cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

Re: Breast pain 12 months after lumpectomy

HI. You sound like me! Smiley Happy.2015-- (stage one/ hormone receptive) Lumpectomy, 5 weeks radiation- did a number on my skin. Tried two drugs, now on letrozole. Still having pain where they removed the (3) lymph glands and into the side of the breast. Throbbing pain which does wake me up. Lots of joint pain also wakes me up at night, goes away once I'm up and 'running'. Anxiety gets really bad at times. I, too, continue to stress, which I know is bad, worrying if the cancer will come back. Need to check out some sites where ladies are mentioning about bras. Wear one at night, mostly, and it seems to help. Why, I dont know. Smiley Happy Yearly 3-D imaging and other check-ups due in March. keep your fingers crossed for me! Smiley Happy OHH!The letrozole-- causing my  hair thinning, breakage, dried out, freaking me out. Smiley Sad  Glad to have found this site. Thanks everyone.

Re: Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

re front fastening bras. My surgeon recommended miracle bamboo bra. I bought one from Roberyt Dyas and i also found them on Amazon. Nicely padded. You can also buy bra extensions (from pound shop. lol)

I had my lumpectomy July 17 and finished radiotherapy in September. Back to work and feeling ok apart from stabbing pain occasionally and tenderness that side. I even thought they may have left the metal marker inside. Reading the blog I see it's quite common - I was concerned as it's my left side. Have outpatients appointment on Friday so will mention it

Hi Ladies, so reassuring to find this thread. 

BC diagnoses March 2017, lymph gland removal (3 / all clear), lumpectomy, breast reconstruction using flap/own fat from under arm/back and 18 sessions of radiotherapy + 3 boosters, Tamoxifen for 10 years!  Also due to family history I qualified for genetic testing, clear on both BRAC1 and BRAC2 genes.  I'm now getting to the 1 year mark from diagnosis.  Thought, probably as many of you did, I would start to feel 'normal' with the body again.  However I still have pain from my lymph node scar, tightness in my breast.  I still sleep with my soft sports bra on as this makes me more comfortable.  I followed the exercise plan and still cream the area of the operation scars.  Plus, having for a long period had problems with my lower back (had MRI scan, physio, meds for this), since being on Tamoxifen that has become a great deal worse. I’m only in my 40s but when I get out of bed, until I start moving, I move like someone a great deal older. 

Sometimes it does get me down, but then I tell myself I’m still here with my husband and children - I just plod on. Reading that others are experiencing similar problems, the replies to questions raised,  gives some comfort knowing we are not alone even when sometimes we think we are. 

All my thoughts and best wishes go out to you all - take care.

Hi ladies. Just joined and already finding out stuff which is reassuring for me. I feel incredibly lucky as everything has gone to plan. Lump found sept 17. Op September 17. Radiotherapy  finished Dec 17 and now restarting my life. However,  Just recently I have had pains just under my arm (where 2 non cancerous lymph nodes were removed).  My BC NURSE assures me all is well, but I feel more assured reading "real stories". My other "worry", is the fatigue. When does this stop? Mostly I feel good,  and have even started a gentle spin class and body balance class. But there are times I just suddenly, have to stop everything. I can easily sleep for 10 hours a night, as well as the occasional nap during the day. Is this normal? Also Bravissimo is excellent for bra fitting and choice. Just bought 2 new bras yesterday, and feel much better and more comfortable  already. 

Hi Memphis, I have just read your post. So glad you are all clear!!! I have a question, is there a tyo about the 'pull on the breath'? I was just wondering. My breathing has been a little odd since my 2nd surgery (Sept 7, 2017) where the 2 nodes lymphectomy (they were negative for cancer) and the original area where the HER- 6mm, Estrogen and Progesterone+, Stage IA, was found. I have an incision that is not healing up (Dr says that it can take a lot longer than normal due to having had the radiation, but I am on antibiotics for the 3rd time since Thanksgiving). Anyway....just wondered what you meant by that pull on the breath phrase. I can't seem to explain to anyone what I am experiencing. Thanks! PSB

hi my mother is due this operation in feb this yr she is 71 also had a heart valve replacing some ten yr back so is on warfrin my mother belives she  will die im so worried and just seeking some advice if u can help me

Hi welshlady 66.

i have looked for the bras from George on line and can not find them, I got one the other day from a different site which was ok front fastening but had no padding what so ever, after wearing it my boob hurt more as I had   no support. Could you let me know please what site you ordered them off as at least they had the paddings thank you 

Hi Avyi,

Very late to this but just wanted to reassure you that I had exactly the same thing but two years before you and I'm big boobed too.  I didn't ask, but always wondered if the surgical team had taped over my nipple to keep the breast taut at the outside edge which is where they made the incision.  It felt like someone had put a big bit of tape over the nipple and front of my boob and then ripped it off afterwards.  Happy to say that the pain stopped eventually.

I found the best bras for me (30G) were Macom as you can order them by back size and the cups stretch to fit your cup size with no seams and not too much compression (the Royce bras felt like I was wearing an elastic band, ouch!)

Hope things ease for you soon

x

Sharon

Hi. I had a lumpectomy September 16. Followed by chemo and 20 rads. I still have a very lumpy boob from scaring and odds bit of shooting pain. All part if the healing process I'm am big boobed. Can't go out wearing a bra. Bravissimo have great non under wired and I have bought a bra on line called Anita. Pricey but amazing. Keep going ladies. You have all done the hard part. X

So relieved on reading these comments. Had my surgery in June 2017. Feels like I'm getting sore now I know I'm not on my own.

I had lumpectomy in June 2017 then 15 rads and 5 boosters, I have since found that first thing in morning when I get out of bed oh my days the pain in my right boob and under my arm where lymphnodes removed is painful. Once I move about it does ease off, I am finding as months gone on my breast is more tender and under arm not so flexible even tho I still do excersises. When I worry more than usual I look at this site and read comments and then I don’t feel so alone and scared, thank you everyone 

Hi Avyi I was the same as you had terrible problems wearing a bra post op and then after my radiation treatment could not tolerate anything near my skin, I had two bouts of cellulitis which took months to get rid of and now I have fibrosis of the breast tissue and lymphodema of the breast as well, the best bras I bought were the cheapest from george they are post op bras you have to order online, but they came very quickly and I think were around £15 they fasten at the front and you think they are going to be tight but once on they are so comfortable and they have pads for the inside which is good as my right breast is bigger than my left with the swelling, they are very strechy and soft I would recommend them to anyone 

Community Champion

Avyi

Perhaps give your bcn a call tomorrow and see if she can suggest something xx

Thanks but I did that. Waytoo uncomfortable to have any constriction at all against the boob.. 

Community Champion

Avyi

I took the wires out of one of my bras which I found comfortable xx

I'm almost 3 weeks post lumpectomy and 2 lymph nodes out. I got an infection in my breast wound that has delayed my return to work and am on antibiotics for that. The actual wound doesn't hurt, nor does the under arm wound, although I have the stiffness and pain there when stretching, but have bneen doing my exercises, so thats getting better. 

My problem is around the nipple and front of breast area - shooting, sharp pains, pin like pricks, sore, swollen and still bruised nipple area. I cant wear a bra - tried twice. However I'm very large boobed and I cant go to work without a bra on after chrismtas!   Are there any other big boobed women who have any ideas for me please?  Sports bras hold you in tightly so that you dont bounce when running so they are too uncomfortable as I cant have the pressure.

Many thanks ladies

x

I am also getting lower middle back pain.  4 weeks after lumpectomy.  I am going to look up effects of anesthesia.  Also, I am getting a slight blip in heart,that a feel like fainting, but it goes away very quickly.  Scary. That might be another anesthesia effect.

One Yr on, like so many of you I still have pain under my arm, around my breast and across the Lump removal scar. My shoulder is stiff and my inner arm number. This is obviosuly radiation and nerve damage. 

I still wear sports bras as they don't hurt me as much as pretty ones - my aim is to have a pretty one by Christmas 2018, even though continually taking  Heceptin my libido to zero! 

I'm 64 but look 50. However, I feel like an old lady when I wake up, after exercise I lose 10 yrs, and then I can eally get on with things.

I had to shut my business 4 months ago and now I'm trying to start a life. Its can't be the same but it will be good if I work at it.

Its a real shame that locally they offer no physio on exit from the Operations or Radiation. They know that cutting nerves causes the pain and the settling down takes a while  (I was told 3 months, then told 6 now being told 12)   Radiation has hidden side effects that don't go away quickly. However the main problem is post op  is that a physical physio session is no longer included - a sheet of paper doesn't work -  it has to be. My physio friend gave me exercises to do every morning - they help!

Like everything worth having you have to work at it - so go swimming (backstroke is essential), massage the solid and hard areas where the pain is, get fit and eventually - I sincerley hope it wiil all start to ease. 

Mine has marginally... so yours can to!

Hi
I was about to start a new post about the same thing until I came across this one.
I had my lumpectomy in April followed by 15 fractions of Rad therapy.
Just recently though I have been getting a lot of sharp pain along my scar and my ribs hurt, which often means me not wearing a bra.

Having read the comments I think my symptoms are normal xxx