325388posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hurrah Prosthetics Nurse

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Hurrah Prosthetics Nurse

Hi Chick - belated thanks for your advice. I’m seeing my GP this week for my new patient appointment so will get some info about local hospitals and prosthesis clinics. It’s always helpful to be armed with info before I go, so thank you.

Best wishes to you

Evie xx

Community Champion

Hello Evie, 

I wouldn't get too hung up on the time frames.  Yes we should look after our free boobs and ensure they last at least  the expected 2 years or so but if circumstances change or they are ill fitting then just book a reassessment appointment.  This is how I have ended up with three permanent prostheses in 2 years!!  You are also in a new area so maybe they will treat you as a newbie. Even if someone was not given another freebie for whatever reason,  I don't see why we cannot use these facilities to try different things because sometimes it is a bit difficult to know what to order and buy without trying.  You might want to also look up if Amoena or similar stockists have any agents near your area as you can arrange an appointment with them (although you would need to pay for any purchase).   What is important is that you are comfortable and it is not cumbersome.  With the three prostheses I have been through,  once dressed,  I don't even really feel them and for the most part can forget they are there as so light and comfy. 

For my original NHS clinic,  I just used to ring up directly (did this right from the start because no one bothered to organise even a temp comfy or visit after surgery).  I made my own boob originally.  For the other clinic I have  just used, I had to go through their breast care unit and then going through the GP was mentioned.  I just put my fed up voice on.... What a waste of  my time and a GP appointment.... What is it to do with them... Blah Blah  and next minute they said an appointment was available in two weeks time.  

By the way,  when  I got my first NHS permanent, I asked about the contact (stick on)  ones.  I was told you could only be assessed for these a year after surgery.  Hence,  I arranged an appointment a year later and ended up with the contact one which was a really good fit at the time (you can wear them as stick on or put a cover on and use in a bra pocket etc.).  When I lost some weight recently,  that became ill fitting and confidence zapping.  Hence the arrangement of the third appointment that ended in Grrh!  Never mind,  good comes out of bad as I then tried the other NHS clinic and not only ended up with my new appropriate comfy boob, but an excellent free bra and 2 more on order at very competitive prices (but no additional cost to NHS as the price is reduced due to the amount they order). 

Good luck, 

Chick 🐣 x

Thanks so much Chick. Yes of course, this thread is much more appropriate for my question. 

I think I read that I’m only entitled to another clinic visit after 3 years, and I’ve had mine 2. Not actually sure where I read that though. Maybe I should check with my new local hospital. I don’t think I was offered any alternatives, just this great heavy think that makes me so hot. I can now go armed with info, thank you. 

Evie xx

Community Champion

Hello Evie, 

Thought it made sense to answer your query on this Post rather than the Hormone Thread post. 

Well done for organising the house move. It's taken me over 3 years to fully commit to a move I am supposed to be making.... And on it goes 😱

How awful if you find your prosthesis hot and heavy.  I hope you can get something more suitable.  Are you due a clinic visit soon or are you thinking of a private fitting? 

I am relatively small chested -36b before it was lobbed off.   I think the pathology report said the total  bundle weighed about 350g or so.  I think sometimes we don't realise how much our boobs can weigh!!

Before my recent weight loss, when I wore the Amoena Contact form,  my weight went up 500g!! I don't think it weighs that much but don't have it to hand at the mo so can't check.  It was the latest light contact type although I used to wear it as contact and non contact. 

My first non contact was an Amoena Natura Light size 5. I have just weighed it at 246g.  My new one is an Amoena Natura Xtra lite size 4 and just weighed it at 150g.  It feels so light when on /when in the bra pocket.  Love it!!

I really hope you manage to find the most comfortable one for you. 

🤗 chick 🐣 x

Jan - that's hilarious! Thanks for sharing that story and making us laugh.

Evie xx

Community Champion

Hello Jan, 

Club Nefertiti - count me in 😂. Who couldn't smile at such a story.  I think I may compose an Art installation of the same name  with my various collection as the main focus. Should be worth at least aTurner Prize nomination and a sale value of a couple of million.

Keep smiling Jan, 

Chick 🐥 X 

Hi Chick

That’s quite a collection! I’m formally inviting you to be a fully-fledged honorary member of my Nefertiti Club. In the 1970s, taking my first y9 History lesson, I talked about types of historical evidence and one example was “this one bust of Nefertiti.” When marking the pupils’ homework, a sentence or two about each of the people we’d talked about, I read this answer: ‘There was this ejipshun qeen who had her tit choped off.’ It took several hours and a lot of thought before it clicked. I’ve never forgotten about Nefertiti’s bust!

Membership free and no strings attached! Only rule is to smile and think of the glorious Nefertiti when straightening annoying bras and weightless knitted knockers!

Keep smiling.

Jan x

Community Champion

Hello. Jan, 

Thanks for below. 

So glad you had a positive visit and they are taking their time with you and trying to get the right boob for you.  The fishmonger analogy... very good.   

Well I have quite a collection of boob's now.... 2 comfies, 1 knitted knocker,  1 knitted Aqua knocker, one contact form and two non contact forms...... Shame only one of them matches really well with uni boob but so glad that at least one does. 

Take care, 

Chick 🐣 x

Hi Chick

I had to put this part off because of rib injuries and I’ve managed with tight vests or my knitted knocker in an Asda bra. I went to the prosthesis clinic last week and thoroughly enjoyed myself, though I felt like I was in a fishmongers, feeling the weight of these cold flabby objects. The nurse was friendly and so considerate, overly so as I don’t have the slightest hang-up about my scars or one-boobedness - I had to assure her I was fine with it all. I’m going back next week because she’s ordered something else for me to try and she was determined I get exactly the right size and shape (some were way too perky for a perfect match and a prominently pink nipple made me want to giggle rather than welcome the naturalness of it).

I take my hat off to you for standing up for us patients and complaining. It will pay off for future patients even if it was horrid for you. Glad you’ve found something comfortable. 

Jan x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hurrah Prosthetics Nurse

Hello all, 

I posted a couple of months ago about a very negative experience with a nurse at Prosthetics Clinic during a reassessment visit.  Fortunately,  due to being able to access services  in two places,  I decided to access another NHS Prosthetics Clinic in a different area.

The experience could not have been more different.  The staff member assisting was empathetic, caring and professional.   I got a new smaller boob,  and a very comfy free Amoena smooth t shirt bra plus can order these bras from them for about 40% cost. I don't know about anyone else but I find it easy to find pretty lace pocketed bras at a decent price (from Asda)  but not good fitting smooth t shirt bras.  

I made an official complaint about the other Service/nurse which was responded to.  I will make official positive feedback about the second service used  and especially about the staff member.   Hope everyone else who has to use prosthetics clinics have a very positive experience too. 

Chick x 🐣