cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling buddies from May - moving on

Re: Darling buddies from May - moving on

Hey Nicky that is great news.   So presumably your liver is now cancer free?   How odd that you've had a different type of BC with the liver.  Is the hormone treatment now treating the bones secondary? I'm glad you have managed to get out and about, although don't go overdoing it just yet.

Lily you do have a lot on your hands with your Mum and Uncle, as well as a family and a full time job. Are you getting on ok with your new computer?   Fingers crossed for your Barcelona trip. It was the F1 yesterday in Barcelona and I have lucky friends who went to watch.

Lisa, I really want to see the Avengers film, I love all those fantasy action movies.   Great news that you lost over half a stone in weight, well done.

Our weather ranges from being hot and sunny one day to very wet and chilly the next, no two days are the same.   I feel sorry for all the holidaymakers that come to our region because they must feel so disappointed. When it's dry our region is beautiful.   We've had our woodburner on a few times in the last week.  Looks like I will be ordering more wood Smiley Frustrated

Little pups is doing very well he now is clean and dry all through the night from 23.00 to 09.00 so not bad.  He is 19 weeks old today.   He still mouths at us but the kong bone we fill with treats helps keep him quiet for a while.  I will see if I can post a photo of him,

I had better go and get dressed, but it's so cold and wet I think I will need to find some winter clothes which I packed away last week when I thought the Spring had arrivedWoman Sad   Love to all Carole xxx

Hi buddies, how was your weekend? Carole are you ok, been a bit quiet recently. Hopefully enjoying family home and catching up on jobs. Lisa what's keeping you busy that late in the evenings? Are you bringing work home or making more jewellery? Are you still doing as much? You ahven't mentioned it for a while. Well Barcelona may be back on again hooray. Will keep you posted. Mum is getting tricky and so emotional that its difficult to do or say the right thing. Telling her I am doing anything especially holidays is a minefield. Still, we still have her so will keep trying to keep her on a more even keel if at all possible. My uncle managed to make all the circuit breakers go and I have been spooning mushy potato out of his freezer. His dementia means he doesn't know when anything is wrong, no matter how many times I ask. Would have helped if mum had told me he was boling water to make her a cup of tea. Anyway he is overjoyed that the lights and everything work on the fridge and looks at his kettle as though it is a miracle when it boils, which was very sweet and made me laugh. 

Nick I think you and I dx years back that you might have 2 types of bc going on. Maybe you and I should become consultants lol! I am like you never thought about margins until they told me they were ok and thought I would have been devastated if they had said there weren't, as unprepared for it. As you say it might easily have been a different result that they told you they had got most of it but not all. That was a spectacular result then, well done. They took other parts of your liver too, so do they have the same triple neg dx or were they hormone positive? Maybe it had just changed and you picked the perfect time to catch it.This is very useful information for the team. How do they feel about the triple neg part of it, Is there any merit to having some chemo or can they say the op got everything so its all hormone treatments now? I feel like you are in a really good place, had so much surgery and the procedures to get to this amazing point.It has been such good news and you were so brave to see it all through.  I also think there are a lot of questions too, as always. I know you will be on the case. After all you are on a very different pathway now following the surgery. Its the marathon for you now Smiley Happy Love Lily xx

Hi all

Nicky glad to see you are doing so well, it's like a new release when you can drive yourself. Results seem surprising but it's very good that you've had the op and can now look at alternative treatments. Xx

Carole, glad your having a break from dog duties, well sharing the load and nice having family around.

Lily, really feel for you missing out on Barcelona. Need to get looking for next school holiday and sorry to hear about your mum dramas and sun dramas lol

nothing much to report here, been working till aroun 11pm every evening so tired, but sorry to say it's been glorious here today so sat in sun sipping prosecco which isn't going to help the diet. Lost 9lb this week, first week big loss so not thinking will have any success this week.

took my niece to avengers she likes things like that, strangely I enjoyed it but looking forward to Mellisa McCarthy more with friends tomorrow night.

well better go and see how my freckles are reacting to the sun lol. Love lisa x

Community Champion

Well, what happened to the sun? It’s back to being cold and wet again after being so hot last weekend. I feel sorry for all the weddings taking place this weekend and saw some very summery dressed guests walking back to their cars from our local church earlier this afternoon. Bet they’re chilly! But at least it was before the rain started.

I hope the weather improves when you get your weekend away Lily, even though you’re not going abroad there’s plenty to see in this country, you just have to keep your fingers crossed for the weather.

Well, an update from me. I’ve now been signed off from the surgery team having made good progress. I just need to have a liver MRI as part of the research part I signed up for which will go alongside the CT scan planned as a general check to see how I’m responding to my current hormonal treatment. At least it’s been put off for a few weeks which is nice. Recovery is going well and I’m out and about driving again which makes a difference I can tell you! Just short trips here and there but no longer a prisoner in my own home and asking family and friends to get things from the shops for me. I’ve also been out and about walking more this week which has been good. The other part of my follow up appointment which was another curve ball in my long standing secondary BC saga was that I got the results back from the surgery about the histology of the removed tumour. Clear margins were taken which I hadn’t even considered, as far as I was concerned I was hoping theytook most of it away, it wasn’t thinking of margins. But strangely it turns out it was triple negative! Which explains why it’s been shrinking whilst on chemo but not responding when I go onto hormonal treatments! All very odd but it definitely made me glad that I’d made the right decision to have surgery, however long the recovery period is and the discomfort I’ve had. I don’t think it (the largest lesion) would have ever gone if it hadn’t been surgically removed. Funny though that biopsies which were taken from that lesion haven’t shown this, I just think the lesion was a mishmash which made it difficult to treat. A rogue lesion as I kept calling it Anyway. It also might mean that I still could go back to the previous hormonal I was on as everything was stable except this large lesion which wouldn’t have been surprising if it didn’t have any hormone receptors.

Thats my update for now, hope you have a good weekend, we’re not up to much, just the usual bits and pieces but it would have been nice to sit outside like we did last weekend, brrrrrr.

Nicky x

Hi everyone. Carole its my own silly fault so I don't deserve any sympathy. I am putting up with the after  aeffects going slowly and a dodgy looking nose! YD is in a similar state. It will pass. Yes I have aloe vera and that really helped and very quickly to remove the sting but now suddenly it is making my face much redder so I am easing off it. Yes the smoking thing is tricky as its making mum have to reach for her inhaler so probably shouldn't have to put up with it. If you smoke it is very difficult to disguise especially from people who don't.  Must have been nice for you to have everyone home for the bank holidays. How is your daughter getting on?

Well Barcelona is off as a work crisis means we can't go that weekend and then I have to be back at work boooo. So it looks like a UK break, possibly Cambridge or Oxford in the running at the moment. I guess at least I won't need to watch the sun so much as abroad. I am disapppointed but have said I am still owed a birthday trip in another school holiday instead. We will see. I read your Barcelona review Carole oh it did sound nice Smiley Sad 

Lisa have you started the dreaded diet you mentioned? Its tough going to make progress isn't it? Good luck. Nicky how have your appointments gone? Will they scan the liver to see what's happening at intervals or let you have a bit of peace for a bit longer? Are you driving now? Will be lovely to have your independence back I am sure. Better buzz off love Lily xx

Lily, so sorry to hear you are suffering after enjoying a bit of sun and sea, hope it doesn't keep it going for too long.  Aloe vera is good for sunburn, the real stuff is best.   Mine came from New Zealand and is a very good quality.   It's also good for insect bites and sore skin in general.

Sorry to hear about your Mum's problems.   Surely if the carer had been smoking in her own time there isn't much you can do?   I think she might be entitled to a fag break, but not sure particularly if the smell distresses your Mum.   Difficult that one. I also dislike the smell of someone who has been smoking but not for health reasons, just find it unpleasant, even though I used to smoke!

Your pup sounds lovely cuddling up to the cats.   Our boy just wants to play with them, but the oldest 2 at 15 (gosh they've just had a birthday) doesn't want to play.  When they are sleeping he is fine and doesn't pester, it's just when they are walking around. The collar is not a shock, it lets of a beep that only the dog should hear, and also I think it vibrates too.   I suppose he will grow out of it one day but it is annoying.   As yet he doesn't bark at the sound of other people or someone coming to the door, like you say that is a good bark.

Our bank holidays this week are tomorrow and Thursday.  A lot of businesses shut down for most of the week.   Mr P and YD are both here at the moment which is nice.   A bit of a break for me from pup duty lol.

Lily Barcelona is fantastic, definitely one I could go back to again and again.   I loved the Cathedral Sagrada Familial, which is still in the process of being restored.  It is awesome. The shopping is great too and there is a big Department Store, El Corte Ingles in the main square that offers tourists discounts in you produce your passport.  Well, it did the last time I was there which is about 6 years ago. There is a lot to see there and I still don't think we saw everything either time we have been there.   I would love to go with Mr P to see the Barcelona Grand Prix.   I'm thinking of looking at this for Mr P's special birthday next year.   We are lucky, it only takes approximately 4 1/2 hours for us to drive to Barcelona.  I am sure you will love it.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone. Nicky take care and Lisa what are you up to?   Love Carole

veryone, how are you this lovely long weekend? Carole, we have a bank holiday and 4 days of sun so enjoying the extra day this weekend. es we had our heating back on too. A strange year weatherwise again already. No I haven't used that type of colour but haven't been put to the test like you have been. Glad its not a shock one as they seem unkind but maybe I just don't know enough about them to judge. Just know I wouldn't like it done to me. I have a barking dog too, if anyone dares to come up the path but I do allow that most of the time as it lets people know we have dog security! Our dog was brought up with a cat who used to carry the pups around so she loves and respects them. When she stays at dogsitters they are always amazed that their cats cuddle up with her. Just experience when young I think and giving off the right signals.

Lisa I am glad you have some antibiotics to clear the bad chest. I wouldn't give it another thought if it is dx as bronchitis and clears up, only an infection would with the tablets.When you work out the easy way to lose weight, write a book and you will be a millionaire. I think every year you get older, your metabolism slows. So no hope for me ha ha. I did see that 10 year anniversary slide in, well done and I am very pleased they gave you a clean bill of health. Now go out there and have some fun. Mum has descended into the worst state after deciding she does not like her new carer. The woman seems absolutely fine to me. Yesterday she turned up and had been smoking and that was the final straw. I'm not sure how the land lies on that matter. Mum has chronic asthma and smoking is the number one cause of that condiditon but is the woman supposed to have her own rights? I really don't know. i did think the poor... probably needed one to pluck up courage to go back in, after a very tough week with her!!!   I dread the next day's episode. Carole I am empathising with you throughout all this.   Nicky the bluebells are so pretty aren't they? The bottom of my garden is a sea of them although the pink and white versions are trying to take over a bit. You would think the blue would be strongest in a plant battle? How are you feeling now? Has it been better or a bit worse as you try to do more things? Be careful and don't rush it.

Well I sneaked in a long weekend break to the coast and just back today, fried skin unfortunately from a sea breeze that didn't alert me to the climbing temperature. Very silly and I could kick myself, very uncomfortable and serves me right. Jolly lucky it wasn't warm enough to take many clothes off! I am currently looking for another slightly longer break later this month. Just been online and found a lot to Spain, mainly Barcelona/Salou. Has anyone been? ED is always saying you must go to Barcelona. Found some good deals online for £200 half board for 4 nights in big hotles , so thinking about it. With the highest factor cream ever now I know what sunburn feels like. Never again!! WEll better buzz off as  catching up on work. Hugs. Lily xx

Community Champion

Enjoy the sunny Bank Holiday weekend - all of you who are in the UK of course. Just pottering around for us, which is nice plus a trip out to see the bluebells which we do every year, luckily we have lots of bluebell woods near us so it’s not like it’s too far to go. That and a bit of gardening should do the trick - but no heavy stuff for me, will leave that to OH.

Nicky x

Hi all, I'm alive sorry work has been exhausting and plus had bronchitis again, had 5 days of pills but not quite cleared it. Looked at my records and it's the 4th time in 2 years, I seems to spend months trying to get the tail end of the cough away, then it's comes back, hopefully nothing sinister as pills do seem to help. Had 10 year check up too.  Nothing to report here just work work and more work. Diet started yesterday as gained over 2 stone and look hideous but just cutting down on everything, I just couldn't get into it when I felt lousy with coughing, no sleep and long hours but turned a corner hopefully.

nicky, it's amazing how well your doing, take it easy when first driving, maybe a wee cushion to protect yourself, or keep being shipped and chauffeured around xx

lily, dog sick from grass is just as uk eh.... have you booked a holiday yet? I'm having holiday blues already lol.

carole, sounds like pup is keeping you very busy.glad weather is a little better. But brighter here today and love light nights 😍.

better go and have a cuppa and to for an hour, rock and rock lifestyle lol

Hi everyone, after a few wet, cold, grey miserable days we have full sun today and blue sky, so I hope the weather is kinder to you all as well?   I have even had the wood burner on in the evenings.  Incredible for May.

Aero is finally getting the picture of how the household works.   Except for the cats! He thinks they are his playmates and terrorises them.  I've ordered an anti barking collar that vibrates (not the shock type) to try and stop his barking at them.  He doesn't bark at anything else, just the cats. If you could see the way he gets one of them, the youngest and fattest one, he pins him down to the floor.   Of course this is not the way to behave so I'm finding distraction is quite good at stopping him.   However, the cat seems to want to come back for more Smiley Sad Having had a pup Lily have you used a collar like this and more to the point did it work?

Lily I do sympathise with you for your Mum.  I don't know if they moan because they have nothing else to say or if it is genuinely a problem.    Every day for the last week everytime I phone my Mum she always says the same thing "I don't feel right but I don't know what is wrong with me".   Last Thursday she went out to a new day centre for lunch and to play bingo and meet people to chat to.   This is the only day in the last week she has sounded ok, quite chirpy and actually enjoyed the day centre. She says she has tried to phone the doctor but doesn't get through.   I believe this is because she is so impatient that she hangs up after just a few rings.   When I've phoned her doctor I've never had any problems.  I despair!!!

Better get on, hope everyone is feeling ok? Love Carole

Hi girls, how are you all. Carole there is no hope for us if it is rainy over you! It was so nice to have some really hot weather but then to lose it again grrrr. Well at least the giant wasps have gone back to wherever they came from. Mum has just had the next cataract done and is very low about the discomfort and quite difficult. I thought she would know what to expect and be ready for it. She asked me to bury her under the tree, right now. I said well it was a waste of a lot of money if you are not even going to use your new vision. I really find that side of her old age difficult to cope with. She went out of her way to go privately instead of a reasonably short wait on the NHS, got what she wanted and its still so ....  The dog has been eating grass so I'm wondering how long I have until that starts coming back up again. Better not go to bed too early.

Nicky you are doing so well. It never ceases to amaze me how fast the body can recover from major surgery. i know it might feel slower to you but I think it is really quick. Nice to start getting out and even better when you can drive yourself.  Lisa how are you? Did you have a hospital appointment or where you thinking about one coming up? Bet its horrible to come back to work. Are you very busy with all the changes? Love Lily xx

Nicky, glad to see you are chirpy and obviously making a good recovery, the pain is something that should get better in time. Is the pain around the scar area or from inside? If around the scar try very gentle massage. If internal I suppose it's a question of time.

Weather wise it's the same here. It hasn't stopped raining since 10 pm last night. Heavy, cold and torrential. Just after I was out with pups at 6am we had an almighty thunderstorm so I'm glad I missed that. I've had the wood burner on today as it's chilly and damp.

Love to all xxx
Community Champion

Hi ladies - from a very chilly Hampshire - what on earth is going on with the weather? I’ve had to put the heating on in the day, especially as I can’t get out of the house without involving someone or other to give me a lift. Normally if it gets too cold (and I’m sitting around inside) I go out to a shop just to hav3 a browse and warm up! Please send some of your sun Carole. Btw sorry to hear about the pain from your disc, it must be very difficult to get comfortable when the pain shifts so much. Hopefully the warm sun will help it, I find the cold just makes your muscles contract which makes everything more aches.

Lily, how about Bilbao? A short flight and a city that doesn’t have too many sights to take in. The Guggenheim museum is fantastic, a real architectural treat which Victor should love - and the exhibits are pretty good as well. A modern art museum, some love parks along the river and the old town full of character, plus of course lots of lovely eating places and bars. Would highly recommend it for a quick trip. Easy bus trip from the airport to the city centre as well. Just  a thought if you’re wanting to go abroad.

Nothing much to report from me, still recovering and taking regular painkillers which I can’t wait to get rid of. A few short trips out over this weekend means I’m not going stir crazy sat at home all day. A busier week getting out and about, courtesy of friends next week, then hopefully back to driving as it will be 4 weeks post op fir me, hooray!

Nicky x

Just a quick reply to Lily. Have you tried gaviscon for your coughing? I find it really does help the night time grumbling and tickle. I have to take my omeprazole every day to keep the acid in check. It is a pity that you have to wait so long to see the GP, even if you get an appointment.  Must be difficult fitting it in to full time work. As for the disc problems, I'm more in,pain with my neck and shoulder at the moment, but it tends to vary from day to day and some days it's my back, groin and shoulder that hurts. Other than paracetamol I don't take other meds, except a tens machine and a wheat bag and a hot water bottle on all the painful spots.

I sympathise about the wasps. We seem to be getting them too and they are making nests in all sorts of places, like my bird table and Mr Ps shed. Pups ate one today and appeared not to get stung😂. Good old Victor for coming to the rescue lol. Good luck with picking the trip away, I hope you win ha ha.

Love to all xxx

Hi everyone, lovely to have the full set of buddies back on the thread. Nicky I am never sure why they mention the emergency stop, maybe it is to scare people as it sounds very dramatic. Or maybe to make you think about the seatbelt tugging. ither way be guided by yourself and medical advice. It used to be 6 weeks after an op but I do think it should vary with where the op was. I drove very quickly after my bc ops but checked with the consultant. His test was can you put your arm in the air and swing it round. I was lucky to be able to do that within a couple of weeks, due to the location of the scars. Everyone is different. Anyway has this week seen another big jump in how you are feeling Nick and what you are able to do? 

Lisa did you see the doc about your cough? How is it now? I have had one for ages, just over 3 weeks. I find a cough really annoying and it has set my acid off too.. So I have a lot of empathy Carol. I have run out of tablets as they were out of date so bought some in the supermarket, but I was surprised how expensive they are if you use them regularly. I have free prescriptions so I should see the doc instead but there is no way you get an appointment at the moment unless you sit on the phone and I will be driving. You can book online but people book the whole lot as soon as they release them. So only ever emergency appointment for us now. I hope to not need one of those! Carol I was sorry to hear about your disc degeneration, sounds terribly sore, how are you managing? I think if they get too mobile, they often put cement in to make the discs solid, not sure if its for your type of condition but I understand it is good. 

WQell more blasted rain. Despite that we keep getting the most enormous wasps turn up in the house. They are really dozey and sit around right where you could accidentally put your hand and get a sting. First sting is always a strong one too. I think they are coming out the loft hatch so I am much too scared to go up there now. One turned up today righ next to son's arm where he was leaning. He's a real baby about insects and fled following my shout and run to a safe room. Victor is the bravest person with anything like that and calmly electrocuted the rotter and carried it out. We hid as usual lol. Well better buzz off. I am trying to persuade Victor to have a mini trip abroad next month. Just somewhere quick from a local airport. He wants to stay in the UK. Booooo. As it is my birthday treat I am pinging his conscience about who should pick the destination. Will keep you posted who wins. Have a lovely weekend. Love Lily xx

Hi all

I realise I've missed quite a few posts but I've just had a quick read up so hope I don't miss anything out as I'm doing from memory Man Sad

Nicky it sounds like you have recovered well from your operation and I hope too, for you to have independance, that you are soon able to drive again.   How long does it take for the liver to regenerate? Sounds like your GS is keeping you busy.

Lily, how strange that Vicks on the feet stops a cough Man Wink I've never heard that one before lol. My problem is coughing at night too, mainly due to acid reflux.   I've found if I take some Gaviscon before bed that seems to help.   Anyway, hoping you are better now and sleeping again. Thanks for your words about YD.

Lisa how is your cough? I bet you are on a mega downer following your holiday, post holiday blues.

Our weather has been pretty hot and sunny for nearly two weeks now with none of that wet stuff. Of course that means plant watering as everything dries up so quickly here. After months of rain, looking at the garden now you would never know that.   Pups is keeping me busy so not much time is my own but he is slowly getting better. I'm still getting up through the night, usually around 6 1/2 hours after our last garden visit. Gradually we are extending this time.   It's a bit annoying if I wake earlier to go to the bathroom as I end up staying awake until the alarm goes off to let him out. He is still nibbling, he's not too bad with me because I am strict and won't allow it, but with everyone else he just gets so excited, so this part of the training is ongoing.  I saw a rhumatologist and found out that my lower too discs are slipping, one is barely there as it has taken the worst of the wear and tear.   My right side shoulder and neck seem to be getting the worst of it, physio only helps a little bit.   No fun this old age!!

Have a good weekend everyone, hope your weather is kind to you.   Love Carole xxx

Community Champion

Yes, all going well. I’ll only drive once I feel comfortable enough to do it, or more importantly be able to do an emergency stop which is what everyone says these days. Will be checking with insurance company first though to make sure they don’t have specific post surgery time scales.

BTW I realise I put ‘today’ in my previous post. I meant ‘yesterday’ as I hadn’t been to see my consultant that day, it had been the day before - obz considering the time of my post! Duh, all these drugs are doing my head in!

Nicky x

Nicky that's great news. Your surgeon sounds like a bit of a charmer, always nicer to visit people who are chatty and flattering. Only a week before you can drive!! Amazing. Can you have a little spell away from hospitals now or is your treatment going to start up again? Is there any restriction on flying for a while too or can you start planning some trips? So pleased for you. Lily xx

Community Champion

All went well today with the follow up appointment. The surgeon was so pleased with my recovery that he said I looked like I was coming in to discuss having the operation NOT coming in having HAD the operation 😊. I go back again in a couple of weeks for a further check up and arrange the follow up MRI which is part of the research I’ve agreed to be part of. Only annoying thing was having to hang around for a blood test (as you can imagine all the liver function tests were hit by the op so it’s a case of checking they are coming back down to their normal range). I normally either get fast tracked or have a set time for my blood tests when it’s for chemo etc but yesterday was a typical day in the blood sucking area, only one nurse seemed to be open for business so what should have been a 10 minute wait ended up being about an hour. Very frustrating for everyone waiting, not just me btw, and as I can’t drive at the moment I couldn’t really come back another time so ED had to sit with me as well. Oh well, only another week or so before I can get out and about in my little car so I won’t have to rely on lifts to everywhere.

Nicky x

Hi everyone, hope you are ok. I am disappointed the lovely warm weather didn't stay a bit longer. 

Nicky well done for managing to stay on your feet while that was done, yuk!  How did your surgical check up today go? I think you tend to knwo yourself how things are, so hoping he was pleased with your recovery too. I think you have done brilliantly. Lily xxx