tissue massage which has relieved the top most layer I think. But the tightness is much deeper in, not just on the surface. I found out about deep friction massage but that sounds quite aggressive - with suction and pummelling by a small gadget! Too risky for my ribs apparently. Am being referred back to my oncologist now. Will let you know what I find out there. I suspect he’s going to say, again, that I must wait patiently for it to improve. But info about the silicone sheets would be good if you have a minute. x

I have found silicone gel sheets have helped enormously in softening the scar area. They are around £15 each but you only need one per breast as you wash them each day. They make any lingerie more comfortable , can be barely seen and help with the scaring. I have had my reconstruction reconstructed due to capsular contracture thereby scar tissue on scar tissue. Hope this helps. 

Hello August13
I’m not sure if you still look at these pages, but I’m trying to find ways of relieving the tightness across my chest (double mastectomy October 2017) and tightness of scar. I saw that you had some info that might help and wonder if you still have access to it and could direct me? I’m have radiotherapy at the moment so can’t do any massaging, but could hopefully do exercises to relieve the very tight feeling. Haven’t been able to see the physio still as the appointment was cancelled due to her cold, so it’s been a long wait for guidance!

How is your tight band now? Hope you are feeling strong now.

Thank you x

Yes please August13, info would b great x

I had the same after single mastectomy without recon. Physio taught me exercises which really helped.
To break up the adhesions that I had.
Can send info on next post if you like

I am now just over a year since mx (no recon) not quite a year post rads. It has taken time, but the tightness is pretty much gone (I still go the exercises most days). It's still not wholly comfortable to lie on my left side, but it's certainly better than it was, and I can sleep on it for a while before I have to roll off it. I know some people are really unlucky and never stop having pain. That is not often the case though,

I had mastectomy aug14 had a lot of probe with seroma  non boob still tight and swollen dr says its haematoma can't be drained last time they tried got 30mls and didn't make me ch difference to constant discomfort  only option now open scar and clear out blood but no guarantee it won't come back so dr reluctant to operate gets me down at times then I get cross with myself because there are people a lot worse off . I use brufen gel but it's very sticky and sometimes my non boob feels itchy so then I just moisturise best wishes to all DEN

Community Champion

Im a bit late joining in on this thread but just wanted to say that I had a single masectomy last April and I too have the tight band feeling.  i also get a sensation of someone lifting me under the arm!  the Physio told me it was scar tissue and that the best thing I can do is to keep the exercises going daily.

The door jamb one where you stand side ways on with arm stretch out onto door and then slowly turn away until it is stretched -hold for a minute - i find really good at relieveing the tightness but you have to do it several times plus several times a day until it has relaxed then keep topping it up daily. When I do them am much better I must admit!  However been away for  three weeks and didnt do them and the tightness is back.  Lesson learnt.  For the feeling of something under my arm he told to lay down and do a corkscrew twist with affected arm out streched -really works. Am hoping that in time it will heal and stop happening and I wont have to ekep doing the exercises....

I do wish they warned you beforehand as i had no idea this was likely to happen. 

Hi Rosie

I had implants and could have them straight away as I opted for smaller boobs, I was quite large before

and hated them so now have small ones. 2 tumours in my right breast and left remved too as family histor.

I really felt like I would never get any better, but things do improve and I am getting used to them slowly..I just realised last night that i have forgotten what my nipples look like as i don't have any now...I don't miss

them and don't think I will have tattoos...but it was realising that I can't remembe when i did have them...I'm sure that doesn't make much sense lol.

Use bio oil on your scars if you can

takr care xx

Community Champion

Hi ditsy65 what sort of reconstruction did you have??

Hi Ladies

I had my db masectomy last October with immeadiate recon, and I thought the tightness would

never go away. I wear a bra all the time at night too as I feel it gives me support!!!!

The tightness does go away gradually, it does take time but it will improve

Wishing you all the best xx

Community Champion

Hi Lolly July 14 must have been a bad month!!! I live in Cyprus so things are rather different! Every time I went to see my surgeon I told him about the tightness and he just said it would get easier in time!!! Not yet!!! I hope your nurse is wrong too! Keep,in touch good to find someone that understands the awful feeling!🙀