322551posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling buddies from May - moving on

Community Champion

Re: Darling buddies from May - moving on

Enjoy the sunny Bank Holiday weekend - all of you who are in the UK of course. Just pottering around for us, which is nice plus a trip out to see the bluebells which we do every year, luckily we have lots of bluebell woods near us so it’s not like it’s too far to go. That and a bit of gardening should do the trick - but no heavy stuff for me, will leave that to OH.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi all, I'm alive sorry work has been exhausting and plus had bronchitis again, had 5 days of pills but not quite cleared it. Looked at my records and it's the 4th time in 2 years, I seems to spend months trying to get the tail end of the cough away, then it's comes back, hopefully nothing sinister as pills do seem to help. Had 10 year check up too.  Nothing to report here just work work and more work. Diet started yesterday as gained over 2 stone and look hideous but just cutting down on everything, I just couldn't get into it when I felt lousy with coughing, no sleep and long hours but turned a corner hopefully.

nicky, it's amazing how well your doing, take it easy when first driving, maybe a wee cushion to protect yourself, or keep being shipped and chauffeured around xx

lily, dog sick from grass is just as uk eh.... have you booked a holiday yet? I'm having holiday blues already lol.

carole, sounds like pup is keeping you very busy.glad weather is a little better. But brighter here today and love light nights 😍.

better go and have a cuppa and to for an hour, rock and rock lifestyle lol

Community Champion

Hi everyone, after a few wet, cold, grey miserable days we have full sun today and blue sky, so I hope the weather is kinder to you all as well?   I have even had the wood burner on in the evenings.  Incredible for May.

Aero is finally getting the picture of how the household works.   Except for the cats! He thinks they are his playmates and terrorises them.  I've ordered an anti barking collar that vibrates (not the shock type) to try and stop his barking at them.  He doesn't bark at anything else, just the cats. If you could see the way he gets one of them, the youngest and fattest one, he pins him down to the floor.   Of course this is not the way to behave so I'm finding distraction is quite good at stopping him.   However, the cat seems to want to come back for more Smiley Sad Having had a pup Lily have you used a collar like this and more to the point did it work?

Lily I do sympathise with you for your Mum.  I don't know if they moan because they have nothing else to say or if it is genuinely a problem.    Every day for the last week everytime I phone my Mum she always says the same thing "I don't feel right but I don't know what is wrong with me".   Last Thursday she went out to a new day centre for lunch and to play bingo and meet people to chat to.   This is the only day in the last week she has sounded ok, quite chirpy and actually enjoyed the day centre. She says she has tried to phone the doctor but doesn't get through.   I believe this is because she is so impatient that she hangs up after just a few rings.   When I've phoned her doctor I've never had any problems.  I despair!!!

Better get on, hope everyone is feeling ok? Love Carole

Community Champion

Hi girls, how are you all. Carole there is no hope for us if it is rainy over you! It was so nice to have some really hot weather but then to lose it again grrrr. Well at least the giant wasps have gone back to wherever they came from. Mum has just had the next cataract done and is very low about the discomfort and quite difficult. I thought she would know what to expect and be ready for it. She asked me to bury her under the tree, right now. I said well it was a waste of a lot of money if you are not even going to use your new vision. I really find that side of her old age difficult to cope with. She went out of her way to go privately instead of a reasonably short wait on the NHS, got what she wanted and its still so ....  The dog has been eating grass so I'm wondering how long I have until that starts coming back up again. Better not go to bed too early.

Nicky you are doing so well. It never ceases to amaze me how fast the body can recover from major surgery. i know it might feel slower to you but I think it is really quick. Nice to start getting out and even better when you can drive yourself.  Lisa how are you? Did you have a hospital appointment or where you thinking about one coming up? Bet its horrible to come back to work. Are you very busy with all the changes? Love Lily xx

Community Champion

Nicky, glad to see you are chirpy and obviously making a good recovery, the pain is something that should get better in time. Is the pain around the scar area or from inside? If around the scar try very gentle massage. If internal I suppose it's a question of time.

Weather wise it's the same here. It hasn't stopped raining since 10 pm last night. Heavy, cold and torrential. Just after I was out with pups at 6am we had an almighty thunderstorm so I'm glad I missed that. I've had the wood burner on today as it's chilly and damp.

Love to all xxx
Community Champion

Hi ladies - from a very chilly Hampshire - what on earth is going on with the weather? I’ve had to put the heating on in the day, especially as I can’t get out of the house without involving someone or other to give me a lift. Normally if it gets too cold (and I’m sitting around inside) I go out to a shop just to hav3 a browse and warm up! Please send some of your sun Carole. Btw sorry to hear about the pain from your disc, it must be very difficult to get comfortable when the pain shifts so much. Hopefully the warm sun will help it, I find the cold just makes your muscles contract which makes everything more aches.

Lily, how about Bilbao? A short flight and a city that doesn’t have too many sights to take in. The Guggenheim museum is fantastic, a real architectural treat which Victor should love - and the exhibits are pretty good as well. A modern art museum, some love parks along the river and the old town full of character, plus of course lots of lovely eating places and bars. Would highly recommend it for a quick trip. Easy bus trip from the airport to the city centre as well. Just  a thought if you’re wanting to go abroad.

Nothing much to report from me, still recovering and taking regular painkillers which I can’t wait to get rid of. A few short trips out over this weekend means I’m not going stir crazy sat at home all day. A busier week getting out and about, courtesy of friends next week, then hopefully back to driving as it will be 4 weeks post op fir me, hooray!

Nicky x

Community Champion

Just a quick reply to Lily. Have you tried gaviscon for your coughing? I find it really does help the night time grumbling and tickle. I have to take my omeprazole every day to keep the acid in check. It is a pity that you have to wait so long to see the GP, even if you get an appointment.  Must be difficult fitting it in to full time work. As for the disc problems, I'm more in,pain with my neck and shoulder at the moment, but it tends to vary from day to day and some days it's my back, groin and shoulder that hurts. Other than paracetamol I don't take other meds, except a tens machine and a wheat bag and a hot water bottle on all the painful spots.

I sympathise about the wasps. We seem to be getting them too and they are making nests in all sorts of places, like my bird table and Mr Ps shed. Pups ate one today and appeared not to get stung😂. Good old Victor for coming to the rescue lol. Good luck with picking the trip away, I hope you win ha ha.

Love to all xxx

Community Champion

Hi everyone, lovely to have the full set of buddies back on the thread. Nicky I am never sure why they mention the emergency stop, maybe it is to scare people as it sounds very dramatic. Or maybe to make you think about the seatbelt tugging. ither way be guided by yourself and medical advice. It used to be 6 weeks after an op but I do think it should vary with where the op was. I drove very quickly after my bc ops but checked with the consultant. His test was can you put your arm in the air and swing it round. I was lucky to be able to do that within a couple of weeks, due to the location of the scars. Everyone is different. Anyway has this week seen another big jump in how you are feeling Nick and what you are able to do? 

Lisa did you see the doc about your cough? How is it now? I have had one for ages, just over 3 weeks. I find a cough really annoying and it has set my acid off too.. So I have a lot of empathy Carol. I have run out of tablets as they were out of date so bought some in the supermarket, but I was surprised how expensive they are if you use them regularly. I have free prescriptions so I should see the doc instead but there is no way you get an appointment at the moment unless you sit on the phone and I will be driving. You can book online but people book the whole lot as soon as they release them. So only ever emergency appointment for us now. I hope to not need one of those! Carol I was sorry to hear about your disc degeneration, sounds terribly sore, how are you managing? I think if they get too mobile, they often put cement in to make the discs solid, not sure if its for your type of condition but I understand it is good. 

WQell more blasted rain. Despite that we keep getting the most enormous wasps turn up in the house. They are really dozey and sit around right where you could accidentally put your hand and get a sting. First sting is always a strong one too. I think they are coming out the loft hatch so I am much too scared to go up there now. One turned up today righ next to son's arm where he was leaning. He's a real baby about insects and fled following my shout and run to a safe room. Victor is the bravest person with anything like that and calmly electrocuted the rotter and carried it out. We hid as usual lol. Well better buzz off. I am trying to persuade Victor to have a mini trip abroad next month. Just somewhere quick from a local airport. He wants to stay in the UK. Booooo. As it is my birthday treat I am pinging his conscience about who should pick the destination. Will keep you posted who wins. Have a lovely weekend. Love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi all

I realise I've missed quite a few posts but I've just had a quick read up so hope I don't miss anything out as I'm doing from memory Man Sad

Nicky it sounds like you have recovered well from your operation and I hope too, for you to have independance, that you are soon able to drive again.   How long does it take for the liver to regenerate? Sounds like your GS is keeping you busy.

Lily, how strange that Vicks on the feet stops a cough Man Wink I've never heard that one before lol. My problem is coughing at night too, mainly due to acid reflux.   I've found if I take some Gaviscon before bed that seems to help.   Anyway, hoping you are better now and sleeping again. Thanks for your words about YD.

Lisa how is your cough? I bet you are on a mega downer following your holiday, post holiday blues.

Our weather has been pretty hot and sunny for nearly two weeks now with none of that wet stuff. Of course that means plant watering as everything dries up so quickly here. After months of rain, looking at the garden now you would never know that.   Pups is keeping me busy so not much time is my own but he is slowly getting better. I'm still getting up through the night, usually around 6 1/2 hours after our last garden visit. Gradually we are extending this time.   It's a bit annoying if I wake earlier to go to the bathroom as I end up staying awake until the alarm goes off to let him out. He is still nibbling, he's not too bad with me because I am strict and won't allow it, but with everyone else he just gets so excited, so this part of the training is ongoing.  I saw a rhumatologist and found out that my lower too discs are slipping, one is barely there as it has taken the worst of the wear and tear.   My right side shoulder and neck seem to be getting the worst of it, physio only helps a little bit.   No fun this old age!!

Have a good weekend everyone, hope your weather is kind to you.   Love Carole xxx

Community Champion

Yes, all going well. I’ll only drive once I feel comfortable enough to do it, or more importantly be able to do an emergency stop which is what everyone says these days. Will be checking with insurance company first though to make sure they don’t have specific post surgery time scales.

BTW I realise I put ‘today’ in my previous post. I meant ‘yesterday’ as I hadn’t been to see my consultant that day, it had been the day before - obz considering the time of my post! Duh, all these drugs are doing my head in!

Nicky x

Community Champion

Nicky that's great news. Your surgeon sounds like a bit of a charmer, always nicer to visit people who are chatty and flattering. Only a week before you can drive!! Amazing. Can you have a little spell away from hospitals now or is your treatment going to start up again? Is there any restriction on flying for a while too or can you start planning some trips? So pleased for you. Lily xx

Community Champion

All went well today with the follow up appointment. The surgeon was so pleased with my recovery that he said I looked like I was coming in to discuss having the operation NOT coming in having HAD the operation 😊. I go back again in a couple of weeks for a further check up and arrange the follow up MRI which is part of the research I’ve agreed to be part of. Only annoying thing was having to hang around for a blood test (as you can imagine all the liver function tests were hit by the op so it’s a case of checking they are coming back down to their normal range). I normally either get fast tracked or have a set time for my blood tests when it’s for chemo etc but yesterday was a typical day in the blood sucking area, only one nurse seemed to be open for business so what should have been a 10 minute wait ended up being about an hour. Very frustrating for everyone waiting, not just me btw, and as I can’t drive at the moment I couldn’t really come back another time so ED had to sit with me as well. Oh well, only another week or so before I can get out and about in my little car so I won’t have to rely on lifts to everywhere.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi everyone, hope you are ok. I am disappointed the lovely warm weather didn't stay a bit longer. 

Nicky well done for managing to stay on your feet while that was done, yuk!  How did your surgical check up today go? I think you tend to knwo yourself how things are, so hoping he was pleased with your recovery too. I think you have done brilliantly. Lily xxx

Community Champion

Yes I did survive! And am not leaking from the tiny holes that were left once the wire was removed ha ha. A very odd sensation but best not to think about it. Our GP surgery is only a short walk from us so I set myself the target of walking there for the appointment but had YD on standby at home in case I couldn’t walk home through either fatigue or having passed out 😵 Luckily I didn’t need her services and managed to walk home. I do feel a bit more comfortable having had them removed and have my follow up appointment today so we will see if the surgeon thinks I’m doing well.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi ,just wanted to check you survived the dreadfull sounding wire and suture removal. That's one of the medical things that makes me squirm, like pulling drains out yuuuk. Hope it went ok Nick and that it feels a little more comfortable Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Feeling much better thank you - still on pain killers though, just paracetamol with the odd ibuprofen thrown in for good measure. This time last week I did feel really awful, a bit of a tickle in the throat (probably from the GA) and when I coughed it was agony, luckily that cleared up after a day or so. I have been sitting out in the sun at every chance and got OH to stock me up with lots of mags to read whilst out there - can’t used iPad in such lovely weather as can’t see the screen ha ha. A very light bit of gardening, just pulling a few weeds and sowing a few seeds so nothing strenuous, just left all of that for OH over the weekend. And getting out for a few very short walks just to test the water! Very achy where the main part of the op was on the first time we went out but feeling a bit stronger each time so will keep it up as this is one of the main physio activities they want you to do to improve recovery. OH, ED, GS and I went to a local garden that it open for visitors on Saturday and that was just right for me to have a bit of a walk around in, look at the lovely flowers and then sit down for a cuppa and a cake - bliss. The others were able to have a bit more of a walk to see the gardens as I have been there quite a few times before whereas this was their first time. Have seen GS quite a bit, towards the end of last week when I picked up a bit, but obviously can’t pick him up as he is so heavy now, he is 7 months old would you believe. But he’s happy in his walker or just crawling around and playing so doesn’t need so much in the way of being held these days. And yes, Lily, the scar is as bit as that! Much bigger than I even thought when I agreed to have it done. Hoping it heals well and sutures come out today, I’m currently held together with bits of wire so it seems but they said that this is the way they have found best so I assume they know what they are doing! Then a follow up appointment with the surgeon tomorrow, which is sensible rather than leaving it the normal 4-6 weeks after an op and will ask a few things like when I can drive etc. So that’s me up to date. How are you and all the family doing?

Lisa, your hols sound fab, what a lovely time with the family. Must have been a bit of a weather contrast between Florida and NYC at this time of the year. I know exactly what you’re talking about with the blue bag story, maybe speak to their UK office and explain? (I know they have a shop in London and probably elsewhere as well). Sorry to hear you had a bad cough whilst away though, that is such an annoyance, just when you want to enjoy the whole thing and get fed up sleeping badly because you’re coughing so much. Sounds like you and Lily had a similar bug, but maybe mention it at your checkup?  Hope that going back to work hasn’t been too bad and you settle in, or your new assistant settles in more to the point! Decide how things are before looking elsewhere as well.

Carole, how are you doing? Is the weather nice and sunny like here? We seem to have had all the warm weather for now but at least the sun is still shining for a few more days. For the first time I seem to be struggling with hay fever this year, goodness knows why but my eyes are really itchy and I have a blocked or runny nose, I could do without this!  Are you getting on with the garden and planting up things? How is little pup doing? Any better at sleeping and generally training? Hope that he (I think it’s a he!) is becoming more of a companion than a nuisance now.

Better sign off now as have things to get on with, most importantly getting my wires removed, yikes!

Nicky xx

Community Champion

Hi how was your weekend everyone? First of all, Nicky how are you feeling now? Are you managing to get round and about or is it still uncomfortable to do some things? I forgot to ask you about the scar and bruising, how has it been. A shark bite !!! I hope not that size. Still getting it done and the good result make anything worthwhile Smiley Happy  Are you up to playing with your gs yet> I am sure they try to stop you every time you try to play and have fun with him. Spoil sports.  Did you manage to get out in the lovely weather?

lisa you mad eme want to go back to New York so much. Our relatives want us to go to their other house in Florida next time but my heart would head to NY every time. i haven't the foggiest idea what that was about the bag. Couldn't understand it at all, were you on the sherry? Read it back and have another go. Who is this Andy that keeps appearing lol. Don't worry about the weight, do it when you are ready xx

Carole how are you? How is the pup now, still keeping you busy? Hugs Lily xx 

Community Champion

Hi all, I'm back but not at my best, coughing to the point of throwing up again, started 4 days into hols and managed well apart from 2 days when I was wiped out but struggling now I'm back. Tad worried as it seems to just keep coming back, couple months before hols said chest infection, went then weeks after back and said bronchitis , this change in weather and air con don't help. Boob check up annual on Tuesday and I've gained so much weight so a telling off. Need to get head into gear..

Holiday was fab, tiring but fab, we done lots of Disney and universal parks with kids, too much shopping ouch lol and a few chill days Andy guess what, barely a drop of rain, shocker, was dull a few days but worked out well walking in the parks.

new york was fab, we walked 28.5 miles in 2.5 days, the perfect pint bar next door was a life saver at the end of the night lol. I told the guy who collected us at airport it was Taylor's 9th birthday, he put balloons in the car and a presentation and music with his name playing when we got in, was so lovely, and on the way back surprised us with free upgrade to stretch limo, although looked fab, gosh, he drove like a loon and as if he was in a normal car on streets of New York, me and brother couldn't look half of time.

we done all normal sights, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 tribute, empire, top of rock, time square, grand central station and Central Park and hop on hop off buses and few well know places for food. Everyone loved the pedicabs incentral park, although it was a bit hairraising when they picked us up 7 blocks away and drove amongst all traffic, we had 3 together so it was a real family and funny time, taylor and Sophie loved it and I think it was mam's favourite thing.

i got a wee blue bag eek from a special shop but not a happy bunny, it was lovely, got it home and wore it twice Andy its tarnished black so complaint coming in as no way should that happen when you pay that sort f.money.

anythow that's about it, back to work, been to Liverpool with work and lots of meeting and assistant left after 8 years so been a bit sad but replacement seems good too.

hope everyone is doing okay and enjoyed some lovely weather this weekend. Hope you managed to get some vitiman d from the sun nicky xxx

Community Champion

Welcome back Lisa, love to hear all about your trip. Good to have you back though xx

Community Champion

Hi a lol, m back in land of living just, been wiped out since Sunday esp. with work, but wow I've missed your op totally nicky as didn't have to get on whilst away. Glad to see your resting and good luck with the check up, you are one tough cookie xxx

catch up on rest of goss tomorrow, of to land of nod xxxLISA

Community Champion

Hi Nicky, yes I often think we worry about the op and don't think nearly so much about afterwards. I always find that the initial recovery seems amazingly fast which makes you feel really optimistic about getting back to normal but its then followed by a much slower recovery stage as the deeper healing takes place. That part is the more frustrating part when you see much slower changes. It sounds like you have been through it then. Not sure tablets can ever get close to the power of iv drugs. Are you feeling more in control of the pain now? I hope so xx.Definitely listen to your body as I am sure your liver would not appreciate fine wines for a bit. I think the seta belt part might be 6 weeks like most big ops and anaesthetics, but might be a little more because of the position.Get the senna tablets out if the drugs continue to make your innards a bit sluggish. It works really well when you need it to. Keep me up to date on your progress and appointments. Is the district nurse popping in to check you out? Sad news about the cat but I guess it could have been a lot worse than his tail. I hope it all goes to plan and that he is insured.Thanks ed has 2 job offers which don't pay enough to live on and an interview for a job in a big firm who want a receptionist/organiser type role. I hope she gets it but you never know who you are up against and it is not her professional field.Time will tell. I have had such a sore throat which turned into the most annoying cough that started as soon as I got into bed each night. I have struggled to even get an hour of sleep in one go and then that started the acid problems off. The girls tell me that they say to put vic on children's feet to stop a cough!  It sounds crazy i thought but this came back to me at 2.45 am when I was sitting in the bathroom being sick through coughing. Would you believe it works for big people too???  The whole room stinks and Victor says I am killing him with the fumes but at least we can sleep at last Smiley Happy  Take care of yourself love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Gradually feeling a bit better day by day. I think overall it would have been better to have stayed in hospital longer as the transition from on-tap IV painkillers to oral ones has been rather uncomfortable to say the least. Generally moving around though much more comfortably and getting better sleep, although still quite uncomfortable at times. I go back next week for a check up with the surgeon, he says they do it sooner rather than later presumably to sort any problems out. I will ask then about driving and other precautions I might need to take. One thing at the moment is I don’t even fancy a drink so it must be my body telling me to wait for full recovery! Not that I was expecting or needing  to imbibe but just goes to show how your own body tells you what to do. Eating lots of protein and off the carbs rich diet that hospitals give you which is no good for bed ridden patients who can’t go to the loo! Tablets are OK to take but I expect at the moment some of my liver function tests will be raised as it is under a lot of stress and one in particular shows this up. Generally bloods were OK whilst in hospital so the op itself didn’t bring down other readings for platelets, etc.

I managed to catch up with some of the Commonwealth Games but mainly on catch up or the edited programmes as most things I would choose to watch were on at ridiculous o’clock - understandably as it’s their time not ours. Now just trying to fill the days whilst recuperating and not getting bored. In hospital I was so wired out and spaced out on painkillers etc that I had no time to get bored, plus of course all the checks they do all the time. If the sun ever does come out I will sit outside for a bit as a bit of Vit D is good for the healing process.

On a bit of a sad note our EDs cat, which we used to have at ours as a kitten, wasn’t acting very well yesterday. They took him to the vets and they said he had been hit by a car ☹️ Obviously a glancing blow but his tail is broken and they had to keep him in to see if he had any other injuries. Luckily (being a cat he has 9 lives) he has passed urine which was their main concern but he is having his tail amputated today poor thing. This, we were told, is because he won’t have any feeling in it therefore could get it trapped etc which would cause lots of problems. Lots of TLC coming his way and hopefully he has learnt his lesson and will stay nearer his house where there are lots of hunting and killing opportunities!

Nicky xx

ps hope your ED finds something she likes soon, Lily x

Community Champion

Hi everyone, how aere things with you/ I love the warmer weather coming in this week and hope it stays. Would have been nice to have a warm week away like Lisa. Carole has it warmed up in France too?

Nicky, how are you getting on with your convalescence after the op? That changeover to relying on tablets for painkillers can be tricky, so hope it is covering the discomfort enough but allowing you to be more with it. Are you able to drink and eat ok or not got an appetitie yet? Lots of protein needed if you can manage it, to help repair the body. What happens about taking tablets and alcohol, do you have  a set amount of time  you have to be careful for, or does it depend on blood results to gauge the speed of recovery of your liver?

Well I hope you are all ok. I don't seem to have had time to watch hardly any of the games on tv and just hear results on the news. Mum is hooked to thetv so she is getting a lot of enjoyment from watching it. Ed has been made redundant, which has been disappointing but she is looking around for new opportunities and has had a couple of offers already. Just waiting for one that fits in with childcare too as she is part time. Take care Lily xxx

Community Champion

Hi Nicky, I'm glad you now feel up to a post, another good sign. I won't repeat all my previous pm and text  good wishes and nags to be sensible and not try to do too much too quickly. I am sure you are fed up me playing mum to you ha ha.  Just really good to have you so well, so quickly and at home where you always pick up the quickest.  I hope this turns out to be a big turnaround point for your treatment, as you really deserve it. Take care. That's an order. Hugs. Love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

A very quick update from a very tired person!

My op went ahead as planned on Monday and luckily wasn’t as complicated/involved as the surgeon had thought so less of my liver was removed. They did get all the visible lesions (presumably there’s others too tiny to see!) which is good. It currently feels like he had a good old rummage in there, chucked things around a bit and then put me back together! I think it’s called bruising. So the op wasn’t as long as it could have been and I was back in the recovery (HDU) by lunchtime, totally spaced out but looked after by great staff until the next morning when I went up to the general surgical ward. They continued to do a great job on there and gradually removed all the tubes etc until i was allowed home yesterday evening. A bit of a shock not having IV pain relief but good to get home and start recovering. Still very tired, after all you don’t actually sleep in hospital so, after 4 nights of disturbed sleep I’m spending the time now catching up with sleep and gently exercising as the physio has instructed.

Will catch up with you all in a day or so. Looks like we will be getting a bit of sun as well Carole ☀️. A shame for all the school kids (and teachers) going back next week but great for me to sit out in!

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi all, just a quick hello from me mainly to say good luck to Nicky, remember that a 9 hour surgery will still only feel like an hour to you.   Hope you make a speedy recovery and will get back home soon. Lots of hugs xxx

Thank you Lily for your words about YD.   Lisa is still posting photos from her hols and gosh it seems like she's been away forever Smiley LOL

Wishing everyone a great weekend.   Hoping for some sun here and for you all too.

Love Carole xxx

Community Champion

Hi Carole, I meant to say congratulations about your daughter. She has done so well and what a great help she will be translating for medicals. She will help so many people and reassure them in a time of need.  Yes it is windows 10 here too but I have to use it quite a bit at school so at least some is familiar. Still trying to find documents though.Computers are so necesary but so annoying too! I have to find my own payslip and print it off now, instead of a welcome little envelope in my pigeonhole. I wish I could be organised and have a password I use for lots of things but never do and have so many to remember now. So annoying but at least if someone gets one they don't get to open the door to everything I guess. When is Lisa back, I have lost track!. Hugs Nick. Love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi , 

yes I am too, no idea why. Hugs galore. See you soon love Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Community Champion

Thanks Lily, have sent a PM xx

Btw is anyone landing on a very old page each time they access this thread? I’m ending up on one of the earliest pages - which was way back in 2009!

See you all soon

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi NIck, blazing the trail to help the next generation, as always. I am really pleased that they have given you this opportunity as It has been in your mind for quite a while now. Any op is daunting but it sounds like you couldn't be in better hands, so to speak. Very fortunate to be in a specialist area for this. Strangely I was asked if I knew anyone who would be a liver donor and read a little about it. I was rather shocked that the donor only keeps one third and gives away 2 thirds of the liver. So it seems we can manage with quite a small amount and then it regenerates. So you will sail through your part. Please pm me details of when you go in, as I want to be sending you my best 'white witch healing power'!!! Maybe someone could send me a text to say its done if you still have my mob number, or I can resend it. I would like to support you through it all if I can help in any small way. Brave girl and I hope that you will be rewarded with some good news that makes it all worthwhile. Hugs Lily xxx

Community Champion

Hi buddies

Glad you all had good breaks over Easter - and you might still be enjoying yours Lisa, not sure when you get back. All sounds very good with a change of scenery for all and a chance to catch up with family.

We have stayed at home over the Easter period, seeing family and friends but generally just getting everything in order as I have my Big Op next week 😬. I have kept quiet about it as I am not really broadcasting the fact on other areas of the forum (although will be happy to do so once it’s over and done with).  I had a consultation the other week with the surgeon who said if I were his sister he would recommend to have it done. It was originally planned for earlier this week but as he wants to do the op himself he realised he wouldn’t be in so it is next week. I’ve had my pre assessment and also agreed to take part in some research which is to deter,one if a different type of MRI scan will detect liver cancer better than the current ones so I’m still being involved in things that should help future generations. This will be a major op lasting some hours with a reasonably long stay in hospital afterwards, although our expert team seem to think I will be out pretty quickly as I live so close to the hospital and will have someone at home with me for the first few days after I get home. They are real experts in this type of surgery and people from all over the country come to our hospital to have this op done and the surgeon doing the op is the top dog 🐶 so I’m in good hands - but pretty scared of the whole thing! If Dr Lily, or any of you, want to find out more the op is called a liver resection so you can look it up online. I will be out of cyber action for some time so don’t be alarmed however I will be back in touch once I’m out of the HDU and being thoroughly bored by my spell in hospital. No driving or heavy lifting for several weeks after so even more boredom but I understand I need to get out and walk to aid recovery so I hope to be super fit as well 😀 

Anyway, onwards with a coupe of days of getting everything in place, including the garden so I can sit out once the sun arrives (it’s gone back into hiding after 2 lovely sunny days) without looking at it in frustration that I can’t do anything to make it look better!

Take care all

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi buddies, looks like you got told off Carole ha ha, although she did it very nicely compared to some of our interventions (I am appreciating that bec, in case text talk makes it seem otherwise). I recall a rather eager e-cop chastising me for saying bloody some years back, as we all know I like a good long b text at times. Its a good thing really, a good bc friend of mine stopped posting on here after a shocking reply from a troll after she revealed she was a widow. We do need people on the case at times.

Anyway back on track, I am just back from the big family holiday and my much treasured week with all my littles and bigs too. We ahd a variety of relatives pop in to visit as well  as we were really near enough to home for a day trip. We took all the dogs too and were so pleased to find a local pub that allowed dogs to sit under tables, so we could eat out quite a lot. I was most pleased being head chef ! I am surveying the washing mountain and trying to work out the minimum number of loads to cover the variety of fabrics and colours. Do you do that? I hate putting it on for a couple of items. Anyway it was black, white or other. We will see if all items survive the groupings, before being tumbled, no matter what the label says. I had an interesting conversation with Victor about his Brittney Spears cropped top and stomach sliding out!! He says I tumble everything and shrink it. I said I think more body is trying to squash into it, ha ha. I am doind penance for having been on holiday and leaving mum, so will be busy trying to get her cheerful again. Don't suggest we take her, I still haven't forgotten the last time we did. Carole will have a deeper understanding of this. Carole nice you have some brighter weather, are you planting yet? Take care this year as the pup sounds like it might try to help by digging them back up again. Don't forget some bulbs like daffodils can kill dogs if they eat them. Obviously not poisonous to squirrels though as they have dug up almost all of my new bulbs and left holes all over the garden, so disappointing.   Nick are you getting on ok with the latest drugs? Are they fairly use friendly with regard to s/e? Any news yet about other options they might consider? Brilliant news about your decade, mine was in Feb. I am a little superstitious but told a few people. You buddies have been incredible friends to have, through good and bad spells. So very very nice to have someone who will always understand and have a kind and helpful word or advice to offer. I don't know what I would do without you all. Special thoughts to our many friends who didn't get to today but have helped shape medicine for next generations by bravely soldiering on, so the drs could keep pushing the BC stats up so well in our 10 years, and the next. With much love   Lily xxxx

Community Manager

Hi peacock,

Just to let you know I edited out a hospital name / location you mentioned in your post, we generally do this to protect the identities of users on our open Forum.

Thanks a lot for your post, Becca at Breast Cancer Care.

Community Champion

Morning buddies

Nicky, I had forgotten that you had already had BC before the rest of us, it's strange though isn't it how diagnosis dates never leave us.   It has been a pleasure for me to know you all, albeit by internet. Hope you have had a chance to catch up on some rest.

Lily how are you getting on with your new computer?   Is it a windows one or Mac?   I ask because I found it difficult at first to get the hang of windows 10 when I replaced my laptop 2 years ago.   Some things about it are still odd.

Lisa seems to be having a great time with lots of photos on FB.

We had a nice time seeing YD in Lyon, although the mobile home we stayed in was a bit dowdy and as we were in the mountains it was freezing at night.  The 2 bedrooms did not have any heating Smiley Sad Still, we saw some sunshine during the day.

Since we arrived back home on Monday afternoon we have had a couple of very nice days here, the sun is lovely and quite warm too.   Pup is still getting me up at night, but I'm trying to extend the time.  His nibbling is the same and I think he gets quite cross with the soreness of teething.

Our GD is teething, but doesn't have any as yet.   I get lots of photos all the time and she is so smiley and happy, a real cutie.  They are very lucky to have such an easy baby.

YD has finished her 2nd year of her Masters, but at the moment she is doing training as part of the studies with a gynie dr.  She is doing translating for the doctors and the interns (I think they are the equivalent to UK registrars).   So in July she will be home again until she finds a job, or decides to become an independent translator. This will take a while before she is earning enough like any self employment. She has final exams in August and September.  I am very proud of her dedication for her studying.

Well I'm off to take little pups out for a short walk, usually I end up dragging him as he doesn't seem to like the big wide world yet Smiley Very Happy

Have a good weekend all love Carole xx

Community Champion

Happy Easter everyone. A late message from me as it’s been a hectic 24 hours with babysitting GS at our house then a few visitors before a family meal, phew. No chance for a sit down o4 even a glance at my phone let alone my iPad. Poor little chap seems to be back with teething problems, having already got his bottom two. Luckily for us he was as good as gold last night, just not a happy bunny today 🐰 😟Hope his mum and dad have a good night with him tonight.

Anyway another landmark was reached today with it being exactly 10 years since my secondary diagnosis. What a roller coaster I’ve been on - with more to come I’m sure. Thank you all for being there' our lovely friendship has helped us all at various times and long may it continue.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi, well the computer has arrived but my sites and favourites don't seem to be a priority so I am still waiting for them to all be imported for easy use. Just wanted to wish you all a Happy Easter. Lisa I am probably too late but have a fab time. You have got me itching to return to New York. We have been offered a place to stay in Florida if we go some time so that is on the list too. I just struggle so much with the flights.Just come back from a funeral only an hour away and been green as green just from that journey. Hopeless.   Carole enjoy your visit and Nicky enjoy your gs time. Sounds like a good time for everyone then Smiley Happy 

Better get back to packing. I have been getting hilarious accounts of what the littles have put in their cases. They were allowed to pack a little case of whatever they wanted to take extra. I can see us having a boxer pants shortage!! Take care love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Enjoy your hols Lisa, lucky you, very jealous. It’s what you need to get away from work for a while and spend time with the family - plus the bonus of sun and retail therapy - what’s not to like!

Carole - enjoy being away visiting YD and do hope your rain stops. Ours has stopped this morning but looks like it is starting again, and continuing all weekend and into next week. Not much fun for anyone. Glad pup is behaving himself a bit more. It is like having a baby again but I’m sure once he is into a routine, especially his toilet training, he will become such a companion for you.

Lily - you enjoy your hols as well (lots of enjoyment on this post ha ha) . You will have a great time in your barn with all the littlies running around. Fingers crossed for the weather so you can all get out and about.

Well we’re not off enjoying ourselves, just at home but will see family over the weekend. GS, who is doing so well, and is the smiley-est baby ever (as I keep saying to his Mum, way more smiley than she was!), is having a sleep over with us on Saturday as ED and SIL are out for a birthday celebration. Just hope I manage a decent nights sleep for when they all arrive for lunch on Easter Sunday! We will be pottering around the house and, weather permitting, sorting out a few things in the garden ready for whenever the sun decides to turn up this year. 

Have a great Easter/Pacques where ever you are.

Nicky x

Community Champion

YD not US. Flipping auto correct😣
Community Champion

Have a great holiday Lisa, I will look forward to photos on FB.

Lily I hope you also have a super family holiday, I thought it was usually Easter you all get together.

Nicky how are you doing?

Little pup has improved. He doesn't mind going into his cage now and I've been setting my alarm to get up after about 5 hours following when we go to bed. This seems to work as he hasn't soiled in the cage for a week now. I'm still having odd wee accidents during the day but this is mostly my fault for getting distracted. The nibbling continues. I bought him a bone that was stuffed with something but this gave him diarrhoea.

I had to have a blood test today, was assaulted 3 times in the attempt 😂😣. The results show a higher than normal CRP maybe the CT scan on thursday will explain why. More stabbing for the nuclear stuff.

We are away over Easter visiting US at Lyon. Looking forward to that. Just hope this awful rain will stop it's relentless, fed up with it.

Anyway have a good Easter xxx
Community Champion

CArol, hope pup is improving xxx

lily, enjoy, barn with all family sounds amazing.

Nicky, hope you are doing okay and having some chill time xxx

well, I'm packed finished work at last, just now and off at 5am. Talk to you all in 17 days but may try and get on line. Big hugs all, miss you xxx

lisa

Community Champion

Hi, sorry for my absence but the hard drive crashed and as the computer is 6 now its got to be a new one rather than a repair. Sil managed to save all the data hooray and all the emails but there is a queue for  Victor's work laptop as I can't be bothered to bring mine home from work or attempt to use a phone. There are a few around but no idea what their passwords are. Anyway that explains my lack of text.

Nicky glad you had a nice trip even if chilly. Did you visit the baths. I tried the water there yukkk ut you have to do these things once and it was my first visit. Any more news from the latest visits regarding surgical options? Also hope the bum stabbing is manageable, I bet your veins were cheering. Little GS sounds so cute and must give you so much happiness.

Lisa yes we are off when the schools closed, staying in a big barn which has 6 bedrooms and is open plan living space so the noise should be impressive when the littles all get round to hide and seek. I have 2 funerals to go to next week so not a good start but not family so a little easier than some losses. I hope you have a lovely time in Florida and New York. i have to go back!! I am really hooked on the West Wing on tv so really want to try to go round the White House if at all possible on our next trip. i don't think it is easy if you are not American though.    

Carole are you sure you got a pedigree pup and not a tiger cub!!! Little devil. Ours didn't like the pet corrector either. Isn't he interested in his toys and chewing them? Mine loved her flavoured puppy 'toy' bones and the rustling and squeeky toys. Even tearing up cardboard like toilet roll inners.  It seems a long time to still be crying. Ideas are a hot water bottle (if safe and not very hot) to snuggle up to, lots of cuddly toys (with buttons and dangerous parts removed), the radio on low, something safe to snuggle into. Otherwise go see the vet as he might have tummy ache from a food that doesn't suit him or something? Ours pood for ages and it just suddenly stops. Try a good play and walk as late as possible to tire him out. Also think about what times you feed him as dogs have something whereby their food is evacuated certian time after it eats, so changing the time he feeds may allow him to hold on longer. What part of you is he nipping? If feet, give him your slipper or wear harder shoes. i would definitely enrol in pup classes as soon as he is allowed. Most vets here offer and run them to help with socialisation and problems. Or ask the breeder as the problems may be typical of the breed you picked so they would have ideas too. Good luck. Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi to all

Jobey thank you for offering some advice. The situation isn't much better yet and being as I'm home alone (Mr P works away) I am finding it quite tough.   We have some lovely moments but many that are quite exhausting.   I'm not one for having animals in the bedroom so will have to put up with it. I'm sure it will get better. He is only 11 weeks old so still very young.

Nicky your break in Bath with the snow and deer sounds picture postcard, I have been to Bath it is a lovely City.   It's nice when our little ones can join us at the table. I'm so pleased that you had a lovely birthday.

Lisa, where are you off to??  Well in fact gone by now so have a super time.

Lily how are you? Easter soon so I guess you and the family will be having some time together, is it the Haunted House again this year lol??

I saw my GP yesterday about some abdo problems and am having a CT next week.   I guess it could be due to adhesions following operations but it's just a precaution.  She also prescribed me some stronger sleeping tablets and boy, last night I was out for the count, very unusual for me.  Consequently I didn't hear my little pup but ended up clearing up in his cage this morning, YUK? Getting a good nights sleep has made me feel so much better today.

Better get on with things, love to all Carole xxx

Community Champion

Hi all, 

nicky that birthday sounds lovely and the hotel sounds really nice and cozy as it's so bitter out. So you've a few weeks off from the hospital now??

carole, poor you with pup, I'm sure he will settle down lol. Omg the rain on your Facebook post was really heavy.

lily, are you due your wee break soon?

nothing to update on here work is bonkers as ever as we move towards becoming a subsidiary unfortunately the governance all needs to be in place very fast so it's hectic but off on my hols on Tuesday and so ready for it.... hope the snow keeps off as I've seen we are due it again.... we've had none this time round but 35mins away and covered, it's very strange.

off to bed now . Nite nite xx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Just got back from a very snowy stay in a hotel just outside Bath. It looked like a picture postcard with the deer in the deer Park and log fires burning in all the rooms. They had upgraded us to a cosy room in the garden where we had a lounge area with wood burner. Very romantic and just perfect weather for it. A day spent in Bath today doing some extra birthday shopping as OH had given me some spending money. Didn’t buy much but a nice top which I wouldn’t have justified for myself!  We had a lovely day on Saturday, my actual birthday, when we went to Winchester with ED, SIL and GS for a lunchtime meal.  GS was soooo good and had all the servers coming over him as well as the shop assistants when we went (more) birthday shopping afterwards. He now sits in one of those chairs that you secure to the table so he feels part of the whole meal rather than be stuck in his pushchair or car seat and is much easier to keep entertained.

So, a tiring but very enjoyable birthday and a few weeks off now from hospital visits -last week was jam packed but nothing that I hadn’t expected.

Take care and hope the snow has gone where you are - we had loads on Saturday night and Sunday morning but it’s mostly gone now.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi peacock, sorry if I'm butting in but we have had two dogs from puppy's and never crated either , they have both slept up with us from day one as couldn't bear to hear them cry if we shut them down stairs! both golden retrievers , the first one was hard work and woke me several times a night to go out but by 6 months was house trained and slept the night through on our bedroom floor , Gracie our current dog who is now 3 is a darling and from 10 weeks old has slept under our bed or on it with only a handful of accidents in the early days 😊

Nipping is natural with a puppy , easily sorted with a stern shriek from you or a squirt of a wonderful thing called pet corrector , it's a can of compressed air that works a treat! Only have to show it to ours now to stop unwanted behaviour! Good luck with it all and hopefully your pup will soon settle down and give you a nights sleep! Xx 

Community Champion

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the right person to have a puppy. Sometimes he makes me laugh and I think how cute he is and other times like with the nipping I do get cross.

Last night I walked around our garden at 22.30 waiting for toileting which took about half an hour but at least he went. He started howling at 4am so I got up and went outside with him, it was bloody freezing too, he looked at me as if to say let's play. It took quite a few mins for him to do a wee. So back in the crate, then off and on I had moaning until I got up at 8. Not much sleep for me! When I opened up the cage he had done 2 poos.

Now why didn't he do that at 4am? 😢😪😴👺

Glad you had a lovely mothers day with all the family Lily. How is your Mum?

Hope you had/Have a nice birthday Nicky

Good weekend all xxx
Community Champion

Hi everyone. Happy birthday for tomoorow Nick, hope they all spoil you. Have a lovely day.

Lisa how is the job going? Hope things are working out ok.More snow due tomorrow!! So annoying this year, I want to see spring as going away soon. At this rate I will be packing a dozen jumpers and taking my gloves and scarf. Good luck Carole with the toilet training. That's the only part I find hard work about new pups. Its a long time since I had one and I paid people to come in and take her out on days we both worked or she would go out for the day to family to play with their dogs. It was always too long to leave her until she was much older. I did use the crate though as she was really tiny and the kitchen is big with too many little gaps to get stuck in, so I penned off a play area for her and then the crate when alone for short spells.I didn't really have biters from what you are describing, maybe the puppy bones made of plasticor rubbery compounds. Ours loved the chocolate fragranced one. I hear the golden retrievers are surprisingly the dog that send most owners to A and E so labs might be the same at wanting to hold your hand a bit too much!! Its sweet. I never mind unless its my toes. My neighbour says the chocolates are terribly accident prone and theirs could never be trusted with a small ball without getting into danger. I am pleased you have dogy company again.  Lily xx

Community Champion

More cold weather forecast for here too but better than trekking around a huge garden in wellies cos it's so wet. Hope you all stay warm.

Little aero is keeping me on my toes. I am not good at 6am letting him out but he won't go out on his own, so a quick slipper shuffle on the terrace for "business". Then back in the cage for him and hopefully a couple of hours sleep in. Did your baby settle in the crate Lily? It's a question of Aero getting used to it, I hope. The play nibbling is also a problem as I try to avoid him nibbling my hand he shouldn't. Today he got me on the other hand OUCH.

I don't know how you managed a full time job Lily and a puppy. He is my full time job ATM.

Love to all xxx
Community Champion

Hi all, will catch up with goss tomorrow just been manic but popped in to wish belated birthday to nicky. I'm off to bed now although just watched celebrity bake off and can't stop giggling xxx 

Community Champion

Hi everyone, how are you all? I am enjoying it being so much warmer, so not happy to hear news of more snow being a possibility. Too much already as far as I am concerned. Carole the pup is certainly keeping you busy and that's brillliant to be clean so far. Our dog was in a crate as well when tiny, it keeps them safe and makes sure they don't over do it. Pups can be quite silly and do too much which I believe can become a joint problm for some of the more leggy breeds. Mothers day was lovely thank you and everyone gave me Nanna cards and gifts on top of the mum ones, so i was extremely spoiled. I saw them all which was most important and I really feel for you being apart Carole. From reading Nicky was one down too. So I was fortunate. We had a huge family meal here and everyone ate exactly what they like best. We call it 'everything out' dinner. The little ones love it. I hadn't realised we had started having titles or themes ha ha. My diet is completely useless as we also had 2 birthdays so cakes galore. i also had a box of personalised really beautiful cup cakes just for me. So hmmm cake every day. Lisa are you on a countdown to your holiday yet? so exciting as it gets closer and the thought of hot sun, fab. Nicky when will you hear about the op? Did they give any indication about whet5her you met some of the requirements or is it all down to the surgeon to decide? I hope you will have the opportunity to put your case forward and discuss it. Or even better. Surgery is a big decision which I am sure they will evaluate very carefully. I guess it is all to do with the position of it, so fingers crossed you get what you want. Keep me posteda nd it would be a nice birthday present to get your wish. i hope you do love Lily xx