322882posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling buddies from May - moving on

Community Champion

Re: Darling buddies from May - moving on

I'm back ✈️😩😩. Sorry for radio silence I needed a total break when away didn't realise how tired I was. Had a lovely holiday and latter half my headaches totally went and eyes improved so well worth it. Always rains a bit but try to avoid June but wasn't possible this year, well they had had a drought until day we landed, rained for hours almost every day so I now have a totalled credit Card and a collection of handbags..... straight home and back into all day meeting and evening meeting so slept most of today. Works all change new interim CEO in who will want to restructure our team and reviewing all my tasks, so sticking it out to see how it goes. I've gained 10lb I think and had to go for blood pressure and then bloods in 2 weeks so detox commencing Monday.   Although was pretty proud of myself for first time in 12 years of Florida I had a wee drive 😀😀😀😀.

Well just had a quick catch up..... Nicky amazing news bes I've heard since come home, both for yourself and daughter you deserve a break.... carole enjoy your hols, love Italy. Lily, you will be on countdown too soon ?!-!

well better go and get into bed, got a Fitbit and I love looking at my sleep pattern lol. Night xxxxx

Community Champion

Hey girls, I'm home all but too briefly as we are off again on Tuesday.

So just a very quick catch up, Nicky wow hey you are fantastico.   Brilliant news at last.  Sorry to hear you and your daughter had a scare but am pleased that nothing nasty showed up.

Lily not long to go now until you are on holiday, chin up for the next few weeks left of work.

It was fantastic to see the elder children and grandchildren, fortunately I have too much on my mind to miss them too much, but I hate not knowing when I will see them all again.   Still that's life.

So that's all from me for a couple of weeks, unless I manage to get internet somewhere.   Take care everyone and will be back soon.   Love Carole xx

Community Champion

Hey absolutely bloody fantastic news Nick. You must have sailed out of there on a cloud. Amazing news and it was about time something smacked the little ... where it hurts. I am so so pleased for you buddy and well done for just sticking with it and having a little belief, well a lot of belief. Hugs Lily xxx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Well, I'm sat in a very hot chemo ward but thankfully the cold cap has come into its own today! Keeping me very cold. I saw my onc yesterday and he had the scan itself on his system but not the written report yet. However, from the images the onc was sure the annoying lesion that has been resisting all efforts to shrink it has finally succumbed and has reduced in size - hooray. At long last something is helping. All other areas seems stable and nothing new that could be seen. I should know the full details next week but I'm happy that things are working now after a long time when they haven't.

Other than appointments and treatment nothing else to mention. Hoping you are all trying to keep cool in this extremely hot weather, especially you Lily as you can't escape when teaching.

Take care all

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi, well I am surprised that my post yesterday has disappeared?? Must have been when I changed a couple of typos so sorry Nick, I did respond the same day.  It must have been so dreadful when your daughter told you. Ihope I never know what that feels like Smiley Sad So wonderful news to hear that it is benign. Do they just do the test and if ok just say lucky you off you go, or is there any further checks at a later date? Its no wonder you put all of your own checks right out of your mind. I would have been doing silent prayers and deals to make her one be right.  Coming back to your scans, I quite understand why this became less of a focus. You haven't mentioned any worsening or pain, so there is no reason to think that this drug hasn't been doing what its paid to do. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for stability or better. I would love you to be able to stay on treatment for a long spell of time, you deserve the peace of mind after a lot of treatments and your heart issues on top. Quite a load you have endured so bravely and calmly. Amazing example for others trying to battle through. Keep me posted, you know I will be anxious to hear. Always by your side xx

Back to the rest of your post. Ha ha I know you are saying I talk to much, that's why you see my post at the top. Now where have I heard that before ?? The walks in the morning sound lovely. i will think of that as I join the long queues to work in the morning grrrr. Bring on the school hols! So pleased for your lovely girl Nicky. Good luck for your results love Lily xxxxxxxxx

Community Champion

Hi everyone, well on second thoughts, maybe just Nick and I with our buddies out and about travelling. I guessed you were coming up to another mid course check up time. I thought you were sounding a little oh well and totally understand after getting to the end of the post. The one we dread most of all, that one of our lovely girls has a problem Smiley Sad    I can't imagine how stressful it must have been, trying to keep her reassured and say it really is very unlikely to be a problem at your age so just don't worry. But actually the mind doing triple flips on the what ifs, etc. So thank heavens for some lovely news. really so pleased to hear that. I hope it hasn't been too many sleepless nights with it going through your head. I can imagine how I would feel, silent prayers and deals to make that one go right. Will they just leave the small area for YD or monitor it occasionally? I am not sure how they react to benign areas. You haven't really mentioned much about this treatment, so hopefully you feel the same and so no reason to think its not doing what it should. Fingers crossed as always buddy, hope its brought you some stablitlity or even better. keep me posted as I will be thinking about you. Always there for you xx

Ha ha I know you are saying I talk too much, when you say its always my post showing. Haven't heard that one before lol. Its been great weather hasn't it. I was positively cooking today and youch I wish my seats were suede or fabric so I didn't stick to them. Lovely to get an early walk in this good weather, I am jealous as I am usually sitting in early morning work traffic. Oh and trying to talk my mum out of giving up on life, which seems to be a common theme lately. Her sister is very ill with end stage copd, so its just down to luck if she catches a bug but she is cheerful mostly. My mum is so lucky for her age but she doesn't think so and its very difficult to make her look at her life a different way without being brutal and harsh. We have another little one with chicken pox and another whose incubation is up in a week and is very unlikely to have missed catching it from his brother. Especially as we told the little one he was actually going to turn into a chicken, Didn't really consider that the eldest might really want to be a chicken too and would start hugging him and kissing his spots yuk.  Oh well grandmother to a flock of chickens Smiley Happy . Hope everyone either watches a happy father being spoilt by his brood or has one to visit themselves. I suggested everyone bought Victor lovely things to eat. Can't imagine why ha ha. Hugs and good luck Nick xxxxxx

Community Champion

Hi ladies and I hope you are enjoying this sun wherever you are.

Sorry for the radio silence but sometimes I look at the last post quickly on the front page and I dont always compute that someone has posted!  Mainly as Lily seems to be the last one up and therefore the time etc can seem to reflect that and I forget to check the actual date of the post. I blame, as always, chemo brain and in this case not actually registering the date that early in the morning.

So, a few things going on that have kept me away from posting.  One is that is my week off so its nice to fit in other things non cancer related such as going for a walk in the morning.  I have been able to do this all week as I had no appointments (as such, will come onto those later) so I dont log on otherwise I seem to spend half the morning typing on here and not getting out for my walk. Secondaly the weather makes me get up and out but also means I might sit outside for much of the day when I'm home and we all know how difficult it is to read a laptop or ipad screen in bright sunshine.  Then I had my scan on Friday but don't want to make a big fuss about it.  It us was it is and I should  find either this week or next at my onc appt, it will depend on whether the report has been written in time, the scan is always available for the onc to see. And finally I had the added anxiety of YD finding a breast lump a week or so back and needing to get it checked out.  I of course was very worried as I read only too often on thus forum about young ladies getting BC and with my family history its even more of a concern.  Anyway, the good news is that it turns out to be a fibrous mass, very small and the ultra sound showed no problems.  However its good she has been checking and also that she got a quick appointment at the one stop breast clinic our hosptial has. Some releif as you can imagine.  

So that's what Ive been up to, plus enjoying the sun when I can before being plunged back into the dark depths of hospital appointments next week and the one after.

Hope you are all doing well and enjoy the weekend whether you are celebrating fathers Day or not.

Nicky x

ps apologies for any typos, the laptop doesnt auto correct (sometimes thats a good thing!) whereas the ipad does so I dont always check back.

Community Champion

Hi ladies,

Carole you are a regular jet setter at the moment. have fun with the family and enjoy your time with them. Hope mum is behaving herself!! I know how that change by the second so I will be very much hoping that you can have a nice visit to remember when you get back home. Italy trip is so lovely and will be very hot so be prpared with all the usual stuff, especially visiting Pompei. Nicky how are you getting on. I am completely off track with the dates and where you will be in the cycles. I did wonder when they will check up on this regime too, to see how well its working. Fingers crossed this will give you some stability, but I don't like quiet spells from you, so I hope all is well with you and the family. Hugs Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi all

I think Lisa's weather is still hit and miss but she's managing to burn a hole in her pocket keeping out of the rain, lots of shopping.

Hope you are both ok?   I'm grabbing a quick few days with the children in UK, off tomorrow and back a week later, I am so looking forward to some hugs!

Then once we are back we only have a few days before we jet off (or drive as the case may be) to Italy.

Keep well all and take care, speak soon xxxx

Community Champion

Hi ladies and whoever is on holiday, or still on holiday I hope you are enjoying it.  I'm enjoying the week off treatments as well as the lovely sun we are having. Nothing else to report but thought I'd just touch base with you all.

Take care

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi everyone. I think Lisa had rain on her last Florida trip too, must be the time of year. Not that it will bother her and she deserves a nice break to relax.  Nicky how are you getting on this week? Hope all going to plan and that you are managing any side effects withiut too much discomfort or annoyance. You haven't mentioned much so i assume this one is suiting you, as well as they can anyway. I am having a crazy week with my big GCSE papers all coiming up. i get anxious for the kids and then soon forget about it, then get anxious again when results day looms. Its a fast pace life in a school these days. Have you plants survived all the storms?

Carole I'm so glad Nicky and I were of help to you. I only remember things if I have been recently!!! We are going to Crete this year. Anyone got any handy tips for there. There are so many conducted tours to Pompei, I would just join one so you have enough energy to just walk around and not have any other travelling to do. They cost a bit more but you get a guide and they take you right up to the site with no extra walk. more importantly they drive you home so you can rest your feet and snooze after an energetic day. My legs really felt like I had been climbing hills all day. When we went to Lake Garda we visited Venice too. It wasn't enough time to really take it all in though and again roasting hot with big queues as in the summer hols. When I retire it will be visits in May and October ha ha. Funnily enough our central heating kicked in again yesterday morning so temps must have dropped as I just leave it on low all the time. I was surprised to see it start. I didn't watch the concert although there were brief parts on the news.The events were so close to Victor's office that it made me really uneasy. He kept saying that's next door and we eat in that restaurant  Smiley Sad  Every day I ask him if he has seen extra police or armed police on duty and he says not one every day, which i don't understand. It makes me very sad too and I admire the people who just carry on so bravely, there is no choice as you must. I am not sure how I would be feeling if I still commuted. Well i think I like our holiday chats best so I am hoping someone has some travel tips on Crete. Hugs buddies love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi girls

Firstly a big thank you to my two travel guides, Smiley Very Happy your information will be very helpful and I have printed off to take with us.   We don't intend to do much driving once set up with our caravan, as it seems train travel is very cheap and easy (I hope).   Many years ago when we stayed at Lake Garda we caught a train into Venice and we had a 5 month old baby at the time!

YD will be here with the animals so they're taken care of, although 3 of the 4 cats seem to be behaving very weirdly at the moment.   As for the plants, well hopefully the irrigation system will be effective, and there is always good old rainfall.

Talking of which, wow our weather has changed, although I switched off the main heating we've resorted to our little lounge heater as it has turned quite chilly.  Mostly grey and cloudy with a bit of sun thrown in.   Thankully not windy like the UK has had.  2 nights ago we had a terrific thunderstorm which seemed to go on all night.

Lisa has posted lots of info and photos on FB.   It seems that her weather has also been changeable but it looks like she is having a great time with her folks.

Did anyone watch the concert on Sunday?   It was quite emotional, the reason for it of course.   As for London Bridge, I remember that area well as I had family close to the Bridge in Southwark and Bermondsey. When I used to work in London 40 odd years ago I often used to go to the busy markets.  Our biggest threat was IRA bombings.   Today's terrorists have taken it to a whole new level haven't they?   It's a sad world we live in at times.

Well on that note I will finish now.   Take care girls and hope you are both ok love Carole xx

Community Champion

Hi everyone what happened to the sun? Carole have you got it over there? We have had quite a bit of rain again. I hope you found all our comments helpful to plan and be prepared. I did worry I might have said too much about the roads if you wanted to drive along the amalfi coast and would now worry as your hubby may be very confident on that type of driving. Victor drives hundreds of miles every week and couldn't believe how the coaches just drive at people. They are very skilled though and clearly well trained before they take to the roads. I am very envious of your trip as it sounds quite an adventure, How long will you be away? Do you have to get someone to keep all the plants and animals going, while you are away?

Nicky you have mad eme put Rome back on the agenda again. i love it, you can't turn a corner without seeing something amazing. Hope the plumbing is all plumbed now so you can escape and do what you want. The washing latte sounded magnificent ha ha. Anyone heard what Lisa is up to in Florida?

Lily xx

Community Champion

Wow, travel rep Lily to the rescue! Very good review of Sorrento and the two ancient sites. We have been to Naples and Pompeii a few years back, in September for our anniversary but still very hot. I agree with all that Lily has said about Pompeii but can't add anything about Herculaneum. Having visited Italy over many years, ever since my Dad got free or cheap flights for the family as he works for BA, I would have to say Naples is the only place I would never go back to! A very edgy city and we (OH and I) were constantly watching our backs, and our bags! Loads of graffiti, even on churches which I've never seen before and lots of begging going on, again as you walked into churches. However my brother loved it when they went so it's horses for courses I suppose. Rome I've been to about 10 times (thanks Dad!) so know it well - btw it hasn't changed since I started going when I was about 15 -  all the monuments are still the same ha ha. Just love Rome, wandering around the streets in between the major sites (sights? I never know which word to use). A very walkable city, lots of gelato should be on the tick list. Lake Garda was lovely, we went 3 years ago, the southern most shore and up the east side to Lazise which was a very nice town with old battlements. Lots of lovely restaurants and bars to sit in and watch the world go by. And a nicely paved walk alongside the lake from that town (and its small harbour). Very relaxing whereas I think you'll find the other places you're going very frantic and busy - but you should miss the main holiday season so that will be a plus. On your travels if you have time visit Verona which is only about 30 mins from Garda. A very pretty town, Romeo and Juliette territory with a Roman amphitheatre, not too big to look around and from what I can remember easy to park.

Regarding driving there are toll roads, as in France, so you can either use credit cards or cash, as I'm sure you know. Roads very good around the Lakes but have never driven in Rome or Naples so can't comment on those places and Sorrento sounds downright dangerous!

Signing off now as the other travel rep.

Hope your weather clears up soon, but at least it's watering the veg.

We've had a few unexpected sunny, and hot, days here which means I have been able to get the last of the holiday washing done, and more importantly dried, plus the usual bits that need doing. One thing I hate about coming back from holiday is the pile of washing that is left for me to do, it used to be worse when both girls were at home of course, and then the drying of it all. If it's nice and sunny I don't mind so much but when we used to regularly go skiing in February it used to be awful - all those layers, including all the outer layers and also clothes you wore for the evening which were completely different from your ski gear in the day. Drying that in February was never fun. In fact one year when we stayed in a great hotel in Canada I actually did a whole load of washing and tumble drying whilst away as US and Canada hotels often provide guest laundry facilities. I just sat in the lounge by the big log fire with my Baileys latte waiting for it to finish - now that's what I call doing the laundry!

Well, off now as my plumbers still haven't finished, grr. So they are back today to complete it all, I hope. Then I won't need to be hanging around all day and can get on with all the things I want to do in my own time, rather than dashing out every so often when they don't need me here for any decisions- or tea making!

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi ladies,

before I forget to reply about Italy Carole. We went to Sorrento lasy year and visited Pompei and Herculaneum. Pompei is the place everyone wants to see as its best known of the 2 but we read that Herculaneum is better so we went to both (on different days) and I am glad we did. Pompei is absolutely huge and we were shattered after walking round the small part we did. You definitely need a guide to get any idea of what anything is and to see the best parts. It was absolutely baking hot and there are very few places to find shade, important as we went in July when it was very busy. We joined a coach trip and it was well worth it. Walking round is extremely difficult as there are so many big rocks/boulders everywhere you try to cross each street. I saw a few people slip and fall onto the big stones on the day we were there as your legs go to jelly as its hard work getting around the place. So the most comfortable shoes you own but also ones that support your foot well as you will be walking over boulders all the time, never go in flipflops or you will probably break your toe getting around. Is it worth it? Definitely, we were amazed by the place. Its difficult to imagine how huge it is and how difficult to know where you are, once you get inside but such an atmosphere. I wouldn't have missed it for anything, even if I had only gone in a little way.  The facilities for the public are almost non existent. Take bottles of water in with you and use the loo as you go in. I have never ever been as hot as I was and shattered after walking round for 2 hours on a tour but it was very worthwhile and amazing. So amazing we decided we would go to Herculaneum as well that week. It is much easier to visit as much smaller. It was preserved in a different way by mud and sediment so there is a lot more to see. It was a much richer area so mosaics and houses are clear and better quality and even food can be seen. Gives you a real idea of life there and they are still excavating so keep finding more. Its easier to access and walk round and a lot more interesting stuff to see in a shorter space of time.Much easier to visit and even benches to sit down and look at the view. The bodies got to me each time Smiley Sad . So i would say if possible see both. You can buy combi tickets that get you into a lot of local sites if you are staying long enough. We stayed in Sorrento itself. The journey there goes through the 3 longest tunnels you will ever go through and we got stuck inside one for an hour because of a religious event, so check what day you arrive there, not a saints festival. The festival was very exciting and the whole town were really partying so lovely on our first day.They have toll roads to pay on so maybe have change with you. . We were told not to attempt to hire a car for the Amalfi drive and after seeing how the coach drivers go along we could see why. The roads are very narrow and winding and all the locals seem to know exactly which point to stop at for the coaches to swing round the bend to pass each other. It looks impossible and my heart was in my mouth most of the journey. Maniac motor scooter people without helmets everywhere weave in and out of the traffic, everyone hoots like Italians ha ha and accidents are frequent.  Think very carefully where you drive unless you are accustomed to very narrow mountain roads with big drops. One part of the road was single carriageway for some miles round mountain bends but the traffic light was always on red both ways, so no idea how you would know when to go! However the views along there are stunning and it was one of my favourite parts. It is the beautiful part to see, rather than Sorrento. Some really beautiful beaches and towns in the hills on the Amalfi drive and nice shopping too. You need to go there to find a beach as the shore at Sorrento is all deckchairs on huge man made wooden platforms that are all owned privately so you have to pay to even sit down. These great wooden structures are all commercial and block anything you can see unless you pay to go into one of them. There are some tiny areas of very grey grubby sand at the bottom of very steep cliffs but it was dark and dirty in places and I don't know why they say to go down to the bottom even, as the top parts are so nice and I loved all the cute little lanes with the shops and the best gelatto ever. Stay on the top of the cliff and see why people love Sorrento. Incredible views at sunset and lots of bars. A beautiful little chapel in the main town too. As I said before we went at the hottest time though so it will be very different for you. We went at the time when all the Italians go to Sorrento for their holiday so a busy time. We whizzed through Naples but weren't there long enough to visit. We did Rome in 3 days on a separate trip, staying really close to the main sites. I have to go back, it is amazing compared to anything else. Anyway I think I have waffled enough about Italy. I love it. You will have an amazing time'

Nicky I am sure you can tell Carole about the lovely parts further north too after your recent trip. We went to Lake Garda a long time ago so won't be relevant now. Hope you are managing ok and blood counts all behaving themselves. Love Lily xxx

Community Champion

Hi all - well Nicky and Lily as Lisa has jetted off!

How about you Nicky, fitting in a trip to Italy in between appointments and chemo, well done. Hope all goes well with round 2 today.

Lily I hope that Italy isn't expensive as that is where we are going at the end of the month.   Planning to do Lake Garda (we have been before), and stopping off  before we get to a campsite in Rome.   Then we are off to Pompeii (has anyone been?) and whilst here we plan to visit Sorrento and Naples and hopefully get some time to relax on the beach. I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to it really as I prefer to set up somewhere then do day visits to sights.

The new treatment for chicken pox sounds brilliant.   Back in the day I remember mine having it and being covered from head to toe with horrible itchy spots. I have a couple of scars from having scratched myself when I had it. Enjoy your treat giving.

Our weather was brilliant for a few days, like yours very hot and we managed to get into the pool to cool off. However since Monday we've gone back to grey, damp and gloomy but it is VERY humid. Also the unpredictable weather has upset the pool so now we are battling with getting the chemicals right, thank goodness YD is working in the pool shop so she usually takes care of any problem spells.

The irrigation system has been quite well set up now, so I am only watering our cauliflowers and cucumbers and a few pots on the terrace. Mind you with so much rain there is no need to water as the rain is doing quite a good job.

I am trying to see if I can fit in a 5 day visit to ED and son in a couple of weeks.  Haven't really made my mind up yet so it's just an idea.

Anyway that's all from me from a very heavy, rainy day in the Dordogne.  Love Carole xx

Community Champion

Hi everyone. Yes I can add my best wishes for a lovely break Lisa. Chill out and just enjoy the moment. Can I also remind you that nasty things with vision don't come and go, so that in itself means don't worry. Also as going to the US and having medical insurance, follow it up if you want and get gold star treatment. Chill out and do something crazy like having aholiday romance Smiley Happy . Carole how are things with you? Has the heatwave got to yuo as well? We have had sopme very unexpectedly hot days, which I missed while inside at work grrrr.

Nicky the trip sounds lovely. I spent a week in Lake Garda about 16 years ago and hope to return some time. I am a big fan of Italy and could spend every holiday there quite easily, although it is often expensive compared to other countries. Yes I knwo someone coming in from the Monaco grand prix got held up for 4 hours, so you did well. Did you plan your own travel around or join a tour that went to 2 centres?It takes some planning to get around. I hope today went smoothly and went to plan. Its crazy how time flies, up to 3 already!! Will they do some tests after 3 or go on longer? You haven't really mentioned any issues so I have assumed that you are coping well with this regime, well done. Well chicken pox has been revolutionised by some new treatments, so I had my tubes of special ointments for various parts of her body. They dry the spots up really quickly and claim to reduce the chance of scarring. She has a mild dose but the largest number of  spots are unfortunately on her face or just where you don't want them in the nappy area. Her eczema is not triggering at the moment so that was a blessing too as she makes herself bleed scratching normally. She was impatient and needed a lot of fuss and attention to distract her. We went out too and she was apparently straight into bed early tonight, so I did a good job!!! She' s back for a few more days so I have a few surprises hidden away for when they are needed. Bubbles always go down well as do treats. Well thinking of you all. Take care love Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Community Champion

Hi ladies - I'm back!

We had a lovely 5 days in the Italian Lakes. Firstly Lake Como and then Lake Maggiore (which we visited a few years back). Both lovely and quite different. So, although we missed the hot weather here we did have air con at night and far better scenery! Food was great and managed to slip in a few glasses of wine without wanting to upset my blood results. Back to reality today though. Blood test first thing, then onc and now in hospital having first dose of cycle three. We were lucky to get back though on the right day as we were flying BA. However as our flight was a late one on Sunday we only had an hour's delay, unlike everyone else who had problems on Sat and earlier on the Sunday.

Hope you have a great, relaxing time in Florida Lisa. A good idea to get rid of work emails!

Lily, hope the chicken pox doesn't cause too many problems either with little miss or you being able to get out and about.

Carole, hope you are OK and not spending your days watering the garden! YD, who was at home whilst we were away, did a good job on our new plants and everything has flourished with the warm weather and plenty of watering - not to mention the rain that we were told we had on Saturday.

bye for now

Nicky x

Community Champion

Just a quick one to wish Lisa happy holidays Smiley Very Happy

Community Champion

Hi All

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend, and a longer one that normal.  Rain hit in here today but was needed as been so stuffy.

Nicky, hope you have had a lovely break please tell where you have been and hope you have a wee break before next treatment xxx

Carole, is it hot in your town?  Hows your mum getting on, any news? any hols booked.

Lily, chickenpox seems to be going round, seems to be lots of it at the moment, so looks like you will be holed up looking after little ones.  I know bit worried about going away, going away with a blury gunky eye again, dont know if its bletheritis I have which comes and goes or if something else, one eye goes a bit blury during the day and bit gunky but then other times its fine, feels like the vision isnt as good so brain goes into overdrive.  Well Im ready for my hols which commences with MAnchester tomorrow and then flight on Wednesday am then 19 days in Sun, cloud, rain and thunder at the moment lol but deleted my work emails from my phone so planning a break away from work totally as it is so needed lol.

Catch you all soon xxxx Lisa

Community Champion

Hi ladies,

Nicky I hope your heart check went well and is continuing to hit all the right levels. I guess you are away or possobly back now. Tell us all about your latest trip when you get the chance. Chemo comes round so fast on thes 2 dosers, especially on a 3 week cycle. How many do you have before they start looking at its effect on the beasties? Hope you had a lovely time and got the chance to relax and enjoy yourself.

Carole are you still on your own or do you have any of the family home at present? It is so hot here, I was thinking about how much watering you must have to do! Take care of your arm.

Lisa I completely forgot that you might bein and out of Manchester. It tends to be Newcastle that you mention mostly. Yes I know the ideal behind not being scared and still going to places but its also hard not to worry and wonder if you should go. I am the same about going into London and the big shopping centres Smiley Sad  On a brighter note, how long until Florida now?

Our littlest one has chicken pox. You can't help but laugh when they are so spotty but she has bad eczema so it might be tricky. She has also been very sick in the days beforehand, every morning when she woke up. I am babysitting next week while her mum goes to work, so I had planned a lot of visits to relatives and places but we will be a bit restricted now. It will have to be playing in the garden and visiting parks where we can stay away from people. I have been out tonight and have eaten so much that i may have to sleep sitting up now. I am really not up to 3 courses these days without paying for it terribly when i try to lie down.

Well better buzz off. Enjoy the long weekend love Lily xxx

Community Champion

Hi all, here but busy with work stuff. Glad things going ok Nicky and enjoy Italy 😜😜😜

lily, carole hope you are well, so sad today. My friends were due at concert at weekend and my niece next weekend, I'm off to Manchester on Tuesday too. It's so so sad and v scary xxxx off to bed catch up better tomorrow although at work till 9pm 😤

Community Champion

Hi, well glad to hear that the jabs are resolving any issues with blood counts, even if it is another thing to add to your list of sharp pointy things!! How did today go at the Brompton? I assume from your post that this chemo does not affect the heart, so there is hopefully no extra worry from this one. I have to say its hard to keep track with 2 doses in 3 weeks, so keep your posts going so I stay up to date. Have a lovely few days away. Tell us all about it on your return.

Lisa how is the job hunting going? Are things getting any easier at work now? A difficult time. Florida must be getting very close now too.

Carole is it nice and sunny with you? We keep having changeable weather but it is very warm when the clouds stay away. I went to work without a coat today for the first time today. Up until now I still needed one early in the morning.

Such terrible news to wake up to this morning about all those poor people and children killed and so many hurt too in Manchester. Why would anyone think of hurting so many children?

Community Champion

Hi ladies

A quick update from me as off to The Brompton soon for my routine heart check up. Hopefully all will be good especially as I'm off the damaging Herceptin elements at the moment!

Both doses wet well this last time and now on my week off before starting the next round next week, bloods allowing. I'm on the filgrastim injections just before and just after the 1st dose now which helped last time around so they should be OK.

OH and I are taking advantage of the break between doses to go for a few days so won't be on here. Will be in touch once we get back. Ciao.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Nick -  just looking in to wish you well and hoping that your bloods have been ok to have your next 2 doses. Love Lily xxx

Community Champion

Hi everyone. Lisa have you spotted any jobs you like the look of yet? Will it be difficult or not too bad to find a job around where you live? Good luck anyway.

Nick how are you getting on with this dose, fingers crossed the second part can go in on time too, now you have the booster jabs.

Carole, I know exactly what you mean.I sometimes worry that I will end up saying things like that to my family! Its a worry, hopefully not genetic!!!  Yes mine makes a big thing about not being asked (not true), then insists on watching what she wants on tv and doesn't even sit with us to eat. Who would expect little ones to watch theri programme? She is unwell again today but sometimes I think her hygiene could be the problem as she is careless when feeding the dog and thinks a wipe with a tissue will keep her safe from bugs! I am staying away for a couple of days just in case. Good luck with the beta blockers then, it would be nice to find a tablet that did shed weight easily. i think I would join you ha ha. The meeting went well, she was a lovely lady who seemed to be as keen to save me as anyone else. She was shocked at my weekend duties but i don't think I have it half as bad as many folk. We have a huge range of things that could help - a cleaner, a carer to wash and prompt to change clothes, laundry, taking him out to a day centre, hot meals delivered to him, a carer to make him take medication. The list goes on. Then she announces they will not pay for any of it unless he is very low income. It seems like we will be able to have what he can afford, so probably not too much.  So its a 28 day maximum wait to hear her assessment. I still think I have made some progress as we will be put in touch with agencies to help and we can now have someone to call if he has an emergency. Don't you think they offer better care to dogs than old folk these days!!  better buzz off. Love Lily xx

Community Champion

Yes Lily I played around with the colours to brighten it up a bit.   I know exactly what you mean regarding what your Mum can say to cut through you, mine does exactly the same.  Usually her remark is no one bothers to take me out to dinner or cook me a Sunday roast.   When I point out that she barely eats enough to feed a fly what is the point of her going out to dinner.   Remember last August, I made a special trip over to stay with my Mum at my Sister's house, and she was a downright misery! All she could think about was "what time am I going home".  She never, for as long as I can remember, enjoyed having her grandchildren around.   Unfortunately, I think they do become very self centred as they age.   Maybe not all.  I don't want to become like my Mum!!! Let us know how the meeting goes.

If the Beta blockers help me to lose some weight I'll double the dose ha ha.   Seriously, he thinks I get erratic heart rhythms because I have to take thyroxine and it is a side effect.   Not great is it that one pill to cure a problem results in another pill.   I am starting myself off on half the dose he suggested to try and take less.

We're expecting a big storm to hit this evening, so battening down the hatches here.   Love Carole xx

Community Champion

Hi everyone. Lisa hope you enjoyed your meal with your old boss. the trip to Florida is a really long break, lucky you. It will be just the thing to pick you up and put you in the right frame of mind for a fresh start. I predict a tall dark stranger too Smiley Happy . Nicky how are you getting on this time? I am trying to remember when the hair goes if it is going to, was it a week after chemo?? I have my fingers crossed that you can stay in hair bands as I got a good covering very quickly afterwards. How many doses do you have before they look to see how you are getting on with this one? Everything crossed for some good news as always.

Carole that's a bit of a flash looking post, having you been trying out all the little icons? It looks good. Meeting is not until later this week so no news yet. Mum is in a terrible state about a house being built next door to her and just keeps telling everyone she has no-one at all, she is completely on her own. She sure knows how to do the low hits Smiley Sad   I don't think he will change his mind as batchelors tend to be keen on being looked after by someone else. They will have an absolute fit when they see the house though. I have to wash my hands 3 times as soon as I get home and won't even pat the dog until I have. Its very sad. I hated the sound of the stress test and particularly difficult for anyone with breast surgery. i remember a friend having an infection that attacked her heart and her telling me they expected her to be topless on a mixed ward with visitors around. Im sure they could do better than that. Sorry to hear you have another complaint. Is it from the diabetes or the chemo. As that can attack hearts as we know. Hope you manage to take the tablets ok. I always get the side effects so try not to take anything unless have to. My friend lost a lot of weight very easily on beta blockers, so maybe there will be plus to taking them. Love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hello girls, Nicky your chemo regime does sound hard, I’m sure my experience on tax every 3 weeks was probably better, not so many appointments and time in between free of most side effects.   You say your parents are still quite fit and able, which is great, up until the last 3 years or so my Mum used to walk every day and was pretty independent. She only had carers for around the last year of living alone.   We have all noticed that since she’s been living in the Assisted Living home, her memory has deteriorated quite drastically.   It’s surprising how quickly things can change. Your problems with the plumbers, is that for the bathroom? Yes our watering does take a lot of time even with an irrigation system because we have plants that need watering all around the garden and it is a big garden.   A bit silly of us really when putting plants in, we should have had better thought about where to put things.   Plus there is no shade in our garden, we’re south facing and have sun from 8 in the morning till 8 at night. I like the idea of yours, it sounds a good design.

Lily how did your meeting go with S W?   I’m not sure when it was exactly so it may be later in the week.   Fingers crossed they can put the right care into place and I hope your oldie doesn’t change his mind about extra support.   This is the problem with dementia!   Life threatening one minute but ok the next (metaphorically speaking).  Like the issues I had with my Mum and arranging the telephone meeting, she told them she wanted to move but has since decided she’ll be better off where she is!  Grrrrrrrrr.

Lisa I hope you have a great evening out with your old boss, change is often hard to manage, hence the sayings if it isn’t broken don’t fix it!  Not long now till a big chill out!

The weather is lovely here for a few days, I wish the pool was heated as I might be tempted to have a swim.   However, it does get chilly overnight still but I suppose it’s only mid May.

I’ve just been for my stress test on a bicycle with the Cardiologist.   There is no dignity in this test as naked from waist up, cycling, getting hot and bothered. After my 24 hour ECG thingy a few weeks ago, and today’s test it does show I have an irregular heartbeat. He told me it wasn’t serious, but hey, when I look up about it I find it can lead to major problems (I’m sure Nicky knows what I mean).   Anyway I am now on beta blockers, so yet another tablet to take!! I’ve been taking homeopathic tablets for leg cramps (during the night), and fingers crossed they seem to have helped.  Last week I fell out of the bed trying to stand and get rid of the pain of the cramp and ended up hitting the dressing table, causing a big scratch and bruise on my back.  Mind you I am clumsy so not surprising really.

All from me for now, take care everyone, love Carole xx

Community Champion

Almost bumped me lily

Community Champion

Hi all, I'm around just trying to get all holiday arrangement sorted, oh and no cv updated yet but must try this week. Work is okay just need to adapt to different management styles so bit messy at the moment, out for a meal with old boss tomorrow so that will be nice as never got time to say goodbye.

nicky, glad you got your treatment and even better news if you can get away 😁😁😁

lily have you recovered from your weekend of end of looking after people?

carole, poor cat....

well i jinxed it with my last post.... sun gone rain here but only 15 days to go then off to Florida for a 19 day chill 😍😍😍✈️🛩

Community Champion

Hey buddies how are things with you all? Thanks for the long post Nick, some bed time reading Smiley Happy  Well you seem to have resolved the neuts issue with your plan. Quite incredible what one jab can do, don't you think? I do feel sorry for you, so many extra needles though yuk. I think you sail along having them when its a routine but quickly go back to anxious again after a break. Its a tough cycle with 2 infusins, 2 blood tests and the GCSF as well. That's a lot of holes in omne poor woman every 21 days. Good job you are so brave as I am shrinking away at even typing it. Is the port still going well? I seem to remember that I would have had to go to have it flushed if not used beyond a period of time, not sure what that involves. have you had that done yet? How long does the infusion take for this drug? They seem to vary so much on the volume and speed that people can tolerate. Nice if you can be in and out fairkly quickly. Fingers crossed the next one goes in on time too. Get eating lots of eggs and nuts if you can xx  Yes it was a pretty busy weekend, luckily I did not have too much school work to do that couldn't be delayed a little. I cooked a roast and made a plum and apple crumble, which she helped me make so she ended up eating so much, she probably made herself ill! Ha ha she completely forgot she was trying to starve herself!!! Why do they do it? I will be very disappointed if nothing comes from the s w visit, as I find myself counting on it more and more. It took me some time to talk all our oldies into any help. In the end with my mil I conviced her that I was hiring a lady's help and found an agency that wore uniforms. She really got a lot from their time with her and everyone else in the house had a very well earned break while they were in, to not be on constant alert.  I agree with 5 siblings, they definitely should be able to organise their parents' care on their own. No-one seems to appreciate help/advice anyway if there are too many different views.Best stay out of it unless asked. With your tight schedule I am not surprised you were fed up about the plumbers, wasting your good days, the rats!!! Hope it will be worth it, when you see the new work though. Must go. Hugs. Good luck again N. You can do it xxxx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

I hope you had a good weekend but sounds like a very busy, non-resting time for you Lily! Bet you're glad to get back to work after weekends like that. I hope things get sorted though and you manage to get some relief from the caring for elders situation. Also that, Carole, your Mum gets all the care she's entitled to, and possibly forgets she's getting? Damn those bed bugs thoug, how persistent are they? We are still in a position with my in laws regarding care etc. Again, they will be asked by adult services what they want/need in the way of help and MIL will say that they are fine and don't need anybody. Grrr. To be honest I keep out of it, I have enough things on my own plate to deal with and as there are 5 siblings all living relatively close to their parents I feel they should sort it out amongst themselves with no meddling daughter in law to get involved. I also still have both my parents alive and kicking so know that as and when I would be more involved with sorting their care out. Which I have warned them about ha ha. Luckily they are both relatively fit and healthy with all faculties so they have a few years yet!

Lisa, hope that you are not getting too stressed with the situation at work, it must make for an very uncomfortable atmosphere. Add to that the thought of moving jobs after so many years in a place you love must be very difficult. I hope things work out well for you and keep us up to date - or have a good old twine to us!

Carole, scary about the cat, poor thing (and poor you!) plus an extra vets bill I don't expect you needed. Let's hope there's no more confrontations - and bills.

Anyway I did get my treatment last week. Neuts were too low on the Tuesday for my appointment but I took home some GCSF injections and by e next morning, when my actual treatment was due, my bloods had come up plenty, so treatment went ahead. I think we need to do this in future so my onc and I have a plan to boost the bloods before hand. Due for another blood test tomorrow, then hopefully treatment the following day. That's Day 1 and Day 8 that I have the infusion, then a break until Day 22,which is the start of the next cycle. Hoping to get away I between cycles but this will depend on whether Day 8 happens on time. My hair is hanging in there and I have some wide hair bands like you said you had Lily (I remember you having them) so it looks OK at the moment but I'm seeing I feel  get furthermore fallout after this current cycle of chemo before making any decisions about what to do with it.

A frustrating week last week with the plumbers, supposedly working flat out all week but, of course, ended up being late some days, not coming in at all some days and generally keeping me waiting around for them to arrive when I could have been out and about doing a few local errands. It wasn't that they weren't working on things, they are making some cabinets, but they hadn't let me know they wouldn't be coming and were actually doing the work back at their workshop, grrrr. I don't mind if I know what's happening it's the hanging around that is frustrating - so a few more days of that I think.

Have a good week, the rain has arrived so at least the new raised beds and plants are getting a good soaking, hope you are getting some relief from your 2 hours worth Carole. At least mine is usually only about 10 mins and I can stand pretty still to water everything as the raised beds are arranged in a right angle and the garden is small, plus the outside tap close by - result!

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi everyone, well we all have a lot going on at the moment. First of all, Nick were your bloods ok last week? I am hoping to hear you got the next one ine and hopefully side effects not accelerating too much xx

Lisa any interesting jobs yet? Its like moving house, exciting, and worrying all at the same time. Good luck and As C says, not long until your holiday.

Carole, I hope your cat is on the mend. Must have beena shock to have a haemorrage to deal with, as you can't hang around witht hat kind of injury. Well I have told my uncle about ladies coming into see him and cooking and hoovering and like most men, he heard the word food and said yes please to help, so that's the first hurdle. Unless he changes his mind on the day argghhh. Mum is really quite jolly today so it is no trouble at all reall. Its when she is either hysterical or plain rude that I struggle. I am happy to help anyone who seems to appreciiate or even want help. Sadly not always the case. I can't believe how persitent those bed bugs are and pray I never get any in my house.  Keep us posted about all the family, a lot going on for you to think about too. especially hard when you can't see them I imagine. Love Lily xx

Community Champion

It's the weekend!   Here's hoping you are all doing something nice.

Lisa, sorry that you are considering a new opportunity after all those years, but, sometimes change is good and it might be the making for you. It shows what a kind and sympathetic person you are, as you feel it's not good for your superior.  Also that you really need your assistant and are worried about her leaving.   It does sound, all things considered, that perhaps a move would be the right thing.   Not long now to Florida! Smiley Very Happy

Oh Lily, what a weekend you have in store.   I don't know how you manage it as well as a demanding full time job Man Sad  A meeting with Social Services will hopefully put your mind at rest.  There is a lot they can do, however, unless the patient asks for this help I don't think they are allowed to do anything.  With my Mum's carers they ask her if there is anything they can do and she says no thank you! Then moans to me and my sister they don't do anything. The bed bug issue is still ongoing for Mum, even though she has been fumigated 4 times. Fortunately she's not finding them on the bed but on the floor underneath.

Getting old is no joke is it?

ED is doing ok, and son's girlfriend is now 21 weeks. YD is waiting for her final results to see if she has passed her first year of the Masters.   She has to find either a 6 month or a 3 month work placement to finish off her final year.   At the moment she is considering applying to the World Health Organisation in Switzerland.   However, if she finds a placement in France she will get a small salary for it and is therefore looking at pharmaceutical companies.   Anyway she has time as it won't be until next April.

I don't think I mentioned about the drama I had to deal with last week.   Our youngest cat came running in (he had been out all night) with blood pouring down his front paw, which he had left marks across the terrace and then in the dining area.   I was by myself so couldn't look at it, he wouldn't let me and I was scared about all the blood.   So another emergency dash to the vets.   It was a wound at the top of his paw like above our elbow, a bite wound from another cat.   I found out later that our new neighbours cat had also gone in with blood on him, but wasn't hurt like ours.   Poor Ossi, he thinks he is Rocky but obviously came off worse. The joys of having pets.

Our weekend weather looks pretty grim, it's turned cold again too like Autumn and is so grey and wet.   I hope wherever you are, your weather is better.

Nicky, thinking about you and hoping you are not having too many side effects.   How are you getting on with the Neulasta injections?   Enjoy your garden this weekend if you can.

Love to all xxx

Community Champion

Hi everyone. Nicky how did you get on? Were you bloods ok to have the next dose? Let me know when you get the chance how you are getting on. Ditto Lisa, how is your hair now? xx.

Lisa well I am sorry you feel like you have to make this move but you never know what lies ahead and it might be the start of another really nice job and new people to meet too. Fingers crosse a pay rise too Smiley Happy  . The top one always takes the can for not knowing something has gone wrong but its a shame when its someone who didn't deserve it. You can tell us more when its appropriate. Good luck with the job hunt xx

Carole how are things with mum? I have managed to arrange a social services visit for my 2nd oldie next week, so I am really hoping they will do something. I was touched that she immediately talked about what they could do to help me as they don't want the carers to crack and go under either. We will see when she sees the bombsite that is his home and how he wants to live!!

Well a busy weekend as mum has no power for the whole day on sunday and its the second time in a month. It means she cannot use any phone, her emergency pendant if she falls or have heating, hot drinks or hot food. This time it is a weekend so I can bring her to mine for the day. The care agency have also rung to say they have no staff to look after her so I have to sort her out for dinner and get her to bed on Saturday too as well as the shopping for both of them saturday plus taking one to visit the other one. So not much weekend left for me Smiley Sad . Then the social worker and everything that will set into motion after that. i'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the amount to fit in and be responsible for, to be honest. But how can you not do it? Well I am off to watch some tv and make the most of this evening. take care all love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi all, I'm back, just off to bed. So sorry I've missed so much just wasn't in best place to post and moan lol. My boss is on garden leave, my job is okay however I've felt very mad at how he was treated and whilst our jobs are safe there's a huge amount of work to do and waiting for an interim CEO so in meantime other directors taking the lead so I'm feeling a bit out of control, out of the loop and it's just not nice, I like change but it's a time to do what's needed to get back in good book with our regulator. So I'm job hunting after 21 years and my assistant has an interview next week and would be lost without her help at a time that's going to be manic.

anyhoe enough complaining, 3 weeks and I'll be in Florida. 

Nicky, I'm impressed, I need a garden designer it's a jungle. Glad your having a good week. Hope the hair holds out xxx

lily, loving Britain got talent, some really good ones this year. No time to go this year. 

Carole, glad you've got a bit sorted with your Mam. Congrats re future granddaughter x

well thank crunchier it's Friday tomorrow and wine o clock day, after a swim 😁😍🍾

Community Champion

Hi everyone. Firstly Nicky I hope your blood levels are all where they need to be this time so you can have the next dose. Let me know how it goes. We could do with some warmer weather so you can sit outside and enjoy the hard work you put into the garden. Have you got lots of watering too? Its funny weather her, as Carole says quite cool when the sun goes in. I feel I need my warm coat in the mornings as the car is so cold but can hardly stand to even wear it to walk to the car by the afternoon. Hope we have a very hot summer but I won't be holding ym breath for that one.  Lisa how are things with you?

Carole that was a nice long post to read Smiley Happy It sound slike your mum is getting more care than she realises, although I bet they try to just wave hello to save time when they can. My mum pays for 45 minutes and so often they are in and out in 20 minutes, complaining that they have too many people to see. Then they complain they don't have enough work, so its clearly a difficult job to be in. What annoys me most is that she 3 calls a day and pays in full for all of them. When they have a gap before they are due to visit her, some of them will try to give her dinner and put her to bed at 4.15 instead of the evening call just so they can go home early. She is really on the ball and then all the disruptions start again! Mum was so cross about the builders she said I'm going to buy a agun. Lol one of the littles heard her and said she 's getting a gun, what's she going to do with it. I had to pretend she meant a water pistol and was going to squirt the naughty builders !!! She's been for x rays in case her leg is broken but as it happened a week ago and she has been walking on it, I think it must be unlikely. She enjoys the fuss of medical appointments so has anything they suggest. My other oldie is her brother who has dementia. Its getting very demanding on my time and I think will become very upsetting as I have poa and have to make the decisions. I also get hisshing and eveything else to do so am struggling with the 2 of them. They have another sibling too, all of them very old and local and needing help but I mainly have the 2 to look after. What lovely news about a grandaughter. Is it the same couple who sadly lost one? Such lovely news. My favourite news is always babies and weddings. i would love a lottery call too but I doubt I will ever be lucky enough to get one of those so I can retire. Well I enjoy working and at least I am not available 24/7 because of it. Well better buzz off. Has anyone been watching BGT? Some amazing kids on there this time. I laughed at the little girl magician with the box they couldn't pick up. I think you have been to watch the show some years Lisa, will you be able to go this time?

Good luck Nick. Love Lily xxx

Community Champion

Hi girls

I’ve missed a few posts so just catching up on the last 2.   Lily thanks for asking, the conference call went well, and basically what came to light is that Mum gets extremely confused.  She tells me that the Carers only go to see her once a day but when the SS person checked in her Care Book it clearly states they go in more, and he confirmed they should go in much more than once a day.   However if they see Mum in the lounge then they might not go to her room, as they know she was ok.  She stated that she does want to move back to the area she used to live, however, there are only 3 Council run homes and none are 24 hour support.   They’re also not exactly in the area Mum was hoping for, so I doubt anything will happen.   Veg wise we have some lettuces, some cucumbers, some Romanesco cauliflowers we also have some raspberries, blackberries and blueberries so fingers crossed we get a reasonable crop. I do watch my “bad” arm thank you for asking, that’s why it takes me so long because I can only carry 2 litres at a time.   I love wild flower gardens!  I’m sorry to hear about your Mum’s builder, how horrid to do that to an elderly lady, where has “respect for the elders” gone! I know exactly how you must feel with what your Mum says, my Mum said exactly the same a few weeks back and it is so worrying. I hope that her bruise heals. Who is the other oldie? I don’t remember but I’m sure you’ve told us before.   Poor you, you must be finding it difficult coping with everyone and everything going on.

Nicky your designer garden sounds fantastic, it’s ok to chop and change a little bit to suit what you particularly like.   Isn’t it exciting to go shopping for baby bits,  I’ve been collecting those useful bits that new parents need like toiletries etc. and I will buy a few little outfits nearer the end.   I think it’s ridiculous the price of some of these designer buggies, cots etc.   How do young parents to be afford it!   It’s the same here in France, baby items are so expensive unless you go to the supermarket and buy bog standard.   Also a new bathroom, well why not. How exciting. Wishing you good luck for your chemo week and hope your bloods are ok.

Lisa how are you?

We are having a new granddaughter!   They’re so pleased as they wanted a girl, deep down but of course would have been happy whatever as long as healthy.  So I will be buying pink and lemon and girly colours.   Baby is due mid-September so I have time to collect bits.

Things tick over here, we’ve had some nice weather with plenty of sunshine, but when the clouds cover the sun it can get quite chilly so not consistent.   Next week the forecast is for temperatures of upper 20’s which will be very nice but of course means lots of watering.   We’ve been planning our touring holiday and plan to visit Lake Garda, Venice, Cesenatico, Rimini, Florence, Rome and then Pompeii where I believe it is close to Naples and Sorrento.   It’s a lot of places to visit so I’m not sure I will cope with all the travelling and sightseeing but I will give it a good try.

That’s all from me for now, love Carole xx

Community Champion

Hi everyone, I can't believe it is May already, time seems to be getting faster and faster! Is that a sign of old age ha ha. Carole how did you get on with the conference call about your mum? Has anything happened from it? You have so much watering to do, are you careful about lymphoedema, as I think you have beent roubled by it at times? Are you pretty much self sufficient on fruit and veg, as that sounds like a lot of plants?  You sounded a bit more cheery this post so I hope that reflects how you are feeling too x.  Lisa well I think Florida must be your favourit place but so expensive! Are the whole family going again? I seem to remember some years you also take a neice. Any thing you can tell us about work yet? Hope you are feeling a little better about that too x.

Nicky, what with you and Carole, both got green fingers from the sound of it. Yes its terribly posh to have someone design a garden bed! Lucky you and I hope you had a great deal of fun doing it and working out what you wanted the end result to be. Sounds like plenty of watering for you too this summer. I think a big exercise like that makes you feel like you have really achieved something though. We managed to get our wild garden section down to a sensible level in time to enjoy hundreds of bluebells but just a fortnight of being too busy to do any more and the whole lot is up to waist height. So I am now too scared to walk through it because of snakes, after seeing an adder yuk! Need to send in the very tall brave Victor who is not scared of anything at all, except if  he thinks I am going to tickle his feet!  You have to keep them in control ha ha. How lovely to go shopping for baby things, its always difficult to know how small to go or how big. We had a 5lb grandson who wouldn't even manage in tiny baby size. He was just swamped by them and being January a snowsuit was unbelievably hard to find and a hat that wouldn't go right over his whole face. then we had a 9lb grandson who couldn't even get in the first size and none were worn at all. Do you know what sex the baby is? Sorry if you have already told us. Yes that is a very expensive buggy. The thing is those ones designed for new born that convert are not much use after 6 months as they are always too large and cumbersome to be bothered to keep getting in and out of cars. I didn't buy the buggies/pushchairs but I think the person who did was rather disappointed when it was discarded for an easier to use, trendier one so quickly. Depends on what you do really, a car driver or walker with the baby. I always buy a new moses basket for each one as 2nd hand matresses are now considered dangerous if stored. Then I usually get one of the bouncers that they sit in when tiny. They chuck them away after each baby, so I have not got into the habit of buying an investment type item. Money in a savings account is lovely too, to set them off on their way. I svaed all my items for the next baby unless they got worn out, but it is a throw away society, this next generation whereas I loved reliving happy memories of previous babies.   Your hair sounds exactly how mine went. Do you remember I had extra wide hairbands? I also found the scarves that tie like a hairband were good too. Mine filled in really quickly afterwards and that was when I had a pixie cut, rather than before it grew. It was surprisingly quick.However I did keep having the cold cap, so maybe that worked. It kept me eyelashes and brows too.  See how you go. Fingers crossed that your bloods will allow for the next dose. Have fun with the bathrooms , you can never have too many!

I am super busy at work but with my oldies too. Mum is having terrible trouble with a builder who is trying to take her land because he cocked up hi dimensions to squash in a new house on land between her and the neighbour. She is very low and refusing to eat, says she does't want to be here and would take too many tablets if she was brave enough. She has also had an accident, which without much clotting in her blood has made a colossal black bruise and big bubble of blood. If it bursts its an ulcer so touch an go with that again. I have told her I'm not ready to be an orphan yet! My other oldie is starting to do very strange things with his dementia and I have had to ask for help, which was turned down so a battle to do there. I am doing all his washing which is very difficult to even pick up to be honest and try to make sure he is safe and eats. Not enough hours in the day to keep an eye on everyone, have a full time job and see my own family. Thankfully insomnia is very handy, you can fit so much more in when you only sleep 6 hours. That must be the silver lining. Oh what a moaner, sorry. The easter eggs are taking a battering from the stress. Have a lovely weekend all. Nick get eating eggs and nuts love Lily xxx

Community Champion

Hi buddies, hope your week's have all bee OK.

I have enjoyed a week away from all hospital appointments which, after the busy few months I've just had, has been great. I've been able to get on with various clearing out bits I've needed to do as well as just pootling around. I have managed to get most of the suggested plants for our new raised beds - we had a 'designer' in (get me!) who helped with a planting plan. Nothing too grand, and I know her way back in the day when our youngest daughter's were friends at primary school, but it helped with suggestions and gave me a good idea of what to put where. I have gone off piste a bit as I didn't like some of the plant suggestions but I've stayed true to the size/type/colour etc of those I changed. Very happy with the result so far, still need to add a few other bits but these will be bulbs which can't be planted until the Autumn. Very fragrant which is what we wanted as the beds are near a patio area which will be in the sun - when we eventually get some! Then ED was off work this week for some time off and decorating the baby's room, so we went off shopping yesterday morning, looking at baby bits. Bought a few outfits which she now has plenty of to start with and looked at the ridiculous prices of buggies etc, and, no, OH and I are not buying it for them despite big hints being dropped by the parents to be! One combo we saw in mothercare was £1150! You could buy a second hand car for that!

All I all a good week and chemo starts again, bloods allowing, next week. SEs have been OK and hair shedding has reduced, although it still comes out a bit. I've been wearing a wide hairband that I bought as the top is the worst, very Bobby Charlton! But we will see what happens after the next dose before I decide to cut it all off or not. The ladies already on this chemo have said this tends to happen but I will have to see how much I've lost and if I can have my hair cut or trimmed in such a way that I can disguise the thin bits as and when I need to.

So, that's me up to date, other than a new bathroom being fitted next week, into a small bedroom we don't use, which will be a huge difference with much more space and more light than our existing en suite and main bathrooms. If it goes smoothly we may eventually knock the other two existing ones into one bigger bathroom as well to balance things out.

Have a good weekend

Nicky. X

Community Champion

Hi all, I'm around just haven't logged onto iPad at nights. I'm okay ta but I'll catch up tomorrow night when I'm more awak. Hope everyone is doing okay and 2nd dose is going okay Nicky. Roll on 4 week today I'll be in Florida 😘😍

Community Champion

Hi , our thread was a long way down today? How are you all? Nicky how are you getting on with dose 2? Any change in intensity. I was thinking the dropping blood counts might be helped a bit by eating foods that boost your counts maybe? Hopefully you won't get the other count going over the top and that it was left over from previous treatments rather than from this new one. Did you get your planting done?  Lisa are you able to tell us what is happening about work yet? Hugs buddy x  Carole have you got some good news about your mum's bed yet? Also hoping things are picking up for you as I know you had a lot on your mind. I am just really busy with work and lots of babysiting which I love but does mean I get really behing in work if not careful. I had my little grandaughter for the weekend which was a real flash back to my girls  as she is the spitting image of ED. She likes pink so whever I asked her what she wanted to eat she said pink cake or pink cereal! Luckily she settled for a box of cereal with a pink label.She was very good as it was her first time away and she's an only child so no-one else for moral support, like when we had the 3 boys. Its like a boarding house. I love it Smiley Happy Take care Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi everyone. Well done Nick, glad they managed to 'poison you' . I did laugh at the neuts going crazy as mine did on the day 1 and then day 8 chemo I had, as I was convinced I was going to be on my knees and instead they seemed to like the challenge. Although you have the jabs, it will be lovely to reduce the number. Do you bruise much from them? Do you know what sex the baby is?  The flower beds sound like hard work and I would definitley have arranged it for when I was on the sofa ha ha. However, I know you will thoroughly enjoy organising it all, just don't do too much and wear gloves in case of gremlins! Take care and remember all the 'on chemo'rules to keep yourself well.   Lisa how are things now? Enjoy the weekend coming up.

Carole I am glad you are able to get some input in your mum's care, good for you. She needs someone to speak up for her. I sort of know what your sister means by the fallout, being on the emotional rollercoasters my mum has even when someone has a good idea. Sometimes its hard to face a new challenge but what a lovely idea for her to goto her home town. is there a suitable place available? Mine has told me at least once a fortnight she looks at paracetamol and isn'y brave enough! So many times, I am afraid I just give her the look and she stops. I hope your mum is not serious. Mine has hugely swollen feet and then i remind her to swing her leg rest up on her electric chair of put something under the base of the bed matress to raise her feet. Not sur eif this would help your mum? Mine is on water tablets for it too.  I am also looking after her brother now who has dementia and has been keeping me very busy, a real worry. This week we had  another crisis and have had to ask for social care help as I just can't be there every day let alone every meal. He's lovely but had a fall and it was nearly a  disaster and people had to break in to save him. Just what I din't need, sorry that sounds selfish. Carole my brother and I are the same so we have made a pact to stick together and mostly it works. Mum says we are thick as thieves but its a survival thing. Well enough moaning from me and speak soon. Love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi girls

Nicky I am so sorry that your hair seems to be falling out, how rotten, how many times is that now????   Hopefully, with many fingers crossed for you, it will only thin slightly – mind you if mine thinned I would have none it is so thin and fine anyway – is the cold cap as uncomfortable as I’ve read?   Are you remembering to wear very dark protective nail polish to protect your nails?   I can’t imagine your regime of chemo, every week for 3 weeks??   Mine was once every three weeks so at least I had a break of sorts.  Yes I remember well the dreaded steroids.   I tried to do the last few chemo’s with much less than prescribed, simply because although they’re great drugs they do have their own side effects. Your garden sounds lovely poor Mr Nicky bringing home all those bags of gravel – I am sure he can cope lol – all the veg and herbs you mention should be quick to grow, our radishes usually are ready to eat by 8 weeks after planting.   There is nothing like home grown veg and herbs.   Happy soil transferring over the weekend lol. These last few days have been chillier here, and I’ve needed to light the wood burner in the evenings.   We had a day of rain yesterday, which I was grateful for as watering the garden takes me around 2 hours.   We had a tiny frost overnight, thank goodness we haven’t put out the young seedlings yet, and today sunny but cold, and then torrential rain this evening.   A very strange mixed bag of weather.

Lily you always give us such good advice, I hope that your words of wisdom have given Lisa some encouragement. I can imagine how busy this last term is for you so make sure you enjoy half term at the end of May.   I’ve never been to Crete, but it sounds lovely and anywhere and everywhere is always on my wish list lol. At least for your dislike of flying it’s not too long.  Good luck with all the marking.

Lisa, good advice from our buddies, how are you?

I have set up a meeting at my Mum’s home with two of the social workers and I have insisted that I am in on a conference phone meeting which will be next week.   It will be to raise several concerns about the level of care my mum should have, and clearly not getting, and also to ask if she could be rehomed in her town she lived for over 6o years. I’m not optimistic that this is possible, but, at least my Mum knows I am trying to do something.   She is very depressed, has talked about ending her life (to my aunt) and is suffering more confusion day by day.   She has had swollen feet for around 4 months, which is now spreading up her legs.   She’s on water tablets and obviously they’re not helping.   She has heart problems, vascular problems, possible kidney problems and all of these could be causing the swelling.   So could lack of activity and walking.   She walks far less now than she used to.   I am at loggerheads with my sister, she can’t be bothered about getting Mum moved to somewhere better and so thinks it is all a waste of time and in her words “can’t handle the fall out on her own”.   I hate having confrontation with those I love so it is very difficult, and I’m simply not there, but my sister is!   She is in control of everything financially (I don’t have a problem with this) and because she is the sort of personality she is, she is never in the wrong! She is stressed about everything in her life, even her cat jumping up on her worktops!!!!   As you can tell, I am torn between love and doing the best for Mum and love and not arguing with my elder sister.   It is all very difficult, especially as I am not there.   I feel so guilty about that.   I also have my own children's problems, all in all everyone seems to have problems at the moment.

Sorry for such a long post,   enjoy your weekend with the extra day, whatever you do and I hope the sun shines for all of us.

Love Carole

PS thank you so much for listening, it does help!

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Yes, chemo went ahead as my neuts had gone through the roof with the injections. Quite literally it seems as they were being flagged up as too high in the blood tests. I'll need the injections at the beginning of each cycle but not for the second part of the dose which is on day 8 as they should be boosted enough for that and then recover enough for the next cycle. I had thought I'd need to be injecting for about 14 days out of 21 which I wasn't looking forward to I can tell you. The hair is definitely coming out but I will see if it stops at the thinning stage or carries on to the moth eaten stage before deciding whether to but/shave it all of. SEs have so far been minimal this time around and I'm trying not to take any more steroids as I need to as they don't half interrupt your sleep, if you remember!

Lisa, good advice as ever from Lily, sorry I'm not much support on this matter but I've never been in your position so can't offer any guidelines other than stand up for No 1 ie YOU, and don't get trodden on, involve any union representatives or outside advice such as CAB if it looks like blame will be put in you in any way that is not your fault.

Lily, start counting down, and you do have another short break from work coming up at the end of next month to look forward to, hopefully it will be warmer than it is at the moment, frost again in the south this morning and looked like snow in your neck of the woods Lisa. Presumably not quite so cold in France, Carole?

OH and I are getting organised with the raised beds this weekend in the garden. Currently poor OH has been tasked with bringing home some bags of gravel each evening as its on offer at Wickes, much cheaper than anywhere else, even online, so no doubt he will be complaining of back ache before you know it. This is for drainage at the bottom of the beds, then loads of soil being delivered tomorrow so you can guess how we are spending Saturday! However at least once they are filled I can get on with the planting. One bed will be herbs and a few quick veg such as radish, sp onions, spinach etc the other, much larger one with screening at the back of it will be fragrant flowers which we can sit by. Should look lovely once it's all finished and provides some real privacy for our new garden. Will try and send a photo of it once it's done but I've not managed to send anything so far on the forum so don't hold your breath.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi everyone. Lisa too many tears??? Hey you need to sort this out in your head so you can cope a bit better. Did you cause the problem? No! Were you in a position to stop it? No! Do you get the most wages because you hold overall power and responsibility for decisions? No! This was out of your hands from the little I know about it so if you have to say/do things, I think you just need to be honest and say I really wish I didn't have to do/say this but it is my job/ the law so I have to follow procedure. Please know it is not personal. Best thing is to be polite, make it private so not embarasssing and give the person a chance to explain/say whatever they want in their defence. Then say you undertsand but procedure says I have to take certain steps. Then detail them. Good luck. Will be thinking of you and let us know how it goes xx

Nicky how are you getting on? Is it in? Hoping to hear things are back on track to contimue with the chemo xx

Carole yes its so crazy at work, especially this year. Well we are going to Crete, which I am very excited about as we both love the ancient sites and Greece has so many really amazing sites compared to some of the holiday destinations, unless you travel a lot further and we are on a budget so ite Europe. Have you ever been? Are you feeling a bit more chirpy? Any news on mum?  Well better get back to the marking, roll on the end of the exams so I can have my evenings back. Love to all Lily xx

Community Champion

Oh girls, it's time for me to give you all some support .  

Lisa I can imagine how you feel about your job situation, a job you've enjoyed for so long and now things not going so good.   I hope it doesn't come to you having to find something else. Not nice if they are thinking of downing you when you've done your best for the company and the people you look after. Also I hope your eye is better soon, have they got to the bottom of it as it's been ongoing for some time now hasn't it?  Chin up if you can it's a tough time for you but moan as much as you like if it helps.

And Nicky, your hair???? After suffering the pain of the cold cap which I'm told is not nice what is going on. I hope that you had your chemo ok this week, how can you (skinny minny) say you have lots of fat to inject into lol.   I always had the nurse do mine.   Even though I injected several times a day with my insulin, well doing that was a whole different kettle of fish. Try to enjoy the long weekend if you can and have the energy to. Hoping your weather warms up. 

Lily how's it going back at work?   I'm sure you are very busy with it being the final term of the year.  Where did you finally decide on for your summer hols?   I think you were thinking of Greece if I remember right? 

It's late for me so off to bed now xxxx

Community Champion

Hi all, oh no Nicky, sorry you are loosing your hair, not nice. Hope treatment goes okay.

my eye needs some self treatment but due to an excess of tears and lack of sleep at moment not going well lol. Work is awful, looking like a serious downgrade and rightly or wrongly blame at my bosses door but the way it's been handled isn't great and the treatment of someone who has put the co. First for 27 years is horrible and I'm not sure I'm very popular due to my role and holding to account folk, so for the first time in 22 years not liking my job at all and looking elsewhere but not much round here. On the plus side it's almost time for a long weekend..

sun is shinging here here but very cold, sunny and snow showers, random.

good luck Nicky xxx

Community Champion

Hi buddies. Nicky how did today go, were you able to have the next dose? Oh no your hair, that's so disappointing so well done for not getting too low about it. I was hoping you would hang on to your hair as the odds were a bit better Smiley Sad . Have you had it cut short, if not that might be less shocking than losing longer hair which always looks so much. i remember having a mountain of hair in both hands and showing it to the family. Take care and I hope it is in now and doing its stuff. Carole hoping things are improving with mum's situation, as it must be very difficult at these times to be far away. Lisa eye sounds horrible, do yo have tereatment for it, or does it just go on its own? Sorry to hear about work issues and as Nick said, let us know when you can. Oh and of course moan away, what do you think you have an extra 3 mums for? xxxx Love Lily xx