cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Healing broken sore skin under breast

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Healing broken sore skin under breast

@Lily200 wrote:

Hello, I have no idea why they are not used more as the relief is instant and amazing. They just stay in place too. Read up about them if you want to know more or to get some. I found health professionals didn't know about them but the chemist did. I had a few ops, rads, 7 months chemo and years of hormone tablets. Had so many side effects but all worth it if they did some good. Currently 11 years from diagnosis and discharged by the hospital. Good luck. Lilyx

Lily - how great to hear that you are 11 years from diagnosis and discharged.  (My oncologist discharged me as he prescribed letrozole, but that wasn't after 11 years, so really not the same!!)  Wishing you all the very best xx

Community Champion

Hello, I have no idea why they are not used more as the relief is instant and amazing. They just stay in place too. Read up about them if you want to know more or to get some. I found health professionals didn't know about them but the chemist did. I had a few ops, rads, 7 months chemo and years of hormone tablets. Had so many side effects but all worth it if they did some good. Currently 11 years from diagnosis and discharged by the hospital. Good luck. Lilyx

Lily200

Thank you for your post.  When I read it I was a bit taken aback - there is actually something especially for radiation burns?!  Why didn't anyone at the hospital tell me this before??

I am using melolin dressings now, and it is no worse, although I have lost a huge area of skin already.  The melolin is much better than the adhesive mepilex the hospital used as a dressing.  I am 18 days post RT now and I am hoping to start to see some good progress to my skin soon...!

I hope you are doing well now, Lily200

Angie xx

Community Champion

Hello ladies, sorry to jump in but I saw your thread and had a similar problem some years ago after rads, so thought you might like to hear about something that worked for me. I was prescribed 'actiform cool' dressings by a nurse who had worked in a radiation unit. I could smell myself burning from my wound, it was just where skin lent on skin under the boob and broke open. They are absolutely incredible and sorted my wound and the burning heat out. They are especially for rads burns so I am not sure why they are not better known. My local chemist ordered them for me. Good luck, they are definitely worth trying as the relief was immediate for me. I checked they are still manufactured and you can read more about them online. Good luck x

Community Champion

I hope it settles down soon for you .The radiation continues building up for 2 weeks after you finish rads so sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.

Jill

I am ordering some of the dressing off amazon and will keep my fingers crossed I don't get an infection Smiley Surprised

I am VERY much looking forward to my skin getting back to "normal"...

I hope you are progressing well xx

Community Champion

No I didn't use any tape - I folded the dressing shiny side down under the crease and my bra kept it in place .I tried to have some time without dressings or bra to get air to it .I ended up with anti- biotic cream from GP as blisters burst and I got an infection - that cleared everything up really quickly - it's miserable I know but it does normally heal quite quickly once the impact of the radiation dies down .

Jill1998

You can see my other post here - but I wanted to ask you specifically if you used any micropore or other adhesive tape with the melolin dressing?  I reacted even to that when initially I had gauze used.  I'm not sure if you can use withut taping?  Any recommendations are very welcome Smiley Happy

Thank you.

A xx

HLA1972

I feel your pain.  I am also two weeks post radiotherapy and have a very similar problem.  I was seen in clinic and the nurse dressed me with a silicone based adhesive dressing (Mepilex Lite) which my skin reacted very badly  to (never had any sensitivity issues prior to this) and it also took the skin off on removal.  I declined any further dressing and as the skin is now broken I am not using anything at all on it.

I was interested to know if you had used the Melonin dressing suggested and had any luck with it.  A friend recommended this for me, but I am loathed to try anything at the moment as it is all so very sore, and it feels like nothing's working...

During radiotherapy I was advised not to use anything at all on my skin and when it started to get unbearable the radiographer suggested aloe vera, as you have been using.  Whilst I found this cooling initially, my skin didn't like it (whilst having RT) and I haven't gone back to it as it is broken now.  My node scar was also dressed in the Mepilex, and that isn't as bad but very dry and peeling.

I really do hope that you are healing up now - and any recommendations would be welcome Smiley Happy

A xx

Community Champion

I had this - I ended up using Melonin dressings under the fold ( shiny side down ) to help reduce moisture and friction - if you are blistered may be worth a trip to GP for antibiotic cream too .

Healing broken sore skin under breast

Hi there. I finished 20 Radiotherapy sessions (15 whole breast and 5 boosters) 2 weeks ago and although my skin is feeling a little better day by day I'm finding the underneath of my breast (that rarely sees the light of day) is very sore, raw and blistered. I have been using Emu Oil and Aloe Vera on the area which are helping a little but any more tips or advice would be welcomed. I was the area twice a day with warm water and then dry with a hairdryer and air dry when I get the chance to lie down. I am not wearing a bra at present. 

Looking forward to hearing from you 😉