cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling buddies from May - moving on

Re: Darling buddies from May - moving on

Thank you Optimissy  and welcome to our thread. She was lovely, her presence is missed as she was my companion every day for 9 years. Loyal and always here for me. The loss will get better I know, I've been through this with 2 other dogs and a couple of cats, rats and guinea pigs Smiley LOL I've had them all in one way or another. But, I think her loss is the worst. Like your lab, our cross lab loved cats and especially kittens. She adored and protected our last 🐈,  who is 3 1/2 now. They shared her bed together so I think he may be missing her too, but you never know with felines. They are quite different! Do you have any pets now? If you want to, and can tell us a bit about yourself, we would love to hear what your journey has been. No pressure, we are an easy bunch to chat with. We have known each other on this thread for 9 years now.

It has helped me to talk about her here,  I'm sorry if I have gone on too much. 

So, what are you all up to? Busy Christmas shopping girls.   I think I'm almost done now, just awaiting a couple of amazon deliveries.

Lily, when do you finish for Christmas?  I know it is always a difficult time as busy with plays, nativity especially,  discos etc.  Lisa, how are you spending Christmas?   Nicky do you go out for Christmas dinner or are you the chief cook this year? 

Thank goodness for WhatsApp so we can video link with our children and grandchildren in UK. It's not the same though and if things were how I wish we would all be together.😕😑😐😯

Have a nice weekend everyone xxxx

Community Champion

Oh what a beauty. My old girl was a black lab too - well, a lab-cross rescue in fact, -but looked mainly like a lab. She had her own bean-bag, but then would be forced to move when boss cat joined her and wriggled about till she was pushed off her own bed. Also a terrible thief re food, which i think is genetic with labs.

You must miss her so much. xxxxxx

Highlighted

20170818_094847 (2).jpgAnother one so you can see her beautiful face this was taken in September either just before or just after the seizures started

HeidiHere she is, silly girl. laying in one of the cat beds!

Thank you all, I know we've all loved and lost a loyal pet. Dogs are such an important part of everyday life with walking and needing a fuss.

Community Champion

Oh Carole, that is so sad and I'm sorry I wasn't there for you.  I know how it feels to lose one of our animal friends although a dog is more part of your life, and the way that you live it, than our lovely cats who passed away.  It is even worse I think when you have to make the actual decision although in your heart of hearts you will know it was the right one to take.  I have had to do it twice with elderly cats and it made me so sad even though I knew it was the right thing to do as they weren't going to make a recovery.  Remember the happy times you shared and take time to grieve, it is like losing your best friend so it affects us all.

Thinking of you

Nicky xx

Hi, oh no Carole that is so sad. I feel like Heidi has walked with us for a long time through our years of this illness. Obviously sent to look after you when everyone else was away. I think you are right about her health and that even if she had pulled through this time, she would have been straight into more and more serious fits and poor doggy not understanding what was happening to her. Lucky she had you, a kind owner to do the brave thing and put her first. What an empty hole they leave, our lovely pets. I am sorry I did not see this yesterday to reply sooner. Sending you big hugs. Love Lily xx

Thanks Lisa, I know you had to cope with the loss of your Robbie too. Lovely words, I've shared on FB. Xx

IMG_0307.PNG

Oh Carole, I'm totally lost for words, so sorry I wasn't on last night as ide been away. So much harder when you are on your own too. I know she will be a major loss to you, but I'm sure you knew it was the right thing to do for her to end her pain poor thing, but like you said doesn't end yours. Sending you the biggest hugs possible at this awful time xxxxxxx

Community Champion

Such a loss . You know you did the right thing, but it doesn't make it any easier does it? I'm crying right now for you and also for my old girl, even though it was over 20 years ago when I had to make the same decision as you, after she had had 16 good years. I still miss her. So sorry for how you are feeling right now. xxxx

Thank you Optimissy for your kind thoughts and words.

The vet came this morning to put her to sleep.   She was still un responsive and in a sort of coma.

I'm lost for words, just so devastated, she was my best friend, always here for me.  Her pain has finished and she is sleeping peacefully now.

My pain however...............

Community Champion

Oh Peacock I've just seen your post - how dreadful for you, and being on your own at this sad time is the pits. It is so sad to see pets suffering and having to make "that" decision about when the time has come. I do hope she is better tomorrow, but it sounds like you are prepared for that brave step that all pet owners have to make at some point. Really sorry you are facing this on your own, but hugs to you from someone who knows what this sort of situation is like. xxx

Hi Lisa hope the film and treats for the children were fun.sounds wonderful wish I could have joined you lol.

I spoke too soon...... during Friday/Saturday night Heidi had a small fit and yesterday seemed normal, happy, tail wagging etc.

I went to the dentist, shortly after I got back she had another fit, slightly worse.  An hour after that another fit, only this time it lasted for 1 hour 45 min,  during which time I was speaking to the vet and trying to find someone who could help me lift her to the car, at 27 kilos and a dog still fitting, I couldn't do it by myself. The neighbours were phoning around to try to find someone but no one was here. Eventually I managed to find someone and off we went to the vet. They set up drips, took blood and gave her phenol barbitol, valium and kept her hospitalised overnight.

I went to collect her this morning, and, since we have arrived home at 12.30 she has been comatose, or sleeping very deeply. She is too unawake to eat, drink, take her medications and the vet said she couldn't swallow so not to feed her. I've tried to give her valium, disolved in a tiny bit of water but I'm not sure that helped. I have rectal valium but can't work out how to open the glass vials. I am at a desperate stage, I may have to get her back to the vet tomorrow if I can't get her to drink as she will be dehydrating. She is incontinent so I have to mop that up, it's not her fault she doesn't know she is doing it. Fortunately she is in our utility room, so it doesn't really matter. We have a dog flap if she can get up to go out into a small fenced area, but she can't move, doesn't appear to be awake or aware of anything. So, at least she is not in pain. 

I am very sad, it's so awful to see and wish I had someone with me. I have questioned putting her to sleep, but, tomorrow she may be better and a bit more responsive. If not, I think her time has come. I question whether such a long fit has caused severe brain damage, and myself I think the seizures are a brain tumour, hence why none of the medications are working.

Sorry to be typing such a negative post, it's so hard, especially not having someone here to help and support.

Hope you all stayed warm today and was not affected by snow .  Love Carole xx

Hi everyone, how are you all getting on in this horrible weather. Unexpectedly we woke up to snow and a lot of it. Nobody could move in our road. We had 2 little boys staying so they were very excited but it took some planning to get them back to parents as we had to walk to where they could get to safely. The boys were thrilled to be out in it and pelted grandad with snowballs all the way there. Lucky nanna wasn't considered as much fun and had offered to film this instead ha ha. It was a bit of a nightmare as they are curous little people and we have presents everywhere so I said if you look at one I am throwing it away. They didn't. Well not as far as i am aware! Had a bit of time to do more internet shopping as I couldn't get to visit mum. Luckily my brother is trapped at hers so has to do the lot. Hmmm nice one. Hope you sorted the oven out Nicky, sp annoying not to have taken it out but most of the time they are useless. Did you enjoy having your little one round? How are you getting on with the tablets? Any side effects?

Lisa it must be a big shock Tenerife temperatures to minus figures, so wrap up warm or you will get the usual post holiday cold. Must have been lovely. How is work?

Carole fingers crossed doggy is ok for you. Well who needs the gym before Christmas? It would just get wasted with lovely foods around.Enjoy. Maybe you can visit your little GD in the spring which won't be long. 

Sorry I had internet trouble and Victor was away so I didn't know what to do to sort it out. Wifi worked though and I couldn't get my head round it. He was in Cornwall and the hotel told him he had to walk to the top of the hill and stand the other side of the church to be able to ring me on his mob, so he didn't. He said they had quite stormy/windy weather while there. Then I caught a bug while he was away. I managed to soldier on taking tablets but I had a bright red face for 2 days with a temperature and such a sore throat. I am on day 11 now and still coughing, headache almost every day and sinus playing up. Just wondering whether to take another tablet the chemist gave me as had rather bizarre reaction last night and wondered if the drug is related to the one I am not allowed to take now! Just like insects kept landing on me, then got all sweaty but just across my chest, then something odd with my foot.Bit itchy today all over.  I wonder whether I dreamt it or it happened lol.I've talked myself out of it reading that back, might try one in the day instead. Better go. Hugs Lily x

Hi all, as ever it's late when I log in and very tired, work is manic but I had a lovely break in Tenerife, it was 24 degrees so lovely warm break as opposed to the ice and snow on cars today. Well I will catch up on Sunday, off to Glasgow tomorrow it's the kids Xmas pressie from me, Harry Potter film with orchastrer and Xmas market and waffle parlour..... brrrh.... mind going to Scotland always remind me of our Val xxxx

well hope everyone is okay and I wanna catch up with gossip at the weekend xxxx

Hi girls

I apologise once again for not keeping up to date as often.   I just don't know where the time goes even though I am not working.   Doing simple housework takes me a couple of hours and after which I am exhausted.

My battery is about to die so just a quick one.

Nicky how did the sleepover go this time. Lucky you, am jealous our new GD is smiling and gurgling but i've only seen videos and photos so not the same.

Touching wood as I type Heidi has been ok for 2 1/2 weeks now so hopefully she is on the right medication, but as I am alone again who knows........... it always happens.

My gym sessions were cancelled as the machine has broken down. Not sure what is happening now but I might as well wait until after Christmas as nothing is likely to happen before.

Lily, you've been quiet hope everything is ok?   Tenerife looked nice and sunny Lisa, a bit different to your weather now I think lol.

Well better get on, have a good weekend everyone, love Carole xx

Hi all, I'm back but just off to bed, catch up tomorrow, congrats lily re mamo 

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Its always a busy time of the year for me, what with a lot of birthdays  towards the end of the year and then straight into Christmas shopping. I try to do that in stages rather than one huge trip (as I don't have the energy to trawl the shops for hours at a time) so my days get busy and I don't seem to get on here much. I have no idea how I fitted in regular hospital trips last year (and the year before, and the year before......)! Anyway good to hear that the mammon were clear Lily, no more squashed breast for a while! And Carole, it's good to hear a change in medications could be helping with the heart. I know they always check your thyroid activity when assessing atrial fibrillation as that can be one of the causes.  Hope you get on with the gym, it will be something that you might really enjoy getting out to do, especially at this time of the year when it's not always easy to get outside for excercise. I can't believe you had snow! We've just had either dull and mild weather to chilly and sunny so it's not been too bad so far. I can sympathise with the possible breakdown of kitchen appliances. I made a huge mistake earlier this year by not renewing the warranty on the combination microwave that is fitted in our kitchen. It was there from the beginning and although I wouldn't have chosen an integrafed one it has been so useful. Anyway, you guessed it the bloody thing has broken. This has been dragging on now for a few weeks with one incompetent 'repairer' ( I use the term very loosely!) whi was hopeless even though they were local and their online info showed they did repair this make of product. I then had to call out a fully authorised repairer who has now told me the spare parts are no longer made and I've now had to order a new one. Ouch they are so expensive, if I'd renewed the warranty I would have had a new one fitted if the old one couldn't be repaired. Not a happy bunny, and I've told OH that in no circumstances is this my Christmas present!

Ive also been seeing our lovely GS who is now at the smiley, laughing stage and for some reason he finds his grandma (I actually call myself glam-ma) very funny so I get lots of laughs and smiles from him. Just as well as he'll be having another sleepover with us next weekend when ED and her hubby have a night away for her birthday. All she actually wants is a good nights sleep - which is quite easy to arrange but very difficult to wrap ha ha.

Have a good week all

Nicky x

Great news Lily about mammos.

Did you have a good time in Tenerife Lisa, the pictures were good.

Glad you've been enjoying some treatment free time Nicky.

All quiet here. We had snow this weekend and it's been very cold. Heidi, touch wood, has been ok but Mr P is away again on Tuesday so we will see. It's bound to get worse because I'll be alone 😣 negative head on 🙄 and that is when things always happen. The dishwasher is making some strange noises so I expect that will be the next expense.

I start my gym sessions this week so hope to lose kilos!!! Palpitations are better, on new thyroxine now so that has probably helped. Plus also take a low dose of aspirin each day.

Take care girls xxx

Hi my 3 year mamos came back ok Smiley Happy