Re: Darling buddies from May - moving on

Hi everyone, after a few wet, cold, grey miserable days we have full sun today and blue sky, so I hope the weather is kinder to you all as well?   I have even had the wood burner on in the evenings.  Incredible for May.

Aero is finally getting the picture of how the household works.   Except for the cats! He thinks they are his playmates and terrorises them.  I've ordered an anti barking collar that vibrates (not the shock type) to try and stop his barking at them.  He doesn't bark at anything else, just the cats. If you could see the way he gets one of them, the youngest and fattest one, he pins him down to the floor.   Of course this is not the way to behave so I'm finding distraction is quite good at stopping him.   However, the cat seems to want to come back for more Smiley Sad Having had a pup Lily have you used a collar like this and more to the point did it work?

Lily I do sympathise with you for your Mum.  I don't know if they moan because they have nothing else to say or if it is genuinely a problem.    Every day for the last week everytime I phone my Mum she always says the same thing "I don't feel right but I don't know what is wrong with me".   Last Thursday she went out to a new day centre for lunch and to play bingo and meet people to chat to.   This is the only day in the last week she has sounded ok, quite chirpy and actually enjoyed the day centre. She says she has tried to phone the doctor but doesn't get through.   I believe this is because she is so impatient that she hangs up after just a few rings.   When I've phoned her doctor I've never had any problems.  I despair!!!

Better get on, hope everyone is feeling ok? Love Carole

Hi girls, how are you all. Carole there is no hope for us if it is rainy over you! It was so nice to have some really hot weather but then to lose it again grrrr. Well at least the giant wasps have gone back to wherever they came from. Mum has just had the next cataract done and is very low about the discomfort and quite difficult. I thought she would know what to expect and be ready for it. She asked me to bury her under the tree, right now. I said well it was a waste of a lot of money if you are not even going to use your new vision. I really find that side of her old age difficult to cope with. She went out of her way to go privately instead of a reasonably short wait on the NHS, got what she wanted and its still so ....  The dog has been eating grass so I'm wondering how long I have until that starts coming back up again. Better not go to bed too early.

Nicky you are doing so well. It never ceases to amaze me how fast the body can recover from major surgery. i know it might feel slower to you but I think it is really quick. Nice to start getting out and even better when you can drive yourself.  Lisa how are you? Did you have a hospital appointment or where you thinking about one coming up? Bet its horrible to come back to work. Are you very busy with all the changes? Love Lily xx

Nicky, glad to see you are chirpy and obviously making a good recovery, the pain is something that should get better in time. Is the pain around the scar area or from inside? If around the scar try very gentle massage. If internal I suppose it's a question of time.

Weather wise it's the same here. It hasn't stopped raining since 10 pm last night. Heavy, cold and torrential. Just after I was out with pups at 6am we had an almighty thunderstorm so I'm glad I missed that. I've had the wood burner on today as it's chilly and damp.

Love to all xxx
Community Champion

Hi ladies - from a very chilly Hampshire - what on earth is going on with the weather? I’ve had to put the heating on in the day, especially as I can’t get out of the house without involving someone or other to give me a lift. Normally if it gets too cold (and I’m sitting around inside) I go out to a shop just to hav3 a browse and warm up! Please send some of your sun Carole. Btw sorry to hear about the pain from your disc, it must be very difficult to get comfortable when the pain shifts so much. Hopefully the warm sun will help it, I find the cold just makes your muscles contract which makes everything more aches.

Lily, how about Bilbao? A short flight and a city that doesn’t have too many sights to take in. The Guggenheim museum is fantastic, a real architectural treat which Victor should love - and the exhibits are pretty good as well. A modern art museum, some love parks along the river and the old town full of character, plus of course lots of lovely eating places and bars. Would highly recommend it for a quick trip. Easy bus trip from the airport to the city centre as well. Just  a thought if you’re wanting to go abroad.

Nothing much to report from me, still recovering and taking regular painkillers which I can’t wait to get rid of. A few short trips out over this weekend means I’m not going stir crazy sat at home all day. A busier week getting out and about, courtesy of friends next week, then hopefully back to driving as it will be 4 weeks post op fir me, hooray!

Nicky x

Just a quick reply to Lily. Have you tried gaviscon for your coughing? I find it really does help the night time grumbling and tickle. I have to take my omeprazole every day to keep the acid in check. It is a pity that you have to wait so long to see the GP, even if you get an appointment.  Must be difficult fitting it in to full time work. As for the disc problems, I'm more in,pain with my neck and shoulder at the moment, but it tends to vary from day to day and some days it's my back, groin and shoulder that hurts. Other than paracetamol I don't take other meds, except a tens machine and a wheat bag and a hot water bottle on all the painful spots.

I sympathise about the wasps. We seem to be getting them too and they are making nests in all sorts of places, like my bird table and Mr Ps shed. Pups ate one today and appeared not to get stung😂. Good old Victor for coming to the rescue lol. Good luck with picking the trip away, I hope you win ha ha.

Love to all xxx

Hi everyone, lovely to have the full set of buddies back on the thread. Nicky I am never sure why they mention the emergency stop, maybe it is to scare people as it sounds very dramatic. Or maybe to make you think about the seatbelt tugging. ither way be guided by yourself and medical advice. It used to be 6 weeks after an op but I do think it should vary with where the op was. I drove very quickly after my bc ops but checked with the consultant. His test was can you put your arm in the air and swing it round. I was lucky to be able to do that within a couple of weeks, due to the location of the scars. Everyone is different. Anyway has this week seen another big jump in how you are feeling Nick and what you are able to do? 

Lisa did you see the doc about your cough? How is it now? I have had one for ages, just over 3 weeks. I find a cough really annoying and it has set my acid off too.. So I have a lot of empathy Carol. I have run out of tablets as they were out of date so bought some in the supermarket, but I was surprised how expensive they are if you use them regularly. I have free prescriptions so I should see the doc instead but there is no way you get an appointment at the moment unless you sit on the phone and I will be driving. You can book online but people book the whole lot as soon as they release them. So only ever emergency appointment for us now. I hope to not need one of those! Carol I was sorry to hear about your disc degeneration, sounds terribly sore, how are you managing? I think if they get too mobile, they often put cement in to make the discs solid, not sure if its for your type of condition but I understand it is good. 

WQell more blasted rain. Despite that we keep getting the most enormous wasps turn up in the house. They are really dozey and sit around right where you could accidentally put your hand and get a sting. First sting is always a strong one too. I think they are coming out the loft hatch so I am much too scared to go up there now. One turned up today righ next to son's arm where he was leaning. He's a real baby about insects and fled following my shout and run to a safe room. Victor is the bravest person with anything like that and calmly electrocuted the rotter and carried it out. We hid as usual lol. Well better buzz off. I am trying to persuade Victor to have a mini trip abroad next month. Just somewhere quick from a local airport. He wants to stay in the UK. Booooo. As it is my birthday treat I am pinging his conscience about who should pick the destination. Will keep you posted who wins. Have a lovely weekend. Love Lily xx

Hi all

I realise I've missed quite a few posts but I've just had a quick read up so hope I don't miss anything out as I'm doing from memory Man Sad

Nicky it sounds like you have recovered well from your operation and I hope too, for you to have independance, that you are soon able to drive again.   How long does it take for the liver to regenerate? Sounds like your GS is keeping you busy.

Lily, how strange that Vicks on the feet stops a cough Man Wink I've never heard that one before lol. My problem is coughing at night too, mainly due to acid reflux.   I've found if I take some Gaviscon before bed that seems to help.   Anyway, hoping you are better now and sleeping again. Thanks for your words about YD.

Lisa how is your cough? I bet you are on a mega downer following your holiday, post holiday blues.

Our weather has been pretty hot and sunny for nearly two weeks now with none of that wet stuff. Of course that means plant watering as everything dries up so quickly here. After months of rain, looking at the garden now you would never know that.   Pups is keeping me busy so not much time is my own but he is slowly getting better. I'm still getting up through the night, usually around 6 1/2 hours after our last garden visit. Gradually we are extending this time.   It's a bit annoying if I wake earlier to go to the bathroom as I end up staying awake until the alarm goes off to let him out. He is still nibbling, he's not too bad with me because I am strict and won't allow it, but with everyone else he just gets so excited, so this part of the training is ongoing.  I saw a rhumatologist and found out that my lower too discs are slipping, one is barely there as it has taken the worst of the wear and tear.   My right side shoulder and neck seem to be getting the worst of it, physio only helps a little bit.   No fun this old age!!

Have a good weekend everyone, hope your weather is kind to you.   Love Carole xxx

Community Champion

Yes, all going well. I’ll only drive once I feel comfortable enough to do it, or more importantly be able to do an emergency stop which is what everyone says these days. Will be checking with insurance company first though to make sure they don’t have specific post surgery time scales.

BTW I realise I put ‘today’ in my previous post. I meant ‘yesterday’ as I hadn’t been to see my consultant that day, it had been the day before - obz considering the time of my post! Duh, all these drugs are doing my head in!

Nicky x

Nicky that's great news. Your surgeon sounds like a bit of a charmer, always nicer to visit people who are chatty and flattering. Only a week before you can drive!! Amazing. Can you have a little spell away from hospitals now or is your treatment going to start up again? Is there any restriction on flying for a while too or can you start planning some trips? So pleased for you. Lily xx

Community Champion

All went well today with the follow up appointment. The surgeon was so pleased with my recovery that he said I looked like I was coming in to discuss having the operation NOT coming in having HAD the operation 😊. I go back again in a couple of weeks for a further check up and arrange the follow up MRI which is part of the research I’ve agreed to be part of. Only annoying thing was having to hang around for a blood test (as you can imagine all the liver function tests were hit by the op so it’s a case of checking they are coming back down to their normal range). I normally either get fast tracked or have a set time for my blood tests when it’s for chemo etc but yesterday was a typical day in the blood sucking area, only one nurse seemed to be open for business so what should have been a 10 minute wait ended up being about an hour. Very frustrating for everyone waiting, not just me btw, and as I can’t drive at the moment I couldn’t really come back another time so ED had to sit with me as well. Oh well, only another week or so before I can get out and about in my little car so I won’t have to rely on lifts to everywhere.

Nicky x

Hi everyone, hope you are ok. I am disappointed the lovely warm weather didn't stay a bit longer. 

Nicky well done for managing to stay on your feet while that was done, yuk!  How did your surgical check up today go? I think you tend to knwo yourself how things are, so hoping he was pleased with your recovery too. I think you have done brilliantly. Lily xxx

Community Champion

Yes I did survive! And am not leaking from the tiny holes that were left once the wire was removed ha ha. A very odd sensation but best not to think about it. Our GP surgery is only a short walk from us so I set myself the target of walking there for the appointment but had YD on standby at home in case I couldn’t walk home through either fatigue or having passed out 😵 Luckily I didn’t need her services and managed to walk home. I do feel a bit more comfortable having had them removed and have my follow up appointment today so we will see if the surgeon thinks I’m doing well.

Nicky x

Hi ,just wanted to check you survived the dreadfull sounding wire and suture removal. That's one of the medical things that makes me squirm, like pulling drains out yuuuk. Hope it went ok Nick and that it feels a little more comfortable Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Feeling much better thank you - still on pain killers though, just paracetamol with the odd ibuprofen thrown in for good measure. This time last week I did feel really awful, a bit of a tickle in the throat (probably from the GA) and when I coughed it was agony, luckily that cleared up after a day or so. I have been sitting out in the sun at every chance and got OH to stock me up with lots of mags to read whilst out there - can’t used iPad in such lovely weather as can’t see the screen ha ha. A very light bit of gardening, just pulling a few weeds and sowing a few seeds so nothing strenuous, just left all of that for OH over the weekend. And getting out for a few very short walks just to test the water! Very achy where the main part of the op was on the first time we went out but feeling a bit stronger each time so will keep it up as this is one of the main physio activities they want you to do to improve recovery. OH, ED, GS and I went to a local garden that it open for visitors on Saturday and that was just right for me to have a bit of a walk around in, look at the lovely flowers and then sit down for a cuppa and a cake - bliss. The others were able to have a bit more of a walk to see the gardens as I have been there quite a few times before whereas this was their first time. Have seen GS quite a bit, towards the end of last week when I picked up a bit, but obviously can’t pick him up as he is so heavy now, he is 7 months old would you believe. But he’s happy in his walker or just crawling around and playing so doesn’t need so much in the way of being held these days. And yes, Lily, the scar is as bit as that! Much bigger than I even thought when I agreed to have it done. Hoping it heals well and sutures come out today, I’m currently held together with bits of wire so it seems but they said that this is the way they have found best so I assume they know what they are doing! Then a follow up appointment with the surgeon tomorrow, which is sensible rather than leaving it the normal 4-6 weeks after an op and will ask a few things like when I can drive etc. So that’s me up to date. How are you and all the family doing?

Lisa, your hols sound fab, what a lovely time with the family. Must have been a bit of a weather contrast between Florida and NYC at this time of the year. I know exactly what you’re talking about with the blue bag story, maybe speak to their UK office and explain? (I know they have a shop in London and probably elsewhere as well). Sorry to hear you had a bad cough whilst away though, that is such an annoyance, just when you want to enjoy the whole thing and get fed up sleeping badly because you’re coughing so much. Sounds like you and Lily had a similar bug, but maybe mention it at your checkup?  Hope that going back to work hasn’t been too bad and you settle in, or your new assistant settles in more to the point! Decide how things are before looking elsewhere as well.

Carole, how are you doing? Is the weather nice and sunny like here? We seem to have had all the warm weather for now but at least the sun is still shining for a few more days. For the first time I seem to be struggling with hay fever this year, goodness knows why but my eyes are really itchy and I have a blocked or runny nose, I could do without this!  Are you getting on with the garden and planting up things? How is little pup doing? Any better at sleeping and generally training? Hope that he (I think it’s a he!) is becoming more of a companion than a nuisance now.

Better sign off now as have things to get on with, most importantly getting my wires removed, yikes!

Nicky xx

Hi how was your weekend everyone? First of all, Nicky how are you feeling now? Are you managing to get round and about or is it still uncomfortable to do some things? I forgot to ask you about the scar and bruising, how has it been. A shark bite !!! I hope not that size. Still getting it done and the good result make anything worthwhile Smiley Happy  Are you up to playing with your gs yet> I am sure they try to stop you every time you try to play and have fun with him. Spoil sports.  Did you manage to get out in the lovely weather?

lisa you mad eme want to go back to New York so much. Our relatives want us to go to their other house in Florida next time but my heart would head to NY every time. i haven't the foggiest idea what that was about the bag. Couldn't understand it at all, were you on the sherry? Read it back and have another go. Who is this Andy that keeps appearing lol. Don't worry about the weight, do it when you are ready xx

Carole how are you? How is the pup now, still keeping you busy? Hugs Lily xx 

Hi all, I'm back but not at my best, coughing to the point of throwing up again, started 4 days into hols and managed well apart from 2 days when I was wiped out but struggling now I'm back. Tad worried as it seems to just keep coming back, couple months before hols said chest infection, went then weeks after back and said bronchitis , this change in weather and air con don't help. Boob check up annual on Tuesday and I've gained so much weight so a telling off. Need to get head into gear..

Holiday was fab, tiring but fab, we done lots of Disney and universal parks with kids, too much shopping ouch lol and a few chill days Andy guess what, barely a drop of rain, shocker, was dull a few days but worked out well walking in the parks.

new york was fab, we walked 28.5 miles in 2.5 days, the perfect pint bar next door was a life saver at the end of the night lol. I told the guy who collected us at airport it was Taylor's 9th birthday, he put balloons in the car and a presentation and music with his name playing when we got in, was so lovely, and on the way back surprised us with free upgrade to stretch limo, although looked fab, gosh, he drove like a loon and as if he was in a normal car on streets of New York, me and brother couldn't look half of time.

we done all normal sights, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 tribute, empire, top of rock, time square, grand central station and Central Park and hop on hop off buses and few well know places for food. Everyone loved the pedicabs incentral park, although it was a bit hairraising when they picked us up 7 blocks away and drove amongst all traffic, we had 3 together so it was a real family and funny time, taylor and Sophie loved it and I think it was mam's favourite thing.

i got a wee blue bag eek from a special shop but not a happy bunny, it was lovely, got it home and wore it twice Andy its tarnished black so complaint coming in as no way should that happen when you pay that sort f.money.

anythow that's about it, back to work, been to Liverpool with work and lots of meeting and assistant left after 8 years so been a bit sad but replacement seems good too.

hope everyone is doing okay and enjoyed some lovely weather this weekend. Hope you managed to get some vitiman d from the sun nicky xxx

Welcome back Lisa, love to hear all about your trip. Good to have you back though xx

Hi a lol, m back in land of living just, been wiped out since Sunday esp. with work, but wow I've missed your op totally nicky as didn't have to get on whilst away. Glad to see your resting and good luck with the check up, you are one tough cookie xxx

catch up on rest of goss tomorrow, of to land of nod xxxLISA

Hi Nicky, yes I often think we worry about the op and don't think nearly so much about afterwards. I always find that the initial recovery seems amazingly fast which makes you feel really optimistic about getting back to normal but its then followed by a much slower recovery stage as the deeper healing takes place. That part is the more frustrating part when you see much slower changes. It sounds like you have been through it then. Not sure tablets can ever get close to the power of iv drugs. Are you feeling more in control of the pain now? I hope so xx.Definitely listen to your body as I am sure your liver would not appreciate fine wines for a bit. I think the seta belt part might be 6 weeks like most big ops and anaesthetics, but might be a little more because of the position.Get the senna tablets out if the drugs continue to make your innards a bit sluggish. It works really well when you need it to. Keep me up to date on your progress and appointments. Is the district nurse popping in to check you out? Sad news about the cat but I guess it could have been a lot worse than his tail. I hope it all goes to plan and that he is insured.Thanks ed has 2 job offers which don't pay enough to live on and an interview for a job in a big firm who want a receptionist/organiser type role. I hope she gets it but you never know who you are up against and it is not her professional field.Time will tell. I have had such a sore throat which turned into the most annoying cough that started as soon as I got into bed each night. I have struggled to even get an hour of sleep in one go and then that started the acid problems off. The girls tell me that they say to put vic on children's feet to stop a cough!  It sounds crazy i thought but this came back to me at 2.45 am when I was sitting in the bathroom being sick through coughing. Would you believe it works for big people too???  The whole room stinks and Victor says I am killing him with the fumes but at least we can sleep at last Smiley Happy  Take care of yourself love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Gradually feeling a bit better day by day. I think overall it would have been better to have stayed in hospital longer as the transition from on-tap IV painkillers to oral ones has been rather uncomfortable to say the least. Generally moving around though much more comfortably and getting better sleep, although still quite uncomfortable at times. I go back next week for a check up with the surgeon, he says they do it sooner rather than later presumably to sort any problems out. I will ask then about driving and other precautions I might need to take. One thing at the moment is I don’t even fancy a drink so it must be my body telling me to wait for full recovery! Not that I was expecting or needing  to imbibe but just goes to show how your own body tells you what to do. Eating lots of protein and off the carbs rich diet that hospitals give you which is no good for bed ridden patients who can’t go to the loo! Tablets are OK to take but I expect at the moment some of my liver function tests will be raised as it is under a lot of stress and one in particular shows this up. Generally bloods were OK whilst in hospital so the op itself didn’t bring down other readings for platelets, etc.

I managed to catch up with some of the Commonwealth Games but mainly on catch up or the edited programmes as most things I would choose to watch were on at ridiculous o’clock - understandably as it’s their time not ours. Now just trying to fill the days whilst recuperating and not getting bored. In hospital I was so wired out and spaced out on painkillers etc that I had no time to get bored, plus of course all the checks they do all the time. If the sun ever does come out I will sit outside for a bit as a bit of Vit D is good for the healing process.

On a bit of a sad note our EDs cat, which we used to have at ours as a kitten, wasn’t acting very well yesterday. They took him to the vets and they said he had been hit by a car ☹️ Obviously a glancing blow but his tail is broken and they had to keep him in to see if he had any other injuries. Luckily (being a cat he has 9 lives) he has passed urine which was their main concern but he is having his tail amputated today poor thing. This, we were told, is because he won’t have any feeling in it therefore could get it trapped etc which would cause lots of problems. Lots of TLC coming his way and hopefully he has learnt his lesson and will stay nearer his house where there are lots of hunting and killing opportunities!

Nicky xx

ps hope your ED finds something she likes soon, Lily x