cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

Re: Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

Hi all this is the first time I've posted on here but I have been reading all the threads & finding the information you post very reassuring.
I had lumpectomy & Radiotherapy Sept - Dec 2016.
All going well had mammogram in Aug 17 & results clear. Had a follow up appt in Breast Check in Dublin this week and Dr reassures me that this tingly/itchy pain and lumpy hard bits is scar tissue. I was very happy to hear this & researching now how to help get rid of this . Firstly swimming has really helped me as my arm where sentinel nodes removed can get a bit numb at times & the arm & shoulder stretching exercises really are a must, as this keeps the tissue moving. Massaging Coconut OIL into the affected areas and leave it on after shower. I asked Doctor will this Breast pain ever go away & she really couldn't answer me .. It varies !! Massaging the breast with lots of oil will eventually help the scar tissue soften. It's nice to hear how everyone is getting on. I'm on Tamoxifen too & the hot flushes & mood swings are really bad !! But Dr said to me a lot of People would be happy just to be ONLY taking a tablet every day so I decided I'd keep on taking it.. Hope you all well & getting through this journey..it's tough at times but every day is different some good some bad 💕💕

Now i know that the odd stabby/itchy/crawley/tenderness/pain is all part of the healing process. I also declined chemo as margins/lymph nodes clear but had the 15 radiotherapies. Thx.

Hello, I had lumpectomy and accelerated radiation back in May 2009. I declined chemo at the time as the lymph nodes removed were benign, and my surgeon said all margins from lumpectomy were clear.   I can tell you that I have had slight pains of all sorts at the lumpectomy site, over the past 8 years, but nothing really bad, nothing unbearable.  There is scar tissue at the surgi-site that is quite hardened.  In August, during my annual physical, my PCP thought it felt odd and sent me for a diagnostic mammogram and sonargram. Both came out normal - just scar tissue she was feeling.  It sure scared me, though, as it would anyone who has had one bout of breast cancer.  Pains are normal in the surgi-site because of scar tissue, sometimes I have a little mini stabbing pain, sometimes an itch, sometimes a sudden achey feeling for a bit, it always goes away.  Hope this is reassuring for anyone with pain in your original lumpectomy cancer location.

Dab

I completed my chemo in Jan 17 and rads concluded in march. I was 42 when diagnosed and periods stopped then made a dramatic return in July. (Third one is late and goodness know what's going on with my hormones!! Oncologist described it as a hormone disco!!)
Boobs have been really itchy and has a baked look about it! Even as I type this I experience a burning sensation around my scar and where they did sentinel node biopsy. Sometimes it feels like there is something crawling inside my boob. Sets your mind whirring and wondering if this is the norm. Feel quite abandoned after treatment and have been referred to a psychologist as breast nurse is worried I'm not dealing with life after BC. Just found this thread and it's reassuring to know that other ladies are experiencing the same feelings as me!!! Much love to u all ❤️
Community Champion

Re: Breast pain

Dorit

Hello and welcome to this lovely forum and the wonderful ladies on here who will be able to give you loads of help.

I know we can all very much relate to your feelings once treatment is finished, I know 99% of the time i am perfectly ok and am back to getting on with my life, but then there will be an ache or a pain and suddenly the thought is there has it come back.  Your rational mind tells you no, but sometimes the aniety monster takes over.  Have you thought about having some counselling, I notice that you are in Israel so I dont know if what the process is over there.  You might well find it will help you to rationalise your fears,  I had counselling earlier this year as I was scared that I was coping too well and that I would crash and burn, it was lovely to speak with someone not directly connected with me, who could look at things objectively and that I was ablet o be totally honest baout how I felt without upsetting anyone.

I had a review with my oncologist in August six months after finishing rads, I was a bit concerned as the scar areas felt "lumpy" , he examined me and was happy that it was quite normal.

I dont think you will be influencing himb y telling him, he is bound to ask if you have been having any problems/concerns and it would be prudent to mention that you have concerns about the pain/tenderness, obviously your fear is there, but there is nothing to say that it is bc again and it will give you peace of mind.

We have a pair of "virtual" tough pants on this forum for ladies when they need that bit extra support before appointments, so I am sending them to you to help you tomorrow, the pockets are big so that we can all be there to support you.

Let us know how you get on.

Helena xxx

Hi,

I am so glad i found this site just like many other members here.

I had my treatments since December 2015.

Usual way , first treatments, then lumpectomy, then 25 radiations. Then Tamoxipen.

Had terrible side effects and got catarav=ct in both eyes, they are VERY dry now.

Now i get arimedix.( aromatase inhibitor).

Already had first checks, it was ok though the breat is harfer then the " healthy" one.

I was going better , it used to hurt , but all concentrated itself towards the nipple and i was told it is normal, a reaction to surgery and radiation.

Since last week the breast became harder, all around the scar and entire nipple.

I was panicked how can it be so long after surgery and radiation and then i found this site and saw that so many women share the same feelings.. it was good to feel a part of all these women.

Since i was diagnosed i am in constant fear, i tried to get back to routine , i work and function but this is only the outside facade,

I suffer and cannot find rest, i try to be buisy all of the time in order not to think and sleep only with reaxing pills even if i am exhausted.

I have a pain and tenderness in my breast and under the arm.

this fraeks me out. A person who was not ill cannot understand it.

Tomorrow i go to surgeon control and am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO afraid.

I do not want to tell him in advance, want him to check and see for himself, i do not want to influence him and have no energy to run to mammogram again. My oncologist said it was normal. the surgeon wanted me to undergo mammogram after half a year as recommended by the doctor who wrote the first check mamogram result.

I need to do it on march - one year after the first check.

Sorry it is so long.

I just have no one that realy understands me except YOU all the women here.as " A stranger will not understand It "

Hope to get a comment.

Dorit, Isreal.

Y'now (don't take this the wrong way please) I'd SUCH a relief to hear that other people have experienced the same sort of confusing things! The medics seem to keep me in the dark over what I can expect - when I told my GP I was still in pain she said had I been lifting heavy things, perhaps the pain is muscular! But it's in the site of the op n it was worrying me SO much. Now I read your comment and breath a sigh of relief NOT that u r in pain but that it sounds like it's pretty normal so long after the up. Bless you, thank you Cx
Community Champion

People seem to recommend the Accord brand -although we are all different so may not be the best one for you .What are you on now ?

Hello, can I join in please? I had lumpectomy and radiotherapy in summer 2015. I still have pain and tenderness in breast. Have just had my second year check and fortunately all seems ok. I asked oncologist if pain is normal, and she said it is the result of radiotherapy so it may or may not go away!

I am taking Anastrozole and have had unpleasant side effects...flushes, joint pain, pain in hands with trigger fingers, weight gain etc.  BUT, after 18 months my hand problems have pretty much disappeared, no pain and trigger fingers now ok.  Feel very lucky.  I am thinking of asking to change brand of tablets as I have heard that this sometimes helps...it will still be Anastrozole but hope a different brand may give fewer side effects. Does anyone have any experience of this please?

brenda

Community Champion

Hi yes,some of us on the computerised system that they use have a very small percentage gain and my consultant told me that they are still not really sure who benefits from these drugs and who doesn't,some of us may be suffering horrible side effects with little or no gain.They are currently doing research into this .If you take the meds and they don't cause you much problem then it's not an issue ,if they greatly affect your quality of life it is miserable many lady's do stop after discussion with their breast care team .

Hi Jill thank you that's reassuring to know, I'm hoping all settles down and I'm back to Addenbrooke mid September. If no change will ask what other drug they suggest. The Oncologist said whilst I was on Tamoxifen, the benefit of me taking it was only 4%!!!!! apparently however they do this via computer, and what cancer you had. Worth knowing as I was told some people can't tolerate any drug, so end up not taking any. I was worried about this, as obviously wouldn't want cancer again, but it is all down to quality of life, and you go with what the experts advise. 

Community Champion

Ps I had op June 2015 and still uncomfortable in operated breast .
Community Champion

Oh you poor thing ,what a lot of scary side effects to deal with .Exhausting .Have you discussed what possible percentage gain you get from the meds with your Onc ?I know lots of ladies who on balance have decided that the gain was not worth the pain.Some of us are just so much more affected by the side effects than others ,quality of life is very important and there are no guarantees that the meds will stop a re-occurrence ,Hope things settle down for you soon .Jill.

Me again, I also forgot to say I also have pain now and again in or under the breast where I had surgery. I also notice this if my granddaughter leans against me in that particular area. Same goes I for if I get a hug in that area too. I did mention this to my Oncologist last time I saw her and she said its from having Radiotherapy. Hope this helps others that may be experiencing similar.

Re: Breast pain 12 months after lumpectomy

Hi everyone I had a lumpectomy and 18 zaps of radiation in September 2015. I was on Tamoxifen since then, but because of the horrendous size effects of which I tried to live with, my Oncologist has now put me on Letrazole. I've only been on it 3 weeks, but the side effects are just as bad, my hot sweats have returned with a vengeance every hour or so. I'm back to see my Oncologist in September to see how I've been. At the moment it's a nightmare, hot sweats, weight gain all over, swollen ankles, wrists, arms, everywhere, joint pain, leg pain, and feeling giddy at times. The past 15 months I have experienced extreme chest pain in the centre of my chest, so intense I was taken to hospital for tests, as the symptoms were like a heart attack, but luckily it wasn't but they also didn't know exactly what it was. They happen every few months or so and just come on, it lasts for approx 15 mins but the last one a few months ago was over an HR, and an ambulance was called, and morphine given which stopped the pain. I'm thinking it could be Cardiotoxicity (I had never heard of this until my Sister saw an article in a newspaper) and no medical person has mentioned this to date. Last but not least I'm continually feeling exhausted with no energy, even after doing housework for say about 30 mins I need to sit down and could stay sitting for hours. I'm trying to keep positive but at times very hard when you have so much to deal with. I hope this may be useful to other people who may be like me you are not alone ever.

Community Champion

Hi Janee

Have you been on anastrozole long? I take letrozole and found that if I take it in the evening, I don't get the nausea. Also I found it worse when I first started and now, 9 months on,it seems to have settled.

Hope this helps xx

This site is great , I had my lumpectomy last August after my routine mammogram showed two growths and whilst in surgery had lymph nodes removed. I sympathise with you over the tenderness and pain ,I try and live with it because I don't know who to talk to cos people say oh you look good and you'd never think I'd been 😷I'll. As I'm new o the area I live I don't know anyone to talk to and just explain my pain and anxieties. 

I could only have radiotherapy as I also have CLL and had chemo back in 2006/7. The meds they put me on was Anastrozole and had some side effects nausea,hot flushes. My gp wasn't happy giving me something for the nausea and when she did I could only have 28tabs that lasted a month.

I think I have gone off the reply by telling my story but I know exactly how you feel and the need to talk is vital

I had lumpectomy may 15th then 25th another because marginwas not enough .i start chemo july 13th.little nervous last 2 day had very sharp pains reading some of the comments i see it is normal feeling better about that thank you

I had chemo April to September 2016, surgery lymph nodes remove in October and rads in December, and still in pain around the site where tumour was, starting work on Monday and I'm so tired, my feet feelings like when I was on chemo. Does anyone find it uncomfortable to wear bras.

Hi...feeling pretty scared & anxious as i went thru a lupectomy & treatment in 2014, and have had regular check ups. however, in the past few weeks i have been experiencing that burning, stabbing pain that most of you have mentioned as well though what concerns me is that it's been almost 3 since the initial diagnosis. My dr is scheduling me for a mammogram and ultra sound to check things out. I am scared but I am sort of relieved to have found this site and feel a bit better reading other's experiences. I hope it's nothing but ever since beening ill and having the surgery etc etc...its so hard NOT to be feeling overly stressed and worrisome when something occurs.

This forum is brilliant as you all say people go you are looking well now, my op was last year and  also had splinter in lymph  i am still in pain from scarring and lumpy boob i had my year test done and all ok, but in the back of my mind i constantly worry. My husband re-assures me on a daily basis, but as i didnt know that i had it the first time,only due to mamogram (thank the lord these people exist) i would never had known.

As all say get it checked if worried, i had a panic attack about 3 months ago the Dr was brilliant and they really dont mind due to circumstances.

Hope all goes well

Elaine

I had 2 as well  but in July and September 2015 plus rads in January 2016. I find the burning sensation and the achiness  comes and goes and it's only at night that it gets to me. 

Hi, I had lumpectomy June 17th 2016 and another op on 21st July as margins weren't clear. I had the usual soreness in the area initially but for the past 2 weeks the area seems to have flared up with pain, a stabbing sensation and burning, it's more painful now than when I had the ops done. I'm at the hospital on 16th June for first mammogram since ops. This sudden onset of constant pain has worried me but after reading all the comments on this forum, it seems that it's not unusual.

I 'd hoped that I'd be able to sleep on my stomach again eventually..but 2 years after my lompectomy I still can't.. I live in hope.

I had a lumpectomy 14 months ago and still get a lot of pain both in my breast and under my arm. I am also suffering with the side effects of the medication ( Letrazole) to be honest can't remember the last pain free day I had 😢

Hi Caz

You don't say much about what kind of pain your in, or info about your op, but just wanting to say to you, don't suffer in silence, if you had an op last Thursday and you are in severe physical pain, don't try and cope with it contact the emergency numbers the hospital would have recommended.  You don't have to be strong, the help line on this website might be able to help tomorrow to talk through things, you need to look after yourself, so please reach out to where you feel most comfortable. Xx

I'm so in pain I don't know who to talk to as I don't want to worry anyone my family x had the operation last Thursday and I can't believe the pain I'm in I'm a very strong woman but I feel so weak please help me get though this I understand everyone just thinks just get over it I'm all over the place I'm back at the hospital on Wednesday I don't now what they will do next 😝

Just like I just read, I was diagnosed April 2016 have gone through the Treatmen , my Breasts are still tender.

I am a bit paranoid about my next Mammogram Will it hurt? Will they find anything?

I also  dont like  comments other people say: but the Cancer Is gone now, you are looking good.

No one sees when you are tired and just want to crawl away.

I had lumpectomy in March last year then chemo and rads and still get painful twinges In breast , I was never so thankful to get results of my first mammogram, so glad I found this forum x

I bad a lumpectomy in 2004 and still experience a sharp pain every now and then. So my assumption is that it never goes away.

Hi I had my surgery and radiotherapy in August 2014 and I still get burning and discomfort from time to time in my breast. I can only presume it's scar tissue that flares up now and again and I'm due for my mammogram in June I have them every 18 months down here in Wales , I would prefer annual but I've been told that research has shown no difference in outcome , that's easy to say unless you're waiting for your next one for reassurance!! anyway I would say that a year on I presume you had radiotherapy they say it's the gift that keeps on giving so I think what you are experiencing is not unusual I certainly was still having pain and discomfort at times and as still do , so try not to worry x

Hi I am in same position like others have my surgery twice chemo radiation etc it was long road and people saying thank god it's all finish and I look normal but shame I can not show the scars I had inside me I am talking mentally not physically

I am with you there I had mine surgery and everything last year this time but still in pain and gets emotionally upset many times when people says looking good can they see my inside

Hi everybody, I had lumpectomy a year ago but suddenly starting pain in my breast now and then any idea what is.

anyway everybody needs to know that like other ladies said I am talking and walking ok but in pieces from inside which no one can see.

i wish they can see the mental and emotional effects of big C on any body

Hi Alison51

I've just read your post and you're right down to every word no one knows what you're feeling unless they have been through it. I was diagnosed in April 2016, I had the full works no support from people who says they are friends no support from work, now I'm constantly in pain. people keep saying you are looking good, I always said that's the outside you don't know what I'm feeling on the inside.

hello this is so good to see that you are not alone, i am due mammogram first after surgery for BC and a splinter had gone to lymph node, so am slightly paranoid, just like you some friends say such tactless things, like well at least you know that you had it and its gone !! just to ask how did you cope with mammogram as my boob still lumpy and painful, operation was in march 2016? x

Hello, I am new to this however I was so moved by the letters.  I am not new to the BC world, had ER PR BC 6 years ago, then this past April was having another lumpectonmy same breast same ER PR BC.  I am not sure what is worse, always feeling like you have the BC in the back of your mind, or dealing with human beings who do not have a clue what hearing you have C feels like.  I am convinced of one thing, it takes courage to continue and dedication to learn everything that is available to help, and it takes a real sense of the fact that we are valuable, we are wonderful and we deserve the best.  There is no time for anything less.  So God bless all of you.  So now 8 months late I am having shooting pains, sorness and I wonder what the heck is going on now?  I am seeing an doctor now who is going to start bio identical hormone progesterone to see if we can balnce out the estrogen.  After what I learned about Tomoxifen, I felt lead to go this route.  I am having enough issues that I want to avoid any further health issues cause by a medication.  Has anyone tried this route?

Alison51 You are talking as if you were me! I feel exactly the same. Everyone thinks you are OK cos you're walking and talking. I too had a lumpectomy mine was in February 2016 and I still have pain now and then. And since having lymph node removed for my SEN that hurts loads if I'm not careful.

Thanks everyone,  very reassuring to hear your comments.  Had lumpectomy end of September,  and get occasional twinges and twangs  in my breast especially the week after chemo; or if unwell-just getting over a chest infection which was not fun coinciding with 2 days after chemo.

How did people find the T half of chemo, as compared to FEC?

Any strategies?

Thanks.

Hi Alison

You're saying so many of the same things I've been saying, that somehow people have got the impression that breast cancer is no big deal, you have a bit of treatment and then it's all behind you and off you go. I don't know whether it's because more women have lumpectomies now, and that sounds like something quite small, they don't realise that it can still be quite major surgery. And as you say, you can continue to have pain from it long after all your friends have forgotten all about it. And the radiotherapy and chemotherapy, they have ongoing side effects. And then there are the hormone treatments, I don't think anyone on the outside realises that they have a lot of side effects, and you have no choice but to carry on taking them for years.

Like you, I've found that friends have been a bit varied, one just told me off for being negative when I said I worried about it coming back, another got the hump when I cancelled going over to her house for the day (60 miles away, and I gave her more than a week's notice) because I still wasn't feeling well after all the surgery. But other people I didn't know all that well have been wonderful, you do learn things about people when this happens to you. I have found coming on these boards brilliant in terms of finding people who get it, most people out there haven't a clue how we feel.

I was diagnosed in March had my lumpectomy and my lymph nodes removed in April 2016 , which were clear , and recently Iv been worried about the pain Iv been having , specially when I'm sleeping as I sleep on my front and the pain wakes me up , reading people's post that even at 18 months they still have pain ,kind of makes me at ease and worries me that it could last that long . And also reading how family and colleagues think because your treatment is over that your ok , and thinking because your walking around and even working that your ok , I'm fed up with people saying you look good and glad your ok , I won't to say to them well when you have had a doctor say those words you never thought you would hear you have cancer , and then have half your breast cut away , and a mixture of chemicals pumped into you body and bombarded with radiation and the pain you feel and the emotional feelings your going through , then and only then you will know how I feel , And know saying your ok so get over it is so far from ok to say .Iv also Hurd people say you find out who is your friends , and that is so true , I cannot belive a so called friend stopped talking to me because I cancel a holiday because I was recovering, and to this day blames me for reckoning her holiday . My advice to anyone with a negative person in there life while going through cancer get rid of them and look after yourself . 

I have until recently only read other people's conversations but have been worrying a lot lately as my breast are so sore when I press them, I had bilateral mammaplasty in Jan and finished radiotherapy in May. Your comments have helped me so much I didn't realise I would  feel sore for so long. Thank you Jeanette .

Hi Katm, your post saddens me and also makes me so angry on the other hand. How dare people tell you 'that you should just get on with it and that you were lucky'  . You're allowed to feel how you feel.  If they can't be supportive or don't know how to be, then they should keep those comments to themselves. 'Back to normal'  they haven't got a clue.  A diagnosis can affect you for a very long time and just because things may seem normal to others, it doesn't mean that it is in your world.

Also sorry to hear that your partner doesn't want to talk, you are welcome to talk to me

I was diagnosed two years ago and also had a lumpectomy, i still get pain (a temporary burning sensation).

Its only been 7months since had lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed. so pain wil still be there for while.

Roller coaster yes , its been that , I actually thought i went through it all quiet well. 

Felt bit of a fake ..as wasnt unwell or anything..

But just recently , everything has got on top of me. Friends and family and at work ,they all think your back to normal.

Just get on with it , you were lucky , whats been said to me ! Smiley Surprised 

I didnt feel lucky when i was told i had Breast Cancer my first mammogram. 

Now im emotional all time and dont sleep to good and to top all that stressed at work.... my partner doesnt even want to talk about it, he just says , go talk to your pal.

or get tablets.... I do not want to go down that road.

Omg!! Reading all the comments about pain and discomfort so long after surgery and treatment, is such a comfort to me as I thought it was just me, although I just had my annual mammogram and it come back normal I still have doubts, also people think all is ok now you've finished treatment and back to work, plus good friends now ignore me and family (mother-inlaw)that didn't want to see me whilst going through treatment and didn't contact me or my boyfriend during our 'rollercoaster journey' now wonders why we don't join them for family events now, anyone would think I had a contagious cold/virus not cancer. Thank god I have amazing friends.

Omg!! Reading all the comments about pain and discomfort so long after surgery and treatment, is such a comfort to me as I thought it was just me, although I just had my annual mammogram and it come back normal I still have doubts, also people think all is ok now you've finished treatment and back to work, plus good friends now ignore me and family (mother-inlaw)that didn't want to see me whilst going through treatment and didn't contact me or my boyfriend during our 'rollercoaster journey' now wonders why we don't join them for family events now, anyone would think I had a contagious cold/virus not cancer. Thank god I have amazing friends x

Thanks somuch Pat for replying. I have my annual ms appointment Monday so will bring it up then. I think that my mind has been racing with WHAT IF'ssince the journey began. I amsure all will settle soon. Take care and keep well. xxx

Nice to hear from you Lesley and Mary. Smiley Happy

Lesley, I'm doing ok on Anastrozole (touch wood!). I'm having some hot flushes but not too bad. No pain in joints yet but I do take 75 mg of Amitriptyline daily for MS pain so I think I might have managed to kill two birds with one stone! Hope it continues like this!

My fatigue is through the ceiling! Was bad enough living with MS fatigue but it's even worse now. I'm not sure if it's the Anastrozole or my MS reacting to it. On the up side, at least I'm used to fatigue and my life is arranged to deal with it...have meals delivered, have a cleaner etc etc. 

For the first few weeks I had terrible trouble getting to sleep but it's better now. Just the occasional night. I take the pill in morning. Woman Happy

Mary, can you ask someone about your back? The rads nurse maybe for the BC nurse? It might be related...hard to say. It might be because you are so tired. When I'm very tired I tend to get lower back pain. 

Kelly, hope the pain is improving or at least that you are reassured and not worrying about it. I wonder if massaging the breast would help, esp if there's liquid it there. Might help to disperse it. There's more to this BC lark than it says on the packet!!!

Wishing you all well. Cat Happy

Pat xx 

Meant to as if you ever suffered back pain after all rads,op etc. I have quite stiff achy back and not sure if its all the cancer journey or ms related. xxxx

Hello Pat, just noticed you were on giving valuable advice as ever.

Well Rads over 3 weeks ago and it all went well although its the weirdest thing but I feel tired and wobbly more this week. The nurse at the hospital said to expect this as did my gp.

I am very consciousof every wee ache and pain and my mind then works overtime, hopefully that will settle in time.

I have the neurologist on Monday for my normal ms appointment so it will be interesting to see what they will say as I had my first relapse in June. 

It has been a crazy dark summer but hopefully all will be fine. Thanks for all help/advice. Mary