Re: Refused reconstruction because my BMI is over 30 is this usual practice

Emsx - it’s horrible isn’t it and I’m sick of jumping through hoops, I’m happy with my weight now, really don’t feel that I need to loose any more. Has anyone told you why? I just have a feeling it’s a cost saving exercise rather than us really needing to have a BMI under 30.

I had a double MX and they are telling me the same I have to lose my last stone before they will even put me on the list I’m so upset I wanted to lose it before Xmas so I can get in the list and have surgery by July next year it’s so unfair why not put me on the list and by that time next year I would have lost the weight it’s not them living through this feeling of loss and womanhood
Community Manager

Hi jellyjem

Sorry to hear your concerns. Hopefully other Forum users who have experienced a similar situation will respond soon. In the meantime, if you would like to talk things through our breast care nurses are available between 9am-1pm. You can call them free on our Helpline on 0808 800 6000. They'll be able to offer further information about reconstruction and BMI.

Best wishes

Nik

Forum Moderator

Highlighted

Refused reconstruction because my BMI is over 30 is this usual practice

I had a left side only mastectomy 2 years ago and was told at the time I couldn’t have an immediate reconstruction as my BMI was too high. I have since lost 5 stone but have about another stone to loose and I just can’t shift it. I’ve been the same weight for most of this year. Go to slimming World, do Zumba twice a week and the gym twice a week so I’m quite fit now but I just can’t shift this last stone.

Has anyone had a reconstruction with a higher BMI? I’m wondereing why I need to loose yet more weight,