cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

154 REPLIES

Re: Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

I just wanted to say how reassuring this forum is.   Reading the posts has helped me enormously as I have been worrying about pain. Thank you lovely ladies. 

sessions. My left, operated on breast is now much bigger than the right, the nipple is very tender, I have stabbing pains, thickened lumpy areas and oedema. I am conscious of it all the time, bras don't fit and my left arm keeps bumping into the swollen side. I honestly wish I could have had a mastectomy instead.

Exercising with any vigour is impossible as it jolts the breast and is painful. 

Well, moan over, I otherwise feel OK, can taste food again properly and have some hair so no longer need a head covering. Counting my blessings! 

I am 7 months after lumpectomy, lymph node removal and 20 radiotherapy sessio

Highlighted

Hi Tucky. Just wanted to put your mind at rest and confirm that I am 14 months after lumpectomy and SNB and 11 months since radiotherapy and I still have discomfort on my treated side. I think its internal scarring and the result of radiotherapy. I believe this will lessen in time. I just had my first year all clear last month so I will take a little discomfort in the knowledge that all is ok. Wish you well and if you need to you can always speak to your BCN im sure she will put your mind to rest. 💖💖

Hi Ladies,

I am 6 months post op for lumpectomy and bilateral mammoplasty (reduction) and almost 4 months post radiotherapy.  

my problem is that my left breast, which is the one with radiotherapy is still really tender; i can't lie on my front at all.  i understand that the itchiness is part of healing but i just wonder if i am expecting things to be back to normal too quickly.

Also, has anyone else's scar become raised and hard ?  I am still finding wearing a bra uncomfortable (post op bra) on the left side and sometimes have to wear a dressing under the left side for comfort.  thanks xx

Will do x
Community Champion

racehl

Let us know how you get on if you want to xxx

Thanks for answering. I’ll call them Monday as pain is only recent. 

Community Champion

rachel root

It does take a bit of time for your breast to settle down after having had rads, I still get occasional aches and pains 20 months after finishing rads, but if you are concerned and need reassurance, give your bcn a call to see what she says xxx

I’ve just come on here for same reason although I only finished radio 3 months ago. After lumpectomy, sentinel node removal and radio plus boosts my boob is more painful now than the ongoing pain I had prior to diagnosis. Is letrozole a factor?

Hi welsh lady 66, I have just been going threw the stories again and noticed yours which I replied to in January. In April I was diagnosed with cellulitis and was on antibiotics for over 3 months, went for a mammogram in June first one since lumpectomy a yr ago and thank god it was clear. The consultant said it was due to radiotherapy.  3 months later I still have breast pain and it is like looking at blotchy red skin that covers half my breast. Every now and again it will feel cooler to the touch.how did you find out that you had fibrosis and lymphodema of the breast. Thank you jo 

My first mammo came back as clear too, i didn't think it wouldn't, just going to accept that to get treated and grt rid of the cancerexperience some problems afterwards but now i know what my breast now looks and feels like i know what is bew normal for examining my breasts x

I am a breast c survivor of 9 years and had cellulitis 4 times and took antibiotics and it always cleared up don’t worry it’s normal for women with lymph node removal 💓

I had lumpectomy on left breast 9 years ago got 14 lymph nodes removed because I had BC with lump removal and I went to atm reached out over my door jeep to deposit money in with left arm now I have breast pain and it’s really sore ....I hate when this happens

I had DCIS with micro invasion. All removed with clean margins. 15x radiotherapy, and now tamoxifen. I rang the BCN before when I had some discomfort - as some of you say, like the sensations that made me seek a mammogram in the first place. The pain is very mild, worse when I poke and prod. My first year mammo was clear, and that was only 2 months ago. As you are, I am trying to be positive as there is plenty of reassurance in this thread.

Hi mishy, I have now been told it is another side effect of radiotherapy and it may clear up it may not, still I will take that diagnosis as we all know we have faced worse. Jo x

I have them still too as well as some breast swelling but i did get a clinic app as i was worried so yeah i would ring if you are concerned we are all different so its better to get checked if you are unsure, mines breast lymphodema through rads and nerve damage from nodes removed i also had pain as a symptom as well as my lump xx

I had a wide excision and sentinel node followed by 15# radiotherapy, still getting sharp stabbing pains 8 months on, felt just like the pains that alerted me to the cancer in the first place, the trouble is who knows what is normal afterwards, don’t like to bother the bcn but worried about ignoring it, am also on letrozole , anyone else get these stabbing pains ??

Community Champion

Mishy

I am well thank you, spent the afternoon in the garden and I am absolutely shattered now. 

Got to rest up now as I have a bowls game tomorrow afternoon so a nice relaxing evening I think.

Thank you for your lovely words

Helena xxx

Ladies get it checked i did and it was post rads stuff fluid scars etc the relief was lovely, to be reasurred out my worries to bed so as Helena advised get checked out x
Hope you are enjoying the sunshine Helena and life is good as always you are always looking out for others 👍💖