Community Champion

Re: Darling buddies from May - moving on

Hi buddies

Good to hear from everyone even though we all seem to be busy.

I have been looking after GS a bit more than usual as ED and SIL were at a wedding at theend of last week and both playing key supporting roles as well as ED doing the bridal party makeup. So we had our gorgeous GS for 2 nights plus the day in between and a final morning before handing him over to his parents on Saturday lunchtime.  It is lovely spending time with him but boy is it exhausting! And he is a heavy lad being already over the tope percentile for height which in turn means he's heavy for his age (although completely in proportion - as is his dad who is about 6ft 5 so we know who to 'blame'!). It really does my back in carrying him so can't wait until he can stand better on his own and walk, although then I'll be bending down holding his hands to stop him falling over!

We were returning him to where his parents where they stayed overnight after the wedding and as we know the bride and groom we were invited to the post wedding day BBQ. Only trouble was that it was in Poole, in August, in the final week of the school holidays so you can imagine the traffic problems we had.  The drive took over twice as long as it should as we kept being sent on alternative routes by our sat nav as another accident had happened on the original route.  Luckily I sat in the back to keep GS company and feed him a few snacks once he had woken up and we were still not there.  Reminded me of when I used to go on holiday as a child and it took forever to get there.  We had decided to stay down that way overnight for a short weekend break and I'm so glad we did as the weather yesterday was a perfect English summer's day. Quite breezy by the sea but not overcrowded as it wasnt as hot as it had been a few weeks back.  Some lovely walks along the cliff/beach walkways and a good dollop of sun. Perfect.  Only thing to stop me giving it a 10 out of 10 was not getting an ice cream on our walk back to the car as we had to hurry along as our ticket was expiring. It was good to get back home, in the normal amount of time, and sit on our patio yesterday evening enjoying the last bit of the sunshine.

A few more weeks of no appointments then I'm back on the CT/results treadmill although fitting in another holiday in between them as we may as well!

Have a good week all

Nicky xx

Hi Lisa, nice to hear from you and also really good that you have a lot going on in your life right now. You are far too young to vegetate ha ha. Its all hen party talk and plans here. My daughter wants it to be secret so I am finding it very difficult not to accidentally blab something. I hope I don't! So I try not to think about it. Do you have to plan the one you are going to? I know its a lot of work and you don't always get thanked for it, too many moans at times. Are you merging with another charity? Will it cover a wider area, more people or just the same? Take care and we are hear whenever you get a minute. Love Lily xxx

Hi all, sorry I've been missing, it's feel steam ahead for our merger go live date on Monday so been working lots and starting wedding planning so not had a minutes break. Hoping to catch up with you all and your stories tomorrow day time when I'm actual awake lol xxxxx hugs x lisa

Hi everyone, how are you? Carole any news about your mum? It sounds like it was a nightmare situation and I am sure it was made even more diffcult by you being in another country and trying to work out what to do for the best. Its a situation I constantly worry about, everything going pants up and big changes to the current regime having to be completely rethought. Actually everything went wrong here while I went on holiday. The other relative I care for had a fall and I have spent the last week sorting it all out and calming everybody down.Its surprising how many people do nothing to help but are quick to voice their view when anything goes wrong briefly.  I even got interviewd by ss thanks to someone making exaggerated false claims so they thought he was not safe. I was more than happy to tell them exactly how much I do for them around caring for my mother, a full time job and the large family of my own. I detailed every service I have in place to see he is checked on every day and eats, etc and also said I was quite happy to let anyone who thought they could do a better job, have him and do it instead. They were nice and said you are doing a great job, well done, just let us know if you ever need help or respite care. Do you know if I would have to pay for that? I am over it now but was very upset and then cross that somebody would take the time to ring them but not take the time to actually help him themself in any way. I have my suspicions. Carole I hope your situation is moving along better and that mum is safe and looked after now, so you can relax a bit. Nicky I love the hot weather so have been disappointed when the clouds came back. A bit easier to sleep at night though. Better for your walks too. Ha ha Victor would be like that about extra purchases too. I am back on plants and trees. Its not good weather to plant things so they are staying in pots near the house so I can keep them watered well. I bought 2 more trees for our mini forest, a bit more exotic ones this time so I told Victor they were a birthday present for him!! Then I have been looking for some shrubs with different foliage to create some colour when the flowers are finished. So there are another 6 to go in. I need to stay away from garden centres, they are the new cake!! Yes I rather thought Lisbon coulb be renamed sardine city from the way they cover every wall, shop, restaurant, fridge magnets, everywhere you look. I didn't like to mention that I don't eat them.  Like you I have been very busy babysitting. I think the toddler stage is most tiring as they get heavy and have their own secret language of noises to understand but rarely sleep during the day by 2 years. Labour of love though and we wouldn't miss a minute. I have to juggle mine as I have 3 families asking for sitters. Heaven help me when they all go out together! Glad your parents and inlaws are reasonable at the moment - enjoy the peace as it can change so quickly. Yes I am having such a lovely summer holiday break, probably haven't done enough work yet but the calendar tells me there is still time so I am putting it off. Get ready for the last minute panic. We are looking at holidays again already. Firstly to try to rebook my holiday trip which we lost. We might try to go again later this year if our plans work out. Then thinking about next year so we don't end up with an expensive house to rent because we left it so late. With a wedding next year too its a help if we can reduce the bill to share out. Also been trying to take mum out on little trips while she is up to it and she enjoys them very much. Have you got much left to do in the house or is it as you want?

Lisa what are you hooked on, on tv currently? I have to confess to being glued to the batchelor and batchelorette. Its a bit like a clean love island. I have also got hooked on wire in the blood and blue bloods. So the planner is full of things to watch.  Hugs everyone. I hope your week is going ok love Lily xxxxx

Hi buddies

Nicky good for you to be out early before the heat starts so you can still fit in a walk.   But I bet by the time you've finished you are perspiring a lot (ladies don't sweat of course).

Lily thanks for the tip about the fodmap diet (did you mean foodmap?) I will take a look when I have a quiet time which doesn't seem to happen at the moment. Portugal sounds wonderful, it's good you got there before the intense heat,  you don't know your limitations do you with the sun LOL. Hope you are not as sore now. Have you worn off the custard pastries?

Lisa how lovely to be a maid of honour.   Has the diet started yet?  Are you cool at work?  

Our intense heat continues, I'm sure you realise how difficult it is to be outside after about 9 am until 9 pm! But even during the night we've had temperatures of plus 20.   Sleeping is extremely difficult and I'm changing my clothes several times a day as my neck and back are constantly wet! When I am at home I wear the barest minimum. I haven't been able to get out with the doggies, well 2 at the same time is a put off as they both pull and it's hard by myself.   They play together and run about all the time and as we have a large garden (with very dead grass at the moment) so they are exercising.

Mum ended up having another fall after they sent her home, with the second fall she was left laying on the floor for around 3 hours, head bleeding.   Goodness knows why she didn't press her alarm button, she religiously wears it and yet was too confused it seems to call the alarm. Anyway she was taken back into hospital on Saturday, nothing medically wrong like an infection but was severely dehydrated, constipated and confused.   She was put onto a drip to get her hydrated and had several enemas to clear the impaction. We are all aware that she can no longer live in an assisted living home, so are now hoping for a place in an actual care home.   She needs help with her medication, cooking, drinking and personal care (much to her disgust, she never loses her stubbornness).   She was sent into a rehabilitation centre yesterday for some intense physio and a bit of looking after. She might only be here for a week but hope it could be for longer. As for the assisted living home, we are all going to make a complaint as it is clear that she should have been visited in her flat 4 times a day, had her room cleaned and washing done once a week and this has not been happening.

Sorry for long post, I think it's time for me to hop into the swimming pool as dripping already! Take care girls love Carole xx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Phew, a break in the weather, although none of the rain that was promised for last night which is annoying.

How have you all been coping? I have just been getting out for a walk early in the day then shutting myself indoors once it starts getting hot, closing all windows etc after trapping in the cooler air.  It seems to have worked as it's been reasonably cool indoors but boiling outside. When it gets this hot I do absolutely nothing! Which must please OH as I end up just buying food that we need and dont go to any other shops so the bank balance stays healthy.

Good job you just missed the extreme heat in Lisbon, Lily, that would almost have been as bad as a holiday when it rains all the time as both typoes of weather mean you dont venture outside as much.  I'm glad you found and tested the custard tarts, although they are difficult to miss.  Did you see all the beautiful sardine shops, one we saw was like a circus all brightly coloured with merry go rounds etc.  They certainly celebrate that particular fish!  Any plans for the rest of the holidays?  We have a few odd days staying away here and there but generally being at home and helping look after GS on the days he's not at his childminders.  Well, I say we, I mean me as OH is at work.  It is lovely but really tiring so I'm shattered by the end of each day as he's on the go all the time, and he's not even walking yet so goodness knows what will happen then!

Carole, how are things in France?  Any change in the heat you've been having?  I think we left just as the hot spell was getting going as the week before had been quite pleasant we were told.  Our weather over here has also stayed hot with only the odd cooler day thrown in for a bit of relief.  Hope Mum is OK and recovered from the falls.  It's a worrying time when it gets this hot especially for the elderly.  My parents are doing OK but OH's don't cope so well and their health has been suffering, although there's lots of underlying health issues as well which dont help.

Lisa, how has it been for you?  Do you have air con at work?  I tell OH to stop complaining about the heat, he's in air con offices all day, I'm sat in an un-airconditioned house!

Keep cool

Nicky xx

Hi everyone, how are you all? Baking hot like me? Who would believe British weather could do this??  Lisa how lovely to be asked to be maid of honour, is it for a friend? We have another wedding on the go of course and every time YD gets in a flap and starts doubting herself and planning diets. At least I get some company and someone to talk to about it as everyone else is tiny, lucky them. I think you seem to be having slightly cooler weather so maybe you can sleep better than us? Fan is on all night for me after having a week of air conditioning, its tough. Carole, sorry to hear about mum's falls, how is she now? Did they test her for a stroke or TIA or think it was just a coincidence to happen twice?  Mum gets much more doddery if she has any kind of infection and its not hard to get dehydrated and get a water infection in this heat. It sounds like you are even hotter though. How are you coping? YD gets IBS and has been trying the fodmap diet after being recommended to try it by a gp. Its about certain food giving you bloat, etc and is not too difficult to follow. Although it is annoying when favourite foods are out. Might be worth a read to see if your diet contains some of the worst foods, these include some fruit and vegetables too. Nicky I bet that free week was amazing and went by too quickly for you. As you say this is a really good regime compared to past more challenging ones so enjoy it and the extra time it brings to do all the other things you can't always fit in, on a busier week. ceWell we were lucky to escape Portugal just before the very high temperatures started. It was very hot there and seemed much hotter than published figures but that's probably because we were right in the city streets and the tall buildings hold the heat in. It was a lovely week. Our hotel was huge and very smart withuniformed doormen and silver service. So it was an anxious week as everything I ordered turend out very differently from what I expected and I am really fussy as well as being allergic to shellfish so in a flap about fish dishes. Good old Victor is now fat as a horse as he HAD to eat up my disasters as the waiters got concerned if I didn't eat it! That along with a lot of cool beers, which he only drinks much unless people are round. Thank you Nicky for the thumbs up about the little custard pastries. I fell in love with them and probably ate about 15 over the holiday!! What a piggy. Its a great city for sightseeing especially the historic sights. Did you go underneath the bank in the underground passages to look at the ruins? We did a lot of research before we went and visited so many interesting places. I was in heaven when I found THE shopping street with all the big names. Well better buzz off, still struggling a bit after a day on one of the lovely sandy beaches. I think the breeze off the sea is refreshing but fools you how hot it is. My tummy is like a red jelly Smiley Sad  and this hot sun seems to be keeping it going. My own fault. Love to all Lily xx

Hi all. Just not had much time to post really, 2 pups are keeping me very busy. But they're good company for each other so exercising hasn't been to much of a problem.

Everyday we seem to go to 40° heat. Thank goodness we can cool off in the pool at 30°. It's lovely before 10 am but after that just keeping inside, with fans as it's too hot outside.

I'm now on treatment for IBS. Can't really say it's helping except the strange sachet of granules I have to swallow once a day (Not unpleasant just odd), seem to be helping. They taste much better than fibregel.

The pups keep me very busy, even though it's too hot to go for a walk.

Other than that no news. I'm looking forward to son, girlfriend, grandson and baby granddaughter visiting in a couple of weeks, excited about that.

My mum has been taken off to hospital today for the second time this week. Tonight she had a fall, nothing broken but they're keeping her in overnight. She will be happy with that.

I'll post more about this but for now I hope you are all coping with the heat and keep safe in lisbon Lily as the heat is more intense. Love to all xxx

Hi all, how's the weather for you all, ours has gone downhill in the last few days, been bad but least garden had a water. Whose on holiday then? 

Im shattered work is relentless but will hopefully calm down in a few weeks lol.Nothing lee to report, but need to commence diet as maid of honour next may, yikes lol 

xxxx hope everyone well xxx

Hi all, I'm around Judah been manic, after 400 miles work driving last week hoping to be around more this week and have a good catch up tomorrow xxxx

Community Champion

Hi buddies

No reason for my absence other than not having time to log in and write lots! It was nice to have last week relatively free of appointments, just the one MRI (as the final part of the research study I signed up for) but what with that being early in the morning and looking after GS one morning and trying to get out for a walk before it gets too hot  I ended up not logging on as I find I can ‘lose’ too much time first thing in the morning. Excuses over! So, other than keeping out of the heat most of the time I haven’t really been up to much. It has been nice not having quite so many visits to the hospital this year (last year I was on Eribulin which was far too many visits) and also having minimal side effects from the current treatment so I’m relishing the freedom. We have managed to squeeze in two lots of friends for evening meals here which has meant some preparation etc (and late nights) but I’ve enjoyed it as it’s been quite a while since I’ve been able to plan ahead and feel up to entertaining anyone other than close family. It’s also been lovely to be able to sit out in the evening with them whereas most summers we have get far too chilly by July as the good weather usually stops when it’s time for the schools to break up!

Carole, how lovely to have a playmate for your little pup, I hope it pays off and you don’t end up with double trouble! How hot is it where you are? When we were nearby for the wedding I think it was about 32C on the day of the wedding and about 25C at least at night which made for some uncomfortable nights as we stayed in older places without air con. Btw, Lily, it was a friends daughters wedding who went to infant school with my ED so we know the family well and ED was giving a short reading/poem so we were all in invited.

Lisa how are things your way? Are you getting any of this decent weather? I hope so as it so often misses out the far north.

Lily, enjoy the holidays, I’m sure you will and I hope Lisbon isn’t too hot for you - at least you’ve had time to adjust to the heat as it’s been so hot here! I might have said this before but the old style trams get so overcrowded as everyone want to get on one. There are newer ones on most of the routes I think which are far more dignified and cooler.

Well an even better week appointment wise this week as I have none, hooray. So I’ll be getting out for early walks then hiding inside like I did last week plus a bit of GS sitting. Enjoy your week everyone, if you can cope with the heat.

Nicky xx

Hi everyone, how are you? Carole asked if I was near the end of term, yes this week but it has been so hectic in the weeks beforehand I hardly had time to do anything else so sorry for my online silence. Carole we have not had the final part of the refund yet but managed to get an email confirming everything from our bank so fingers crossed. I would never fly ryanair again as they have totally ignored my request, despite being on their form and posted to ireland. Nothing at all. Plus being left to stand at the gate and not be told they had no fuel and no plane. I think they were aware of that a long time neforehand and could have donbe more - like anything at all. My friend lost her planned holiday too due to pilot strikes. Carole the storm sounded freaky and I am glad it did not do any more damage as could have been catastrophic and you have had enough of those with your home already! How are the 2 pups getting on now? Any easier with 2? 

Lisa how is your job going now? Any more plans for your house this year? Its been a while since you decorated and I know you love it. I am planning on changing the hall, landing and stairs as we had some new doors put in and it really updates the look so deserves a few less fingerprints!!

Nicky I forgot to ask whose wedding it was? A long way to go for a wedding but probably worth it from the sound of it. Sorry gs was unwell and it had to be when away, nightmare. Did your daughter manage to stay calm as mine would be frantic if taken into hospital. 

Its been very quiet at home with son away with his work for a fortnight. Although we were on yhe mobiles to each other through the world cup games to exchange cheers and groans of disappointments. He was really fed up as had thought he might see their first win. I said as you get older you will get used to it! He has split with his gf so we are lodgerless now and he has found it difficult at times I think. Wedding fever has hit so we are all excited and the wedding dress has been picked. A spectacular creation that requires a catwalk figure. She certainly doesn't take after me, that's for sure. There are so many little ones and 3 are hers so it will be interesting to see how they are all included in the wedding. A little more difficult with boys. I am really looking forward to it already and its not until next year.  Well better buzz off. Holiday in  a week or so and I better get off the ground this time or I am going to sit in the middle of the airport and scream. So if you see a news article and see a woman dragged off, its me!  Lily xx

Highlighted

Hi just a quick post to say fantastic news Nicky and I am so pleased for you. Well done Smiley Happy Carole another dog!! Hope that will give Aero someone else to chew. Lisa your trip sounded lovely. Will catch up mor next time. Lily xx

Hi all

I'm actually finding time to sit at the Laptop rather than my phone so can send a slightly longer message.

Lisa, how was the barbeque?   Is your weather still hot?   

Nicky that is brilliant news about your results you must be delighted?   You sound fitter than me despite having ongoing BC.

Lily did you manage to get your refunds for your lost journey to Barcelona?   You must be excited, only a couple more weeks of this year's term left?

Our weather has been extremely hot, but last week we had a very strange storm.   Around 5 pm it started to get very dark and windy, so we knew something was going to happen.   As we sat eating our meal half of a tree came flying into our garden during an extremely strong gust.   The power went so we had dinner by candlelight lol.   However, the electric was off for 24 hours and the windy storm was soon followed by heavy hail and rain, thunder and lightening.  This weird weather didn't last more than a couple of hours and the debris of trees and branches in our garden and along the road was pretty full on.  Fortunately, all our animals were inside otherwise I fear they may have been injured.   The French news said it was a hurricane, but I think it was just a very strong gust of wind.

Then on Friday YD returned with all her belongings which as yet hasn't been sorted out so our house looks a bit like a charity shop.

Some other news, we decided to visit a French dog rescue.  I had already decided that IF we took on another dog it would have to be a femail.   Sure enough there was only one female there, she had been in the refuge for 4 days after being found just wandering around the streets.  Their vet thought she was around the same age as our pup.   Somehow we felt she found us!   We have called her Mea, she's a cross lab. So for 2 and a half weeks we have been very busy with 2 young dogs, who get on really well.   Mr P had to build a low fence around our pool area as Aero the chocolate lab decided he liked swimming and was jumping in and not getting out!   The pool doesn't look as nice with a fence around it, but the pool liner might not have stood up to doggie paws.

I'm full of aches and pains, yesterday I think I pulled a muscle in my chest so find today some movements very difficult. I'm having a problem with one foot and I've also been stung by a wasp just above my knee and that has swelled up and still painful. The other knee (the one I fell on) still can't take kneeling and that has been 4 weeks now. Enough of my groans.

It's hard to believe we're in July already, where has this year gone?   All from me, hope you managed not to fall asleep during my epic post Smiley Very Happy   xxxx

Hi all sorry I haven't posted for a while. All ok here, very hot like your weather.

I'll catch up soon.

Hope you're all ok love Carole xx

Welcome back nicky, sounds fab. Lots of people I know have had gastrointeritos heck ignore spelling. Poor wee thing. France sounds lovely but hot. I'm off to BBQ now after weekend in Newcastle so hopefully catch some soon.

fab news on results 🎉🎉😍😍😘😃🍾

Community Champion

Hi buddies

I'm back!  We had a fabulous time in France but unfortunately weren't able to meet up with Carole.  I had explained this to her beforehand and had thought that it might be possible but we only had one free day whlist in that part of France and an awful lot of driving beforehand and still to go.  As it turned out we had to help out ED as our GS wasn't very well (he had gastroenteritis) so we gave them a break that day and looked after him, keeping him out of the heat, cars and everything else!  It was very very hot but where they had stayed was much breezier that in the town part where we were staying so it was better that we kept him in the shade and let him sleep as much as possible.  He's fine now, it just worked its course, but they did need to take him to hospital to get checked after the local GP advised it.  He needed to be kept hydrated and replace his salts and sugars as he'd been very sick on and off for a couple of days. Back to his happy self now though.

So, we had a fab time visiting quite a few areas of France on our way down to the wedding venue.  The wedding itself was lovely, but everyone was so hot!  It was held in what we call a country house but was called a chateau and it was absolutely picture perfect.  Lots of fun, eating, drinking and dancing the night away.  A long drive home but we broke it up with stops so GS wasn't too fed up in the car, and back home to even more sun - but luckiliy much cooler nights than in France.

Also I came back to my recent scan results which I had this morning and it was rather an anxious wait in the waiting room.  Anyway it came back as all stable, no liver mets (or none that are visible), no other soft tissue mets and bones are stable. Phew, huge sigh of relief. Plus I had a routine heart checkup in London just before we went away and that came back probably higher than most of the general population!  I'm now on annual checkups with them unless my treatment changes to a harsh chemo regime. So, I continue being stabbed left right and centre every 4 weeks but other than chatting to the nurses on those occasions I don't see anyone medical at all until my next scan results.

Hope all of you are doing OK.  I'll catch up with any news from now on but just wanted to update you.  Sorry to have missed you Carole, the extra drive would have just been a bit too far.

Nicky xx

Hi all, been back a few days but straight back at work. We went to albuferia, in between old town and new town just to relax, so chills, walks and lots of fab food. We had amazing cake shop attached to us which was lovely and had some lovely meals courtesy of trip advisor, would never have found them. Even dad enjoyed the food. Weather was fab but boy it's hot here, I've got a fan on 24/7 it's been between 25 and 30 every day. 22 at night so very sweaty sleep, reminds me of the hot flush days..

nicky, that s fab news re your heart and figures crossed for other results. Hope you manage to meet up with carole x

lily, hope your holiday is coming up soon? 

Carole, how's the weather your end and how is the puppy coping with it.

well short week again as off to Sarah millican on Thursday in Newcastle, so football tomorrow and love island then off again 😍😍👍👍

xxxxxx

Well done Nick, really good to hear about your heart function now. Such a good thing you were brave and had the heart procedure, is it a year ago or more?  Fingers crossed as always for latest scans to show the op has had a very beneficial effect too. Good job you are a brave person!  Enjoy your breaks everyone. I will stay here and work booo while you all have a great time. I love the hot weather, love the footy too. One of the littles had their 7th birthday so 2 celebrations this month and another 2 nnext month and the holiday, so no chance of any kind of healthy eating, so having a great time ha ha. Take care. Hugs Lily xx 

Community Champion

Have a great time Lisa and tell us all about it when you’re back. Where did you decide to go in the end (other than Portugal, I mean which city). The UK does look good weather wise next week and we’re also off but, as you say, at least there’s no work and for me no chores or appointments. I think I need to give a 👍🏻to all my friends about any holidays we have booked as every time we go away the weather turns better here and we miss it. 

Carole, I’ll PM you about meeting up, I have been trying to check with both ED (and OH) about their plans and thoughts  as there’s only one day we could make it and the weather outlook has been changing a lot since the early part of this month which will make a difference about what we’re all planning to do on that day. I expect you are watering you’re plants every day now and hopefully getting in your pool to cool off. Who needs a holiday when you have that on your doorstep?

Lily, well you asked where the sun was and you have now got it coming your way! I love this type of weather when it’s still cool in the morning but bright and breezy during the day. None of that humidity that stops us sleeping. Not long until your holiday which you must be looking forward to and I hope there’s no hiccups with the travel unlike Barcelona. How annoying that you have to chase up the insurance company but it always seems to be the way doesn’t it.

So a catch up from me. Not much to report other than all the appointments are over with for a week or two at least. Scans and treatment last week and then a heart check up this week which went really well and it’s good to know that my heart function is now as high, if not higher, than the healthy part of the population. Well done that team. And also I’m on an annual checkup now rather than 4-6 monthly but can obviously see them if I have a problem. Going on how some GPS up the doses of heart meds without the detailed knowledge that a specialist centre has I would definitely take them up on that should I need it.  My MIL is having so many problems with her heart and her GP admitted to her the other week that she was wrong to give her a higher dose! Doesn’t instil confidence does it?

Anyway have a good weekend whatever you are doing. We are following the football, or most matches in the evening at least, and YD is loving Love Island but other than last night when she was watching it I haven’t seen it. Enjoy the ☀️ wherever you are.

Nicky x