cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discomfort, bras and support.

14 REPLIES

Re: Discomfort, bras and support.

Thank you Michelle and Seabreeze. I will certainly look into you suggestions. Seamless cups are not too hard to find these days thankfully. I find my biggest difficulty is the sides under the arm and going round the top of the cup. It rubs my sentinel scar sore. Even with the alterations I’ve made it still rubs. It’s like I need a low side and a cup that has outside edge missing. Oh what a conundrum but thank you all for helping. Luv and hugs Frances xxx

Hi Frances and anyone else currently in your situation,

I found the extra high impact sports bra from M & S good since it is seam free over the cups.

Also the Bravado body silk maternity bra (available from John Lewis), is seamfree and has double layered fabric which seems to help, albeit doesn't provide as much support as a sports bra.

Hope you find something comfortable. As things settle after surgery, you should find it easier to find bra's which are comfortable.

Seabreeze

Hi Frances
When I had my mastectomy and lymph nodes remoral I bought a m & s sports bra it was front fastening with a zip. It was the only one I could get in my size 34A, but it was very comfortable. Next month I have breast reconstruction surgery and this time the breast care nurse suggested getting hooked front fastening. I have bought two bras from House of Fraser which are from the Freya brand. They are so soft and comfortable. I didn't think it would be so hard to get a post surgery bra in my size but everywhere seems to cater for ladies with bigger assets. If you don't have a House of Fraser near by you can order on line.

Good luck xx

Hi Adrift,

I am so very sorry for the late reply. I saw your message as I was coughing my heart up, crossing my legs at the same time🤣, getting over bronchitis and said to myself I’ll reply later. Don’t know if it’s a senior moment or what but I’ve only just remembered. I am so sorry.

Thank you so much and I have tried the Primark ones but the cups aren’t full enough for me. I’m not particularly big 34DD but due to losing a massive amount of weight many years ago and what with age I am not firm and very saggy. I need something thats full but hugs me as well so to speak. A lot of bras in my size don’t look like cups to me but more like fabric with a slight indentation! 

I have since cut and altered the new M&S bras I bought initially under the arm and that has helped a lot. Front scar 4” never a problem in bras but that tiny sentinel node scar can still give me gip. 

I will keep experimenting and if I find one that is just the ticket I will let you know.

Luv and hugs

Frances xxx

Hello Frances,

I found some good temporary bras in Primark, at a reasonable price too. My favourite at the moment is very low at the sides so avoids the SNB completely. The only things that might be negative is that it is an "over the head" one, marked as a "Medium", so no exact fitting, but it has smooth, shaped cups. 

Good hunting - I know I spent a fortune in M&S and can't wear any of their bras because of the positions of the seams. x

Thank you Blubell and Redcap. Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner but have been rather under the weather. Think it’s side effects of Anastrazole. I get these yuk days about once a week for a couple of days.

I will certainly look into both of your suggestions and thank you very much for them.

Take care

Hugs

Frances xxx

I use Nicola Jane and getting well fitting bras from there has made a huge difference for me. They do fittings at their shops but will also give advice over the phone for on line orders. (I don't have shares, just find them really good!)

I found the best bra for after surgery was the Royce silver bra. https://www.royce-lingerie.co.uk/maternity/silver-post-surgery-bra-skin#selection=colorSmiley FrustratedKIN__39;chest...

It isn,t flattering, but very comfortable. It has silver for healing. Front fastening. Soft under the bust. You can adjust the straps from the front very easily, they are Velcro. 

Thanks Tili

In town today I did look in Bon Marche. They had some really pretty ones and will go back and try some on. I was wrapped up, was raining and being Saturday was quite busy. Had they been in bra sizes the ones I liked I think I might have bought a pair to try.

Hugs

Frances xxx

Thank you Claire.

I took a look but unfortunately there is a cup seam and that would irritate my scar. I have to have whole seamless cups. Even though my lump was only 8mm I had to lose the nipple as it was too close to save. Consequently for 8mm I now have a 4” scar right acros. Small price to pay thoug when you think of the alternative.

Hugs

Frances xxx

Hi Francis,

i have spent lots lots of money trying to buy a comfortable bra, however as suggested by a friend I tried BON MARCHE and have found them excellent the cheapest, pretty, and good support. Big hugs

Hi Frances,

I had my lumpectomy WLE and node removal today. I’ve got the amoena bra, and honestly it’s the comfiest thing I’ve ever ever wore. It comes low enough under my armpit to be comfortable there and it fastens at the front for ease.

https://www.amoena.com/uk-en/accessories/post-surgery-recovery-care/frances-non-wired-front-closure-...

I love this one so much today I’m going to buy another! It’s been a godsend and can not reiterate that enough! I’m wearing a L size C/D cup

Thank you Bibi. Im a 34DD although think surgery side might be slightly bigger now due to radiotherapy.

I’m off to M&S this morning. Lovely lady there has been doing my bra fittings pre and post surgery and she is a star. There wasn’t anything that fitted the bill before but hoping I can find something this time. Cups don’t seem to be too much of a problem but the sides are. I’m even prepared to pay for someone to alter the side lower. BC nurse recommended putting a piece of cloth over the side but that will still rub the scar. 

Hugs

Frances xxx

M and S have some nice non- wired bras that are not too expensive and there is a fair bit of choice if you are anything upto an E Cup - above that there is less choice but this one is nice - smooth and quite supportive

https://www.marksandspencer.com/flexi-fit-non-padded-full-cup-bra-a-f/p/p60090766?OmnitureRedirect=0...

A bit more expensive is the Royce Maisie bra which Bravissimo sell - or online but I like to try bras on. It’s £32 but you can take the vat off as its post surgery which makes it more affordable. It is a bit more padded but is v comfy. 

https://www.bravissimo.com/products/maisie-bra-blush-pink-ro103blp/

Good luck finding one you like.

Discomfort, bras and support.

Evening Friends.

Please can anyone suggest a supportive smooth bra. Had surgery September 2017 and have been wearing the soft crop top type bras as normal ones rubbed both WLE and SNB scar. Can wear normal for a few hours/day if needs be. Had to lose nipple as lump to close to it so have a 4” scar right across. Due to ongoing discomfort and now mild Lymphoedema around elbow area my Lymphoedema and BC nurse have both said to wear a more supportive bra to help with discomfort etc.

I cannot find one that has smooth cups or lower under the arm to clear SNB scar. Have seen the Nike sports compression one but would like something more feminine and without the Nike logo. Also are too high at sides. 

Please can anyone suggest anything.

Many thanks

Hugs

Frances xxx