cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling buddies from May - moving on

Re: Darling buddies from May - moving on

Thànks Lily for keeping up with posts.  Glad you enjoyed the new Star Wars film (I'm not a fan) but great you had a hectic Christmas, which I'm sure you positively loved 😆.

Have you ever told us the story behind your American guests? If you have I'm sorry but I've forgotten.

Lisa how horrid to deal with something upsetting at Christmas.

I've had a lovely Christmas, saw all the children, but not much of Mr P as he was working, it was YDs 21st birthday today, sad that her dad was working but I think she had a good day, she met up with some old friends at Southampton West Quays, my goodness, I'd forgotten about the English sales rush😐.   I struggled with all the queues and crowds 😡.   Still, it wasn't about me so as long as she enjoyed it.

We return to France on Wednesday, as long as the crossing isn't rough, I'm looking forward to getting home (nothing like home at Christmas), and seeing my 4 cats and Heidi the dog.

Hope you all enjoyed Christmas.

Love to you all, Carole xxxx

Hi, hope you all had  some nice days with the family and some nice pressies as a bonus. We are over-run with bags of ripped off wrapping paper as everyone opened their presents in our house! Absolutely bags of it. The last of the turkey has gone now but there is a huge mountain of chocolates of every type to eat. Not good for starting off with a healthy new year! My visitor is here for a few more days so we are still in festive mode and having to do big meals. I seem to be doing most of the entertaining! So good job we get on reallly well. Have you seen the new Star Wars film? I saw it at the weekend and loved it but I am a Star Wars fan. Very exciting to see a new one come out. Lived the Bond film Spectre too but missed the latest Jurassic so having to wait for it to come on sky box office. Hope all is well Lily xx

Hi everyone how was your day? Well md and her family stayed over so the house is lovely and full of little peopl dozing peacefully after a busy day. They were all very excited and noisy as you would expect. Everyone else went back to their homes and are seeing the other side of their families tomorrow. have a snoring guest on the sofa aand I'm the only one still awake and its only just 11! They just can't keep up with me.

Lisa keep an eye on the cough and get off to the dr if it feels like an infection for some abs. How horrible to deal with something upsetting at Christmas. Will be hoping the expected rain doesn't cause another disaster in your county. Unbelievably distressing for people to think its going to flood again and at Christmas.

Carole I wasn't sure if you meant you were staying on the ferry or going for a party. Hope you enjoyed it anyway. Enjoy seeing all your family. How was mum?

Nicky hope you got out of hospital asap yesterday. Yes I was worried that some products I wanted might have sold out but fortunately they were well stocked at Tesco so i just did one shop. It wasn't too bad but apparently I had just missed a very busy spell. The firdge is bursting with food still. Not sure what they were all eating then, as it doesn't seem much better. Yes it was really hectic here but great fun and I got a lot of help but was also keen to give the others a nice day so it was a mix of work and help. When you feed 17 the dishwasher does the majority but it can't take the lot Smiley Sad  The tree sounded lovely. I was not impressed to have hospital appointment arrive on Christmas Eve booooooooooo. What beast posted that off to arrive before Christmas?  I hope you had a lovely day love Lily xxxxxxxxxx

Merry Xmas everyone, hope you all have a lovely time. Nicky, hope the treatment went okay, carole glad you arrived in UK, lily hope your visitor helpin out lol.

had a busy day, been making some puds tonight and loaded with cold and chesty cough but happens every Xmas lol. Had to go into work awful accident in one of our schemes but won't upset you with those details.

heres to a happy, peaceful and healthy Xmas and new year, I know I've been crap at posting last few months but would go insane without our chats xx

lots of love buddies xxx

Community Champion

Happy Christmas Eve 😊🎄 buddies.

Off to hospital in an hour or so which isn't what I would like to be doing today but I guess I should! because of this I've had to make sure I'm ready for tomorrow even earlier than I would normally be and therefore have been run a bit ragged with getting all the last minute food bits in - how many supermarkets can you go into in a day? Quite a few I've found out when some of them are no re stocking as quickly as you'd hope! Anyway it's all done now and I'm hoping the nurses are on the ball this morning so I get out quickly. Luckily YD is here and doing a lot of the food prep for this evening when we are going to friends, and taking some canapés and the pud, and for tomorrow.

I hope you all have a fun and relaxing Christmas with family and friends, wherever that might be (it sounds like you will be at sea Carole? In which case I hope it's calm!) Also hoping there's no repeat of the awful recent weather where you are Lisa although it sounds like some people are having problems again. Lily, I'm sure you will have a house full of very excited littlies, which I know you will enjoy but with all the adults there as well I hope you don't have to do the washing up afterwards!

Signing off for now, have a good one.

Nicky x

ps Scandi is short for Scandinavian, so our tree is full of wooden decorations and white lights, it looks lovely and means we can use some of the decorations we bought a few years ago when we had a pre Christmas ski trip to Chamonix. They are so pretty and remind us all of the fun we had, and the fantastic snow. X

Happy Christmas to all dear buddies and families and friends hope you are all in Christmas cheer.

We arrived safely in the UK and expect to join Mr P on the ferry tomorrow as he is working for the next few days.

Relishing every moment.

Love to all xxxx

Hi everyone and hope all your Christmas arrangements - both food and parcels are on track to be done for the big day. I think I have finished my gift shopping today after a trip to pick up things from individual stores. I like the big shops where you go in one and get lots done. Today was the silly things that take a bit of hunting down  or just one thing from the pet shop for puppy. She was very interested in my shopping bags and almost looked like she just wanted to breathe the air to pick up the smell of the bag. She has a very delicate tum and gets an upset quite quickly from treats but I found rice bones, which she loves and seem ok. On my expedition was my usual xmas visitor and little chap, not the best 2 people to take with you. Neither like shopping much so there were frequent stops for mid morning cake and then lunch. They were good at carrying stuff for me though Smiley Happy   I have started some wrapping today but it is a drop in the ocean!

Nicky thinking of you tomorrow and hope they don't keep you long. Carole enjoy your trip. Sorry I have forgotten if you are already over here or not. Hope mum is pleased to see you and behaves!! Lisa sorry to hear you have another bug so hope it goes quickly. My tree is just completely loaded with little treasures collected over the years -gingerbread men, robins, reindeer, twinkly things, cuddly things, things from every holiday like Ny and even things from Australia. I am hoping to buy a tree to plant in memory of my brother. I want a 40 -60 foot traditional tree, not sure what to get just yet. It can grow happily down the very bottom of the garden and get as tall as it wants without bothering anyone. I wanted a horse or sweet chestnut but apparently the stream makes it too wet. Better get some advice about it.

Happ Christmas to anyone else reading. i hope you manage to enjoy some special moments.

Happy Christmas buddies love Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps I am saving this time as I just lost the post, the site, the lot grrrr

Hi all, hope your all in festive spirits, I've been hit by the lurgy, very strange tends to happen every year as soon as I finish work, loads to do and another mound of present wrapping to do lol. Like you say Lily the first one is hard and you have your mum to deal with too, hope yesterday went okay.

Nicky hope hospital appointment went or goes okay. I so wish we could post pictures on here, would love to see everyone's trees xx

carole, are you all set too?!?

countdown begins, got my next few days mapped out. Merry Xmas and healthy new year all xxx

Hi everyone. Can I pass on my Christmas wishes to you all too and hoping it will be a happy and peaceful time for you.Its tricky here because of my brother and mum gets worse every day nearer to Christmas but the lirttle ones all distract me and get so much pleasure out of buying things to make them smile, laugh or learn things from their toys.  We put my brother's ashes in the graveyard tomorrow so it will be a difficult day, especially for mum.

Our usual visitor is mid atlantic as we speak so lots to do here, although I tend to let him just fit into how we are rather than change much. He is so very rich that ordinary normal is quite a novelty for him. I went out shopping twice today and feel that I got a lot more ticked off my list. The last minute foods can wait until later in the week to be as fresh as possible.  

Nicky I have no idea what a scandi tree is, some sort of theme/colour? I know you have another hospital visit this week, so hope you get in and back out quickly without any wait or problems. Glad you managed to get a tree at your second stop. Carole enjoy seeing as many folk as you can and hope your mum is behaving herself too Smiley Happy    Lisa how are things with your mum now? I hope she can manage to enjoy th family around, even though its not everyone she would like to be there. Our first Christmas too, difficult time. Love to all Lily xxx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Hope all of you are managing to get things done and not too much extra issues with family etc. A busy time of the year but one im sure we all manage to enjoy. Carole, wishing you a very HAppy Christmas with the family which will be lovely for you to see them all this year. Happy Christmas to Lily and Lisa in case I don't get back on here before the big day.

Well, we now have a tree, hooray. A bit worried when we turned up at the first place we went to and they only had small ones which looked a bit sorry for themselves, and only about 8 of those left anyway. I could see us not having a tree at all as we'd left it so late. However the next place had lots which was good and all at half price which was even better! We got home and for the first time it was just OH and I decorating it as no Ds around at the moment. So, we've gone for a Scandi look which was agreed on last year but really suits the new house so hoping that the Ds like it when they see it. Just now need to finish wrapping presents to put underneath it so it looks even better!

Have a good rest of the weekend and a good week getti in the Christmas spirit.

Nicky x

Had a smile at the turkey story Lily, that's the sort of thing my Mum would do. I used to have a beautiful rabbit fur jacket in a pale brown colour, it was so warm.   Of course when the days of real fur passed it had to go. Is it true what I'm hearing that real fur is back in fashion now?   I'm sure you'll be super warm in your new coat Lily.

In case this is my last post before the festivities I will wish you all a very Merry Christmas now, I may pop in but am sure to be busy from Tuesday onwards.

Take care all, love Carole xx

Hi  Lisa, glad you enjoyed my tale of woe. She is a terror at times. Today she is miserable again, never know what I will walk into. Fab long holiday for you well done, as good as mine. I did tons of shopping today including for my own presents!! Victor is swimming in work and I wanted a new coat so there is no way he could choose that. I had enough trouble myself!! I love the fur collars that are in at the moment but unfortunately I cannot have rabbit fur near me as I raect to it, and boy have a lot of rabbits been skinned this year for coats Smiley Sad    Anyway I went in to debenhams and found one I liked from red herring with a non rabbit fur collar Smiley Happy  I could hardly walk back to the car I had so much shopping and of course had to keep buying silly bags grrr. Enjoy your weekends everyone Lily x

Lol Lily that post made me giggle. Well not sure what's happeded but I wrote a long post few nights back and it's not showing and told me I couldn't get online last night - anyone else? 

First late ate night meeting for me tonight in my new role, but guess what,  I'm now officially on holiday 4th jan, how lucky am I. Off to Chester market tomorrow and Cheshire oaks, can't wait poor mum needs a break.

hopemyour all having fun and I'll catch up on Sunday xxx

Hi everyone. Well I don't know about you but I am starting to get very excited about Christmas and especially being home and getting on with my shopping Smiley Happy . Last week I spotted a very large turkey breast crown. I was out with mum in her wheelchair so we have to put our joint shopping in a basket on her lap. No problem she said, get it now or there won't be another one. Well I did suggest the turkey could be rather heavy. No problem she said. Well of course we had gone a mere 30 seconds before she said, you know I think you were right, i can't have this on my lap! Well we had gone in early where you can shop but not buy, so I had to wander around with a giant turkey under my arm, trying to push the wheelchair - no mean task! Eventually the tills were about to open so I parked mum in an interesting section and went to get at the front of a queue. Any till that has its light on, bellowed the superviser. I opted for number 11 as a number were already queuing. Guess which one arrived last? Yes mine, which wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't had a man decide to chat away to me. Would you expect to be standing in the queue of a little town and be chatted up by a deep sea fisherman buying mackerel for bait, all dressed ready to go in high vis dayglo gear and boots? My mum then suggested that the WHOLE shop thought she had been abandoned by me and were wondering if she was alright. I really think she just enjoyed the attention. So I am going to thoroughly enjoy shopping completely on my own with no wheelchair so I can dash past people and queue jump like they all do to me. How has you week been everyone? . Hugs L xx

Hi buddies. Thank you Carole, she is back in the normal range of poorly with a dreadful chest infection and on abs even though they think they won't work!! She is miserable and inseparable from ed so she's off work. For a first time mum its a very worrying time. What strange weather with snow up top and us all having the warmest weather and being too hot with jumpers on. It needs to even up a little. The year she was born, you must have been wondering whether to start cooking Christmas dinner or not! No i didn't manage to see the launch, probably at work but it would have been lovely to see. i remember watching a launch when I was little at infant school on the headteacher's tv. Not sure I had any idea what was going on then. I think you will see lots more Smiley Happy . Well at last I have written my cards and will post them off in the morning unless I do my usual trick of sailing past the post box and taking them for a ride to work.Stamps are getting rather expensive these days so i really should try to be early and pass more on when I see people. Take care love Lily xx 

Hi all, Lily I hope your grandaughter has improved since the weekend? Yes snow arriving for those in the North, today is colder and grey here. Nicky and Lisa hope you are both ok and enjoying the run up to Christmas. Our YD has her 21st birthday on 28 Dec so our little one was born just after Christmas. It is a horrid time I think to have a birthday, right on top of Christmas.

Did anyone see the live launch of British Astronaut Tim? I was quite emotional. Probably not something I will see again in my lifetime. Well that's me being maudlin again lol.

xxx
Highlighted

Hi everyone. Nicky we had a birthday weekend too, unfortunately she was whisked off to hospital. Slightly improved but been checked over so ed is in less of panic. All of the littles have had really nasty bugs that have been hard to shift and lasted ages. Each of them were told they would have abs a few years back but vcan;t now. Then they take 3 weeks to improve so difficult to know what's best. Nicky you seem to have secretly accelerated past all of us and almost completed Christmas preparations - how did you do it? I have been told to scale down this year but that makes it even harder to make sure the sacks (or maybe bags this year Smiley Sad   look fairly even. Little chap has asked for a set of books and they have arrived, one by one! That was a lot easier than requests for fish tank pumps, whiteboards, coats and other things that require a lot of information to organise. Some very odd requests this year! Poor Scotland with snow already. It made me think of Val and our other buddies of course. Take care -  Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi buddies

A very busy weekend for me so a bit quiet on the forum front.

We celebrated EDs belated birthday on Friday night, busy on Saturday trying to get the house all Christmassy, which we tend to do after EDs birthday. This is taking longer this year as we're trying to work out which decorations can go where, or not at all if they don't suit the new house. Still half done with boxes in the lounge and no tree until next weekend which I prefer as they only drop all over the place by the beginning of Jan. YD was also here which was nice to catch up with her and she's back next weekend for Christams as she hasn't used all her holiday up so gets a good long break.

Im dashing around for all the last minute bits although have got all the main presents sorted. Plus trying to get a couple of items of clothing for me. I've lost weight over the past year or so so any smart trousers I had no longer fit and can I find I pair, can I heck! I've tried everywhere and happy to pay a bit more as I want them to last but nothing seems quite right so I'll keep searching.

How is everyone? Sounds like Christams is on its way especially in Lily's house with all the littlies, or should I say especially with lily! Wishing a speedy recovery to little miss as well. How is the flooding situation Lisa? I hope people are trying to get things straightened but it does look like such a huge task and so soul destroying. I really feel for them especially when you see it all on the news and know how bad it is. Are you doing OK Carole? It must be very difficult when you are on your own most of the time but it sounds like you will be with family for most of Chriatmas which will be nice. My treatment on Chr Eve doesn't usually cause me any problems, I just hope it goes smoothly and I'm not on the ward for ages as I'm sure there will be things I have to be doing. Plus I have another echo on the Tuesday so my Christmas is sandwiched between hospital appointments.

Anyway, ttfn

Nicky x

Hi everyone. Thank you Carole , I will try to calm down a little but really I find Christmas very exciting and love it. Our littlest one was in hospital tonight but they think viral (don't they always) and have sent her home. She did look very poorly and making this droning noise. Fingers crossed she is getting over it soon. The bigger ones are all very excited and eagerly listen to anything about santa and how to get more pressies!! There are some amazing things on mobiles now where santa tooks to them personally. Sorry in a rush tonight but hope all is well love Lily xx

Hi Lily

Good luck with the voting on x factor, I hope the winners are the ones you vote for. It sounds like you are getting a bit stressed, so, take a breath or two and remember what is important., eg you not being ill because of stress and worry.   Telling off done so hope you are feeling ok and enjoying all those little people you have to hug.   I have the opposite extreme, it's too peaceful for me and I miss my hugs!

I've been watching Top of the Pops 2 and reminiscing about all my favourite Christmas songs, it's quite sad too feeling so old as they were good days.

Lisa I hope your friends and family are doing ok with all the flood damage, I do feel for you.

Nicky hopefully your treatment on Christmas Eve won't leave you too bad for the next couple of days.   I understand what it's like to have a child missing for Christmas, it is something I've had to cope with since we moved to France.   At least this year I will see 2 children on two days then all 3 for Boxing Day, so really looking forward to that.

Hope all the bugs, coughs and colds stay away from you all.

Love Carole xx

Hi, did you vote on x factor? I am a Louisa fan and hope she will win. You can't really compare the voices of the 2 finalists but we will see. Its a  busy weekend with loads of work to do, still haven' written any cards apart from overseas ones. Dashed out and bought around 80 packets of sweets for the kids at school. I need more but think I might pass around big tubs of sweets for some. Its an exciting week to work in a school but very tiring as they get so excited. I am so behind with xmas shopping, the worst I have ever been mainly because Victor has not been on a big shop day with me. I guess primarni profits will tumble this year lol. Hope you are all enjoying the weekend love Lily xxx

Hi everyone, sorry there is still so much trouble in Cumbria Lisa. So unfair to have it repeat, I don't know how people manage, i really don't. Carole how is your language group coming along? Do you meet regularly. Sorry in all of this I forgot to say I am glad that your bone scan was ok recently.

Nicky boo to a treatment on Christmas Eve. Will it make any difference to how you are feeling over Christmas? You never really mention any side effects but you would be fortunate to miss any at all. Its a sign of getting older when all the family plans change at Christmas and I think ours will a bit too this year. Its not necessarily a bad thing, just different. I try to go to as much as I can with the little onesThimgs have changed there too. For goodness sake, who heard of being dressed as a beetle for the nativity play ha ha. I am sure it was his own idea as he has very strong views for a little person who has just started school. These days I just have to look out the compulsary Chrictmas jumper for work.

is anyone able to give me some tax advice? My ancient pension from my life in the city has offered to pay out a sum instead of having a pension as they are shutting down but I want to know if there is any way to avoid losing a lot in tax. Any ideas would be very welcome. Better buzz off love Lily xxx

Community Champion

Hi

Lily, we are having a different type of Christmas this year as ED is away for the first time ever with her fiancé as they are meeting up with some of  his Australian family who are holiday ing in Europe. The first Christmas he has spent with them for years and years so they are looking forward to it. We will have a quiet Christmas Day just with YD, although a quick visit to parents in law in the morning which they always like. So, our actual celebrating will be done on the Sunday when ED and F are back, that's when we'll have the turkey and all the trimmings 🍗🍾🎄 However I also have the joy of treatment on Christmas Eve so I have to make sure I'm ready with all the food prep and everything else. Luckily YD is off work that week so can help me get things done.

Must rush now, things to do, as with every day this week!

Nicky x

Hi everyone, hope you are all well as there seem to be quite a few colds going around here and all the asthmatic littles are wheezing away and puffing their mini inhalers. Two of my children had it so its no surprise that we passed it on to the next generation. I have never ever had a chest infection but Victor is the weak link on this plus mum. Carole you are spot on it is definitely a 'what about me' syndrome and drives me crazy a lot of the time. However mine is also extremely generous and as soon as anyone has a big bill she helps them and insists on sharing what she has, so my brother and I are always battling her to say no you keep it. She is very comfortable so that helps as she has now hired 3 gardeners, 2 cleaners and the carers! I think she wants 'staff' lol. That part of her has never changed and she would always give anyone her last pound if they needed it or if it was for an animal especially donkeys for some reason!! Always people before possessions as I grew up and its something I like and have tried to pass on. Carole is your mum settled in her new place now? Mine is dreading xmas as you can imagine so all the plans are going to be last minute but it doesn't relaly matter. My house is always heaving with people so it never matters to add a few more. What are all of you doing this year? Any plans yet, apart from Nicky practising babysitting on the cats. How will your treatments work out at Christmas time this year?  Lisa is it very busy at work trying to sort needy folks out from the floods? I better go as lots to do and I might throw a little sleep in before tomorrow. Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi Carole

I must say its pretty mild in the south so it seems the North is getting all of the awful weather you've seen reported. As to cat flaps - been there, done that😉 As you say it will make life easier for when you are away but it's difficult at first to get them used to it. I know with our last kitties I put a peg on the Cat flap to hold it open but it did mean the wind used to whistle through and the kitchen get very cold. However they soon learnt that they could open it with their heads. They are so sweet, our ex-moggies, as they now live with my ED who adores them. They are much safer so, although much closer to town, the traffic is very little and they love going off and exploring. Plus, she and her hubby-to-be are such soppies with them that the cats get away with so much more than when they lived with us. We get to see them regularly and will be on cat sitting duty over Christmas when ED and H2B are away for a few days.

I meant to have said to Lisa that how awful that someone would steal a car that had been abandoned! I just hope they get their comeuppance.

Hi Lily, hope Mum has a good mood for quite a while! It sounds very tough for both you and Carole and unfortunately the colour thing does seem to be of their generation.

Nicky x

HI girls

Lily, dealing with elderly people can be very challenging, I do understand what you are going through as your Mum and my Mum seem like twins!   Perhaps it's just part of getting old, becoming difficult I mean.   Wishing lots of patience and hugs.   I think it will get better (over the grief side) but even if losing your brother hadn't happened, she, like my Mum would be difficult.  I find with my Mum she is so self centred, thinks of nothing else except her own woes - not that she has any - is your Mum like that?   My Mum too has a problem with her dark skinned carers, she complains they are lazy and don't want to help her.   It is very difficult because the majority of her carers are not white skinned.  On a cheerier note, how lovely your grandchildren appreciated your tree, makes it worthwhile.   No I don't watch X Factor, if there is one programme on TV I dislike it is that.   But, yes I do watch I'm a Celebrity.

Lisa thank goodness you are safe and haven't been affected by the storms.   I find it hard to believe in this day and age that this has happened again, and still happening at times in other areas of the country.   I think David Cameron was right when he said "it's not ISIS we have to worry about, it's the natural disasters".   Climate change?   Well I don't know what to think about that.   I hope you are coping well with your loss, it's horrid that some members of the family couldn't even pay their respects to a dear man.   I hate to say it but our weather is still very mild, blue skies and not at all December like! Smiley Wink

Sounds like you have a lovely time coming up Nicky with birthdays and celebrations and a treatment free week.  I'm watching Strictly too.   Can't believe it's just over 2 weeks to Christmas.

The bone scan I had last week seems to be ok, no one told me otherwise anyway. We fitted our small dog cat flap and all cats seem to have tackled it well, although for now we are leaving the flap up.   When we go away it will make life easier for the lady who is coming to feed them as she won't need to let them in and out.   We're off out for lunch tomorrow with some friends, apart from that a pretty quiet week. I'm disappointed that my sewing project will not be finished by Christmas, still, I've only been working on it since April Smiley Frustrated

Love to all xxx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Lisa, so glad you are OK and presumably all your family and friends. It all looks awful though and I can't begin to imagine how dreadful this must be for all those affected. A lot of extra work for your organisation as well. Glad that the funeral was a good send off for your uncle and hopefully gave you all good memories of him and the fact that you had all looked after him right to the end. Take care of yourself and obviously your Mam.

Lily, hope that your Mum is in a good phase and less of a strain for you at what must be a very busy time of the year what with school events and all the home things as well. We're relatively quiet at the moment, just trundling along, gradually getting there Christmas-wise. Have EDs birthday this week but she's out and about doing things with work and a friend's wedding so it's just a meal around here later in the week with YD here as well which should be nice.

Carole, hope all is well with you.

Nicky x

Hi everyone. Lisa thank you for letting us know you are ok as I was worried and I know the others will have been too. Those poor people and their ruined homes, it looked terrible. I'm glad the funeral was lovely as this will help everyone, especially your mum have nicer memories in time. Its the very last thing she could do for him and I am sure he would appreciate her care and attention. Mum moving into a better phase again, so hope it will last a while. So very difficult and embarassing as she seems to have gone back to her childhood and become scared of the African carers who occasionally look after her in an emergency. I dread to think what she says and I keep talking to her about it and then she forgets and does it again.Well I am going to dash off here as trying to sort a lot of cards and things out and getting nowhere! Love Lily xx

Hi all, I'm here and fine. Funeral was lovely despite cousins not turning up so mam really upset about that. I can't take any time of at the moment as just started my new job last week, fun and games.

well believe it or not I'm totally fine, even managed to get through to newcastle yesterday to see stereophonics, was touch and go because of roads. Pretty devastating here at the moment which I'm sure you've seen on the news. Yet again were okay in our town but 15mins to hour away devastation. It's unbeleiveable that same places flooded and more than in 2009 with flood defences in place. Could cry for people. Obviously working for housing we've got a lot on, some poor woman today was cryingher house was 5ft deep in water and only had clothes on her back so doing everything we can and having to rehouse a lot of tenants. Shows so much community spirit what folk are doing to help out, however also some rotten people too, simon my friends brother was coming home from liverpool as finished working there, he packed up cR with lots of work gear and pressies for granddaughter and car got stuck and surrounded by water. Wouldn't move engine broke so had to go to recuse centre, went back at 8am and someone had stolen his car... Must have towed it too, evil.

lily, sorry your having a hard time with your mum, is she playing you up too? Must be hard xx I too have been watching X factor and jungle but only went and found out all the news about them today before I've seen last few days 😂😱 

nicky, how are you, I haven't been following strictly this time, in fact I've not watched much tv.  How you settling into new house, any decorating plans, love a good decorating discussion xx

carole, how are you!? How's the weather over there?? 

Love lisa xxx

Hi, well first of all Lisa I was very concerned about the terrible flooding in Cumbria. How are things with you and your family? It looks devastating and bridges washed away too.I could hardly believe how deep the water looked and how high in some parts. I can't imagine how distressing it must be especially as you have told us how many times this has happened before.  Fingers crossed you are in a safer part xx

Nicky I will have another go, so thank you for that. I have been so busy with a big gathering and babysitting for Eds birthday and mum in a royal rage that I haven't had a minute to myself. Its just not getting any better Smiley Sad     I can get her out of it but the carers are having a rough ride and I don't know what I will do if they give up. Why can't it just go for a week or two smoothly?   Funnily enough Nick, I have never even tried iplayer so that was helpful advice. I struggle to watch all my saved tv programmes let alone looking for other stuff. A new concept for me ha ha. Anyway the littles were in awe of the tree and Victor had put lights up everywhere so there were lots of lovely oooohs and aaaahs as they came in. Then we had to hook everything up before the tinies crawled up and tugged them. My chocolates on the tree are in dire danger as they have been spotted. I reckon they will disappear when I am at work with md being the chief suspect!

Carole are you watching x factor and I'm a celebrity? I love x factor although i think I find the end of the show the least exciting part as the final song is usually dire and old fashioned..

Well better buzz off. Hope all is ok love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

If you try the actual BBC website, rather than iplayer,  you can chose radio, then search for the Today programme. There is a list then of previous episodes, in this case whichever day you're interested in. When you play it you can use the sidebar to fast forward to 6.50 when I was on and sit back and relax, ha ha. It's the same as if you are watching anything on iplayer or similar and I'm sure you must have done that in your time.

Sorry to hear that Mum is playing up a bit Lily, but I know what you mean about not leaving wi a cross word hanging between you, by that I mean leaving the house, not the other type of leaving, oops.

No tree for us yet, we normally wait until after EDs birthday which is next week but we may get some lights up outside this weekend, if they don't get blown away with the gales forecast. I've had to buy some different sets of lights for inside and out as the house is quite different from the previous one. Thank goodness I didn't go out and buy replacement lights last year. I'd made a note in my diary about which ones needed replacing and we don't need any of them now as we are in a much smaller place than before.

From what Carole said it sounds like the funeral has taken place for your uncle, Lisa. I hope it was a good send off for him and although all funerals are sad, I hope there were some happy memories you could all share.

Have a good weekend everyone, it's quarter finals week, hooray 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻

Nicky x

Hi everyone. Thinking of you especially Lisa, have you taken some time off work as it sounds like you need it with so much to do and supporting your mum. Hugs.

Nicky well I found the article but haven't the foggiest how to make it play as I can only find it under running order. Will have to get a techy family member to help me. I would very much like to hear it. Rather exciting too to be involved - our new z list celeb and not for the first time either Smiley Happy  I thnik you would have found it very chilly if you had been out and about. how does your treatment work out with Christmas and the New Year? Hope it works well for you.

Carole thank you, a little praise keeps me chugging along with mum. As you know sometimes it gets soooo much harder Smiley Sad . My other brother is very supportive and wades in to tell her off if she goes too far. i can't be tough as I would not be able to cope if something happened and we had parted with cross words. Mum and I don't argue, but I do sometimes go out the door cursing! Yes I have just finished decorating my tree now so the littles will have great fun when they come in and spot the chocolates!! I might have to go very high this year! I hope you get chocolates for the tree over there! I laughed and laughed at how fat your cat must be to need a dog's cat flap and then I laughed again at you having to lie on the floor. Oh what fun you will have ha ha.  Enjoy your weekends Lily xx

Well done to Nicky, I will try to see if  I can catch up with your chat, how difficult that must have been not to say anything. Why are you on the chemo ward? Is it just for P and H?

Lisa I hope you and your Mam and Dad are ok after yesterday, it seems you all gave your dear Uncle a lovely send off.   Families can be so hateful at times like this, hope all the financial things are sorted as soon as theymcan be.

Sorry to hear Lily that your Mum has taken a step back.   You are being an absolute brick at this time, so hope someone appreciates what you do. It is what we do when we have to for people we love, but sometimes no one understands.

Our tree is nicely decorated, today we've been searching for an extra large cat flap,as we have our latest moggie weighing 5.2 k, and he has quite a large girth. We eventually found one that is designed for small dogs like a dachsund,  so hope it will do the job.   Now i will spend the next 2 weeks laying on the floor to get them used to it.   Oh the joys of animals lol.

Love to everyone xxx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Just a quick update as I'm in the chemo ward for my treatment ATM. My piece was on earlier today on the Today programme on radio 4. It was on at about 6.50, so 50 mins into the programme and the article went on for about 5 mins. Not just me I'd like to add! My lovely Dr was on it as well! The research he is part co author of seems to show that cancer itself causes heart problems, not just the actual treatments which we all know about. I wasn't allowed to say anything as it was only revealed at the conference yesterday in Seville. Therefore it's of interest to all of us who survive a long time after or with cancer.

Hope you are all OK. The only sunny day this week and I have to spend half of it in hospital, grrrr. Never mind, if it keeps me on the healthy straight I'm not complaining.

Nicky X aka Nicola from the radio 😊📻🎙

Hi buddies. Lisa it sounds terrible and very familiar. My poor mum had to empty her savings meanwhile a giant cheque goes to someone who is not allowed to live in the UK. You just have to let it go and focus on the important parts. After my brother died, so mnay people rushed out to make wills as it made them think what would happen to their estate, as insurance can be a lot. Its so difficult because you can't bring the subject up with people or you sound awful. As Varole says they will get their comeuppance and in the end your mum just needs to know that she did all she could for him and people like all of us can only live with ourselves if we do. I will be thinking of you tomorrow? you know I took the death certificate to the banks and they were very helpful about bills. They will all get paid out forst. Also tell the baddies that it will cost a lot to pay someone to clear the contents and ask if they are willing to help, then they won't be at all keen to help out. They will leave you to do what you wish with the contents. At the end of the day they have no idea what your uncle gave away before he went do they!!!!! Big hugs and the eulogy yes very difficult. It was the first i had ever read. We will be with you in spirit as always you know xxxx

Famous Nicky I will try to find that and also give us  the details when you can as I was interested in what you inferred. How is this week going with appointments?  Varole that sounds a lovely group to join and will help pass the time wonderfully. Well done.  I am pretty busy as mum is having a very distressed time again and I am struggling to fit my life into my life! Hoorah holidays approaching soon Love to all L xx

Lisa, I just wanted to post a note to send you my very best for the service tomorrow, I will be thinking of you xxx

Nicky, well what do you know, you're going to be a celebrity soon LOL, too posh to talk to us anymore! I would love to listen, which radio station will it be on as normally we only have radio via the TV? Good luck for Friday.

Lily hope you're managing to keep away from bugs, coughs and colds?

I've offered to be part of a French/English language group.   It's voluntary of course but should at least give me something to do.   The plan is to start up a group and make conversation with both cultures helping the French speakers to speak English and visa versa.   If nothing else it should give me something to do.

TTFN xx

Community Champion

Oh Lisa, what a shambles everything is and it shouldn't be like this should it? I hope it isn't too hard on the ones who loved and looked after your uncle. Rotten cousins, I won't say anything that I'm sure you've not either thought or said, they will get their comeuppance one day. 

On a different thought, well done with the new job, I hope it is what you want and deserve. Good to hear you are getting out and about with gigs etc, enjoy. Hope you get over your cold soon, hope its not the beginning of the dreaded winter colds.

Varole, hmmm, just when you want (and expect) the autocorrect to step up to the mark it doesn't! Normally names and normal spellings are corrected but it must have been on holiday when I typed yesterday. I'll keep an eye on it in future.

Well, I will be on the Today programme on Friday morning. I'm sure it will only be a short part of the whole programme, in fact I know it is and I will be an even smaller part of the whole section. You can catch it on iplayer as with all radio programmes which is probably the way I will hear it! Btw it will be worth hearing anyway, not just so you can hear my dulcet tones again Lily, as I believe there will be some research news which will be of interest. I'll say no more until after Friday.

Nicky x

Hi all, I'm around just haven't had time to read, loaded with cold and exhausted.

funeral is on Thursday, I've sobbed for a few days as I've written his euology and order of service so feeling a bit emotional.

mam quite upset as cousins are the same as me but never seen him for 7 years apart from one complaint hadn't recieved Xmas cheque for him, even passing hospital knowing he was dying and not visiting. My uncle wasn't married or had a partner, so my mam is next of kin so would have normally recieved everything so she could carry out his wishes. However as my aunty died apparently half goes to my cousins in her absence, I don't think they are even coming to the funeral and my uncle was really upset that they knew he was back home and hadn't been near and we know they will waste his money, so they will get half my mam half and then she'll end up carry out his wishes with hers.  Funeral can come out of account but don't know what to do about everything else as he lives in extra care so we were giving away his furniture and I was having some as momento and mam wanted some things that mean something to her as was her parents, I doubt they would be interested in any of it as they will just come running when know money is around. Frustrating but not about the money it's the fact they didn't care, we have to clear all his effects within next three weeks and dad is having to pay all his bills at moment so god knows when will get it back. Shouldn't even come to any of this.

however, will give him a fab send of, even my dad bawled at the eulogy I've written but I just can't read it in church not that strong.

anyhow hoes everyone else? Started my first day of new job today so busy bee too. Xx of to see stereophonics at the weekend x

Oh famous one, it sounds very exciting. You MUST tell us when you will be on the radio so I can try to listen, probably be while I am work grrrr. What radio station? I still get annoyed about son deleting you from the sky box so I can't rewatch you on tv ha ha. Well I am not surprised as it should give hope to a lot of people who think they can't have treatment because of heart issues. Will you be mentioning us ha ha Smiley Happy  By the way who is Varole? I did chuckle. Varole I think it is you over in France!! Do you like your nickname?  

Lisa what day and time is the funeral so I can think myself by your side and hold your hand love Lily xxx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Lisa, I hope you and the family are coping OK with everything related to your uncle including the funeral and dealing with all the paperwork. I'm sure it's not easy for any of you but I hope that when the time comes for the funeral you can all share your happy memories of him. Take care.

Varole, how are you doing? A bit murky here as well weather wise which doesn't make for such nice walks does it? That reminds me I must write down one of my normal walks to give you all an idea of where I go.

Anyway I have a very busy week full of appointments especially today and, Lily, you are going to love this - I am being interviewed for radio! My consultant in London has spoken about this a couple of times, me speaking about my experience of the service they offer at The Brompton to publicise the damages to the heart  that can be can be caused by cancer treatments. So, there's some announcement about research into this which I think is being made public on Thursday which my consultant has lead and they want to tie in the actual work done at the hospital unit I go to. As I've said befor im their best Guinea pig as I have had so much needed to be done to get me to where I am right now so, yes, I'm part of the radio programme! I'll update you tomorrow once I know more details 😊

Take care all

Nicky x

Hi, just wanted to check everyone is ok, especially Lisa. How are all the arrangements going, there is always so much to do. especially difficult with your new job and trying to get everything done and then supporting mum. You must be flat out. I still am but it makes time zoom by and doesn't give you too much time for thinking, so it has some advantages. Victor is absolutely obsessed with his new firm and finances, so I tend to leave him to it and go out with the girls at the moment. I love the Christmas craft fayres do you? i love the garden centres at this time of year too. i could throw away all my decorations and start again when I see the colour co-ordinated trees. i wouldn't as mine are collected over the  years and many were made when they were little and so quite special. they all look for their things on the tree each year and now their little people look with interest at what their mums made. Its an exciting time to work in a school and I plan to put my decorations up in my tutor room next week to surprise them when they come in. It will take a bit more effort to get Victor in that loft to get ours out!! Take care all love Lily x

Hi everyone, well the blustery weather is back with us so I have swung the thermostat up high today and feel better for the warmth. No hail here Lisa but by now you start getting much lower temperatures than us down south. Hope its not too chilly. Lisa we thought my brother hadn't left a will but found a very old one. there is a place that checks for a will anywhere but we didn't want to pay the fee as no money. If someone stores a will you will occasionally see a small paymemt of only about £10 once a year, so might be worth looking at bank statements if he was a squirrel with paper too. My brother hadn't paid them for 5 years but they are not allowed to throw them away. The wills just sit there until someone pops up and they confirmed to me that there was an old will and made me guess who might be executor until I got it right!!!! Crazy. The next of kin would be executor, so your mum as his sister. Is it just the 2 of them or any other siblings, as they would be next of kin and could be executors too? All of the funeral costs and any outstanding debts get paid first, so she can arrange a lovely send off with his money. That might help her. If he is intestate (no will) check the documents about what you can and cannot do as there is a lot online to help you and you cannot give away anything, its quite strictly worked out. You are the same relation as your cousins in this but your mum is the one who can make decisions. I am assuming he didn't have a wife or children? Anyway have a read, its annoying  to read but helpful. I can't tell you how upsetting it was sorting out my brother's things as mum paid for the funeral as no money to cover it and huge debts but a huge sum will be going to his wife who is not allowe din the country. Pensions and policies like that are not included as part of probate. If there are any policies/pensions, you should contact them because most people have said on those who they want to be a beneficiary and they do not follow a will or lack of a will. He could have named your mum and then that part will go to her. i hope you get some better news on that.Let me know if I can help at all.  Take care buddy. Big hugs xx.

Nicky we would love to  hear about your travels?? Had you been there before?

Carole hope you had a good weekend.  I am trying to get started on Christmas shopping. I hadn't posted overseas cards yet so got those done today. Postage seems to be so expensive. i was shocked at the price of 3 books of 2nd class stamps, just pence left from a £20 note. What we need is someone with a pigeon Smiley Happy

Take care all Lily xxx

thanks all, means loads. Been bit emotional today, went to sort out his bank and he'd saved a lot which he said was for mam but as no will it looks like will need probate and then split between my mam and my lovely cousins, my mam is so upset but it's not about the money it's about them not caring then likely to squander the money they did with what their mam left them and never followed her wishes, so I'm not expecting the,moto show their faces until they learn about money, but hey it's their conscionce. Mam had lots of cards today and I bumped into some of his friends at home so been bit rough,so hard as we all know.

so what has everyone been up to, we've had hail tonight. Nicky, I think she was on safari most of time so yours sounds more fun.

enjoy rest of your weekend all xx

Hi everyone. I just wanted to pass on my condolences too Lisa. What a shame and so difficult for your mum. Tell her I know exactly how she is feeling and will be thinking of all of you. With my brother, the paper mountain was exactly the same too but with a lot of shocks that we had no idea about. It has taken me months to go through things and of course we did find a very old will in the paperwork, which has been accepted as valid. I don't know what to say about relatives who take and give nothing but maybe people get their rewards for good things in the next life. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't help family and I know you feel the same so in the end it will help you to keep busy and feel you have been able to help your mum especially. Its a small comfort that he faded away and that it was not more severe when he had so many conditions and illnesses. poor chap. Why don' tyou tell us some of the lovely happy memories you have of him, when you feel up to it. Hugs to you and everyone Lily xx

Hi buddies

Yes Lily, the after effects feel very crampy and like what it must feel like after running a marathon Smiley Frustrated Its passed now so didn't last more than the day they did the test.

Nicky South Africa - wow - you're a cool cat Smiley Very Happy Did you fit in a safari or see any wild animals? Were you staying on a beach front hotel? After all your treatments and the move I bet the holiday did the world of good.

Lisa, hugs pet.   How horrible for you to be in the situation with your cousins and he sounds like he was a lovely man. There is no need at all to apologise to us, we're with you all the way in cyber land.

It's a cold but beautiful sunny frosty morning here today, better get my skates on and take Heidi out.   

Love to all and have a good weekend xxxx

Community Champion

Oh Lisa, that is so sad for you and especially your Mam, I'm sending you a huge hug and letting you know we are here for you and holding your hand throughout the difficult days ahead. It sounds like that your uncle's condition was found too late for his body to be able to cope with the treatment that may have helped him, this is such a problem when there are other unrelated health issues involved. As you say it was probably for the best and bless him that he coped the way he did from what you say. 😘

I hope that you can cope with all the sorting out and dealing with some very insensitive cousins! It does make your blood boil with some relatives attitudes but I know you are the bigger person and will rise above it all. Hugs to your Mam and Dad as well.

On a different note I'm sure your SILs Mum will have a fab time in SA. We stayed mainly in the Cape Town area and didn't do as much driving as before. We were near the coast for a lot of it and that was soooo lovely this time of the year. Also did a few days in the winelands which are spectacular. Everyone is so friendly and the exchange rate means it's very cheap for us Brits at the moment! It was very relaxing which is what we wanted, and needed.

Take care all.

Nicky x

Hi all, hope you've had a lovely holiday Nicky and everyone is doing well. Sorry haven't had a good chance to catch up. 

Safly ly my uncle died on Monday lunch time.mhe was so unwell but was. A totally gent to the end, they had warned us at the weeknd that all wasn't well and we had to think about options. I hate cancer so much at mo, he had managed his aspergillis, asthma, heart issues then cancer sticks it heads up, it looks like he's infection was too much, he's immune system disappeared and got sepsis and lots of other things, I sat at a and e for 7 hrs with him and then was okay for few days and tried all sorts but he just faded away without much complaining or any pain meds. It's somsad, my mam had lost all her family so trying really hard to sort everything out for her but boy Lily for a teacher of over 40 years I've never seen such a horder of paper, bills and documents, with him living alone near us we have huge amounts of papers to go through but didn't talk much about his wishes or leave a will and lots of contacts in address book so keeping me very busy until funeral next Thursday.  It was for the best but I just can't understand why they would give him chemo when he was so weak but his tumor was 12cms by the time the found it hidden behind his steroids for years and diseases

im really bad but trying to keep calm, my cousins we haven't been in enough contact since my aunty died, howver my uncle still sent them money every day and Xmas and they never got in touch apart from one to chase up her money, imtoldmthem before he died and they never visited or answered my emails around his funeral but I'm trying to hide it for my mam.

anyhow enough of my drama. How is everyone doing? My sister in law's mother is in South sfrica at the op moment and said its 40 degrees.msounds amazing xxx

night all sorry for being a miz!!!

Hi Nicky welcome back. That sounds like a very exciting holiday. Whereabouts did you stay and where did you visit? Tell us all about it. Good timing to fit that in around the treatments and it shows just what you can do if you put your mind to it. I am sure it has done you the world of good and lots of lovely memories too. How are the wedding plans going?

Carole do you get after effects from the shocks like muscle cramps or does it all stop when its over. Sounded nasty. Lisa big hugs buddy. I am not sure how the situation is so don't want to assume the worst. Thinking of you though love Lily xxx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Sorry for the absence but we had a wonderful holiday but a busy few days beforehand including treatment which meant I wasnt on here.

We went off to South Africa for a proper celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary and had booked this early in the year with the assumption we wouldnt be able to go one way or the other. Anyway luck was on our side (healthwise) so we had a great time, hot weather, beautiful sights and now fully recharged back in time to complete the Christmas shopping!

Have been able to catch up quickly on psts so sending big hugs to everyone of you who seem to be having either problems of your own or with family - not a good place to be.

Hoping that all treatments whatever they are work well and alleviate symptoms or treat the problems that are causing the symptoms.

Will catch up again from now on as I will hopefully have the time as we are more settled now with all the things going on with the house.

Take care all

Nicky x

Poor you Carole, that sounds horrible but glad all is well. Ranitidine always worked much better for me, especially as I can't drink yukky stuff and keep it down.  I am not sure how things are Lisa but will be thinking of you. Love Lily xxx