cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

Re: Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

Hello everyone, my name is Ana and I was diagnosed with Her2 breast cancer October 2017.

i had 4 chemo treatments of which I sailed by ! 18 radiation treatments of which I handled very well. I'm still having a targeted treatment, Herceptin, and I'll be done next month. I will on tomoxafin for a few years and so on. I've had my first mammogram after diagnoses last month and it's clear of any tumor's. Yehhhhhh

It's all good you may say, however the issue is that I have more discomfort and razor sharp pain and later like pull on my breath then ever before. My surgeon and oncologist advise me that it's all normal - but I can't shake the feeling of uneasiness.

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories, I feel connected to you through our mutual symptoms. 

The power of positive thinking will get us through our prognosis and beyond to wellness.

Merry CHristmas and a joyous 2018.🎆

Thank you so much, that is so reassuring to read, I have been getting stabbing achy pains and getting very anxious !!! I will sleep tonight now xx

I too have been having terrible burning pain and sometimes very sharp sudden pain, im 5 mnths post rads, I found a lump a couple of weeks back had a scan and had a letter back saying the lump is nothing to worry about but they will keep an eye on it, but now My skin has gone thick and raised and is sore cant wear a bra other than a post op one and thats only for a couple of hours at a time and im still so tired all the time I have kept doing the exercises although painful, I have had an appointment to see surgeon next week wasnt supposed to be seeing him till january so will see what he has to say about it all x

Thank you so much for sharing , I had a lumpectomy in Feb 2017. Followed by chemo, 16 rads and now Letrozole. Now I am having breast pain off and on. Also tenderness under the arm. There is hardness around the surgery site. So glad to hear other stories like mine!

Hi, I had a lumpectomy in November 2015 then radiotherapy which finished in March 2016.  I had the normal pains following treatment, but generally have not felt anything for months.  Until yesterday.  I had such a pain in my breast, in the same area as my lumpectomy.  It woke me in the night and was quite severe.  The pain carried on all day, and eventually I took paracetamol which eased it.  This morning it is back again, not very severe, but enough that I notice it.  Has anyone else felt this, after many months of no pain?

Sorry typed that wrong, what I meant was, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to suffer like this, what a wonderful and so informative board, love to everyone 

Glad to hear this as I'm suffering the same symptoms, 8 months after Radiotherapy, it's really annoying and gets me down in the dumps

Hi all this is the first time I've posted on here but I have been reading all the threads & finding the information you post very reassuring.
I had lumpectomy & Radiotherapy Sept - Dec 2016.
All going well had mammogram in Aug 17 & results clear. Had a follow up appt in Breast Check in Dublin this week and Dr reassures me that this tingly/itchy pain and lumpy hard bits is scar tissue. I was very happy to hear this & researching now how to help get rid of this . Firstly swimming has really helped me as my arm where sentinel nodes removed can get a bit numb at times & the arm & shoulder stretching exercises really are a must, as this keeps the tissue moving. Massaging Coconut OIL into the affected areas and leave it on after shower. I asked Doctor will this Breast pain ever go away & she really couldn't answer me .. It varies !! Massaging the breast with lots of oil will eventually help the scar tissue soften. It's nice to hear how everyone is getting on. I'm on Tamoxifen too & the hot flushes & mood swings are really bad !! But Dr said to me a lot of People would be happy just to be ONLY taking a tablet every day so I decided I'd keep on taking it.. Hope you all well & getting through this journey..it's tough at times but every day is different some good some bad 💕💕

Now i know that the odd stabby/itchy/crawley/tenderness/pain is all part of the healing process. I also declined chemo as margins/lymph nodes clear but had the 15 radiotherapies. Thx.

Hello, I had lumpectomy and accelerated radiation back in May 2009. I declined chemo at the time as the lymph nodes removed were benign, and my surgeon said all margins from lumpectomy were clear.   I can tell you that I have had slight pains of all sorts at the lumpectomy site, over the past 8 years, but nothing really bad, nothing unbearable.  There is scar tissue at the surgi-site that is quite hardened.  In August, during my annual physical, my PCP thought it felt odd and sent me for a diagnostic mammogram and sonargram. Both came out normal - just scar tissue she was feeling.  It sure scared me, though, as it would anyone who has had one bout of breast cancer.  Pains are normal in the surgi-site because of scar tissue, sometimes I have a little mini stabbing pain, sometimes an itch, sometimes a sudden achey feeling for a bit, it always goes away.  Hope this is reassuring for anyone with pain in your original lumpectomy cancer location.

Dab

I completed my chemo in Jan 17 and rads concluded in march. I was 42 when diagnosed and periods stopped then made a dramatic return in July. (Third one is late and goodness know what's going on with my hormones!! Oncologist described it as a hormone disco!!)
Boobs have been really itchy and has a baked look about it! Even as I type this I experience a burning sensation around my scar and where they did sentinel node biopsy. Sometimes it feels like there is something crawling inside my boob. Sets your mind whirring and wondering if this is the norm. Feel quite abandoned after treatment and have been referred to a psychologist as breast nurse is worried I'm not dealing with life after BC. Just found this thread and it's reassuring to know that other ladies are experiencing the same feelings as me!!! Much love to u all ❤️
Community Champion

Re: Breast pain

Dorit

Hello and welcome to this lovely forum and the wonderful ladies on here who will be able to give you loads of help.

I know we can all very much relate to your feelings once treatment is finished, I know 99% of the time i am perfectly ok and am back to getting on with my life, but then there will be an ache or a pain and suddenly the thought is there has it come back.  Your rational mind tells you no, but sometimes the aniety monster takes over.  Have you thought about having some counselling, I notice that you are in Israel so I dont know if what the process is over there.  You might well find it will help you to rationalise your fears,  I had counselling earlier this year as I was scared that I was coping too well and that I would crash and burn, it was lovely to speak with someone not directly connected with me, who could look at things objectively and that I was ablet o be totally honest baout how I felt without upsetting anyone.

I had a review with my oncologist in August six months after finishing rads, I was a bit concerned as the scar areas felt "lumpy" , he examined me and was happy that it was quite normal.

I dont think you will be influencing himb y telling him, he is bound to ask if you have been having any problems/concerns and it would be prudent to mention that you have concerns about the pain/tenderness, obviously your fear is there, but there is nothing to say that it is bc again and it will give you peace of mind.

We have a pair of "virtual" tough pants on this forum for ladies when they need that bit extra support before appointments, so I am sending them to you to help you tomorrow, the pockets are big so that we can all be there to support you.

Let us know how you get on.

Helena xxx

Re: Breast pain

Hi,

I am so glad i found this site just like many other members here.

I had my treatments since December 2015.

Usual way , first treatments, then lumpectomy, then 25 radiations. Then Tamoxipen.

Had terrible side effects and got catarav=ct in both eyes, they are VERY dry now.

Now i get arimedix.( aromatase inhibitor).

Already had first checks, it was ok though the breat is harfer then the " healthy" one.

I was going better , it used to hurt , but all concentrated itself towards the nipple and i was told it is normal, a reaction to surgery and radiation.

Since last week the breast became harder, all around the scar and entire nipple.

I was panicked how can it be so long after surgery and radiation and then i found this site and saw that so many women share the same feelings.. it was good to feel a part of all these women.

Since i was diagnosed i am in constant fear, i tried to get back to routine , i work and function but this is only the outside facade,

I suffer and cannot find rest, i try to be buisy all of the time in order not to think and sleep only with reaxing pills even if i am exhausted.

I have a pain and tenderness in my breast and under the arm.

this fraeks me out. A person who was not ill cannot understand it.

Tomorrow i go to surgeon control and am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO afraid.

I do not want to tell him in advance, want him to check and see for himself, i do not want to influence him and have no energy to run to mammogram again. My oncologist said it was normal. the surgeon wanted me to undergo mammogram after half a year as recommended by the doctor who wrote the first check mamogram result.

I need to do it on march - one year after the first check.

Sorry it is so long.

I just have no one that realy understands me except YOU all the women here.as " A stranger will not understand It "

Hope to get a comment.

Dorit, Isreal.

Y'now (don't take this the wrong way please) I'd SUCH a relief to hear that other people have experienced the same sort of confusing things! The medics seem to keep me in the dark over what I can expect - when I told my GP I was still in pain she said had I been lifting heavy things, perhaps the pain is muscular! But it's in the site of the op n it was worrying me SO much. Now I read your comment and breath a sigh of relief NOT that u r in pain but that it sounds like it's pretty normal so long after the up. Bless you, thank you Cx
Community Champion

People seem to recommend the Accord brand -although we are all different so may not be the best one for you .What are you on now ?

Hello, can I join in please? I had lumpectomy and radiotherapy in summer 2015. I still have pain and tenderness in breast. Have just had my second year check and fortunately all seems ok. I asked oncologist if pain is normal, and she said it is the result of radiotherapy so it may or may not go away!

I am taking Anastrozole and have had unpleasant side effects...flushes, joint pain, pain in hands with trigger fingers, weight gain etc.  BUT, after 18 months my hand problems have pretty much disappeared, no pain and trigger fingers now ok.  Feel very lucky.  I am thinking of asking to change brand of tablets as I have heard that this sometimes helps...it will still be Anastrozole but hope a different brand may give fewer side effects. Does anyone have any experience of this please?

brenda

Community Champion

Hi yes,some of us on the computerised system that they use have a very small percentage gain and my consultant told me that they are still not really sure who benefits from these drugs and who doesn't,some of us may be suffering horrible side effects with little or no gain.They are currently doing research into this .If you take the meds and they don't cause you much problem then it's not an issue ,if they greatly affect your quality of life it is miserable many lady's do stop after discussion with their breast care team .

Hi Jill thank you that's reassuring to know, I'm hoping all settles down and I'm back to Addenbrooke mid September. If no change will ask what other drug they suggest. The Oncologist said whilst I was on Tamoxifen, the benefit of me taking it was only 4%!!!!! apparently however they do this via computer, and what cancer you had. Worth knowing as I was told some people can't tolerate any drug, so end up not taking any. I was worried about this, as obviously wouldn't want cancer again, but it is all down to quality of life, and you go with what the experts advise. 

Community Champion

Ps I had op June 2015 and still uncomfortable in operated breast .
Community Champion

Oh you poor thing ,what a lot of scary side effects to deal with .Exhausting .Have you discussed what possible percentage gain you get from the meds with your Onc ?I know lots of ladies who on balance have decided that the gain was not worth the pain.Some of us are just so much more affected by the side effects than others ,quality of life is very important and there are no guarantees that the meds will stop a re-occurrence ,Hope things settle down for you soon .Jill.